mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Moab this weekend... Suggestions?

Taking my first trip out to Moab this weekend. I've been reading as many threads as possible but still have questions. I'm an intermediate-advanced rider, on a Giant Reign 1.

I'll be there Friday around noon through Sunday night. I'll for sure be doing Slickrock since that seems to be a classic.

Thinking of doing Porcupine Rim / The whole enchilada. How long should I expect that to take. My big question here is Shuttles... How do I go about getting a shuttle ride to the top? Should I try to take the shuttle from town or will I be wasting my time with how busy this weekend is and try to find someone who is willing to drive me to the top? In your opinion, would it be better to do the whole enchilada or just porcupine rim?

That still gives me plenty of time to do other trails... What do you suggest? I don't mind technical, but I also like fast and flowy and I'm all about the downhill.

Any other random input for my trip this wknd?

Thanks!

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Evader 53 View Post
    Taking my first trip out to Moab this weekend. I've been reading as many threads as possible but still have questions. I'm an intermediate-advanced rider, on a Giant Reign 1.

I'll be there Friday around noon through Sunday night. I'll for sure be doing Slickrock since that seems to be a classic.
    Well, if you must.
    Thinking of doing Porcupine Rim / The whole enchilada. How long should I expect that to take.
    For intermediate rider unfamiliar with Moab riding 4-6 hours is a fair estimate
    My big question here is Shuttles... How do I go about getting a shuttle ride to the top? Should I try to take the shuttle from town or will I be wasting my time with how busy this weekend is and try to find someone who is willing to drive me to the top?
    Yes, run a shuttle. Call Kyle at acme. If that doesn't work try Poison Spider, Uranium cycles, Jesse........etc. Shuttles are good. Try to get the earliest one you can hit without making yourself suffer.
    In your opinion, would it be better to do the whole enchilada or just porcupine rim?
    Go from as high as the shuttle takes you. Burro down if possible. If not start at Hazzard
    That still gives me plenty of time to do other trails... What do you suggest? I don't mind technical, but I also like fast and flowy and I'm all about the downhill.
    Downhill trails in Moab are few. See if someone will tell you about Chili Pepper. Ride Portal. And if you like a fun, kinda downhill, but more a very fast pedal, try Mag 7. Oh yeah, look at hell's canyon.
    Any other random input for my trip this wknd?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you want to get on a Hazard down shuttle, you might want to reserve one in advance. We took a shuttle last Saturday (Porc shuttle from Poison Spider bike shop), and there were a lot of people showing up to try to get on the shuttle that were turned away. Worth $25 to avoid 2 hrs of driving to self shuttle. Very fun trail.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I reserved a 7:30 shuttle for tomorrow morning, definitely do it in advanced. If you're camping you want to get there as EARLY as possible. Finding spots gets real hard.

Slickrock is fun and should be ridden once just for the hell of it but I think we're doing porc rim on sunday instead.