Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab Trip Planner

255K views 1K replies 292 participants last post by  MSU Alum 
#1 ·
This thread is designed to assist the uninitiated in planning a trip to the mecca that is Moab, as well as provide the experienced with a variety of new and different views on old favorites. There is a similar thread over on the Arizona forum that has proven very useful.

Some ground "rules":

-Keep it productive and on-topic. Respectful disagreement only, please.

-Try to word your description for someone who has never been, ever. This is not as easy as it would seem.

-Strive for brevity.

-Beta on trails, link-ups, bike shops, restaurants, camping, etc. Title posts appropriately.

-Demonstrative pictures welcome.

#494 ·
Any word on how the conditions in Moab have fared over the past couple of days? We are in Fruita today and were planning to hang here for a couple of days before heading to Moab but might mixup our plans if the riding is better in UT over the next couple of days.

#495 ·
Moab received a soaking rain yesterday. It is misty and cloudy this morning. Supposed to clear up later and Sunday looks sunny. Best riding areas right now would be Slickrock, Pipe Dream, the Amasa Back area and I guess Mag 7. There will be standing water and wet sand of course. Definitely avoid the Klondike area with its clay. Some of the Brands Trails are subject to rutting. The new Navajo Rocks would probably be good. Porc double track would be good but I'd give the singletrack a day to dry out.

#496 ·
Hello. I'm going to participate in the Moab Enduro Cup at Klondike Bluffs on 9 May. Any guidance on the best place to camp nearby? Ive looked at the map and it looks like the Devils Backbone campsite would be quite a ways from the event from a driving perspective. Any advice is appreciated.

#497 ·
I'm going to be in Moab next week for 3 1/2 days and wanted to see what you guys think of this for a ride plan.

Day 1: HyMasa/Capt Ahab
Day 2: Whole Enchilada (not sure how high up we will be able to start this time of year)
Day 3: Mag 7 to Portal
Day 4: ?? We will only have the first half of the day to ride, any ideas? Did slick rock last year, and Klondike, both great rides but looking for something new.

#498 ·
If you are winding down, Navajo Rocks is a good area. Basically, two loops to choose from - do one or both. If you are feeling like something more aggressive, you could do Hymasa/Jeep Road to Roackstacker/Jacksons or skip Jacksons and do Ahab again. A third option would be to go out to Bartlett Wash and play around on the slickrock.

#500 ·
See the maps for Moab's trails on Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.. You will find Navajo Rocks there and the most up to date for the Klondikes and KLONZO. print and bring along or buy each network of trails from a moab bike shop for $2-$3. That money goes to the Moab Trail Mix, the group building our trails. New trails in Gemini too, but discovermoab doesn't have those up yet, waiting for the Trail Mix to provide trail descriptions for Wildcat, Mustang and Hildago. in Dead Horse Point another loop of trail opened November 2014 too.

#503 ·
Hi there,
I am planning a trip to Moab for the week of 9/26-10/4. My riding level is intermediate/advanced. This thread has been very helpful to get a really good idea of what the place and riding looks like. I just found out that the Outerbike festival is happening on my second weekend so I will consider it.
I will be driving from Baja, Mex taking two driving days each way from my week, leaving riding from Sunday afternoon to Friday maybe Saturday. I would prefer to camp.
So far what I have is:
Camp at Sand Flats and ride Slick Rock (one day) and the Whole Enchilada (one day).

This would be my first time there so any info and recommendations will be very appreciated on what trails not to miss, camping or lodging options, etc.
Thanks before hand.

#506 ·
I went to Moab fot the first time last October, In my opinion TWE is a must do, but I dont think I would do slickrock again. They have a 2-3 mile test loop if you just want to check it out. After a couple of miles it is all the same petrifed dunes. I would hit up what some of the other suggested. Amasa back, captain ahab etc.

#504 ·
#505 ·
one thing I don't think is mentioned is that you have to understand that "trail ratings" are like ski trail difficulty, they are local to the area. And Moab trails are an order of magnitude more difficult than many folks from out of the area are expecting.

I did TWE on Sunday, and it was not an easy ride by any means. I personally didn't care for Porcupine Rim Double Track, but you have to endure that to get the single track reward at the end.

The views are amazing, but I think there is better riding elsewhere in Moab, but that's my opinion. Amasa Back is top drawer though, no question.

#507 ·
I go to Moab every October and camp at Sands Flat. Bring your own water and be prepared to do trips for ice and firewood. Hopefully you won't have to deal with noisy neighbors (my experience has been hit or miss). I always ride the Slickrock trail (it's right down the road after all) and Porcupine Rim (as a loop from/to Sands Flat with a last little stinger of a paved climb at the end to get back to the camp site). Amasa Back is a fantastic trail, Poison Spider is kind of a one and done ride (too much sand), and the Portal trail is an experience you'll never forget whether you ride some or none of it (it is extremely dangerous and actually strongly discouraged by the BLM to ride some sections). Moab Rim is a grunt but pretty rewarding once you're on the Mesa.

#513 ·
The shuttles do not only go up Geyser Rd. for the TWE shuttle, there are a variety of rides throughout the area that they will drive you on. Just call one of the shuttle companies and I'm sure they will accommodate you. Hazard is past the Geyser Rd. turnoff so you might have to endure a longer shuttle ride if they are taking others into the mountains but that would be the worst of it. They have a minimum number of riders to justify a trip so you will probably have to share.
There is sporadic reception at best in the mountains. Don't count on a cell phone for rescue. SPOT would be more reliable. Mainly bring water, lots! I have heard from several people how they have had to offer up their water because people are bailing off the trail dehydrated , that said, things are cooling down a bit now.
If you haven't ridden out here before you might try some stuff closer to town to get used to the trail conditions, altitude and temps.

Have a good trip:thumbsup:

#520 ·
No camping suggestions?

Also, I'm on a Tallboy LT with XT clip less pedals. I have some platform pedals that I've never used. No protective gear except an XC helmet. Should I just leave my normal pedals on and walk the drops, or do you recommend platforms and some running shoes or chuck Taylor's. How many people clip in on whole enchilada and Slickrock trails?