mtbr member
    May 2011

Moose in Park City...Common?

Visiting Park City today from Texas. Loved everything about it. Amazing singletrack, amazing weather, amazing colors. Was going to just to Armstrong/Spiro but couldn't bring myself to stop and rode Midmountain to Deer Valley, then turned around and caught John's to Sweeny's. Right before John's meets Sweeny's, I came face-to-face with a big 'ol female moose. It freaked me out big time, and I scrambled back up the trail and yelled at the thing for about 10 miuntes to try and get it to run away. But it just stood there chomping leaves and guarding the trail. It never even occurred to me that I might run into a moose here...I thought that was Alaska/Canada type of stuff. Is this a common thing?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I see them maybe once a year; I've seen more rattle snakes this year than anything else. You get used to it.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Moose are common, ran into 3 pairs of mother and kid in one run. Watched a friend of mine (dog) get run over by a bull, been charged a couple of times (not trampled) and usually don't have trouble motivating them off the trail. Sometimes you just gotta go around them though.

mtbr member
    I think I've seen two or three everytime I've done Armstrong/Spiro/Mid mountain CMG Jenni's trails. I bet they're pretty used to seeing people but I'd still give them a fairly wide berth.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I see a bull or a cow/calf just about everytime I ride in that area and the Big Cottonwood/Solitude area. So it is pretty common, especially this time of year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    agreed, seeing a moose on park city trails is pretty common, especially this time of year.

DOH!
    Just don't come between a cow and her calf (calves), nor between a bull and his girlfriend (beat a hasty retreat off John's last week due to just that situation) and you'll be fine.

This time of year, especially, it's very common to run into moose in PC. They're not particularly bright, but they're big, fast, and can have a pretty short fuse. Generally speaking, yelling at them isn't very effective. If one is blocking the trail, just route-find your way around. It's faster, if a PITA sometimes.

I rode Armstrong to MM to John's to Sweeney's this morning. Met a cow and THREE calves at the top of Armstrong, and another cow and two calves on MM just past Spiro/Powerline. Had to bushwhack around both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been riding American Fork Canyon a lot lately and have seen moose almost every time I go up there. In fact I see way more moose than deer. I did see a gang (that is the correct term, btw) of about 50 elk last time. That was really cool to see as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had a run in with a big bull in Logan canyon once, it was freaky but he wandered off so we followed for a bit. kind of stupid but we didn't have a problem with him, lucky I guess. He kept stopping around sharp corners to wait for us, then he got annoyed and trotted off the trail over a hill. same ride I busted ribs on for the first time. 20 years ago, good times. I started to wear a helmet after that.

mtbr member
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've seen them in BCC and over on Arcylon near Jeremy Ranch this year. Kinda freaky how big they are when you get close. I've often thought it was a little ironic that I've been in some pretty remote places in my life, and never been as close to a moose nor seen as many of them as I have just about 6 miles away from SLC.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

CoopsDad
    Oct 2005
    Yup and they really don't like Texans!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by srescigno73 View Post
    Yup and they really don't like Texans!
    Ha...them and everyone else!

gunslinger
    Mucho moose in that whole region.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Moose at Big Springs

Almost ran into a moose and calf up at Big Springs in Provo Canyon just coming on my way down from the spring, pretty scary those things can get angry.
    Bear Down

mtbr member

Fairly common in Utah

Here are a couple I spotted. One @ Snow Basin on Art Nord and the other near Affleck Park up East Canyon. These are the two places I see them most often. I like moose. They never wave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moose in Park City...Common?-moose-snow-basin.jpg  

Moose in Park City...Common?-east-canyon-moose.jpg