mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Need a Moab expert

So a group of 4 of us are venturing from the great state of KS to ride the Kokopelli for the third time in early May. Problem is, we never feel like riding anymore in Moab after a Porcupine Rim descent to cap off the ride, so have never ridden any more of Moab.

We're going to be in Moab for a full day in early May before this year's ride, and are looking for an way to ride a trail that represents Moab well, but don't want to burn out legs and lungs before the Koko trek. We're open to shuttling, etc.

Suggestions?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrotsky
    to ride the Kokopelli for the third time in early May. Problem is, we never feel like riding anymore in Moab after a Porcupine Rim descent to cap off the ride, so have never ridden any more of Moab.

We're going to be in Moab for a full day in early May before this year's ride, and are looking for an way to ride a trail that represents Moab well, but don't want to burn out legs and lungs before the Koko trek. We're open to shuttling, etc.

Suggestions?
    How much of the Kokopelli do you ride? How do you get to the Porcupine Rim Trail? Try the Blue Dot. Here is a link: http://seanambermoab.blogspot.com/se...max-results=48

Good Luck

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    How much of the Kokopelli do you ride? How do you get to the Porcupine Rim Trail? Try the Blue Dot. Here is a link: http://seanambermoab.blogspot.com/se...max-results=48

Good Luck
    Gold bar has some climbing in it, particularly if you start at the bottom of Gemini. But it is certainly a classic that is a great taste of the type of riding Moab is really great for. Personally, I think that Gold Bar blue dot into Gold Bar rim single track (also now marked with blue dots) is one of the best rides Moab has to offer.

As doc pointed out there are pictures all through my blog on it - i ride it almost every other trip to Moab.

should know better.....
    Gold bar actually has quite a bit of climbing from Gemini end, he said trying to save his legs....
    I'd say hit Sovereign, and then drive into Moab and do the Slick Rock practice loop.
    That'd give a different feel than much of the Kokapelli, and a sampling of slickrock, also a must do if you are in Moab. These shouldn't wreck your legs either. Sovereign is relatively mild as far as elevation gain/loss, as is the Practice loop.

mtbr member
    Either do Amasa Back, Sovereign or take a day trip to Fruita...

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Gold bar actually has quite a bit of climbing from Gemini end, he said trying to save his legs....
    I'd say hit Sovereign, and then drive into Moab and do the Slick Rock practice loop.
    That'd give a different feel than much of the Kokapelli, and a sampling of slickrock, also a must do if you are in Moab. These shouldn't wreck your legs either. Sovereign is relatively mild as far as elevation gain/loss, as is the Practice loop.
    Based on the original posting, this is good advice. I would second it. Blue Dot / Gold Bar is a great ride. It's probably not what someone who doesn't "want to burn out legs and lungs before a Koko trek" is looking for though.

Sovereign is kind of similar to the trail you'll see at the beginning of Kokopelli in Loma. Since you usually don't want to ride in Moab after Porcupine Rim, I'm guessing you either feel you've experienced the best or don't want to ride any more ledges. Either way, that rules out a lot of other classic Moab trails.

Have fun,

FW

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Thanks all!

Thanks for the suggestions all - great site by the way, Sean! If anyone else has some feedback, by all means keep it coming - thanks again!