Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    It's going to be recommended downhill only. Unsure about the schedule for the upper portion which is mostly paint on rock, but the lower portion is easy to find if you head out the Minesweeper jeep road at the Step Up jump. You will see the tire tracks. It comes out at the very first switchback of the traditional Amasa climb, a few hundred yards up from the wash.

It's still not officially open and I don't have any say-so, so please respect the diggers and go ask at Poison Spider if it's ready to go. Thumbs up!

mtbr member

Re: New Amassa Back Trail??

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    It's going to be recommended downhill only. Unsure about the schedule for the upper portion which is mostly paint on rock, but the lower portion is easy to find if you head out the Minesweeper jeep road at the Step Up jump. You will see the tire tracks. It comes out at the very first switchback of the traditional Amasa climb, a few hundred yards up from the wash.

It's still not officially open and I don't have any say-so, so please respect the diggers and go ask at Poison Spider if it's ready to go. Thumbs up!
    :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Lower Ahab is signed, painted and officially open.

beater

New Amassa Back Trail??

Awesome. Very excited to check this out.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    It is sick. Rode it today. A+
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It is sick. Rode it today. A+

I second this post. Just rode it Friday and Saturday and it really brings a new flavor to Amasa Back. Trail conditions were perfect this last weekend - can't get much better than 60 degrees and dry packed trails.

Hats off to the builders - thank you so much.

More techie than at first and then moves into fast and flowey.

All around a good time.

The enterance is marked but it is a little ways off Amasa Back proper - they will be fixing this with a sign soon from what I was told.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode the 2 or so miles that's signed and open. Well done trail builders! Fun and flowy. I can't wait to see the upper section. I hope this new trail trend continues!

mtbr member
    I did some sleuthing and found a .gpx track for this trail (attached).
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    went up yesterday and rode the lower section from "mid-point". freakin' brilliant! signage is up and easy to follow. basically, the trail heads down the shelf/ledge system that is right underneath the amasa back road. i'm hoping it will be rideable at least part way into summer since a lot of the trail was shaded in the afternoon.

i shot some gopro footage, can't post it directly since this is my first post, but here's the youtube link...

/watch?v=u2Ac3lAbj_A

mtbr member
    Thanks for the video and the gpx files. Those added a lot of context for the new trail. We are headed down there in a month and I am excited to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 84532 View Post
    i shot some gopro footage, can't post it directly since this is my first post, but here's the youtube link...

/watch?v=u2Ac3lAbj_A
    Thanks for the video. Can't wait to ride the Cap'n.
    I'll try and embed it for you.

capt ahab - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thanks KRob.

the video doesn't really do the trail justice. i should've gotten some third person shots of the terrain but i was having too much fun to get off the bike and dick around with the gopro.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Can anyone give a rundown on the history of this trail?
    Curious about how it came to be 'official'....
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Can anyone give a rundown on the history of this trail?
    Curious about how it came to be 'official'....
    If you are insinuating that an illegal trail is now a legal trail, that is not the case. You may be thinking of a near by trail that IS still illegal. CA was built with blood sweat and tears . Seriously though, this trail is mega fun. It's somewhat akin to some of the newish type trails at the Lunch Loops up in Junction. Tough enough but still fast and uber flowy.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    If you are insinuating that an illegal trail is now a legal trail, that is not the case. You may be thinking of a near by trail that IS still illegal. CA was built with blood sweat and tears . Seriously though, this trail is mega fun. It's somewhat akin to some of the newish type trails at the Lunch Loops up in Junction. Tough enough but still fast and uber flowy.
    No, I wasn't really hinting at that. Just curious who flagged it, and how it was presented as a legitimate project.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any idea on the length of the entire trail when it's completed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Mega Props to the design and build team of Captain Ahab. I'm not sure I'll ever do the two track down or Jackson's again. This is the kind of trail we need much more of everywhere. It is just an excellent addition to Amasa! Thank you!
    Do something that scares you, every day of your life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

New Amassa Back Trail??

This is an amazing trail! Rode it yesterday, upper still not finished but lower is awesome!! Tons of flow, and probably my new favorite trail in the area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Are there signs at the bottom recommending "Downhill only, Do Not Enter" or is it just left to the discretion of all the riders who see new trail and want to go up it? Like I would
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Are there signs at the bottom recommending "Downhill only, Do Not Enter" or is it just left to the discretion of all the riders who see new trail and want to go up it? Like I would
    There is a sign. It really wouldn't be much fun to ride up. Maybe not as 'not fun' as riding up Rockstacker or Jacksons - but almost that 'not fun'...

mtbr member
    There is a sign. It really wouldn't be much fun to ride up. Maybe not as 'not fun' as riding up Rockstacker or Jacksons - but almost that 'not fun'...
    So how are people hitting the trail now? I though the upper part wasn't complete. Is there another entrance further up that is open to allow for riding now, or are people currently doing it as an out-and-back regardless. I'm going in 4 weeks, and I look forward to riding this trail...

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    So how are people hitting the trail now? I though the upper part wasn't complete. Is there another entrance further up that is open to allow for riding now, or are people currently doing it as an out-and-back regardless. I'm going in 4 weeks, and I look forward to riding this trail...
    There is a signed spin of from Amasa right before the Super 8. It's a maybe 1/2 a mile out the jeep road before you'll hit low Ahab.

mtbr member

There is a signed spin of from Amasa right before the Super 8. It's a maybe 1/2 a mile out the jeep road before you'll hit low Ahab.
    "Before" super 8 - is that above or below? In other words, while climbing or descending Amasa? I was thinking of climbing Amasa and going to pothole arch, then hitting the new trail on the way down. I've never ridden it with people who knew it well, so I'm now sure what Super 8 is, but I do know the entrance to Rockstacker. Does this start in that area as well? Which side of the Amassa trail is it on while descending back down?
    Thanks again - don't want to miss it! :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Paste eater
    It's the big drop that doubles back on it self - before cliffhanger. Well before Rockstacker or even Jackson. Maybe 2 miles in? It's well marked and it peels of to the left.

mtbr member

It's the big drop that doubles back on it self - before cliffhanger. Well before Rockstacker or even Jackson. Maybe 2 miles in? It's well marked and it peels of to the left.
    Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast