Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    just curious if anyone has any insight on how quickly kings bottom actually fills up? I usually camp in BLM land up by sovereign, but have always wanted to try kings area (since i enjoy amasa back so much)

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    just curious if anyone has any insight on how quickly kings bottom actually fills up? I usually camp in BLM land up by sovereign, but have always wanted to try kings area (since i enjoy amasa back so much)
    I've arrived there during peak season weekends and found vacant sites. I have seen it full from time to time, and my fall-back is the Potash road sites. Between the two I have never been let down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thursday night was a zoo, everything on Kane creek was full until the ledge loop B. We stayed there and Friday morning were able to catch someone leaving hunter canyon and got their site. We got lucky, however, everything in the cane creek, sand flats, and some other areas were full all weekend. We had a number of people try and set up tents on our site in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and there was also a group that arrived at 3 am and hiked up near the arch in hunter canyon to poach a site. They were really loud and didn't seem to mind the fact that they woke up the whole campground.

mtbr member
    Do any Moab bike shops have day or night storage for bicycles..for days where you might not be biking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im planning on going on a biking trip to moab some time in the next month and was wondering if anyone one could tell me if the upper part of the whole enchilada (the burro pass section) is ride-able yet. I've rode the porcupine rim sections and want to ride the whole thing this time, but don't want to be riding in a ton of mud. so if anyone knows i would appreciate the help. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This passed weekend it was only running below the hazard trail. Apparently burro pass had opened already but the most recent snowstorm closed it back down. My guess is it should be rideable shortly bc it's already in the upper 80s in town. You can call any of the shuttle companies and they will tell you how far up is rideable as well. Id also recommend riding early bc there isn't much shade on that or most of the other trails!

mtbr member
    We’re planning a west coast motorcycle/mountain bike trip and will be spending a day mountain biking in Moab. We’ll be driving a rented 25’ class C RV with an enclosed 6x12 trailer. I’m real nervous about finding places to parking it.

2 questions

1. Can anyone recommend a camp site near Moab suitable for our rig? Our wives will prefer serenity over keg-stands, so staying "a little down the road" is ok.

2. Haven’t decided on the trail yet, but do the major trail heads support parking an RV & trailer?

Thanks
    Bob

pedlr
    No problem parking a rig that size at any trailhead that I can think of off the top of my head. You'll be fine.
    Same with camping, you'll have no problem.

mtbr member
    thanks Moabman - look forward to riding in your neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Moab cyclery claims burro pass is closed for the season, does this mean off, off limits, or ride at your own risk? I know we probably can't get a commercial shuttle up there, but we'd like to ride it, even if there's an inch or two of snow on it. anyone been up there in the last week? should we just start at hazard county?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I rode it on Saturday. Geyser Pass road up near the top had some packed snow, and the steep switchbacks coming down Burro had some snow and mud. I would think as long as there hasn't been another storm, it would only be in better shape now.

This is at Geyser Pass on Saturday, hero dirt in the sun, snow in the shade:
    Moab Trip Planner-img_20141004_120836842small.jpg

pedlr
    coyote shuttle just told me she is running to hazard now, and will decide by tmorrow about the possibility of burro or not. worth a try.

mtbr member
    Great thread - coming to Moab with the some buddies for the first time 10/17 - 10/19. Plan is to do the Whole Enchlada on Saturday 10/18. Hope it is open all the way up to Burro pass! Anyone know the temps up there? Coming from Phoenix where we don't own jackets! haha Was thinking a light jacket and a back up rain jacket would do the job.

pedlr
    burro is 11200 ft. i think.

the weather station nearby at gold basin 10050 feet recorded 55 F high yesterday.

the station on geyser pass road which is at the same altitude as Werner Lake recorded 59 F.

Here's the link you can check for when you get here. Maybe somebody has a link for a station higher up.

MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE
    MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE

There's a handy 2 week summary tab on the left.

There can be a chill wind a blowin up on the pass that makes it seem colder

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You might need more than a light jacket up there, it can get pretty cold especially early morning. Being from PHX (so am I), it might feel even colder to you. And the weather can change in an instant.

The last two years I've had Moab trips in mid-Oct and never got dropped off higher than Koko. If there are no new storms in the next couple weeks, you might be ok but any precipitation in the area will likely fall as snow up top.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guy's, looking forward to the trip

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    How's the weather been up on Burro this week? I'm seriously considering a shotgun trip this weekend from Denver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like there is already snow in places. Anyone have first hand experience riding up there in December? Flying to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving - and was thinking of taking the next week off to head up and ride MOAB for the first time. Living back East - these opportunities are few a far between. Not sure I can handle another year looking at everyone's pictures - But if all the best trails are already snowed over I might think of another place in that area.

Paste eater
    December and January are the coldest. It CAN be warm but it can also be snow covered with zero riding. I would not bank on being able to ride and certainly would not extend a vacation.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guy's, we were able to do the whole enchilada from Burro Pass, such a awesome ride! We also did slick rock, it was a lot harder than expected, we rode from the hotel, so the street climb was a little brutal.

Awesome trails !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Whole Enchilada is primo right now! It was a bit chilly once you got out of the shuttle vans, i didn't bring a jacket or wind breaker and didn't regret it. Once i started peddling it felt great. I'm hoping to get back down there at least one more time before it's done for the season.

Moab Trip Planner-img_6887.jpg
    Moab Trip Planner-img_6884.jpg

SS in CO
    thoughts on riding over New Years? my wife and I are sans-kiddo for the week and we wanted to make it count. will be driving the Jeep out on Thursday and riding 1 day and Jeeping 1 day, then back home on Saturday.

how much snow is there right now?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

Desert Seeker
    Well, right now there is no snow at lower elevations but we had some precipitation recently and there is snow in the mountains. The desert riding will be great as long as we avoid cold/snow at the lower elevations. Precipitation on the 25th in the forecast right now but it is always spotty and hard to predict here.

pedlr

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hello everybody,
    What would be the best season for a trip to Moab ? Early april or late september ?
    I plan such a trip for 2015 (It will be my 50th anniversary birthday present !!! ...), and I'd like to stay 5 days riding.
    What would be the best trails for me (I'm looking for singletracks and about 3000ft maximum climb per day and maybe 30 miles) ?
    I live in France and I will bring my bike. I understand the best is to come from Salt Lake airport ?
    Do you have any hotels/restaurant adress in moab ?
    Thanks and Merry Christmas...

FRED

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by legued View Post
    Hello everybody,
    What would be the best season for a trip to Moab ? Early april or late september ?
    I plan such a trip for 2015 (It will be my 50th anniversary birthday present !!! ...), and I'd like to stay 5 days riding.
    What would be the best trails for me (I'm looking for singletracks and about 3000ft maximum climb per day and maybe 30 miles) ?
    I live in France and I will bring my bike. I understand the best is to come from Salt Lake airport ?
    Do you have any hotels/restaurant adress in moab ?

FRED
    If you want to get the Whole Enchilada in fall is the best time to go. Would target late September as there likely won't be any snow storms yet. Weather tends to be a bit better overall in the fall. At least less chance of wind and spring storms moving through.

For trails:
    Whole Enchilada
    Mag 7
    Amasa trail system
    Klondike trail system
    Bar M
    Slick Rock

This would keep you plenty busy for 5 days.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by legued View Post
    Hello everybody,
    What would be the best season for a trip to Moab ? Early april or late september ? Either is good, crowds are probably less in the fall
    What would be the best trails for me (I'm looking for singletracks and about 3000ft maximum climb per day and maybe 30 miles) ? Pretty most everything near to town falls into that catagory
    I live in France and I will bring my bike. I understand the best is to come from Salt Lake airport ? Denver works well also. You might also want to look into renting, it may be cheaper than hauling your bike from France. Moab tends to be rough on equipment, wreck someone's bike other than yours
    Do you have any hotels/restaurant adress in moab ? I would also look into renting a house, you can Google house rentals in moab as well as hotels, there are plenty of options

FRED
    See comments in the quoted text

-E

mtbr member
    Salut Fred,
    I'm French too, I live in Denver, Colorado. I go to Moab every year in mid- to late October and so far it's been great (I camp so weather affects my trip more than just the riding aspect). April is great too, but there's still snow on the higher elevations (towards the La Sal mountains), which means that the more alpine terrain will be unrideable (like the top portion of the Whole Enchilada). Driving from Denver takes about 6 hours, for 5hrs 45 mins on Interstate 70, then make a left at the gas station. I don't know how long it takes from SLC (probably less), but depending on your flight it might be easier to fly into Denver.
    In my experience, singletrack riding is not the best feature of Moab, obviously the slickrock is. Vertically speaking, there are no very long uphill rides but what the trails lack in sustained climbing they make up for in steepness and technical difficulty. In other words you'll be glad you don't have to climb the type of terrain Moab dishes for more than 20 minutes or so (generally speaking of course). A climb like the Moab Rim is crazy steep but doesn't last very long.
    As mentioned by EricD4, Moab is very hard on bikes (and bodies) - on my last trip I broke a pedal and a computer :-(. Renting would be a good option. Dual suspension is a must.

For hotels, book early, whichever month you decide to visit. I've seen the "No vacancy" sign on every hotel in town in October (peak season). There are lots of motels around town, I don't have any particular recommendations though (again, I camp...).

For food, Eddie Mc Stiff's is an institution. It's not particularly great food, but the atmosphere is fun. There's many restaurants in town, serving Mexican, burgers, pub food, etc. There's a cool espresso/ice cream shop on Main Street (Moab Coffee Roasters I think) that is great to treat yourself to before (coffee - beware though, the coffee is served "à l'américaine" in a big cup) or after (ice cream) a hard ride.
    À +

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you all.
    So, what would be the best season to ride The Whole Enchilada, without snow and with relatively cool temperatures ?

FRED

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    I don't know how long it takes from SLC (probably less), but depending on your flight it might be easier to fly into Denver.
    Drive time from SLC to Moab is about 3.5 hours.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Headed to Moab March 23-29th from Bend, Oregon. Woot!

I have been looking for a map to buy online - but would like to know what the locals are using or what map is best...

trails I have scoped so far are:

day 1. porcupine rim (4 hours), lunch and then slickrock (2 hours)
    day 2. Mag 7 (4 hours). lunch and then pipedream and maybe something else
    day 3. Hymasa up, captain ahab down (2+ hours), lunch then rockstacker, jacksons, pothole arch
    day 4. Sovereign and saltwash, lunch, deadmans ridge/ bar M
    day 5. Possible trip to fruita if needed.

I pulled most of this from MTBproject which i think is missing a LOT.

I am headed there with a buddy. We like technical terrain, rocks etc. I am guessing some of my schedule may be a little too much to tackle each day. Don't know! Need to get in great shape before we head over.

What am i missing?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    That looks like an awesome trip.

For the map, just go in to one of the local bike shops, and they sell a really nice plastic map with all of the trails on it. I bought my last one at Poison Spider, which I just lost, so I guess I'll be buying another one next time. I think they're $10 or so.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post

I have been looking for a map to buy online - but would like to know what the locals are using or what map is best...

day 3. Hymasa up, captain ahab down (2+ hours), lunch then rockstacker, jacksons, pothole arch

I am headed there with a buddy. We like technical terrain, rocks etc. I am guessing some of my schedule may be a little too much to tackle each day. Don't know! Need to get in great shape before we head over.

What am i missing?

Thanks!
    I would recommend Rider Mel's guide to Moab. You can get it locally in Moab and online. It is small enough to carry in a camelback during rides. Gives good intel on the riding in Moab. Be sure to get the latest version with I think is #4 or #5, there have been several new trails in the past couple of years that the older versions do not talk about.

-E

mtbr member
    Thanks dude. Book ordered, 5th addition.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks dude. Book ordered, 5th addition.
    Glad to help, enjoy your trip, try not to bleed too much!

-E

mtbr member
    Body armor on order

Thin Man on a Fat bike

Take these too....q

Rider Mel's book is good for rough trail navigating but I think he was smokin something when he drew his maps, not very detailed and that's kinda a necessity in the desert where landmarks are not always plentiful.
    I would suggest getting the national geographic Moab North/ South maps. You'll need both to cover the local riding area. They are not as current as Mel's latest edition but they have enough of the older trails that you should be able to find the new ones.

Have a hospital free trip 😊

mtbr member

What am i missing?

Thanks!
    Porc Rim and Slickrock on the same day you are a glutton for punishment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Rider Mel's book is good for rough trail navigating but I think he was smokin something when he drew his maps, not very detailed and that's kinda a necessity in the desert where landmarks are not always plentiful.
    I would suggest getting the national geographic Moab North/ South maps. You'll need both to cover the local riding area. They are not as current as Mel's latest edition but they have enough of the older trails that you should be able to find the new ones.

Have a hospital free trip 😊
    Thanks man. My friend who is coming with me just bought both those maps - so we should be pretty set i would hope. I will probably hit a local bike shop as well when i get there.

Is poison spider the best shop for giving advice and such?

We will also need a shuttle or 2 potentially,

thanks!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Any of the bike shops can give you good trail advice and the shuttle services will know the trail conditions. Poison Spider and Rim cyclery have their own shuttles and there are several private ones. Higher trails will still have snow in March but upper Porcupine will be open I'd guess. All trails are open now if you have a fat bike 😊
    I'm thinking your itinerary is a little optimistic , I'd start with the Hymasa/ Ahab route and get used to the terrain and altitude, you will notice a difference from Oregon, maybe Im wrong, I know Bend is considered high desert......

mtbr member
    Any of the bike shops can give you good trail advice and the shuttle services will know the trail conditions. Poison Spider and Rim cyclery have their own shuttles and there are several private ones. Higher trails will still have snow in March but upper Porcupine will be open I'd guess. All trails are open now if you have a fat bike 😊
    I'm thinking your itinerary is a little optimistic , I'd start with the Hymasa/ Ahab route and get used to the terrain and altitude, you will notice a difference from Oregon, maybe Im wrong, I know Bend is considered high desert......
    Thanks. Yeah i agree it's probably too optimistic. I think the key will be getting in really good shape before going over. Just want to make the most of each day. Might be better to spread it out little more and bad fruita. Is fruita even worth it?

Bend is at around 4k, so Moab should feel right at home. Dry, sandy, rocky, light air

mtbr member
    One of my riding buddies and I both have long weekends from Jan 30 - Feb 1, and are thinking about making the trip from the front range to Moab. I don't mind riding in the cold, but is there generally enough dry trail to make it worth the trip at this time of year?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    One of my riding buddies and I both have long weekends from Jan 30 - Feb 1, and are thinking about making the trip from the front range to Moab. I don't mind riding in the cold, but is there generally enough dry trail to make it worth the trip at this time of year?
    There's some snow on trails below 6000 feet that aren't getting sun during the day, above that there's a good bit of snow at the moment, below that the trails are generally dry. They will either be dry or snowy, our rainy season ended in August.
    So, in simple answer, there are tons of trails to ride and the only thing to deal with is the colder temps, that you say you don't mind.......so start planning your trip

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    is porcupine rim is out of the question right now due to snow?

Thin Man on a Fat bike

What snow?

I haven't been around to that side of the mountain, there was about 6" of snow at the base of Geyser Rd. about three weeks ago but it's been sunny and warm since . From town it looks like most everything below the loop road is clear so I think riding from Kokopelli down is clear or at least rideable .

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I haven't been around to that side of the mountain, there was about 6" of snow at the base of Geyser Rd. about three weeks ago but it's been sunny and warm since . From town it looks like most everything below the loop road is clear so I think riding from Kokopelli down is clear or at least rideable .
    fantastic news - thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If porcupine rim is rideable what shuttle company has the best odds of running this early in the year? Looking to be in town this weekend 2-7/2-8

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    it heavily rained this past weekend. I didn't ride it, so I don't know what porc will look like this coming weekend, but it all looked nasty after the rain so we stayed on slickrock. Also saw it looked like most (if not all) shuttle companies closed their shuttle service for the winter. I gave up looking for a shuttle due to the rain though, so there may be one out there. Moab Cyclery and Poison Spider was a no-go...

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by S Dub View Post
    If porcupine rim is rideable what shuttle company has the best odds of running this early in the year? Looking to be in town this weekend 2-7/2-8

Thanks!
    I saw the Poison Spider shuttle and Rim out and about in December, but......a lot of businesses take extended vacations or cut back services this time of year. Try calling Chili Pepper bikes (435-259-4688) they are open and I think they use third party shuttle services so they might have an idea whose running.

Tigers love pepper...
    March 24th we were kicking around doing Koko/UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. I think I've got that right.... (starting at La Sal Loop Road)

I know anything can happen, even though it's been a dry year. But is it generally dry that high in late March?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Heading to Moab the weekend of March 21-22nd. We plan on tent camping so primitive is fine. How hard will it be to find an open site at blm campgrounds will it be if we show up Friday afternoon? Also any campground recommendations? No showers, etc are fine. Thanks!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    March 24th we were kicking around doing Koko/UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. I think I've got that right.... (starting at La Sal Loop Road)

I know anything can happen, even though it's been a dry year. But is it generally dry that high in late March?
    Not generally no.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross View Post
    Heading to Moab the weekend of March 21-22nd. We plan on tent camping so primitive is fine. How hard will it be to find an open site at blm campgrounds will it be if we show up Friday afternoon? Also any campground recommendations? No showers, etc are fine. Thanks!
    Sort of the start of the season do depends on weather really. You'll find something - just depends on how far out you'll need to go. Kane Creek, potash and 128 for BLM camping. You'll find spots that range from 10 min to an hour from town.

Another option is out Dalton Wells. Plenty of dispersed camping and you'll be close to the Klonzo Network of trails if that's your bag.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Not generally no.
    Thanks Justin. If you had to guess, what's the highest that's generally possible in late March?

Paste eater
    Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.
    Thanks, guess we'll look at other options.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything below the loop road is dry already except for patches of snow in shaded areas. Unless we get some significant snowfall, which is possible this weekend apparently, I would guess March would be dry. I think you're safe planning for Koko down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross View Post
    Someone from Moab might know more but Park Creek campground is the one I booked for March. Free showers and only $20 a night. Also if anyone in your group is military you can get the first 3 days free. So for my 4 nights it cost me 23$ total.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, I was considering a mtb trip to Moab next weekend (Feb 27-Mar 1), but it looks like there's been some snow recently, and snow/rain is in the forecast for Feb 28. How are the trails looking? Is there a website/forum where people post current trail conditions for Moab?

I don't mind riding in the wet/snowy/cold, but if there's enough snow accumulation that things are getting unrideable, I'd probably reschedule. I'm hoping to ride Capt Ahab and similar stuff, but plan to adapt based on conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I was just there yesterday and today, and trails were dry. We didn't do any of the higher elevation rides, but Amasa Back and Poison Spider were in perfect shape. We left as the storm was rolling in, but if the accumulation was low, the trails should still be good.

mtbr member
    How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

Thanks for any assistance!

Perpetual n00b

Moab Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

http://www.alltravelcams.com/moab_ut...in_the_sky.php
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post

Most of the snow is melted off already, still residual above say 6000 feet but we are supposed to get several more systems over the next week. I think you will be fine planning for any ride below the loop road, may still have snow in the shadows but nothing unrideable.

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any trail condition updates durning this weekend would be great. Slick rock ? Amasa ? Lps?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99 View Post
    Any trail condition updates durning this weekend would be great. Slick rock ? Amasa ? Lps?
    They were all clear today. UPS has snow but is rideable, that being said, we have snow forecast for the morning

mtbr member
    How the Thaw as events go? Gonna be out there next weekend and realized that was going on.

Desert Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    How the Thaw as events go? Gonna be out there next weekend and realized that was going on.
    Its a good time. Check it out if you can. The schedule of events is here: Event Schedule For The Moab Thaw Bike Event In Moab, UT

Resident Gear Head
    I'll be in Moab the 20th-22nd. My research shows that the whole enchilada will probably not be doable in its entirety. Sounds like shuttles will probably only drop off at UPS? Sound accurate?
    Any advice on a fun and fairly short trail to ride on our last day of the trip before the drive home?
    Last edited by provin1327; 03-03-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Tigers love pepper...
    Didn't see a trail conditions sticky........ Coming over this weekend from GJ. Wanted to hit Navajo and maybe Klondike Saturday, then Hymasa/Ahab Sunday am. Any concerns with any of those trail conditions?

Desert Seeker
    Should be a great weekend and excellent conditions (was just on Ahab yesterday). Poison Spider Spring Thaw event Saturday/Sunday at the Brands trails. There is also a running/biking race event at N Klondike on Saturday.

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm assuming even if the event is at North Klondkie it may be best to stay away from the regular Klondike stuff as well?

Desert Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I'm assuming even if the event is at North Klondkie it may be best to stay away from the regular Klondike stuff as well?
    I'm not entirely clear on the route. Here is an article: Racers to converge on duathlon, trail run - Moab Sun News: Get Out & Go
    I would think that the regular jeep route and hike out to the Bluffs would be fine, but I'm not sure what single-track routes will be affected.

Tigers love pepper...
    Found the route:
    Moab Trip Planner-duathlon-spring-run-course-map-2015.jpg

Tigers love pepper...
    Well, due to an RV fire closing 191 Saturday AM just past Klondike North, we ended up heading there despite the race going on. We parked in the far North lot and went up Homer/Alaska, and then went over and headed down Baby Steps North. We must have been late enough in the AM for most of the race to be done, because we didn't pass a single racer.

Checked out Rocky Tops and Ramblin' at Navajo in the afternoon and even did a quick lap on LazyEZ in the evening after the Thaw event closed down. Then had Hymasa/Ahab all to ourselves Sunday AM.

Look forward to checking out Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island at Navajo. Pretty fun stuff. Not to mention need to ride the rest of Klondike and Klonzo.... Thanks for sharing, you guys are getting a ton of trails built!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Navajo Rocks is flowing

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YOGhMxZjOd...0/PA220007.JPG

Glad you covered so much terrain!
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Coming out to Moab May 22d for a few days. I don't know a thing about the trails. Could someone just give me a list of good intermediate trails I could ride, preferrably close to town. I can look them up if I have a list. Not too keen on anything with a LOT of exposure, you know, I'm old. Thanks.

Desert Seeker
    Close to town you have the Slickrock Trail and the Amasa Back area. Trails at Amasa Back are pretty advanced with the exception of the Hymasa singletrack. Pipe Dream is close and is probably considered tough, intermediate. Probably worth your while to head up to North Klondike which has a large network of singletrack trails or the newish Navajo Rocks trails. The Moab Brands trails should be thrown in there as well. Here is a link for detailed descriptions: Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the information.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone know how high the commercial companies are shuttling TWE? Coming to Moab April 5th and want to start forming our itinerary. TIA

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Google Chile Pepper bikes, Poison Spider bikes and Coyote Shuttle, those are the three main shuttles so that should give you an idea. I'm guessing they are going to the top of UPS/ Kokopelli at the loop Rd.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    shuttles are presently going to bottom of koko (ups down). koko down might be happening by the 5th, it's been pretty warm and things are drying out quick up high. hazard is still covered in snow.

Desert Seeker
    As of yesterday (3/29), shuttles were going up to Kokopelli.

Warrior of Weekends
    Hey all, not sure if this is the right thread but I will be riding solo in Moab 4/17 & 4/18 (and maybe 4/19) and am looking for someone to ride with.

I've never been, but was considering the typical must-do's, probably Slickrock on 4/17 and Porcupine Rim 4/18.

I will be doing some OR (White Rim trail) with a buddy in the days prior, and he is going to shuttle me to Porcupine on 4/18 if anyone wants a ride.

Open to other trails as well (Amasa Back, Bartlett Wash, Ahab, etc)

I'll be coming from the Front Range. PM me if you want to ride!
    2015 Yeti SB5c

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi folks, I'm wondering if the new Jimmy Keen section is open now (between Hazard County and UPS, as an alternate to the Kokopelli section) ?

pedlr
    yep, open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    Does anyone know how high the commercial companies are shuttling TWE? Coming to Moab April 5th and want to start forming our itinerary. TIA
    I'm pretty sure that the shuttle companies start TWE on June 1. But, if you call, you can confirm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a reservation set for April 2nd. You will want to give Bryan with Porcupine Shuttle a call. He can be reached at 435-260-0896 and will set up the reservation time.
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Heading to Grand Jct at the end of next week where my 13 YO son just bought a bike and then on to Moab for the week with him and my wife. From the sounds of it the winter has been pretty dry so everything we are looking for should be open. Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    Hi folks, I'm wondering if the new Jimmy Keen section is open now (between Hazard County and UPS, as an alternate to the Kokopelli section) ?
    It's open, but signage and trailwork is not quite complete.
    It's easy to miss the bottom section of singletrack and turn right on 2 track to connect with Koko just above UPS instead of connecting with the final section of Jimmy Keen.

Jimmy Keen is XC pedally with a fair amount of very easy/casual uphill. It takes you to some great vistas. It is not in the same spirit/speed as Hazard and Koko.

I'll be skipping Jimmy Keen as part of Burro/Hazard/TWE. Why kill all the speed of Hazard and Koko?

Koko is way faster and I think far more fun with opportunity for lots of cheap air.

However, Jimmy Keen makes for a good loop when just combined with Hazard or UPS. Use Koko and Sand flats as the connector if you want to pedal a loop when temps down below are too hot.

mtbr member
    planning a visit may 22nd and 23rd if any other rides going down. My wife knows my tendencies and "suggested" I better not be out flying reckless through the desert alone.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi ctchopper!

I'm coming to Moab on May 10 for a few days.
    I Booked at Rim tours for Porcupine, but up untill now it seems that I'm the only rider for that ride.

Can I book Brians Porcupine Shuttle and ride this trail along with other riders?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any word on how the conditions in Moab have fared over the past couple of days? We are in Fruita today and were planning to hang here for a couple of days before heading to Moab but might mixup our plans if the riding is better in UT over the next couple of days.

Desert Seeker
    Moab received a soaking rain yesterday. It is misty and cloudy this morning. Supposed to clear up later and Sunday looks sunny. Best riding areas right now would be Slickrock, Pipe Dream, the Amasa Back area and I guess Mag 7. There will be standing water and wet sand of course. Definitely avoid the Klondike area with its clay. Some of the Brands Trails are subject to rutting. The new Navajo Rocks would probably be good. Porc double track would be good but I'd give the singletrack a day to dry out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hello. I'm going to participate in the Moab Enduro Cup at Klondike Bluffs on 9 May. Any guidance on the best place to camp nearby? Ive looked at the map and it looks like the Devils Backbone campsite would be quite a ways from the event from a driving perspective. Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be in Moab next week for 3 1/2 days and wanted to see what you guys think of this for a ride plan.

Day 1: HyMasa/Capt Ahab
    Day 2: Whole Enchilada (not sure how high up we will be able to start this time of year)
    Day 3: Mag 7 to Portal
    Day 4: ?? We will only have the first half of the day to ride, any ideas? Did slick rock last year, and Klondike, both great rides but looking for something new.

Desert Seeker
    If you are winding down, Navajo Rocks is a good area. Basically, two loops to choose from - do one or both. If you are feeling like something more aggressive, you could do Hymasa/Jeep Road to Roackstacker/Jacksons or skip Jacksons and do Ahab again. A third option would be to go out to Bartlett Wash and play around on the slickrock.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't aware of Navajo Rocks. Bartlett Wash looks like a nice way to end the trip as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    See the maps for Moab's trails on Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.. You will find Navajo Rocks there and the most up to date for the Klondikes and KLONZO. print and bring along or buy each network of trails from a moab bike shop for $2-$3. That money goes to the Moab Trail Mix, the group building our trails. New trails in Gemini too, but discovermoab doesn't have those up yet, waiting for the Trail Mix to provide trail descriptions for Wildcat, Mustang and Hildago. in Dead Horse Point another loop of trail opened November 2014 too.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 182