Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the update!

I'll keep watching the forecast and check in again a few days before I leave.

I plan on bringing my rv trailer down (instead of pay for somewhere to stay) but I usually camp out by Sovereign/Klonzo or up cane creek road. How are the road conditions? I don't mind getting everything dirty but I don't want to do irreparable damage and jack up the roads or venture down there and find out access is closed.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything is fairly dried out at the moment.I rode my dirtbike in the upper Porcy area yesterday and there was very little mud. My best advice is to just size it up when you get here because we do have some wet/ snow conditions shaping up for the end of this week. The road out to Klonzo stays in pretty good condition year round as it is packed pretty good, except across the wash. I'm sure you will find something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How are things looking for this weekend? Forecast just appears to be cold, which I can deal with but are mag 7, navajo rocks and/or amasa still rideable?

mtbr member
    No first hand info, but based on pics from Guerilla Gravity over the last week, all that stuff looks good. Unfortunately the Poison Spider conditions page hasn't been updated in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE View Post
    How are things looking for this weekend? Forecast just appears to be cold, which I can deal with but are mag 7, navajo rocks and/or amasa still rideable?
    Yes

Revised 1-27-17: Navajo Rocks is rideable with patches of thin snow. Amassa back same. Upper Mag 7 and Horsethief trails have patchy snow to 8" deep depending on where you ride. Excellent crust and perfect for fatbike, not doable on regular MB
    Last edited by SAM313; 01-27-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Tigers love pepper...
    You guys get rain yesterday and last night as well? Thinking of heading over from Grand Junction tomorrow if you're drier than we are.

Desert Seeker
    Well, pretty dry so far - I rode Pipe Dream this morning and it was great. However, we are getting a few stray showers and hard to say if we will get significant amounts. Sounds like it is much drier than GJ though, so....

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Well, pretty dry so far - I rode Pipe Dream this morning and it was great. However, we are getting a few stray showers and hard to say if we will get significant amounts. Sounds like it is much drier than GJ though, so....
    Thanks. We ended up chickening out since it was still saying like 60% chance of rain. Wasn't keen on driving over and playing it safe with Slickrock for example (and then maybe riding in the rain on top of that).

Of course later I saw like 3 other guys I knew all went and said the dirt was great..... meanwhile I went for a road ride here. Sad.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Trail conditions for this weekend?

Heard there was snow over the weekend. Poison Spider's trail conditions website hasn't been updated since last week:
    Trail Conditions: Moab Utah MTB Trails Current Update

Pretty sure Amasa and Mag 7 trails will be ok, but curious about Porc.

Desert Seeker
    Porc is open but not LPS. THey were dropping at Lazy Man's entrance. It is warm so may change...

mtbr member
    Heading to Fruita tomorrow and then Moab on Saturday. What's the current update on Porcupine? How far up are you able to ride?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Heading to Fruita tomorrow and then Moab on Saturday. What's the current update on Porcupine? How far up are you able to ride?

Thanks!
    glesoine posted that info 39 minutes prior to your post.

mtbr member
    Uh... His post above says a week ago.

pedlr
    Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
    Subject: BLM Campgrounds Filling Early Every Day--Please Share with Staff & On Websites

Hi All:

FYI--Our campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.

Anything within 10 miles of Moab have been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.

Upper River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).

The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.

We are sending people to Windwhistle & Hatch as a last resort. Dispersed camping, following the restrictions and regulations, is also an option if they will be arriving before dark.

Visitors need to know that they should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. They could consider making a reservation at a private campground for their first night and searching for a site the following morning, IF they want to drive around. If they are arriving late afternoon or evening, reservations at private campgrounds are the way to go if they are planning to stay in the Moab area.

We think the days of driving to Moab and finding a site in our campgrounds after mid-day in the spring and fall may be dwindling fast.

In order to better serve visitors, we would deeply appreciate your help getting this information out, including your websites, since our website is still being built and not helpful at all.

Thanks so much for being such great partners!

Sharon

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
    Subject: BLM Campgrounds Filling Early Every Day--Please Share with Staff & On Websites

Hi All:

FYI--Our campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.

Anything within 10 miles of Moab have been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.

Upper River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).

The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.

We are sending people to Windwhistle & Hatch as a last resort. Dispersed camping, following the restrictions and regulations, is also an option if they will be arriving before dark.

Visitors need to know that they should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. They could consider making a reservation at a private campground for their first night and searching for a site the following morning, IF they want to drive around. If they are arriving late afternoon or evening, reservations at private campgrounds are the way to go if they are planning to stay in the Moab area.

We think the days of driving to Moab and finding a site in our campgrounds after mid-day in the spring and fall may be dwindling fast.

In order to better serve visitors, we would deeply appreciate your help getting this information out, including your websites, since our website is still being built and not helpful at all.

Thanks so much for being such great partners!

Sharon

Hard to believe it could get even more crowded. It is hard to imagine how it is all going to work ten years from now if visitation continues increasing at the rate it has for the past ten years.

Formerly of Kent
    Time to start planning and building some high country trails. Altitude and distance from town will keep traffic palatable..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Time to start planning and building some high country trails. Altitude and distance from town will keep traffic palatable..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    There already are great trails in the La Sals, but they are snowed in until May-June. They don't help the Spring crush.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. How many hotels can you build? And Moab already has a huge labor issue. They can't run businesses without people to work at them, but Moab is too expensive for the average worker now. The problem is solved in other tourist places by having workers commute from elsewhere, but that doesn't work in Moab. Building giant low rent apartment complexes seems to be the only solution, but that destroys the character of the town, although the actual town of Moab's character is pretty unspectacular outside of a four square block area around downtown. Moab also has infrastructure issues. Their sewer system is completely maxed out, to the point where the park service now has to haul the crap from the pit toilets hours away to dispose of it.

Eventually there will be a water issue, too. Moab gets its water from wells on the upper side of Spanish Valley and they won't last forever. In theory they could take water from the Colorado, but there are a lot of expensive issues with that.

"Loved to death" doesn't begin to describe the situation. At this point it is corpse abuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So, I was out in Moab over the weekend of 4/1. Holy Hell.

The traffic was insane, every hotel and campsite were full. Saturday morning, the Arches entrance road had spilled out onto the highway, and the traffic was backed up from the river all the way to City Market. Solid. I'm not kidding.

Every trailhead was mobbed. Every coffee shop and restaurant were mobbed. There were absolutely no parking spaces at City Market and the other grocery store, people were parking on the streets around them. You had to wait for a pump at the Maverick.

They are still building and building, there are at least three more hotels framed up already. I think someone there needs to get a handle on things, but being Utah, it is all a cash grab.

I can't imagine what Jeep Week will look like. This was as bad as any Jeep Week I saw up until I started avoiding Moab during Jeep Week.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^ Pretty much like that the weekend before (3/24-26) as well. It's a great place but I've come to avoid it (this last one was a family trip) except for balmy days in the dead of winter when I can dash down not have to get in line to wait in line.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Coming down arriving Monday. Plan was to camp out at Walmart in Price on Sunday Night to get a spot Monday morning. Are the spots a little further up the 128 a safe place to aim for? Can't see us getting in by 8am, and quite frankly not sure I want to camp where there are people driving through to get spots prior to 8am anyway. May revise and head up the 313. How much different is the weather up that way, looking like a cool down next week and I wouldn't enjoy if it gets much colder than about 65f during the day when we are hanging around camp.

mtbr member
    My buddy and I were planning on heading in June 9th, do you think we could reserve a campsite? Are there sites near a river or stream? Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    My buddy and I were planning on heading in June 9th, do you think we could reserve a campsite? Are there sites near a river or stream? Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?
    You can try to reserve at a commercial campground, but the BLM sites are first come, first serve. You can also reserve at Dead Horse Point State Park, which is 40 minutes from town.

There are National Forest campgrounds in the mountains that are 30-40 minutes from town that are next to Mill Creek, and the Warner Lake campground is next to the lake. Ken's Lake is much closer and is near, but not on, Ken's Lake. The BLM sites along the river go fast, but you can always try when you arrive.

Moab Campgrounds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?
    Yes, my Yeti SB5 has 127mm of rear travel with a 160 fork and it's just fine. The bike is not the limiting factor unless you decide to huck every drop on Rockstacker, or something equally ludicrous.

mtbr member
    Hi friends. We were thinking of trying to hit Moab in October. Never been before.

Will we be faced with the same mad rush as this last spring? I'm thinking the answer is "probably," but for those in the know please advise! I only see a couple comments from 2016 Oct-Nov.

If it's going to be that crowded we'll probably seek our MTB adventures elsewhere - any recommendations on other destinations within a decent radius?

Desert Seeker
    October is a pretty busy month but it sure is a nice time to ride in Moab. I used to schedule the 1st week in November to ride Moab and felt like we had the place to ourselves. You can always split it up with Fruita if you don't like how busy it is when you get here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Hi friends. We were thinking of trying to hit Moab in October. Never been before.

Will we be faced with the same mad rush as this last spring? I'm thinking the answer is "probably," but for those in the know please advise! I only see a couple comments from 2016 Oct-Nov.
    I have not encountered the crazy-busy crowds in the fall that you get in the spring. Don't get me wrong, there are people, but just not the same level. I would totally plan it.
    As was already said, November can be awesome and you may find yourself nearly alone.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    I have not encountered the crazy-busy crowds in the fall that you get in the spring. Don't get me wrong, there are people, but just not the same level. I would totally plan it.
    As was already said, November can be awesome and you may find yourself nearly alone.
    Good stuff. It looks like we are following through with it. When does the snow start up at Burro pass? We really want to do TWE but also want to go as late into October as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good stuff. It looks like we are following through with it. When does the snow start up at Burro pass? We really want to do TWE but also want to go as late into October as possible.
    Burro is up over 11,000 feet; conditions vary from year to year, but by late October there is almost always snow, and the shuttles have ended. And, even if the trail is passable - keep in mind that it will be bleeping COLD.

Lower parts of TWE are rideable year round, of course - so you'd be able to ride at least half of it. Or, ride some of Moab's 200+ miles of other trails.

mtbr member
    Like others said, mid-late October is a lovely time to ride Moab and for the most part the trails are less crowded..... which is to say not crowded at all. Don't count on doing the Whole Enchilada but Hazard down is usually still available (depending on the most recent storm) and the rest of the trails are still perfect.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Like others said, mid-late October is a lovely time to ride Moab and for the most part the trails are less crowded..... which is to say not crowded at all. Don't count on doing the Whole Enchilada but Hazard down is usually still available (depending on the most recent storm) and the rest of the trails are still perfect.
    Don't know when you last visited Moab in October, but it is now extremely busy. I know a shop owner in town who set a revenue record last October, more revenue than any other month, ever.

Go take a look at hotel prices for October. A lot are already sold out, you can still get a room at the La Quinta for 10/20-21: $294 a night plus taxes. $672 for two nights.

This is real, look for yourself.

National parks expect record crowds this weekend - Moab Sun News: News

mtbr member
    Oh I know Moab is busy, I meant out on the trails. I rarely see that many people once I'm riding, even on the busiest weekends.

I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Just stay away from downtown Moab and you'll never know it's crowded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just stay away from downtown Moab and you'll never know it's crowded.

Unless you are looking for a campsite...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There was snow in the mountains last night; not enough to close The Whole Enchilada, but it will be cold and wet.

Trail Gnome
    Planning a trip for early-to-mid May. This will be our 3rd time in Moab; first time in the spring. Renting a condo.

Questions:

1. How are the crowds then? I see there is a "Rally on the Rocks" event in May. How big of an event is it?

2. Trail recommendations for a 10-day-ish stay? We'll likely do Klondike Bluffs area trails, Mag 7 area trails, Slickrock, TWE (as much as conditions allow), and Amasa Back area trails again. These were our favorites. We walked a few very short sections of TWE and Captain Ahab, but rode pretty much everything else.

I searched this thread for a top-10 list, but couldn't find one. If there is one, could you please direct me to it.

Thanks.

r.

mtbr member
    North Klondike
    Sovereign Trails
    Navajo Rocks
    Bar-M (worth riding if you're there for 10 days)

I'd head down to Monticello for a day or over to Fruita just to mix things up too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Planning a trip for early-to-mid May. This will be our 3rd time in Moab; first time in the spring. Renting a condo.

Questions:

1. How are the crowds then? I see there is a "Rally on the Rocks" event in May. How big of an event is it?

2. Trail recommendations for a 10-day-ish stay? We'll likely do Klondike Bluffs area trails, Mag 7 area trails, Slickrock, TWE (as much as conditions allow), and Amasa Back area trails again. These were our favorites. We walked a few very short sections of TWE and Captain Ahab, but rode pretty much everything else.

I searched this thread for a top-10 list, but couldn't find one. If there is one, could you please direct me to it.

Thanks.

r.
    Just got back from Moab from a 6 day visit and it sounds like we are similar skills-wise. Here are my thoughts:
    1. Mag 7 is always good but very disappointed in the Portal exit - seems that it has had more erosion than I remembered. I use to ride much of it and ended up walking quite a bit. May have had something to do with the heat and exhaustion but it wasn't as good as I remembered.
    2. First time riding Klondike Bluffs and really liked it, particularly the left section of Alaska and Nome.
    3. Avoided Bar-M after riding it on a prior trip, nothing that I really enjoyed.
    4. Did 3/4 of TWE starting near Hazard. Some had said Porc had eroded but I didn't find that at all. Really loved it like always.
    5. Did Hymasa to Captain Ahab, just a great trail.
    6. We did a day up near the start of Mag 7 and rode Getaway that parallels Bull Run, then went over to Gemini Bridges just to see it and hang out for a while. Then we rode back to the start and shuttled the first 3.2 miles of Getaway a few more times just for fun. It's not really technical but we had fun on it. There are also some other trails near Getaway that get good reviews on Mtbproject.com that you may want to check out.
    7. We did Slickrock but heard the recommendation to do it on a full moon night if the timing works for you. That would be interesting.
    8. We didn't make it to Fruita or Grand Junction this year but have done it in the past and would recommend it.
    9. Heard good things about trails south of Moab but have never checked them out.

Other advice which you probably already know is if you are going to be there 10 days, build in some fun days to not ride - maybe rent an ATV or go swimming. I'm pretty beat up after riding 6 straight days with no rest.

Other advice - we did an air b and b rental in the houses/condos on Williams Street. They are three bedroom and we really liked them. The location is perfect in that they are on the north end of town, not far from the bike shops and good restaurants. Also really close to Amasa Back. And fortunately for us on this trip, right across the street from the hospital - a buddy wrecked on Ahab breaking three ribs and suffering a collapsed lung (on Day 1 of all things).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I see there is a "Rally on the Rocks" event in May. How big of an event is it?
    Huge. Massive. Over 1000 side-by-side ATVs. If you've seen the movie Mad Max - now imagine something 100 times larger. You won't be affected on the bike trails; but you'll need to plan ahead for restaurants, groceries, and traffic in town.

For trails - you don't say what sort of riding you like, or trails in Moab you like, but in some sort of popularity order:
    - TWE (probably Burro Down that time of year)
    - Hymasa/Ahab @ Amasa Back
    - Mag 7 (or just "Mag 3.5" where you avoid Portal)
    - Navajo Rocks
    - Slickrock
    - North Klondike
    - South Klondike
    - Klonzo
    - Pipe Dream
    - Bar M (don't diss it - there's some really technical stuff there)

Waldmeister
    Anyone in Moab the week of Thanksgiving and looking for a riding buddy?
    I will be around and play it by the ear if I will go riding - depending on snowfall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    IMTB

mtbr member
    Alright guys. T-14 days for me and my buddy. How is Burro pass looking? There doesn't appear to be any weather stations nearby.... obviously a lot can change in two weeks anyway.

But, if it's clear we'll shuttle ourselves with the two trucks, probably on Friday.

I'll be arriving in town Thursday, any recommendations for a half day of riding? Somewhere with a couple loops, maybe nearer to town? I don't mind climbing.

Should have full days Saturday and Sunday as well.

Any specific recommendations are welcome. We like fast and flow. Jumps/drops/hucks are good, climbing good as I like to get in my calorie burn if possible. Rock crawling over huge features also good.

My buddy wanted to do Amasa area at some point, would that be an all day ride?

mtbr member
    Alright guys. T-14 days for me and my buddy. How is Burro pass looking? There doesn't appear to be any weather stations nearby.... obviously a lot can change in two weeks anyway.

But, if it's clear we'll shuttle ourselves with the two trucks, probably on Friday.

I'll be arriving in town Thursday, any recommendations for a half day of riding? Somewhere with a couple loops, maybe nearer to town? I don't mind climbing.

Should have full days Saturday and Sunday as well.

Any specific recommendations are welcome. We like fast and flow. Jumps/drops/hucks are good, climbing good as I like to get in my calorie burn if possible. Rock crawling over huge features also good.

My buddy wanted to do Amasa area at some point, would that be an all day ride?
    In my own experience Amasa Back is not an all-day ride, even pushing to the Pothole Rock area and back, 2 1/2-3 hrs maybe.
    For a longer ride, I ride a complete loop around Porcupine (through town, climbing through Sand Flats, accessing LPS from the water tank from the Sand Flats road) so with quite a bit of paved and dirt roads and a good amount of climbing, that takes me around 4 to 4 1/2 hrs.
    Last edited by eurochien; 1 Week Ago at 07:26 PM.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

Desert Seeker
    Posted 6 hours ago on the Poison Spider FB. Looks like they tried Burro and Hazard but no go: "Update from www.weshuttles.com
    Trail Updates: We were hoping to go back to Burro as the road and climb are clear but unfortunately there is just too much snow and mud on the trails from the top of the climb down. At this point Hazard Trail is also not an option, extremely muddy. Hopefully Burro and or Hazard will open up in 1 more week. They need more sun to dry out at this point.
    For now we are shuttling to the bottom of Koko so you can ride UPS down. It is not worth ruining your bike, trails and potentially getting hurt.
    Please stay off of Burro and Hazard if you are self-shuttling. A couple of riders can do enough damage for days worth of work for trail maintenance.
    We will keep you posted as we continue to monitor the trails for you.
    We love bikes, the people that ride them and also our trails!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567