Thread: Moving to Logan

mtbr member

Moving to Logan

Hey,

I'm moving to Logan toward the end of this summer from Flagstaff, AZ. Looking for pointers and such.
    Anyone from there? What are your preferred bike shops? I visited and saw two. What are the general trails near town like? As for type of riding, I do everything. I ride a rigid SS 29er, full squish freeride bike, vintage 26" bmx cruiser, 24" street/park bike, and a touring bike. I've lived in Utah before, down in Kanab so I know what Utah in general has to offer but I haven't heard much right in the Cache Valley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Logan is where I was reborn as a mountain biker. I do not live there now, but there are many trails. Several Logan riders post here: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/index.php

A few trails here: http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?...m=terrain&a=MB

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Living in Logan now....the riding is not bad at all....suits different styles well. I also ride anything from rigid 29 SS to hardtail to my Bottlerocket, and have favorite trails depending on how I feel like riding. Green Canyon has become one of the best around for easy access and a good pre- or post-work ride....people have been working on various obstacles, kickers, etc....assuming more work will take place this year to make it even more fun. There are a handful of good dh trails if you know where to go, although I'd say they can be a little loose at times from not being ridden hard very often. Overall there's a lot of big climbs with big descents as payoffs.

Give me a holler if you want when you're in town....there's a couple good groups of people I ride with in the valley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder
    Living in Logan now....the riding is not bad at all....suits different styles well. I also ride anything from rigid 29 SS to hardtail to my Bottlerocket, and have favorite trails depending on how I feel like riding. Green Canyon has become one of the best around for easy access and a good pre- or post-work ride....people have been working on various obstacles, kickers, etc....assuming more work will take place this year to make it even more fun. There are a handful of good dh trails if you know where to go, although I'd say they can be a little loose at times from not being ridden hard very often. Overall there's a lot of big climbs with big descents as payoffs.

Give me a holler if you want when you're in town....there's a couple good groups of people I ride with in the valley.
    Awesome. Good to here. I'll definitely hit you up when I move up there in July. And the other poster, thanks for the trail info

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You seem to be missing a XC / Trail / Pedally AM bike. And that is the essential bike to have to Logan area rides. You want something pedally here. $.02.

Other than Green Canyon, which gets alot of riders, not much in the way of trails built for MTB riding. Be ready for big climbs and big descents, on loose rocky / rugged trails. Start in Green Canyon (perfect place for the SS). Its a fun fitness afterworks / lunch break ride.

With 1 or 2 exceptions there really are not any freeride shuttles in Logan either. Keep the big bike for trips to Moab / St. Grorge. Maybe they will do a bike park at Beaver Mt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBJong
    You seem to be missing a XC / Trail / Pedally AM bike. And that is the essential bike to have to Logan area rides. You want something pedally here. $.02.
    That's what my rigid SS is for. It's pretty pedally at 32:18. It's definitely my most used MTB.

My squishy bike is climbable in a pinch too.

mtbr member
    Two rides that I found to be rather stellar was up Steel Hollow and down Rick's Canyon. The other is the descent down Richard's Hollow. You can shuttle that one with your downhill bike. Anyhow, I didn't find either to be any more rocky than the stuff we have in Flagstaff.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Steel hollow and Ricks are awesome trails, also try Jardine Juniper, thats one of my favs around here.. Due to all the recent changes at Green..... I have replaced my late and early "quick" rides with the trail up Providence Canyon! Semi technical and pretty damn fun! And its also shuttle-able like Green. Hit me up if you wanna shred sometime.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes