mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Mountain Biking at Cherry Peak resort near Logan?

Does anybody know of Cherry Peak is going to have mountain biking? I've read some news articles that say they will, but found no official statements and nothing on their site. I was really excited about that because the nearest lift assisted stuff and bike parks are about an hour or more away. Being a poor college student, traveling every week + work doesnt add up to well. Plus I know a bunch of people around here are itching for some downhill. Anyone have any info?

I didn't do it
    My guess is that if the trails are ever built it won't be for awhile. It's a new resort and who knows how the financials work out. Without summer revenue to justify the cost of building and maintaining trails i just don't see it happening, at least not now. I've never been there but my general sense is that the terrain isn't that great, especially for downhill riding. You could be looking at <10' runs as near as I can tell.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Your Best Friend
    Cherry Peak invited me up there earlier this year as a representative of the Utah High School Cycling League. I design and build trails for the league. Anyway, myself, a local coach, a local builder and a Cherry Peak manager spent the day going around the resort talking about what it would take to get the league to have an event up there. They'd apparently been talking about building trails up there with the intent on eventually having the league race up there as we have the potential of bringing a lot of people and money up there. Unfortunately, it just won't work to have a league race up there and we had to turn them down. I don't want to say that we killed their plans but I don't think it provided any impetus either. I hope that helps.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Your Best Friend
    Just re-read what I wrote. Should have written last year. It was either late April or early May.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Dang, I guess I had some really high hopes because I don't like using gas...But I knew that answer was coming all along. I guess snow basin isn't to terrible far away to go. Out of curiosity, why didn't cherry peak work out? Distance? Or is the terrain bad?

Your Best Friend
    Not enough parking, too much elevation gain

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Cherry Peak invited me up there earlier this year as a representative of the Utah High School Cycling League. I design and build trails for the league. Anyway, myself, a local coach, a local builder and a Cherry Peak manager spent the day going around the resort talking about what it would take to get the league to have an event up there. They'd apparently been talking about building trails up there with the intent on eventually having the league race up there as we have the potential of bringing a lot of people and money up there. Unfortunately, it just won't work to have a league race up there and we had to turn them down. I don't want to say that we killed their plans but I don't think it provided any impetus either. I hope that helps.
    What was the main issue? Was it the logistics and cost of actually building trail?

Edit: We posted at the same time, it looks like you answered the question.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    Dang, I guess I had some really high hopes because I don't like using gas...But I knew that answer was coming all along. I guess snow basin isn't to terrible far away to go. Out of curiosity, why didn't cherry peak work out? Distance? Or is the terrain bad?
    If you have some buddies you should consider doing the Tony Grove/Bunchgrass shuttle. Fun trail. And its a lot closer and easier to drive to than Snowbasin.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    If you have some buddies you should consider doing the Tony Grove/Bunchgrass shuttle. Fun trail. And its a lot closer and easier to drive to than Snowbasin.
    Yeah I'm not complaining about lack of trails. I do mostly trail riding around and have done most of the trails. I haven't been to tony grove area yet but this year I will. I don't have any buddies who bike so shuttling is out unfortunately. Plus sometimes I just want to spend a whole day riding trails and a lift helps being able to ride a lot of trails without having to driving in between.

mtbr member
    It's too bad that Beaver Mountain is too far from a major population base. There is a ton of terrain up there that could be made into some delicious cycling goodess. Tons of room for both XC and All-mountain stuff. I'm not sure if it's long/steep enough for true DH runs, but it could be considered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I was actually talking to a friend who knows some people at who work at Beaver Mountain the other day. I guess they have looked into building trails in the past but the resort is surrounded by national forest so they have trouble getting permits to even build new ski runs, let alone take out a couple trees to make a bike trail. Politics....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Where to ride around Logan ? , I'm going to be in Logan for work on and off for several months !

Mainly looking for Cross Country type nothing extreme on the downhill side

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    I was actually talking to a friend who knows some people at who work at Beaver Mountain the other day. I guess they have looked into building trails in the past but the resort is surrounded by national forest so they have trouble getting permits to even build new ski runs, let alone take out a couple trees to make a bike trail. Politics....
    That may change in the future. The Forest Service is in the process of researching/studying the benefits of selectively thinning out the timber in the forest of Northern AZ right now. They are doing it for the purpose of preventing massive forest fires like they have had in the recent past. I just read a story about the issue in Arizona Highways magazine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle View Post
    Where to ride around Logan ? , I'm going to be in Logan for work on and off for several months !

Mainly looking for Cross Country type nothing extreme on the downhill side
    There are only 3 downhill type trails that I can think of around Logan, the rest are all up and down, nothing to hard. Green canyon is super easy and butter smooth, providence canyon is a little bit tougher but nothing much. My person favorite is sink hollow loop if you don't mind rock gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    That may change in the future. The Forest Service is in the process of researching/studying the benefits of selectively thinning out the timber in the forest of Northern AZ right now. They are doing it for the purpose of preventing massive forest fires like they have had in the recent past. I just read a story about the issue in Arizona Highways magazine.
    That sounds interesting. I read somewhere that the Utah legislature is thinking about spending more for building trails. Hopefully we can see a couple more mtb-specific trails in Logan like in salt lake and St George.