Outback Trail Commission

Need Useful Info 1st Time Visit to Utah/MOAB

A friend and his father are going to MOAB to ride next week and they are Midwest riders. Never been out west. Intermediate skill sets without a lot ot technical riding I would say. Which trails would you recommend for them to try and which to definately stay away from. They will be on hardtails so what tires are they running on Slickrock? I was thinking 2.35 on front maybe a Maxxis High Roller and what on the back?
    I'd rather be lucky than good!

Paste eater
    Honestly, if they are intermediate riders, I'm not sure they'll really tell a huge difference between tire X vs tire Y in terms of grip. Just about anything will grip on slickrock. It's not until you're riding varied terrain or really pushing a tire hard that its unique qualities come to light IMO.

That being said, I'm a huge proponent of big tires just about any where. The added stability, grip, cushion is huge. That and you can get 2.3. - 2.4 tires at a totally reasonable weight nowadays.

Lots of info on trails in the Moab sticky, but as a general rule of tumb, the brand trails and the klondike area are going to be you best bet for intermediate riders.

Picture Unrelated
    Have you read the sticky at the top of the Utah forum? It has a ton of great information in it.

Brand trails have a great mix of different types of riding. You can slowly work your way up the technical riding ladder between the various loops and connectors. Not a terrible place to get acquainted with the trail ratings and riding style that makes up Moab riding. Local shops are a wealth of information, don't be afraid to talk to them. I've gotten some pretty stellar recommendations from Uranium Cycles lately, but anyone out there knows what's going on.

Trails to stay away from with intermediate riders: probably Portal and Jacksons. Not smart places to take someone who isn't completely solid on a bike. Depending on just how intermediate those riders are, I would suggest some caution on the long trails like Porcupine and Mag 7. Between the heat, length, and technical riding you might get more tired than you expect. I ran into more than a few stories this weekend down in Moab of people having to rescue less prepared riders. One walked 6 miles out with a woman who hit the wall on Porcupine, and I've had to help a friend down about that same distance in the past. So watch the weather, start early, bring more supplies than you need, and make sure you realize that 15 miles in Moab is a hard 15 miles, even if you got a shuttle to the top.

Tires; I can't believe no one has jumped in to recommend "The Crow" yet... Anyway, slickrock is the least demanding trail for tires I've ever seen. I can't think of a tire that would be a bad choice; everything sticks and everything gets destroyed. I would just run what you normally run, a pair of 2.35 High Rollers would be a good choice. Your skills will get you far before your tires do. If you are riding outside of Slickrock (and you ought, Slickrock is one of my least favorite trails there) then make sure everyone is fitted with the highest volume tires they can fit. Honestly, on many trails you'll have a better time renting full suspension bikes. I've ridden hardtails and various FS rigs down Porc and you have a much nicer time with an FS rig.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Picture Unrelated
    Right, forgot this:

Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

All the trail recon you should need.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tires = you shittiest baldest xc pair.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Right, forgot this:

Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

All the trail recon you should need.

Agreed!