Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rode rock stacker then popped back up on amass proper and rode upper ahab down through lower ahab. Impressive work, good flow on the lower. Upper ahab not finished yet and rather pedaly. Upper is more cross country. Lower is downhill fun.
    Lots of drops and jumps. Nice scenery and views of the desert. I would not take any beginners. Trail marked double black diamond. There are some real consequences on this trail if u screw up. Ride rock stacker and then ahab for maximum single track. One way only. Game changer for amasa back and limits conflicts with other users.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    Rode rock stacker then popped back up on amass proper and rode upper ahab down through lower ahab. Impressive work, good flow on the lower. Upper ahab not finished yet and rather pedaly. Upper is more cross country. Lower is downhill fun.
    Lots of drops and jumps. Nice scenery and views of the desert. I would not take any beginners. Trail marked double black diamond. There are some real consequences on this trail if u screw up. Ride rock stacker and then ahab for maximum single track. One way only. Game changer for amasa back and limits conflicts with other users.

Interesting. I was assuming the upper section was where the double black terrain would be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Interesting. I was assuming the upper section was where the double black terrain would be.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. Lower section is fun but not that technical. I can see them calling it double black to ward off any novices since once you drop down it's pretty hard to back out if you are over your head (plus that whole directional thing). I was kinda hoping to get more flow and features up top.

Props to the trail crew and anyone else involved in the Ahab trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just made a quick spring break trip to Moab after 5 months on the couch looking at snow. Hit this trail Tuesday night. So awesome I can't stop thinking about it. If I lived there I ride it every week. For those wanting to see more before they make it down to ride I shot some video with my VIO POV. NOT as good as the other link on here but you'll get the idea. Must add to any trip down. Took me a little over an hour to ride it. Signed well. Bottom sign does say for downhill travel only.
    Captain Ahab Mountain Bike Trail Moab -650B Cannondale Prophet - YouTube

mtbr member
    When I arrived at the Amasa Back trail head yesterday, I thought only the lower Captain Ahab was open and was looking forward to riding it. Right before coming down to Kane Creek, I met a couple from Tahoe and they informed me that the upper section was also open, yahoo!

As I was climbing the road, the rumble of Jeep Safari could be hear back at the trail head. Should I hurry or be worried about dodging 4x4s? I kept riding and very soon I couldn't hear the jeeps anymore. I stuck with my plan and rode out to pothole arch and returned on Rockstacker. Back at the road I only saw the tail end of the Safari, just a couple jeeps that had just passed over the "Cliff Hanger" part. So I was able to ride on with no jeeps to dodge for the rest of the ride.

I agree that both parts are awesome and that the lower part is more techy, but also more scenic. They are both a ton of fun.

While I was in Moab, we also did an out-and-back on 7-Up with the Gemini figure 8 attached. That was my first time on all those trails- sweet! It came out to about 37 miles.

Damn, those trail builders do nice work, thanks!

Here's a shot of some exposed lower trail.New Amassa Back Trail??-300261_10200849070936877_1609036294_n.jpg

Here's another view from the lower trail.
    New Amassa Back Trail??-381172_10200849069816849_327238881_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    can someone post a gpx that includes upper and lower captain ahab? better yet, post a gpx for amasa, pothole arch, rockstacker, then upper and lower captain ahab.

As an aside, is rockstacker as hard as some make it out to be? if one can ride most other stuff (porcupine, amasa, slickrock, etc.) is rockstacker that much worse? I found the exposure on jacksons to be too much.

Thx, Allan

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ez049 View Post
    can someone post a gpx that includes upper and lower captain ahab? better yet, post a gpx for amasa, pothole arch, rockstacker, then upper and lower captain ahab.

As an aside, is rockstacker as hard as some make it out to be? if one can ride most other stuff (porcupine, amasa, slickrock, etc.) is rockstacker that much worse? I found the exposure on jacksons to be too much.

Thx, Allan
    No real need for a gpx file if you ask me. It's very well marked now. In regards to Rockstacker, if you don't like Jacksons then you will probably not like Rockstacker. While there is less fall to your death scenarios, there are still places you would not want to fall. Personally, I think Rockstacker is more consistently harder than Jacksons.

That being siad, for those who are technically inclined, I would highly recommend a Amasa>Pothole>RS>Ahab loop.
    Last edited by Jwind; 04-12-2013 at 05:02 PM.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    No real need for a gpx file if you ask me. It's ver well marked now.
    +1. There are obvious signs at all the junctions. You'd have to work at losing your way.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The Trailbuilder riding his Trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Amassa Back Trail??-ahab_jmh_tyson_sm.jpg  

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by ez049 View Post
    If you can ride the switchbacks on Jackson, you will enjoy the tech challenges presented on Rockstacker. No exposure on Rockstacker but it's a more difficult trail.

JMH

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Very cool! Did not realize it was you taking pics out there when I buzzed through the other night!

mtbr member
    It is very easy to find. I rode it last week, good signage. Go up Cliffhanger aka Amasa Back and you'll come to a sign on the left, that signifies the mid point on Ahab. Jump on there, or continue up to the top of the climb to Upper Ahab. Once you're on that, you'll climb some more and then it's a fun downhill. Kudos to the trail builders for another great addition. It's easy to find and hard to lose. A .gpx file would be overkill. We then went up again and went down Rockstacker and Jackson. Rockstacker is for downhillers with excellent skills (not me), Jackson was fun and not as hard, but at the bottom it's like trying to escape from East Berlin in the '70's...next time I'd ride up and out to Pothole arch lookout and then back and down Ahab from the top.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-15-2013 at 06:44 PM.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    Huge THANKS for the crew who built AHAB. Nice lay-out and sweet singletrack. It's nice to get away from all the UTV's/4x4's.

There is some cool country out that side of Amasa back. You guy's did well !!!

mtbr member
    Just came back Sunday from a great weekend in Moab - and Captain Ahab is my new favorite! This trail rocks! I loved the first half and enjoyed the fact that it kept climbing coming off of Cliffhanger/Amasa back at that point. It has a beautiful mix of single track and rock. I am not great at big air, so I appreciated the rock ramps for us chickens - I am sure that people that like to fly off of things bypass the ramps in the air so they can have fun too.
    For anyone who hasn't done it yet and reads about it on UtahMountainBiking.com, that site makes it sound WAY more technical and scary than it really is. I thought it was fun, but not crazy hard. (To put my skill-set into perspective, I am more of an XC rider: I like climbing, flow, and semi-technical descents, but not big air). Rockstacker and Portal (the end of Mag 7) are not my cup of tea, but this trail was perfect!
    I hope the people responsible for making this trail happen read these posts, because they deserve praise and thanks many times over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    about that video. that is one seriously badass traildog!
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    about that video. that is one seriously badass traildog!
    thanks, nhodge. she's so fun to ride with. i can barely keep up with her unless i'm hauling ass downhill. rescue dogs make great riding partners

i shot some more footage the other day of the lower section a bit before you meet back up with the original amasa back trail. trying to ride it as much as possible before the summer heat hits us. definitely my favorite trail in moab right now.

I <3 Dirt
    Great video, thanks 84532. Can't wait to ride Ahab next month and big props to the trail builders and trail designers.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by 84532 View Post
    definitely my favorite trail in moab right now.
    Not hard to see why. I had a blast. I really wanted to ride it again (and again) but group dynamics/schedules just didn't work out for a repeat visit on my last trip down. It's the kind of trail where you can just let go and trust the trailbuilders. They really did a great job.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    its a fun one but jacksons is better

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Next time I do Ahab it will be out of the gate - Cliffhanger -> Ahab -> Cliffhanger -> Rockstacker -> Jacksons. We did it *after* Rockstacker and to be honest... I wasn't expecting the climbing on Upper Ahab. After the ride we'd already done it kinda kicked my a$$.

This route would also let one do *all* the trails and not skip out on Jacksons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Next time I do Ahab it will be out of the gate - Cliffhanger -> Ahab -> Cliffhanger -> Rockstacker -> Jacksons. We did it *after* Rockstacker and to be honest... I wasn't expecting the climbing on Upper Ahab. After the ride we'd already done it kinda kicked my a$$.

This route would also let one do *all* the trails and not skip out on Jacksons.
    Thats some good climbing still. But yea why not ride em all. Not a big fan of climbing but its a nessasary evil

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just finishing up a trip here in Moab and rode Ahab the first day on a recommendation
    from Dave at PSB. We had such a great ride on it we went back up and did it again right after. After riding it I had to go back and watch the video of it being put together but with a new found appreciation. Great job! You builders ROCK!! (no pun intended)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I loved Ahab! Was down there a week ago and almost didn't ride it due to being late in the day, weather turning bad and intimidation. I was a little scared to ride due to things i'd heard and the double-diamond trail status. People need to back off on the scary talk a little, the trail is not that difficult. It was a BLAST! Probably my new favorite trail of anywhere.

Adding to the experience was a sense of adventure due to the fact that it was getting late (nearing dark), there were thunderstorms all around and it felt risky. My partner was pretty nervous about the storm, and also not enjoying the unanticipated climbing, so we bailed out over to cliffhanger at the midway point and then blasted home. So i only got to ride the upper half, but it was amazing.

Super creative trail building, that couldn't be done anywhere else due to the unique terrain in Moab. I really wanted to get back and ride it again, and hit the 2nd half but the weather and timing weren't cooperating on my trip and i didn't get to do it.

Two days later i rode Porc. Rim from the bottom of kokopelli down to the river. If i knew then what i know now, i may have just gone back and ridden Ahab again! I definitely thought it was more fun and felt more purpose-built for mt bikes.

Great job to all involved in building Capt Ahab!
    Bend, OR

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Super creative trail building, that couldn't be done anywhere else due to the unique terrain in Moab. I really wanted to get back and ride it again, and hit the 2nd half but the weather and timing weren't cooperating on my trip and i didn't get to do it.
    Not to bum you out, but the route you took back by bailing 1/2 way and riding down amasa is like the same distance as continuing down Ahab. Doh.

I think the bottom half is better than the the top 1/2 and a bit harder. In regards to the double diamond rating. It's great that you gave it credence before lift off as many do not. Better to err on the side of caution in terms of rating. Enough people hurt themselves as it is.

Anyhow, just one more reason to come back Lower Ahab!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    This is a really good picture, J. Would love to have a bigger, high res version for my wall paper.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast