mtbr member

New question here. Need a little help planning a trip to Utah in August

I'm planning a weeklong (7-9 days) camping/biking/hiking trip with my girlfriend to Utah during the last week of August and I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable and experienced cats could help me out. Unfortunately for me this isn't a mtb only trip as my girlfriend is on the beginner-end and likes to hike more than bike. But want to get in a few rides during the week. We'll most likely be crossing into Utah from the Southwestern corner as we're coming from California. At the end of our stint in Utah we'll be heading out the Northwestern corner on our way to Burningman. So I'm looking for 2 or 3 must-rides in the neighborhood of 2-4 hours long. It'd be great if the trail has options to do a less technical route that i can take the gf on. And if you have any other recommendations as far as hikes, sites, or places to camp that'd be excellent.

These are some of the areas I was looking at, but I feel like I'm just making a list of all the major parks:
    Zion
    Bryce Canyon
    Natural Bridges
    Moab/Arches
    Dinosaur

Lemme know...

Jay

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=
    These are some of the areas I was looking at, but I feel like I'm just making a list of all the major parks:
    Zion
    Bryce Canyon
    Natural Bridges
    Moab/Arches
    Dinosaur
    /QUOTE]

Your not getting your tires off the pavement in any of the Nat'l parks and Moab is a couple hundred miles out of the way.

Look up Goose Berry Mesa (sp) near St. George if you are determined to experience southern Utah. The now notorious Virgin Utah is only 16 miles off the freeway if that stuff interests you.

With the heat at that time of the year you would be better off in the mountains though. There are plenty of epic trails near Park City or you could check out some of the canyons/resorts right by Salt Lake. Those would include Little and Big Cottonwood Canyon and Mill Creek Canyon.

There is also a place on this website to get reader's descriptions of trails.

Hope that helps!
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
    Henny Youngman.

Owner
    Yeah, Moab is clear over on the east edge of Utah, so that would suck to go clear over there and back, but you could do it. Pretty much any canyon along the Wasatch Front will have a good ride for you, but not the same terrain as the southern half has to offer. Goosberry is a good idea. I've heard good things about the marathon trail near Navajo Lake up Cedar Canyon. (Cedar city)
    [SIZE=2]XC MTB + XC-T&F[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    When riding So. Utah in August heat is definately a factor. We either start very early, very late (lights), or bite the lower lip and just take a lot of water. Rides like Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek are approaching 5000-5500 ft in elevation and are somewhat cooler than the valleys. The other option that's within an hours drive north of St. George is Brianhead Ski Resort. Heat isn't such a factor and there are some pretty spectacular rides with incredible scenery. Most of it with long stretches of smooth downhill singletrack that are typically shuttled. Your GF would like that. Brianhead is also nestled between Zion and Bryce, and off season lodging rates are typically very reasonable if you wanted to do a layover between the two parks. Maybe look at doing a Gooseberry/Zion/Brianhead/Bryce series. If you make it up towards No. Utah/Salt Lake City your options increase drastically.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ is a great resource when looking for trails.

mtbr member

Here's a preliminary path...

Thanks for the input. After looking at a better map and distances I think we're going to stay mostly on the western half. Enter into the state on 56 and hit up the Cedar City/Zion/Bryce Canyon area. Go north to the SLC area, and then exit on 80. The dark grey line on the map is our preliminary/general route. I think it'll be better to cut down on the driving time so we can actually go bike and hike. Otherwise we're just driving around like mad fools too tired to do anything fun. Kinda like the Griswolds stopping at the Grand Canyon.

So we're planning on camping the whole way. Possibly staying in a hotel a night or two depending on how dirty we get. Sometimes a nice hot shower is a necessary luxury. Given our route does the heat during August make camping problematic?

Feel free to make any other suggestions given the route below:

Thanks again,
    Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

get up n jump

When is the snow going to melt here?

Northern Utah in late August has very nice weather. Trail 157 in American Fork Canyon is a great trail (just north of Provo). Wasatch Crest is a great trail as well. This has a great uphill section at first then mostly down hill from there. Definately check out this website for trail description to help choose like DmrRhythm said in a prior post. Most trails are a lot of fun here. Good luck and have fun.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Look here for good info on whats available in Cedar City.

http://www.brianhead.com/sumtrailsandmaps.html

Go down to the non-chairlift trails. Most are shuttle trails, but well worth it. Bunker Creek is very nice, Navajo Lake loop is pretty good for a novice rider. As far as up north, I don't know. But for this area, these are the trails. Bunker is at about 8-11000 feet though. (though most of it is downhill) And, Navajo is 9250-10000. Better get used to the thin air before hitting it hard. As far as camping around Cedar, it just depends on if you want amenities (water, toilets close, etc). Duck Creek Campground has these, as well as Cedar Breaks national park. There are plenty of places to camp that don't have any of that which are nice too. Bryce is scenic, however, not too much riding there. There are some nice hikes all around cedar mountain too.

Anyways, hope that helps a little.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Moab in August NOOOOO

Moab, Zion, in August is a mistake unless you plan on looking at the views from an AC car. August is time for the Mountains. La Sals in Utah have som nice riding. But in reality go to the CO rockies. Telluride is only 2 hour drive from moab. Theres more mountain biking, hiking then you can do in a lifetime His in Telluride in August 75 in moab 100.
    BSG

mtbr member

Thanks...

Thanks for all the info. Still have plenty of time to investigate and plan. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start narrowing things down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stay out of the Desert in August! You will fry yourself. Think Altitude and Mountains. Brianhead singletrack when you are south. This is unbelievably beautiful. I would also highly suggest spending time in Park City which is about 25 minutes east of SLC. YOu should be able to get some cheap lodging there. The GF will love the town, love the shopping, bars and restaraunts. You will love the riding. The Singletrack is sick and hugely extensive. If you want to do some lift rides, Deer Valley is right there with some of the best singletrack you have ever seen. Thats my 3cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sloth
    Stay out of the Desert in August! You will fry yourself. Think Altitude and Mountains. Brianhead singletrack when you are south. This is unbelievably beautiful. I would also highly suggest spending time in Park City which is about 25 minutes east of SLC. YOu should be able to get some cheap lodging there. The GF will love the town, love the shopping, bars and restaraunts. You will love the riding. The Singletrack is sick and hugely extensive. If you want to do some lift rides, Deer Valley is right there with some of the best singletrack you have ever seen. Thats my 3cents.
    If want to do a quick and fun downhill, check out the Bear Claw Poppy trail in St. George. Not super technical, but a lot of fun, especially for beginners. Only five minutes from the freeway too.

All the difficult stuff has easy paths around for the GF.

Cheers.

Also, Sundance has some pretty nice lift served trails on the cheap when you get up here.

Check out UtahMountainBiking's "Classic Must Rides" for the classic trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

slc rides

I suggest staying in or around slc for a few days and riding the wasatch. Wasatch Crest is a must do, but even numbered days are best because then you can ride down into Millcreek on the GWT and take pipeline down into the city. Odd days are dog days. This is the greatest combo ride, two of the great wasatch trails in one fell swoop. You start at the top of guardsman pass or ride up into it from park city. You'll need to shuttle it because it aint a loop.
    [SIZE=1]If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.[/SIZE]