mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Moving to Cedar City

I just found out I am going to move to Cedar City, does anyone know how the riding is there??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cedar

It's fantastic - if you are willing to drive all of 45 minutes or so, you can be riding every day of the year. Thunder Mountain, Gosseberry Mesa, JEM, Little Creek, all the St. George area trails, Three Peaks, the ski runs at Brian Head...you'll have some great riding within easy striking distance.

St. George can be hot during the summer, but Cedar is great. And when you guys in Cedar have snow in the winter, we have great riding days in St. George.

You're gonna love it.

NOT Team Sanchez
    ditto to what SUSD said, I'd say this corner of the world has the best riding to be found when you consider proximity, variety, and trail quality!!!!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    how much does it snow in the winter??

mtbr member
    There is an active mountain bike club in Cedar City
    http://www.colorcountrycycling.org/
    or the flickr group
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/colorcountrycycling/
    which rides year around. It dos snow in Cedar in the winter and it can vary a lot from year to year but it melts off pretty fast.
    Yea it really sucks here in the winter you have to drive all of 45 minutes to get a ride in or if it's really bad you have to drive all of 2 hours to Bootleg Canyon or Blue Diamond

mtbr member
    Yeah stuff is pretty cool here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've lived in Cedar for about 2 years now and love it. Both the 'C' trail and Red Mountain a.k.a. "the Razorback" are right out my back door.

In summer I can drive to the western end of the Virgin Rim Trail in about 15 minutes.

Indeed each winter has been very different - my first winter here was pretty light and I managed to get a ride in at 3 Peaks just about every weak - the granite-derived soils there drain quickly and hold up well when wet. Not this year though-snow lingered out there for several weeks.

Another winter ride I like is the Green Lakes road up to Cedar Highlands. They plow the road year-round and is an awsome workout with great views. I'm really surprised more people don't ride this one - well I guess because St. George IS only 45 min away.

Also, I'd never been into roadbiking before I moved here, but there are so many long, quiet, and scenic country roads, I couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thats sound so good! i am moving there for sure in december of next year and mtn bike race so i do lots of training on the road! i live in colorado and have great roads and was just hoping that they have similar roads to here, with this news and i even more excited!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Riding in cedar is great. C-trail, take the 'hidden' trail for a way more technical run. You can head up an hit razorback which isn't a bad trail. If you head from the top of razorback a little north then drop in along a few certain spines you will be able to hit a few drops a few of us made, as well as some dirt jumps at the bottom. also, virgin is like 30-45 minutes away, you can;t go wrong with virgin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Dude there is a ton of riding down there. Everyone has mentioned all the riding in St. George area. Brian Head resort is a bikers paradise. Plus there are a ton of great trails around there. I'm jealous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i moved here earlier than i thought i would, anyone willing to show me around some of the trail? just give me a pm
    thanks

mtbr member
    I live in ST G. If you make it down here let me know. I dont know Cedar though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    cool, sounds good thanks

NMBP
    Color Country Cycling Club usually has a mountain bike ride every Saturday. We meet at Cedar Cycle 9:00 AM. Non club members are welcome, the only requirement is you must wear a helmet.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.