Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horup
    I'm going to Moab around the 20th-21th of april. I'll probably arrive in the afternoon and then have one or two full days before we have to move on.
    I think that I'll go with a guide on 2 day tours (it's always more fun to ride with someone, than riding alone + i wanna ride the best trails).

My questions are:
    - should I reserve a bike and make and appointment in advance?
    - should I reserve hotel/motel in advance?
    - Is it possible to rent helmet, shoes etc?

Ps: I'm from Denmark and have been dreaming of this since I started mountainbiking many years ago, and now I have the chance! Can't wait to go
    I would strongly recommend reserving a bike and motel. I'm not sure about renting helmets, shoes etc. I've only been to Moab once for a week and it was as good if not better than everyone raves about. Hope you have a great time.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by Horup
    I'm going to Moab around the 20th-21th of april. I'll probably arrive in the afternoon and then have one or two full days before we have to move on.
    I think that I'll go with a guide on 2 day tours (it's always more fun to ride with someone, than riding alone + i wanna ride the best trails).

My questions are:
    - should I reserve a bike and make and appointment in advance?
    - should I reserve hotel/motel in advance?
    - Is it possible to rent helmet, shoes etc?

Ps: I'm from Denmark and have been dreaming of this since I started mountainbiking many years ago, and now I have the chance! Can't wait to go
    If you are planning to do day tours, you don't need to worry about reserving a bike. You should be able to rent a bike from the company offering the tour. I would start checking into the tours now though.

You should DEFINITELY reserve your room in advance. Luckily you're planning on weekdays. It will still be busy though. Reserve ASAP.

A helmet will be included with any bike you rent. I don't believe anyone in Moab rents cycling shoes.

Have fun,

FW

Canuck on this Rock
    Sorry in advanced if this has been covered, I checked through the postings...is there a bike friendly motel that allows the bikes inside the room? I have glanced at the motels and notice that they have secured bike storage, but don't mention if you can put them in the room. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Silver Sage Inn. Dude that runs the place is really cool!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

rustic inn

We stayed at the Rustic Inn based in the center of town. Really nice place, relatively cheap and they allow bikes in the room. They even had a sheet for my bike in the room
    It was pretty difficult to find a place to stay, so I'd recommend booking in advance - luckily we came just between the easter jeep weekend and some kind of car show, so we were able to get a place to stay after trying 3-4 different inns...

Dirtmistress
    How sad about the spring being shut down! Is it still closed? Permanently?
    I used to fill up there in the early 90's!
    Bummer.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Read the thread. Got my Lat 40 map. Been doing a lot of research...BUT

Please name specific trails that are good for the HOT weather? I will be there this coming week and Utah's first warm front is hitting : ( SO, I've got a few days of 90 deg temps before it cools back down into the 80's.

I need two days worth of riding in the 90's.

Your help is greatly appreciated. thx. BQ
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Great thread and info, thanks!

I was looking to camp at Big Bend (tent) this weekend, or am I kidding myself? Will all the camping right around Moab be filled up?

Also, any problems with snakes / scopions at campgrounds, generally?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    To answer my own question and help others, when it's hot in Moab you can find free camping up in the National Forest and because of the higher altitude it's much cooler, about 15deg. It's a long drive up, but I think it's well worth it. It was 97deg in Moab and at our campsite it was 79deg! From there you can hit the LPS/UPS, Kokepelli, Hazard trails which are all fun in their own ways.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn
    To answer my own question and help others, when it's hot in Moab you can find free camping up in the National Forest and because of the higher altitude it's much cooler, about 15deg. It's a long drive up, but I think it's well worth it. It was 97deg in Moab and at our campsite it was 79deg! From there you can hit the LPS/UPS, Kokepelli, Hazard trails which are all fun in their own ways.
    Where exactly are you talking about camping in the national forest? Warner lake? I am headed out on June 16th for a week and we are looking for a cooler camp spot.
    Thanks

pedlr
    Apr 2006

camping moab

Warner Lake, sure, or Oowah lake. take some mosquito repellant, it's that time of year. Great camping high on sand flats road, in the vicinity of where ups and lps meet...
    Nights may not be that hot in June, and it's dry heat, the desert evening in June is the best!
    If you're gonna be in the camp during the day, take your own shade in some form or another, that will help.

mtbr member
    May 2009

July visit

I'm driving down to Arizona from Seattle to mountain bike in Flagstaff and visit friends in Sedona & Phoenix, 6/27 - 7/5. I thought I would stop in Moab for 2 days and ride around. It seems I will have to ride between dawn (6am) and be off the trail before 9 or 10am. I have a 3L camelbak and two 20oz water bottles.

Looking for good rides to do in this timeframe. I'm from the Northwest, my favorite types of rides are 1) ride up big mountain, singletrack down and 2) rolling hills. Would be open to a guided ride if it wasn't incredibly expensive. I'm comfortable with technical trails and I'm in good shape.
    Really, though, I'll be happy with anything that gives me a good workout and lets me see a little of the amazing scenery.

Currently reading Lee Bridger's "Mountain Biking Moab," 2/5 sections so far. I've flagged his Klondike Bluffs and Arches Loop. Any insight on those? I'll come back and post some more here once I've flagged some more.

Tent camping for 2 nights, I heard the nights are awesome out there in the summer. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Manuelw Im in sort of the same boat. Im going to passing right by moab this month on my way out to LA then coming right back by it on my way back in September. You riding by yourself? Im leaning more towards september as hopefully it wont be quite so hott.

This next bits more for any one to answer

I had the thought to do slick rock by myself, Im a fairly strong rider but am hesitant to go it alone. Never ridden the trail or been to moab. I assumed it being sucha famous trail that it wouldnt be much of a problem to just fall in with another group of riders.

On that note any one know of any local groups or bike shops I could contact to see if any one wants to go for a ride?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Update - road trip canceled. I just found out my Subaru's head gasket is leaking pretty badly, so no 3,000 mile road trips into the desert for me. Maybe in the fall or next spring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't know of any groups. I would just go to the trailhead at 8 a.m. In september dozens of people will be riding the trail on any given morning, there should be someone to hook up with.
    The later in the year and the earlier in the morning you ride, the better, due to heat.
    Close to the time you're coming to moab, drop me a PM, and if I'm not working that day maybe we can ride it together.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If anyone is paying attention to this thread ...

I am planning to head out to Moab from Summit County, CO either this weekend or early/mid next week. I am definitely going to camp, because I love it and it's easier on the wallet. Now, it's currently 3:39am, and I have been reading, researching and looking over oodles of websites. My eyes are beginning to blur, and I think I still have some questions.

Camping means no shower facilities. Yet, I may like to rinse off, if I am going to sit down at the brewery to sample and grub. I saw someone mentioned that the Poison Spider bike shop had showers that you could pay to use. Is that still the case? Also, do they have a hose that riders can use to wash bikes? If not there, is there a place where you can hose down a bike?

I have read how there isn't any free dispersed camping within 10miles of town any longer. Someone mentioned free camping in the NF land. What road takes me to the NF land, and how far away from town is it?

If I stay in a BLM campground with a site along the river, is jumping in the river for a rinse/cooldown a big no-no?

I'm forgetting something that I want to ask, but I need to sleep.

EDIT: Now I remeber -- I think -- or maybe they're just new questions ... anyway, aside from the brewery, where else is a good place to get a pint? And, is the pizza at Zax's good?

Also, if anyone sees a red VW GTI MKIII with roof rack, silver Santa Cruz Blur XC, or an orange and yellow Marmot tent ... feel free to show me how to ride or grab a beer from my cooler.
    Last edited by AdrenalineFix; 10-15-2009 at 03:03 AM.

pedlr
    Apr 2006

showers

Last time I checked, Poison Spyder had showers and a hose to wash off a bike.
    Rim Cyclery has a hose too.
    Showers are easy to buy in Moab. Most of the RV campgrounds rent them, as well as Up The Creek Campground on 300 south street just east of Main st.
    Zaks pizza is fine, the all you can eat price is has gone up over the years but is still agood deal for those of us who can wolf down 4 or 5 slices or more.
    There is a new, locally owned gourmetish type pizza rest. in town for the healthy minded.
    It's called paradox pizza, just next to moab brewery, which also serves alround good brewery food.

I wouldnt recommend jumping in the river. We've lost two visitors this year already to drowning. Besides even in Moab October isnt exactly the right temp for it.
    The 4 wheel drive roads that access sovereign trail, behind the rocks and
    klondike bluffs all have campsites on blm land. If they are all swamped, people park in the parking lot of the dalton wells trailhead all the time.

mtbr member

Just back from the 24 Hours of Moab

The crew from FlashBak Lighting Systems went out to Moab for the 24 hour race this year(2009)! The track was difficult, but fair. Weather was perfect!(daytime=70's, nighttime=50's) They had some rain the week before the race, so dust was kept to a minimum. When we had a break in the action, we snuck out to ride a few trails. We selected The Baby Steps Loop to the Klondike Bluffs trail. WOW! What a ride. We hit rolling slick rock, winding single-track, killer downhill bombs, and along the way, we found the dinosaur tracks that we were told to look for. That was very cool. They look like really big lizard tracks in mud.....but its rock! Dinosaur tracks along a ride.....that was a first for me.
    After the ride, we returned to the race. We wondered the entire event talking to vendors, racers, and spectators. We handed out several FlashBaks to people who we thought might enjoy our product, or who are in a position to help us promote our lights(usually by performing a product review or writing a story).
    Anyway. The road trip was fun, the riding was awesome, and what a group of fun people! We will definitely be going back next year. My hats off to Granny Gear Productions, they really know how to set up a cool race!
    If you get the chance to go to Moab....GO! If you have the chance to go to The 24 Hours of Moab........GO FOR SURE!!!!

Thanks,
    Brad
    www.flashbakonline.com

mtbr member

New question here. Weather after X-Mas

Hey Moab locals, what are the chances of there being some good riding right after Christmas? Last I heard you all are under 6 inches of snow. Thanks!
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    Hey Moab locals, what are the chances of there being some good riding right after Christmas? Last I heard you all are under 6 inches of snow. Thanks!
    This is a good place note what the weather conditions have been in Moab over the past 10 days. People are always wondering what the weather is like around Christmas.

8 inches of snow fell in town on December 8th, with a foot in Spanish Valley, and 18 inches at Porcupine Rim. Schools were closed for the first time in 25 years. Immediately after that, there were three nights of -10F at the airport (yes MINUS 10 degrees), followed by an extended run of cold weather that continues up to today, 12/17. It has not been above freezing during that time.

The forecast is for highs in the mid-30s and lows in the mid teens for the foreseeable future. Fruita and GJ are also cold and snowed in.

It is a good time to be boarding or skiing.

mtbr member
    Wow, thats crazy....I hear that people are wearing shorts in Denver right now???

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    This is a good place note what the weather conditions have been in Moab over the past 10 days. People are always wondering what the weather is like around Christmas.

8 inches of snow fell in town on December 8th, with a foot in Spanish Valley, and 18 inches at Porcupine Rim. Schools were closed for the first time in 25 years. Immediately after that, there were three nights of -10F at the airport (yes MINUS 10 degrees), followed by an extended run of cold weather that continues up to today, 12/17. It has not been above freezing during that time.

The forecast is for highs in the mid-30s and lows in the mid teens for the foreseeable future. Fruita and GJ are also cold and snowed in.

It is a good time to be boarding or skiing.
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member

moab river running

will be in moab the last week in april, will the river running outfits be open? and if so then whats a good one for a day trip?

Proud lame eBiker
    So what's the hot mountain biker hotel to crash at for a few nights? Silver Stage Inn still a good bet?

Zaks pizza still the place to get our grub on?
    And what's the name of the breakfast cafe place again?

Coming April 16-19th. 7 weeks away...can't wait!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

MOAB Mtb with Solfun

Hi,
    I am planning a 4 day mtb trip in Moab starting 4/28.
    Our current plan is to do 3 days at Moab - slick rock, porcupine rim and Sovereign , plus one day at Fruita.
    First, I would appreciate any comments on this plan - are we missing any great trains in the area ?
    Second - I understand there are many trails in Fruita - any specific recommendation ?

Last but not least - we are planning to ride with Solfun - Does anyone have any experience with them and can share the goods and the bads

Thanks, Dror

mtbr member
    How long do you have to wait after a rain storm to ride? We are going in May, and I hear that it may rain on us. Do the rocks dry off pretty quick, or are there some trails that are ridable wet?
    Thanks!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast