bust a move

My last half day in moab, which classic?

My wife and I will be out west (for the first time) for a little over two weeks next spring. We will be coming from zion, bryce area after 3 days sightseeing, biking. My wife is really convinced we would love to check out and ride at dead horse point sp on our way into moab. Being married as long as I have, I have learned to say "sure", "cool" and "yup" sometimes when I am not strongly opposed to a plan. This will put us in moab late afternoonish on a Sunday.Then Mon. we are planning to ride the sovereign trail early and then go check out arches np which will wipe out most of monday. I will have Tues. morning until around 1pm to ride whatever I want solo as the mrs. will be doing other stuff. Then off to fruita.

Would you ride slickrock, porcupine or something else? I am an experienced intermediate rider who can ride the super techy stuff but I prefer flowy.

Thanks for any input or suggestions

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan View Post
    My wife and I will be out west (for the first time) for a little over two weeks next spring. We will be coming from zion, bryce area after 3 days sightseeing, biking. My wife is really convinced we would love to check out and ride at dead horse point sp on our way into moab. Being married as long as I have, I have learned to say "sure", "cool" and "yup" sometimes when I am not strongly opposed to a plan. This will put us in moab late afternoonish on a Sunday.Then Mon. we are planning to ride the sovereign trail early and then go check out arches np which will wipe out most of monday. I will have Tues. morning until around 1pm to ride whatever I want solo as the mrs. will be doing other stuff. Then off to fruita.

Would you ride slickrock, porcupine or something else? I am an experienced intermediate rider who can ride the super techy stuff but I prefer flowy.

Thanks for any input or suggestions
    Mag 7 is in the area and flowy. It's an easy shuttle and your wife can meet you at the bottom, ride to the Gold Bar jump-off point and back out to the highway in probably 2.5 hours.

Porc is a classic but depending on how high you go or how quickly you move you might be hard pressed to work out the shuttle logistics and get your ride in.

Slickrock is arduous but entertaining. You could try that if you want to see why Moab became so popular, but I really think Mag 7 or Porc would be more fun.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    for Moab flow, some of the finest for sure is UPS & LPS & then out the downhill section of Porcupine Rim to Sandhill Rd., not the downhill to the Colorado River considering your time constraints. you might want to add the Kokopelli section to get to UPS depending on the logistics of time & the shuttle. good luck making a choice between what you're going to get suggested to do from now & spring
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    for Moab flow, some of the finest for sure is UPS & LPS & then out the downhill section of Porcupine Rim to Sandhill Rd., not the downhill to the Colorado River considering your time constraints. you might want to add the Kokopelli section to get to UPS depending on the logistics of time & the shuttle. good luck making a choice between what you're going to get suggested to do from now & spring
    Good advice....could get a little of everything "Moab" and ride down Sandhill Rd. to the Slickrock trailhead and tool around until you're out of time. Practice loop is fun in both directions, and can do out and back, etc. The "fun" in the Slickrock trail is not blasting through following the hash marks, but playing around and discovering cool lines!

Paste eater
    The intrepid trails, while nice will take you an ~hour to do the "big" loop (whatever it's called) and it'll cost you 10bucks to get in and it's like 40 minutes from town. It is, however, amazing scenery and a nice ride IMO Sounds like you're kinda locked into that situation, but that's the vitals.

I don't dig slickrock. It's fun for 30 minutes, then I get sick of sprinting up steep climbs with my nuts on my stem. That being siad, it certainly is unique.

If it were me, I'd try and get on UPS/LPS or ride as high as time permits. Ma7 is great, but one of my favorite area rides is Amasa>pothole>rockstacker and then Jacksons if you want super tech or amasa for more of the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I don't dig slickrock. It's fun for 30 minutes, then I get sick of sprinting up steep climbs with my nuts on my stem. That being siad, it certainly is unique.
    Stop sprinting with your nuts......

There's a lot of fun stuff if you venture off the hash marks......bowls, drops, steeps, anything your nuts are in the mood for. Just have to stop and let them play....

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    Stop sprinting with your nuts......

There's a lot of fun stuff if you venture off the hash marks......bowls, drops, steeps, anything your nuts are in the mood for. Just have to stop and let them play....
    Yes, this is true. I just personally like other trails around better.

bust a move
    Thanks all for the suggestions, looks like some great options. If it were just me, I would get to moab as early as possible on Sun. and ride as many trails as the legs would allow...but I have to compromise on this trip.

The ups/lps ride with options seems like it would be alot of fun and can meet the time requirement. 1pm is more of a goal than a concrete restraint. I will most likely be back in a couple years to ride most of what won't be ridden on this trip.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan View Post
    The ups/lps ride with options seems like it would be alot of fun and can meet the time requirement.
    I rode from UPS down last sunday, started up kokopelli from sandflats to UPS trailhead. Great weather and trail was in great shape. That being said, recent snow this week may have made that section impassable. Worth checking into.
    Ride On!