Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

More Mag 7 Questions

Sooo, I'm heading up to Moab next weekend to do some riding with some friends from CO and I'm heading up from Sedona (kind of a lil 1/2 way hangout spot). We're planning on doing some riding on Saturday and I have some questions about Mag 7 as I'm a lil confused at the moment. We would be starting out from the Bull Run trail.
    My buddy is bringing his girlfriend so I need to find out how to exit the trail before the crazy last parts because she is not as skilled as us or in shape for the last parts. I heard there was a way to exit on a jeep trail or road or something to cut the last few extreme parts out? If not I'm gonna talk them into the Slickrock trail instead cause I know that's at least a shorter trek. Or else maybe making a loop of the first few trails on Mag 7? Soo confused and soo many options haha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Magnificent 7 Trail

Basically where Little Canyon ends and meets up with Gold Bar (both ST and Jeep 4x4), you can instead exist out via Gemini Bridges road. Its not the most fun trail, and does have a bit of climbing involved. But it is a 2wd jeep road (clearance issues more than needing 4wd). You end up across Rt-191 from the Brand Trails / Bar M. Can take a tunnel over to those if you want more riding.

Alternatively, you could ride uphill on Gemini Bridges road back to your car at Bull Run. Or ride up one of the other trails on that half of Mag-7 as well (like Arths or Getaway).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So...Your talking about the Portal trail? It can be walked, its pretty short.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    Magnificent 7 Trail

Basically where Little Canyon ends and meets up with Gold Bar (both ST and Jeep 4x4), you can instead exist out via Gemini Bridges road. Its not the most fun trail, and does have a bit of climbing involved. But it is a 2wd jeep road (clearance issues more than needing 4wd). You end up across Rt-191 from the Brand Trails / Bar M. Can take a tunnel over to those if you want more riding.

Alternatively, you could ride uphill on Gemini Bridges road back to your car at Bull Run. Or ride up one of the other trails on that half of Mag-7 as well (like Arths or Getaway).
    This is the advice you want.

1) Exit out Gemini.

2) Do as a loop. Beware. It's a credit card ride that way. Descend first and then climb out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And I would add, exit out Gemini Bridges Road down to Rt 191, is a HUGE let down after the fun you've had doing the first half of Mag 7.

mtbr member
    You know what's also a huge letdown? Watching your girlfriend (or anybody in your party) run out of food, water, and completely meltdown while you are somewhere halfway through the Golden Spike section.

Perpetual n00b

Re: More Mag 7 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    You know what's also a huge letdown? Watching your girlfriend (or anybody in your party) run out of food, water, and completely meltdown while you are somewhere halfway through the Golden Spike section.
    That seems to happen to dozens of people every day all across this state.

Did this person in your party not realize their consumption rate was going to leave them dry before the end of the ride?
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yea so the Gemini Rd. exit is a big let down so gonna scratch that.
    How would hitting the first few trails and maybe adding in Getaway and returning back to the parking at Bull Run go? Like I said I was a lil confused because MTBProject first listed the Mag 7 as a 14.6mi trail and once I actually sat down to read the description it turned into a 20+ mi with extreme stuff towards the end. I'd definitely be in trouble if I end up having a hand in killing my friends' girl. And we both have cars so not even sure if we could make it down the Gemini Rd. exit either.
    Would Slickrock be too tough for a beginner? When I have more time by myself I'm definitely doing all the epic trails there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I can only comment on the first half, as that is what I have done, exiting out via Gemini Bridges Road down to Rt 191.

But, you don't have to do the extreme stuff, that is Portal. You can continue onto Poison Spider and exit out that way. Though it is more of a Jeep trail (4wd not 2wd like Gemini Bridges is). With a proper parking lot at the bottom.
    Either way, going down Gemini Bridges or finishing up at Poison Spider, you'll want to leave car at the end.

Others can comment on which route would be best for an out-n-back from the top.

Slickrock is IMO, do it once to experience it, but I have no intention of going back.

Depending on how beginner the people in your group are, might be worth looking at the following, from easy to harder:
    Moab Brand Trails
    Klondike Bluffs Area Trails, Moab Utah
    Sovereign Area Biking Trails in Moab Utah

mtbr member
    May 2014
    So as far as parking goes I'll follow the directions in the MTBProject app to get to Bull Run trail start but to park the exit shuttle do you come up Gemini Bridges Rd. from hwy 191 or 313 (the way you get to the start of bull run)?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Gonna try to end the trip after doing Little Canyon. So start @ Bull Run on Gemini Bridges Rd. and Hwy 313. Then exit off after completing Little Canyon if that's possible, and have the shuttle parked there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another moderate loop option is to park at the junction of hwy 191 and 313. Ride up 313 4.1 miles until you hit the 7-Up trail which takes you to the top of Gemini bridges. Start at Bull Run then exit out to Gemini Bridges Rd where Little Canyon ends as described above. Take 191 north (trail by hwy?) back to your car.
    7-Up is a little difficult to find but is described very well in utahmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Does the end of Little Canyon connect to Gemini Bridges Rd.? Or do I need to take a left on Gold Bar Rim 4x4 rd to Gemini Bridges Rd where I can park the shuttle?

Desert Seeker
    First, just to let you know, depending on the day of the week, you may be able to get a shuttle like Porcupine Shuttle or Coyote to drop your party off at the top of Gemini Bridges Road. Typically you follow the van out of town and park (leave a car) at the Brands trail head. Then, you bike out of the bottom of Gemini Bridges Rd at the end of your run and grab your vehicle. You can do the same yourself with 2 cars but then you have the drive at the end. The bike out the Bridges Rd isn't that bad - it is 5 miles.

If you prefer to do a loop, I would park the car at Gemini Bridges coming in from the top. It is mostly smooth dirt road down to the Bridges parking lot. From there, bike a 1/4 mile down the road to the 4 way trail intersection. If you want the grand tour, go down Great Escape, up Little Canyon to Arth's. Then, you can climb up Getaway to Gemini Bridges Rd. Go right up the road, catch a small bit of 7-Up on your left to Bull Run trail head. Go down Bull Run to the car. I think it is like 18 to 20 miles doing that. If that is too much, skip the lower loops although they are fun. Either way, you end on a downhill run. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Is it possible to just do Bull Run, Bridges, Arth's Corner, and Little Canyon? I think even that distance may be pushing it for my friends girl but I really wanna do part of the Mag 7 and next time do the full run and Great Escape and Getaway also. But the beginning of Mag 7 (Bull,Bridges,Arth,Little) sounds like it's super easy and fun.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Oh and we will have 2 vehicles to shuttle, my friends' want to make it as cheap as possible so can't hire a van unfortunately.

Paste eater
    Slickrock is not a beginner trail.

Desert Seeker
    You probably should have a high clearance vehicle to park at the end of Little Canyon/Gold Bar Rim intersection. The roughest section for a vehicle is coming in from the bottom of the Bridges Road (from highway 191). Can you get your vehicle in from the top of the Bridges Rd all the way down there? I'm just not sure - there are a few rough spots. Basically, the Bridges Rd hits the start of Gold Bar Rim and the end of Little Canyon ST right after a steep down, which I believe is now a hard asphalt-like surface. There is some deepish sand at the bottom of this. May be a little confusing.

Also, just bear in mind that Bull Run may throw in a few sections that a novice rider may not enjoy very much.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yea planning is not my forte and Im driving myself nuts trying to plan this. If it was just me and my male friends this would be a no brainer smh

Desert Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunacy View Post
    Yea planning is not my forte and Im driving myself nuts trying to plan this. If it was just me and my male friends this would be a no brainer smh
    Here is a good sight with some useful information: Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    You probably should have a high clearance vehicle to park at the end of Little Canyon/Gold Bar Rim intersection. The roughest section for a vehicle is coming in from the bottom of the Bridges Road (from highway 191). Can you get your vehicle in from the top of the Bridges Rd all the way down there? I'm just not sure - there are a few rough spots. Basically, the Bridges Rd hits the start of Gold Bar Rim and the end of Little Canyon ST right after a steep down, which I believe is now a hard asphalt-like surface. There is some deepish sand at the bottom of this. May be a little confusing.

Also, just bear in mind that Bull Run may throw in a few sections that a novice rider may not enjoy very much.
    I wouldn't ride any of Mag7 With a novice. Especially since you have to climb out. I've driven my subaru in Gemini. It's a little hair at the top. Sand is also an issue when you get further in. Would not drive a 2 wheel drive vehicle in there.

mtbr member
    Is it possible to just do Bull Run, Bridges, Arth's Corner, and Little Canyon? I think even that distance may be pushing it for my friends girl but I really wanna do part of the Mag 7 and next time do the full run and Great Escape and Getaway also. But the beginning of Mag 7 (Bull,Bridges,Arth,Little) sounds like it's super easy and fun.
    This is possible, although imo using Great Escape and skipping Arths is a better option. There is a sign at the bottom of Little Canyon that says something to the effect of "need and exit?" with directions out to gemini road and the brands. For effort, this would be a LOT easier than backtracking all the way back up the road to the top.

Agree on taking a novice on mag 7. We can't diagnose how advanced your riders are. I will say that, while not as scenic, Getaway is a little easier than Bull Run. Getaway, Great Escape, Little Canyon out gemini would be the easiest way to do it, short of taking the road the whole way down.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    This is possible, although imo using Great Escape and skipping Arths is a better option. There is a sign at the bottom of Little Canyon that says something to the effect of "need and exit?" with directions out to gemini road and the brands. For effort, this would be a LOT easier than backtracking all the way back up the road to the top.

Agree on taking a novice on mag 7. We can't diagnose how advanced your riders are. I will say that, while not as scenic, Getaway is a little easier than Bull Run. Getaway, Great Escape, Little Canyon out gemini would be the easiest way to do it, short of taking the road the whole way down.
    Okay so say I do your variation starting with Getaway, Great Escape Little Canyon to Rd, after exiting little canyon to Gemini Rd, would I ride back to the car at Great Escape down/up the road (not sure which way elevation goes) or do I park a car at the exit of little canyon? Some people were saying it might be a little rough to park a car in that area?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I wouldn't ride any of Mag7 With a novice. Especially since you have to climb out. I've driven my subaru in Gemini. It's a little hair at the top. Sand is also an issue when you get further in. Would not drive a 2 wheel drive vehicle in there.
    Agree on this. If you're hauling any beginnerish folks out there I'd be sure they are experienced outdoorsy/hiker types that aren't going to get overwhelmed with the terrain and be cool just enjoying a day out in he desert potentially hiking lots of stuff. Much of early Mag 7 is very rolling terrain where having a lot of experience carrying momentum, dumping gears, using a dropper post, etc is a huge benefit. It's tough to put a beginner in those spots and not expect them to get frustrated. Between ledges, sand, and cactus, there are plenty of things to catch people off guard out there and inflict some pain. And honestly, the best parts of Mag7 are Blue Dot and Portal. The rest is really fun but it's all pretty typical Moab riding that you can get in a lot of other places. If cost of getting a shuttle is a concern I don't know that I'd want to be running two cars all over the place out there just to ride upper Mag stuff. I'd honestly say just go hit some of the great new Klondike or Brand trail stuff that allows easier bail out options and doesn't necessitate a bunch of shuttling. Save the full Mag experience for another time, it's worth it.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Okay so say I do your variation starting with Getaway, Great Escape Little Canyon to Rd, after exiting little canyon to Gemini Rd, would I ride back to the car at Great Escape down/up the road (not sure which way elevation goes) or do I park a car at the exit of little canyon? Some people were saying it might be a little rough to park a car in that area?
    Assuming you're using a shuttle, leave a car at the Brands trail head. When you get to Gemini road after Little canyon (you'll have some sandy jeep road to negotiate for a couple hundred yards out to Gemini) turn right (not left-a big hill immediately) and it's pretty easy pedaling for 2-3 miles. Then you have the climb and descent out. The climb as climbs go isn't bad, but it has about 4 false summits, is fairly boring, and comes at the end of lots of fun downhill, so is pretty anti-climatic.

I wouldn't try getting a typical car to the exit of Little canyon unless it was a beater I didn't care about and was prepared to pay a lot of money for it to possibly be towed out. You CAN drive nearly anything from the top down to the bridges themselves. From there you could hop on Getaway and climb up to Bull Run. If folks are struggling here, you could turn around and call it a day, as Getaway is probably the easiest trail in the area. If they're doing good, head down Bull Run, Great escape, then climb Little canyon and Gemini (easier) or Arth's back to the car. That also means if someone is worked at the end of Bull run, the car is right there. If you go to utahmountainbiking.com and look at the trail descriptions (mostly the maps) I think you'll get the gist of what I'm suggesting.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast