Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab Trip Planner

255K views 1K replies 292 participants last post by  MSU Alum 
#1 ·
This thread is designed to assist the uninitiated in planning a trip to the mecca that is Moab, as well as provide the experienced with a variety of new and different views on old favorites. There is a similar thread over on the Arizona forum that has proven very useful.

Some ground "rules":

-Keep it productive and on-topic. Respectful disagreement only, please.

-Try to word your description for someone who has never been, ever. This is not as easy as it would seem.

-Strive for brevity.

-Beta on trails, link-ups, bike shops, restaurants, camping, etc. Title posts appropriately.

-Demonstrative pictures welcome.

#77 ·
Updated restaurant list

As of 5/19/08, a few things have changed (both ways) on the food and drink scene in Moab:

Shingha Thai
Just west of Center and Main. Darn good food, reasonable prices, nice desserts, lots of veggie options. Perfect addition to town.

The Love Muffin
Yet another bakery. Good baked goods, nice place, well lit. It's about ~50 yards north of Jailhouse.

Mondo's goes downhill
The service has become consistently crappy, and coffee average, and the food too expensive. See the above, or go across the street to the Red Rock Bakery. Arches Book Co. has good coffee, too.

#78 ·
Restaurants

ionsmuse said:
As of 5/19/08, a few things have changed (both ways) on the food and drink scene in Moab:

Shingha Thai
Just west of Center and Main. Darn good food, reasonable prices, nice desserts, lots of veggie options. Perfect addition to town.

The Love Muffin
Yet another bakery. Good baked goods, nice place, well lit. It's about ~50 yards north of Jailhouse.

Mondo's goes downhill
The service has become consistently crappy, and coffee average, and the food too expensive. See the above, or go across the street to the Red Rock Bakery. Arches Book Co. has good coffee, too.
The Thai place is good, but $12-15 entrees are a little steep to me. $60 for a family a four kind of hurts.

I don't like muffins, so I haven't hit the muffin place yet.

I would say both Mondo's and the bookstore have gone downhill. Mondo's is a good study in how someone can take over a place and ruin it in a very short period of time. Pretty amazing. Over at the bookstore, the resident coffee roaster has moved on, and the coffee has taken a dive. Another good study, this one in the art of coffee roasting. It now tastes generally burnt.

I second the Red Rock recommendation, if you can squeeze in there between crowds.

A secret: Dave's Corner Market sells bagels from the Red Rock Bakery, and has killer coffee for 79 cents. The best convenience store coffee you'll get anywhere, and they have an espresso setup too, if you need that.

Other changes: Poplar Place is now an Italian restaurant.

Wicked Brew (drive up shack next to the old Poplar Place) is great. In fact the other drive-up coffee shack on the south end is good, too.

The Moab Diner is looking a lot better, but since it is closed on Sundays, you can't eat there every day. I think a simple fast burrito cart would do great business in Moab, just like Mondo's did when it was a kiosk in front of City Market.

I know it is a chain, but Chipotle would make a killing in Moab, and I would welcome it. After a long ride, you just want to be filled up, and that place does it for me. There is one in Grand Junction now, so maybe they'll land in Moab someday.

#79 ·
Motels and mountainbikes

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did try looking!:D

I will be going to Moab with my 2 sons (11 and 14) who are not beginner mountain bikers. My question is mainly on motels in Moab. Is there a Motel that allows bikes in the room?

I looked up hotels on the web, but without calling each one I was hoping someone would know. Thanks in advance!

#82 ·
A slightly different question which I haven't seen addressed on this thread: Is there anything in Moab that won't kill my cyclocross bike?

I'll be passing through the area early in the fall, but won't have a true MTB with me. My bike fits 700x45s, and I've successfully ridden mild singletrack and jeep road with it before. The main limitation is where there are lots of ledges or baby heads.

If there isn't much to ride, no worries. I'll slap the road tires on and ride through Arches or something.

#83 ·
Moab trip ? (yes I have read the stream)

We are experienced X-country riders from back east (Cape Cod). We are planning on riding the slickrock trail and one other trail on day 2 (July 4+5, 2008).

What trail would you recommend for day 2? What order should we ride? Slickrock on day one and your trail choice on day 2 or the other way around.......

We are renting Yetti 575's from Poison Spider in Moab.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
Adam & JP

#85 · (Edited)
We are experienced X-country riders from back east (Cape Cod). We are planning on riding the slickrock trail and one other trail on day 2 (July 4+5, 2008).

What trail would you recommend for day 2? What order should we ride? Slickrock on day one and your trail choice on day 2 or the other way around.......

We are renting Yetti 575's from Poison Spider in Moab.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
Adam & JP
Porcupine Rim or White Rim are my suggestions. I think riding Slickrock Day 1 is a fine idea depending on your stamina. Check in with the local shops when you get to town and remember your sunscreen!

#86 ·
so i am going out to moab at the end september and looking to rent a bike for the trails out there. my hardtail wont be able to keep up.

where do i call or is there anywhere to call??

thanks
-gimpy

#90 ·
Moab November 2008

Yes, yes, yes... I've read about the weather...

A group of us are heading out there the weekend of the 14th...

Are there still a fair amount of restaurants, camp grounds, etc open that time of year?

Going rigid, 29er, SS.... any thoughts???

Is there a Golf course in town? How is it? I know, its the mtn bike mecca, but some of the peeps i'm rolling with, wanna play.

G
#91 ·
ropholof said:
Yes, yes, yes... I've read about the weather...

A group of us are heading out there the weekend of the 14th...

Are there still a fair amount of restaurants, camp grounds, etc open that time of year?
Yes. Most everything will be open then. If you're planning to camp in a tent, bring warm clothes and bags, and good lanterns.

ropholof said:
Going rigid, 29er, SS.... any thoughts???
If you're used to riding 29er SS on rough, steep trails then you shouldn't even have to ask. If not....

ropholof said:
Is there a Golf course in town? How is it? I know, its the mtn bike mecca, but some of the peeps i'm rolling with, wanna play.
There is a golf course and apparently it's pretty good. Googling Moab golf course would probably find more info.

It can be a very nice time to ride in Moab. Have fun.

FW

#94 ·
The Whole Enchilada

Aka Burro and Hazard. To try to stem the tide of when to go and why.

This is a kicka$$ ride. 30+ miles of descending, four distinct zones. Full points for not shuttling.

-Burro is alpine singletrack in a north facing ravine/canyon, starting at 11,600'. Tight switchbacks, skinny track, root gardens, Aspens. Big fun.

-Hazard is twisty through the scrub oak with lots of optional jumps and stunts. High speeds, great views, big fun.

-Porcupine singletracks. Technical rock and juniper singletrack, in "Upper Body Bag" the technical crux (and dumbest name) of the whole ride. Most walk, for good reason. Check the legal status of the trails, and don't be a snoid if you get caught breaking the law! It's yo own fault, willis!

-Porc proper. The classic, without the less than classic climb. Big fun.

Access depends on snowfall and meltoff, and can vary widely. As noted above, the whole deal generally faces north and is thus late in melting off. For real.

A safe bet for Hazard is late May. It could be rideable a month earlier, or a month later. Call a local bike shop or shuttle service and make them earn their pay by annoying the crap out of them. A safe bet for Burro is August.

Thus, the best time to plan to do this ride is late August or early September. It's an alpine ride, and could snow any day of the year.

Have fun, and bring lots of supplies. When you get sick of descending and nothing but, savor the novelty of such a feeling.

#95 ·
The spring at 191 and 128 is CLOSED

Matrimony Spring, the awesome spring near the corner of Highway 128 and 191, is closed.

Apparently some government reg about miniscule contamination kicked in. The water is no longer accessible.

This sucks. I've filled up hundreds of times there.

There is city water available at Lion's Park, right across the road by the new pedestrian bridge across the river.

#97 ·
Moab Cell Coverage

What is the cell phone coverage like in Moab? was thinking of bringing some motorolla walky talkies to keep connected with a big group, but if we can do it via cell that is even easier.
we will probably be camping at the Bartlett Wash campground, riding a variety of trails, and having some people in the group climbing at wall street, ice cream, and big bend.

#98 ·
bigfoot_mt said:
What is the cell phone coverage like in Moab? was thinking of bringing some motorolla walky talkies to keep connected with a big group, but if we can do it via cell that is even easier.
we will probably be camping at the Bartlett Wash campground, riding a variety of trails, and having some people in the group climbing at wall street, ice cream, and big bend.
Cel- Usually not very good, IMO. The terrain usually places you in ravines or canyons, and even up high on Porcupine Rim it's not always 100% reliable.

JMH

#99 ·
Great info but I am surprised there is not one mention of tour operators other than shuttles. It would lead me to think that no one uses them? Which assuming you are not familiar with the area or are bringing a less expierienced rider(s) with you you still wing it?
Anyone care to share on this point?

#100 ·
bike + gear rental

I'm going to Moab around the 20th-21th of april. I'll probably arrive in the afternoon and then have one or two full days before we have to move on.
I think that I'll go with a guide on 2 day tours (it's always more fun to ride with someone, than riding alone + i wanna ride the best trails).

My questions are:
- should I reserve a bike and make and appointment in advance?
- should I reserve hotel/motel in advance?
- Is it possible to rent helmet, shoes etc?

Ps: I'm from Denmark and have been dreaming of this since I started mountainbiking many years ago, and now I have the chance! Can't wait to go :) :) :)

#101 ·
Horup said:
I'm going to Moab around the 20th-21th of april. I'll probably arrive in the afternoon and then have one or two full days before we have to move on.
I think that I'll go with a guide on 2 day tours (it's always more fun to ride with someone, than riding alone + i wanna ride the best trails).

My questions are:
- should I reserve a bike and make and appointment in advance?
- should I reserve hotel/motel in advance?
- Is it possible to rent helmet, shoes etc?

Ps: I'm from Denmark and have been dreaming of this since I started mountainbiking many years ago, and now I have the chance! Can't wait to go :) :) :)
I would strongly recommend reserving a bike and motel. I'm not sure about renting helmets, shoes etc. I've only been to Moab once for a week and it was as good if not better than everyone raves about. Hope you have a great time.