Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the update!

I'll keep watching the forecast and check in again a few days before I leave.

I plan on bringing my rv trailer down (instead of pay for somewhere to stay) but I usually camp out by Sovereign/Klonzo or up cane creek road. How are the road conditions? I don't mind getting everything dirty but I don't want to do irreparable damage and jack up the roads or venture down there and find out access is closed.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything is fairly dried out at the moment.I rode my dirtbike in the upper Porcy area yesterday and there was very little mud. My best advice is to just size it up when you get here because we do have some wet/ snow conditions shaping up for the end of this week. The road out to Klonzo stays in pretty good condition year round as it is packed pretty good, except across the wash. I'm sure you will find something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How are things looking for this weekend? Forecast just appears to be cold, which I can deal with but are mag 7, navajo rocks and/or amasa still rideable?

mtbr member
    No first hand info, but based on pics from Guerilla Gravity over the last week, all that stuff looks good. Unfortunately the Poison Spider conditions page hasn't been updated in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE View Post
    How are things looking for this weekend? Forecast just appears to be cold, which I can deal with but are mag 7, navajo rocks and/or amasa still rideable?
    Yes

Revised 1-27-17: Navajo Rocks is rideable with patches of thin snow. Amassa back same. Upper Mag 7 and Horsethief trails have patchy snow to 8" deep depending on where you ride. Excellent crust and perfect for fatbike, not doable on regular MB
    Last edited by SAM313; 01-27-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Tigers love pepper...
    You guys get rain yesterday and last night as well? Thinking of heading over from Grand Junction tomorrow if you're drier than we are.

Desert Seeker
    Well, pretty dry so far - I rode Pipe Dream this morning and it was great. However, we are getting a few stray showers and hard to say if we will get significant amounts. Sounds like it is much drier than GJ though, so....

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Well, pretty dry so far - I rode Pipe Dream this morning and it was great. However, we are getting a few stray showers and hard to say if we will get significant amounts. Sounds like it is much drier than GJ though, so....
    Thanks. We ended up chickening out since it was still saying like 60% chance of rain. Wasn't keen on driving over and playing it safe with Slickrock for example (and then maybe riding in the rain on top of that).

Of course later I saw like 3 other guys I knew all went and said the dirt was great..... meanwhile I went for a road ride here. Sad.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Trail conditions for this weekend?

Heard there was snow over the weekend. Poison Spider's trail conditions website hasn't been updated since last week:
    Trail Conditions: Moab Utah MTB Trails Current Update

Pretty sure Amasa and Mag 7 trails will be ok, but curious about Porc.

Desert Seeker
    Porc is open but not LPS. THey were dropping at Lazy Man's entrance. It is warm so may change...

mtbr member
    Heading to Fruita tomorrow and then Moab on Saturday. What's the current update on Porcupine? How far up are you able to ride?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Heading to Fruita tomorrow and then Moab on Saturday. What's the current update on Porcupine? How far up are you able to ride?

Thanks!
    glesoine posted that info 39 minutes prior to your post.

mtbr member
    Uh... His post above says a week ago.

pedlr
    Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
    Subject: BLM Campgrounds Filling Early Every Day--Please Share with Staff & On Websites

Hi All:

FYI--Our campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.

Anything within 10 miles of Moab have been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.

Upper River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).

The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.

We are sending people to Windwhistle & Hatch as a last resort. Dispersed camping, following the restrictions and regulations, is also an option if they will be arriving before dark.

Visitors need to know that they should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. They could consider making a reservation at a private campground for their first night and searching for a site the following morning, IF they want to drive around. If they are arriving late afternoon or evening, reservations at private campgrounds are the way to go if they are planning to stay in the Moab area.

We think the days of driving to Moab and finding a site in our campgrounds after mid-day in the spring and fall may be dwindling fast.

In order to better serve visitors, we would deeply appreciate your help getting this information out, including your websites, since our website is still being built and not helpful at all.

Thanks so much for being such great partners!

Sharon

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
    Subject: BLM Campgrounds Filling Early Every Day--Please Share with Staff & On Websites

Hi All:

FYI--Our campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.

Anything within 10 miles of Moab have been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.

Upper River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).

The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.

We are sending people to Windwhistle & Hatch as a last resort. Dispersed camping, following the restrictions and regulations, is also an option if they will be arriving before dark.

Visitors need to know that they should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. They could consider making a reservation at a private campground for their first night and searching for a site the following morning, IF they want to drive around. If they are arriving late afternoon or evening, reservations at private campgrounds are the way to go if they are planning to stay in the Moab area.

We think the days of driving to Moab and finding a site in our campgrounds after mid-day in the spring and fall may be dwindling fast.

In order to better serve visitors, we would deeply appreciate your help getting this information out, including your websites, since our website is still being built and not helpful at all.

Thanks so much for being such great partners!

Sharon

Hard to believe it could get even more crowded. It is hard to imagine how it is all going to work ten years from now if visitation continues increasing at the rate it has for the past ten years.

Formerly of Kent
    Time to start planning and building some high country trails. Altitude and distance from town will keep traffic palatable..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Time to start planning and building some high country trails. Altitude and distance from town will keep traffic palatable..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    There already are great trails in the La Sals, but they are snowed in until May-June. They don't help the Spring crush.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. How many hotels can you build? And Moab already has a huge labor issue. They can't run businesses without people to work at them, but Moab is too expensive for the average worker now. The problem is solved in other tourist places by having workers commute from elsewhere, but that doesn't work in Moab. Building giant low rent apartment complexes seems to be the only solution, but that destroys the character of the town, although the actual town of Moab's character is pretty unspectacular outside of a four square block area around downtown. Moab also has infrastructure issues. Their sewer system is completely maxed out, to the point where the park service now has to haul the crap from the pit toilets hours away to dispose of it.

Eventually there will be a water issue, too. Moab gets its water from wells on the upper side of Spanish Valley and they won't last forever. In theory they could take water from the Colorado, but there are a lot of expensive issues with that.

"Loved to death" doesn't begin to describe the situation. At this point it is corpse abuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So, I was out in Moab over the weekend of 4/1. Holy Hell.

The traffic was insane, every hotel and campsite were full. Saturday morning, the Arches entrance road had spilled out onto the highway, and the traffic was backed up from the river all the way to City Market. Solid. I'm not kidding.

Every trailhead was mobbed. Every coffee shop and restaurant were mobbed. There were absolutely no parking spaces at City Market and the other grocery store, people were parking on the streets around them. You had to wait for a pump at the Maverick.

They are still building and building, there are at least three more hotels framed up already. I think someone there needs to get a handle on things, but being Utah, it is all a cash grab.

I can't imagine what Jeep Week will look like. This was as bad as any Jeep Week I saw up until I started avoiding Moab during Jeep Week.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^ Pretty much like that the weekend before (3/24-26) as well. It's a great place but I've come to avoid it (this last one was a family trip) except for balmy days in the dead of winter when I can dash down not have to get in line to wait in line.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Coming down arriving Monday. Plan was to camp out at Walmart in Price on Sunday Night to get a spot Monday morning. Are the spots a little further up the 128 a safe place to aim for? Can't see us getting in by 8am, and quite frankly not sure I want to camp where there are people driving through to get spots prior to 8am anyway. May revise and head up the 313. How much different is the weather up that way, looking like a cool down next week and I wouldn't enjoy if it gets much colder than about 65f during the day when we are hanging around camp.

mtbr member
    My buddy and I were planning on heading in June 9th, do you think we could reserve a campsite? Are there sites near a river or stream? Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    My buddy and I were planning on heading in June 9th, do you think we could reserve a campsite? Are there sites near a river or stream? Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?
    You can try to reserve at a commercial campground, but the BLM sites are first come, first serve. You can also reserve at Dead Horse Point State Park, which is 40 minutes from town.

There are National Forest campgrounds in the mountains that are 30-40 minutes from town that are next to Mill Creek, and the Warner Lake campground is next to the lake. Ken's Lake is much closer and is near, but not on, Ken's Lake. The BLM sites along the river go fast, but you can always try when you arrive.

Moab Campgrounds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?
    Yes, my Yeti SB5 has 127mm of rear travel with a 160 fork and it's just fine. The bike is not the limiting factor unless you decide to huck every drop on Rockstacker, or something equally ludicrous.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Members who have read this thread: 177