mtbr member

Must ride recommendations in SLC / Provo area

Hey Northern Utah

I'm going to be visiting the SLC / Provo area (will be staying in Provo but can travel) from the Bay Area from May 22-26 and wanted to get some trail recommendations for the must rides in the area. My favorite riding is Trail / All-Mountain riding on very fast single track - I don't mind technical / rocky / chunky business, but my ideal trails are smooth flowy stuff with berms and jumps. I pretty much ride anything except pavement or super gnarly downhill stuff and don't mind climbing.

I will probably have 1 full day of riding and then maybe another half day. I'm up for anything and don't mind driving to get to the good stuff - I'm up for parks, lifts, shuttles - whatever method allows me to pack in the most Utah goodness. I did ride there many years ago and if I remember correctly I rode in Provo Canyon and did some lift riding at Deer Valley? - don't really remember the details.

Also, I will need to rent a bike and don't mind spending some $ on a decent one; I ride a Mojo HD. I would also love it if any locals want to ride with me - & I will happily buy you a beer or 10 - or soda pop - & also happily show you the goods if you ever visit the birthplace of MTBing.

Any suggestions on trails & rentals would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

LJ

mtbr member
    A site to get you started: Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page Weather could be a factor in that trails above 8000 feet could be impacted if winter never ends. Heber is near Provo and has some lower elevation riding. I'm looking at Deer Valley right now and am thinking about skinning up today to get a bit of skiing in! In the Park City area, Round Valley and Glenwilde are about dry and both have fast singletrack which is beautiful and not very technical. By the time you get here, Flying Dog could be in good shape and is a very nice 18 mile loop. Bob's Basin has some nice girly-man downhills (that's not an insult). The Bonneville Shoreline Trail has sections from Draper (near Provo) to Ogden up north.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    A site to get you started: Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page Weather could be a factor in that trails above 8000 feet could be impacted if winter never ends.
    Oh yeah - the weather! It has been so warm, sunny, & dry here + Tahoe is already rideable so I nearly forgot that weather can be a factor there well into June or July - I'm sure there are some good lower elevation rides though, right?

Thanks for the link by the way - I was reading some other threads here and somebody wrote something about Eagle Mountain being a really nice network of trails - but couldn't find anything on it - anyone have any advice on Eagle Mtn?

Thanks again!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    If you like berms you probably have to ride the Bobsled (in SLC) but it's only an hour worth of riding (well, the downhill is only 5 minutes) unless you do other sections of Shoreline as well.

There won't be any lift-served riding open in May. Bring your XC bike!

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you like berms you probably have to ride the Bobsled (in SLC) but it's only an hour worth of riding (well, the downhill is only 5 minutes) unless you do other sections of Shoreline as well.

There won't be any lift-served riding open in May. Bring your XC bike!

-Walt
    Thanks for the response! Any rental shop recommendations in the area? I am flying and don't really have an "XC bike"!

mtbr member
    Goride has great bikes, not sure of rental status. Worth giving them a call. Just got off Round Valley. As I mentioned above, it's dry. I would normally be happy to ride with you, but will be out of town on those dates.

Owner Epic Biking
    I have Giant Trance X 29er 1 bikes for rent at Epic Biking. Corner canyon and Provo canyon should both be good for riding. Like said above utahmountainbiking.com is a great resource. Also check out skidmap.com
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not sure if Canyon Bikes in Draper rent - but there's also an REI right nearby in Sandy (10600 S State St.)...

Corner Canyon here in Draper's pretty nice. Tons of fresh trail work, new routes, bypasses for the timid, etc. Maple Hollow, Rush Flow, Clark's, BST, Anne's Trail... you name it, you got it from XC to DH to climb freak (Jacob's). Easiest to find parking area is Equestrian Park next to the new MTB Pump Track. Loads of other parking areas for whatever type riding you want to do - Flight Park (paragliding) allows great XC access to the BST and Anne's - they interconnect with everything else a few miles into the network.

Good Luck! I may be able to find an afternoon to catch up with ya for more details when you get out here...

mtbr member
    The Rush flow trail in Corner Canyon is kinda bermy. Some people love it, others not so much. The Draper/Maple Hollow DH trail is also quite fun, and is in the same area. It is in southern SL county, so not too far.

I always have fun out at Mountain Ranch bike park, on the West side of Utah county. It will be very difficult to find on your own, but the Flintstone trail is lots of fun. Also a couple shorter trails to ride down and a skills park.

Sundance looks like it will be open by then according to their website. I have fun riding there -- it isn't the best lift-served riding, but probably the only area open in May. It isn't super gnarly downhill, but it is a fun place to ride. Not crowded, cheap, etc.

If you want to come farther north, the Road to Arcylon freeride trail on the way to Park City might be accessible by the end of the month. Lots of fun. I wouldn't come up for Bobsled -- it is 40 min climbing for 5 minutes of fun, but it is a must hit if you're in the area.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Thanks for these recommendations fellas' - these look like some good options - I am intrigued by anything that has the name flow trail in it so that Rush flow trail caught my eye - I'm going to research that one - can somebody give me a general idea where Corner Canyon is? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you want to do a trail that will leave a lasting impression do Dry Creek to Bobsled...If you want to lengthen the ride park at the zoo and take the BST over to Dry Creek

This will give you an idea of where all the trails are...

The Skid Map

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dude, skip the Rush Flow trail. It is neither a rush and it has no flow. It is not a good representative for the riding in the SLC area.You will be disappointed.

Head straight to the Bobsled and don't look back. The Bobsled is the best and most popular, trail in the Salt Lake area bar none and is world famous for a reason. It is one of the flowiest trails ever built. It shoots down a beautiful canyon with huge banked corners, berms, wall rides, car drops, jumps off of old cars, creek gaps,, tabletops,etc. It is suitable and fun for almost any ability from intermediate to expert. It is the probably most unique trail you will ever ride. It is classic.

Even though it is not a long ride, it worth doing a few laps. Park at the 11th Ave park and climb up (or hitch a ride) up Terrace Hills drive to the BST, then climb that trail up for 10 or 15 minutes, until you see the Bobsled. (ask around)

Or you can do the Dry creek option if you prefer more pedaling.

Either way, you will have a good time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideslc View Post
    Dude, skip the Rush Flow trail. It is neither a rush and it has no flow. It is not a good representative for the riding in the SLC area.You will be disappointed.

Head straight to the Bobsled and don't look back. The Bobsled is the best and most popular, trail in the Salt Lake area bar none and is world famous for a reason. It is one of the flowiest trails ever built. It shoots down a beautiful canyon with huge banked corners, berms, wall rides, car drops, jumps off of old cars, creek gaps,, tabletops,etc. It is suitable and fun for almost any ability from intermediate to expert. It is the probably most unique trail you will ever ride. It is classic.

Even though it is not a long ride, it worth doing a few laps. Park at the 11th Ave park and climb up (or hitch a ride) up Terrace Hills drive to the BST, then climb that trail up for 10 or 15 minutes, until you see the Bobsled. (ask around)

Or you can do the Dry creek option if you prefer more pedaling.

Either way, you will have a good time.
    Sold!

You had me at "huge banked corners, berms, wall rides, car drops, jumps off of old cars, creek gaps,, tabletops"!

Now to find a bike - so far 1 helpful poster let me know about a Giant 29er he has available for rent (Thanks!) - could work but may not be the ideal ride for this trail, especially for someone used to 26 - anyone happen to know the closest bike rental shop to Bobsled?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the Bobsled kicks the crap out of Rush, but why not ride them both? Corner Canyon trails are in Draper (south end of the valley).

Keep in mind that you will have to earn your turns and when the locals talk about doing laps on Bobsled they are talking about 30-40 minutes of climbing/flat stuff for about 5 minutes of descending. Occasionally you can hop in a truck with some kids who are shuttling (you can only shuttle part of the trail, though) and save yourself from a bit of that. You don't really need any particular type of bike for Bobsled - anything from an XC 29er to a full DH sled will be really fun. It's not "technical" per se but there are some moderate sized drops/jumps to hit. With the exception of the creek gap which I can't comment on as I'm way too chickenshit to hit it, everything is pretty doable on a rigid XC bike. Inspect before you commit, it's not maintained by anyone but the locals and depending on the time of year and motivation, lines/lips/landings change (or disappear) randomly.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice Walt - I'm used to earning a fun descent - don't mind climbing & am a pretty good climber - that's how the riding is here in Norcal so I'm used it - having said that, I will be on alert for these "shuttling kids"

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    If you want a beer after the ride, call me and drop by my place. I'm about 5 minutes downhill from the bottom of bobsled (1200 E between 100 and 200 S).

Or if you want a guide, call me up and I can give you the tour.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you want a beer after the ride, call me and drop by my place. I'm about 5 minutes downhill from the bottom of bobsled (1200 E between 100 and 200 S).

Or if you want a guide, call me up and I can give you the tour.

-Walt
    Thanks Walt - I may take you up on your generous offer - and it's good to know that there is beer to drink in Utah!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Depends on your desire to drive a bit but I'd recommend Bobsled and Arcylon given the description of the kind of riding you enjoy. I'd hit up Go-Ride for a rental, they're a solid DH oriented shop and could get you all the trail advice you need too.

Here's a couple videos that represent Bobsled well in their current state:
    bobsled trail in salt lake city utah gopro - YouTube
    Bobsled Trail, SLC, UT (Devon Sullivan) - YouTube

and Arcylon:
    29er Krispy at Arcylon - YouTube
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Depends on your desire to drive a bit but I'd recommend Bobsled and Arcylon given the description of the kind of riding you enjoy. I'd hit up Go-Ride for a rental, they're a solid DH oriented shop and could get you all the trail advice you need too.

Here's a couple videos that represent Bobsled well in their current state:
    bobsled trail in salt lake city utah gopro - YouTube
    Bobsled Trail, SLC, UT (Devon Sullivan) - YouTube

and Arcylon:
    29er Krispy at Arcylon - YouTube
    Thanks man! Both of these trails are right up my alley - that Arcylon video is amazing! I can easily find Bobsled on the sites referenced in this thread but could not find Arcylon - where is that?

Thanks!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Arcylon location info here. We just rebuilt it last weekend. It's running great but getting a hair sandy in a few spots. Need a bit of rain to pack all the new work in.