mtbr member
    Feb 2013

More classic Hurricane Rim?

So I finally rode the entire Hurricane Rim loop a couple weeks back and it was super sweet! One of the best rides I have ever done for sure. The only negative at all was the boring dirt road climb to get to the Goulds Singletrack... We all kinda mentioned how strange it was to not have a continuous singletrack the whole way. We imagined that there must be a reasonable potential route if a new trail were to be approved and cut. Maybe have an option to stay up high after doing the climb to the top of the regular Rim trail (when coming from the East)?
    Has anyone ever thought the same thing? Or has anyone ever explored any possibilities? Just thinking out loud in a public forum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As I understand it the reason there isn't a singletrack is that most of the land surrounding that road is privately owned and the owners are old school SW Utah and would happily let you run cows out there but not so sympathetic to us 2 wheeled folks. I may stand corrected but I am pretty sure this was what I was told when asking the same question years ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There is single track up to the H and over the ridgeline. It eliminates most of the road but the initial climb is a butt kicker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    There is single track up to the H and over the ridgeline. It eliminates most of the road but the initial climb is a butt kicker.
    Where is this ST? I can't find it on a map.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post
    Where is this ST? I can't find it on a map.
    When you come up the first steep hill from the highway you will start to head down. To your right, you will see what looks like ATV trail - you can also see the ATV tracks heading straight up the hill. That is your initial climb. It is as bad as you think it will be. If you are fat like me you might even have to put a foot down or walk a section, but once you get to the top it turns into very rideable singletrack. Its fairly rocky so the ATVs havent torn it into joyless ruts either.

Im not saying its better than riding the road, but it is there.