Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm so in love with the trails here.

Zax's appetizers are one of the best I've had. Entree's are hit or miss.
    Rustic Inn is damn good place to stay.

Final trip question:
    Snow storm is forecasted for tomorrow through i-70 mtn pass.
    Do snowstorms close the pass on I-70 (like Richfield) to i-15?
    If so, are there other drivable alternatives back to Vegas other than 70 during a snowstorm??

pedlr
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer

Final trip question:
    If so, are there other drivable alternatives back to Vegas other than 70 during a snowstorm??
    That pass can get nasty, but that doesnt mean it will this time. If you have all wheel drive and snow tires, it will likely be just another drive in snowy conditions. If you don;t, I'd monitor
    road conditions carefully as the storm progresses.

You can detour south from moab and turn west at Flagstaff. It's a long detour,
    but if you're not in a hurry the drive through monument valley and the rez
    are interesting. Of course if the storm is coming that way, it can be a mess around flagstaff, also(been there, done that).

If you get stuck here, PM me, we'll treat you to a latte!

pedlr
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer

Final trip question:
    Warning Description: Winter Weather Advisory

Warning Date: 3:26 PM MST on December 28, 2010

WarningSum:...Winter Weather Advisory In Effect From 6 Am Wednesday To 6 Pm
    Mst Friday...

Warning Message:The National Weather Service in Grand Junction has issued a
    Winter Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow...which is in
    effect from 6 am Wednesday to 6 PM MST Friday.
    * Timing...the onset of snowfall is expected early Wednesday
    increasing in coverage and intensity Wednesday night into
    Thursday before diminishing late Friday.
    * Snow accumulation...snowfall accumulations will range from 3 to
    5 inches...with locally higher amounts...by Friday evening.
    * Snow level...snow level is expected to be around 5000 feet
    Wednesday lowering to all valley bottoms Thursday.
    * Winds...southwest 15 to 25 mph shifting to the northwest
    Thursday night.
    * Visibility...could frequently be restricted to less than a
    mile in snow and blowing snow.
    * Impacts...many highways...state...and local roads could be
    significantly impacted by this storm. Roads will likely become
    snowpacked and icy.
    Precautionary/preparedness actions...
    A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow and/or
    blowing snow will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for
    slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while
    driving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman
    If you get stuck here, PM me, we'll treat you to a latte!
    Thanks.

It did get ugly fast and we're lucky to just get out on time. Rode Bootleg Canyon the rest of the break. Awesome trip.!!

I think I'm more in love with Moab now than I was during my initial trip. I think last time, we were just in a rush to get as much gnar riding as we can and sorta missed the draw of the whole place. This time, we took our sweet ass time riding (kinda have to with the wife) and explored the area and town. I think it's adviseable to sorta "throttle down" sometimes and enjoy the place at a different pace.

We will be back...during off season again. I like cheap rooms.

Bad Zen Master

Looking for a dry dog Trail for MLK weekend.

I'm looking for a trail to take my dog out riding with for his first time.

Ideal would be the following:

1) Dry, not snow covered or muddy.
    (Do I need to look toward Arizona or is there something dry within CO?) We have a lot of bare ground in Western Eagle County, Colorado and the snow sitting around is thin. This makes me think that something out there is free of snow.

2) Boring. A wide open double track that goes on for 5-10 miles would work pretty well. An improved dirt road would work too. I want to go along pretty quick so the pup's focus (2yrs old) is on keeping up rather than interacting with the bike/rider.

3) No vehicle traffic and not parallel to paved road.
    If it's a low use dirt road with good visibility then that would be fine. I want plenty of time to park my dog off the road and let vehicles pass.

Any known trails/roads that fit in here?

Thanks for playing.
    High Country Colorado
    www.fullyloadedtouring.com

the #1 Stunna'
    This is the thread that keeps on giving. 2011 is my year to make it out to the mecca, and there is tons of good information here! thanks guys
    I has Bikes

the #1 Stunna'

Shuttles

Anyone know a round-a-bout price for a shuttle from Grand Junction to Moab? I am thinking about not renting a car, and just biking it everywhere while i am there.
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    booked into the kokopelli for a week in April. I can't wait, been dreaming of going to Moab for 10+years....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Moab is awesome. I've only ridden there twice. After the first visit, it inspired me to become a geologist. The second time, I actually understood some of the geology. Can't wait until my boys are old enough to ride out there with me.

mtbr member
    So I am planning a trip from feb 19-21st... short but sweet. I am from the midwest and will be with 3 friends with varying abilities all of us limited to small drops(2-3ft). What suggestions do you guys have for this time of year?

Josh

mtbr member

Recommendation for wife and I?

Great posts in here.
    Can I get an expert opinion...I have hit moab before and ride "all mountain." I did Porcupine and Slick Rock in the past. My wife has also rode there before and rides duel suspension more XC. We are going to be there the first week of April for the first time together. We plan on doing some white water rafting on one day, then I will hit Soverign Trail by myself on another. Together we're looking to do a 3-4 hour loop or out and back (not slickrock) that is light to moderate.
    I was thinking Monitor and Merrimac Trail and taking a look at the dino tracks? Can you ride to them or only hike to them? Thoughts on trail selection? I wouldn't mind staying on the north end because after the ride, we may go into Arches for a few hours.

Thanks all!

pedlr

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    Anyone know a round-a-bout price for a shuttle from Grand Junction to Moab? I am thinking about not renting a car, and just biking it everywhere while i am there.

Shuttle services seem to come and go here
    I usually call the MIC(moab info center), when I need an update on that kind of info. They seem to have the latest scoop. http://www.cnha.org/mic.cfm

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    Great posts in here.
    Can I get an expert opinion...I have hit moab before and ride "all mountain." I did Porcupine and Slick Rock in the past. My wife has also rode there before and rides duel suspension more XC. We are going to be there the first week of April for the first time together. We plan on doing some white water rafting on one day, then I will hit Soverign Trail by myself on another. Together we're looking to do a 3-4 hour loop or out and back (not slickrock) that is light to moderate.
    I was thinking Monitor and Merrimac Trail and taking a look at the dino tracks? Can you ride to them or only hike to them? Thoughts on trail selection? I wouldn't mind staying on the north end because after the ride, we may go into Arches for a few hours.

Thanks all!
    Gemini Bridges is a moderate ride that anyone can enjoy as a shuttle or as an out-and-back. Klondike Bluffs and Baby Steps form a nice loop. There are some challenging bits on BS but nothing high or exposed, just tricky little ledges. You could also ride the MOAB trail system, the trails out there are friendly and easy to loop together.

JMH

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuagore
    So I am planning a trip from feb 19-21st... short but sweet. I am from the midwest and will be with 3 friends with varying abilities all of us limited to small drops(2-3ft). What suggestions do you guys have for this time of year? Josh
    You guys will enjoy Amasa Back and Slickrock, both will almost certainly be clear. Sovereign should be quite good as well. Poison Spider to Portal might be a good ride, but tends to be sandy on PS and gnarly on Portal. If you guys ride the other three with no trouble, check it out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    All right, I have a lot of questions. I'll number them so you guys can answer them more easily.

I want to take my brothers to Moab in the end of May for 3 days. Is 3 days long enough (1) and is end of May it a good time (2)?

I got the flight from Canada to Vegas covered and I plan to rent an SUV to take us to Moab. Do car rentals have optional bike racks (3)?

I found the hotel in Moab, but I really don't know where to start. And I want to drive from town to trails...is there parking available or should we ride from town (4)?

It's important to mention that I'm a road biker and that my brothers are advanced mountain bikers. Of course, I can ride a beginner's trail, but I'd like to know if there is an epic trail that can be ridden by all range of skills (5).

I'd like to plan our 3 days as followed:

1st - one long easy trail for scenery
    2nd - one average trail that they can play in and that I can survive in
    3rd - on the last day, we go seperate ways. I return my mountain bike for a road bike. I drop them off (or they drop me off, depending on what's best) to an expert trail and I go for a road ride.

Does this make any sense? Which trails/road would be the best(6)?

Some more questions...

Can bike shops rent ALL type of equipment (7)? I like to travel with only a carry on.
    Once you got your trails figured out, is it easy to find your way in Moab or should one prepare a lot(8)? Do you need a guide (9)? Is May too hot for an average Canuck or should I wait for the end of fall(10)? My brothers usually prefer to ride in the fall in canada and I commute by bike with light clothes at 20F so maybe we won't be acustomed to that kind of heat. EDIT: Do you get cellphone reception anywhere in and around Moab? (11) If we go on seperate ways, I like the idea of having some way to contact each others (or proper help) in case of an emergency.

I really want to do that trip. And since it's a surprise I want to make to them (I'll pay all expenses), I don't want to ruin it by being such a noob and because of poor planning. I could ask them to find whatever trail they want to ride since they know a lot more about this than I do but I'm the most comfortable in english (ESL) and I've travelled more than them so planning will probably fall on my shoulders. Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by RawKeyBaldBoa
    All right, I have a lot of questions. I'll number them so you guys can answer them more easily.
    I'll try to help with a few questions. Most of these answers will fit with the original topic of this post. The ride questions are pretty tough to give specific answers to. Maybe you should start another thread specifically dealing with rides. My honest opinion is that you should not worry too much about figuring out the rides ahead of time. Especially if it's a surprise to your advanced ability brothers.

All right, here goes:

1. 3 days seems short, especially with all the traveling time just to get to Moab. Are you coming from Quebec?

2. The end of May is a good time. Yes, it may be hot. You can ride earlier if it's exceptionally hot. On the positive side, some trails at higher elevations should be open.

3. It sounds like you're renting bikes in Moab. Bike shops in Moab do have bike racks available. It will be up to you to make sure the rental vehicle can fit them. Receiver hitch? Ability to fit a trunk rack?

4. Most popular trails in Moab have parking available at trailheads. Shuttle companies are popular for many one-way routes.

7. Mountain bikes, road bikes, racks, helmets, pedals - yes. You should bring your own shoes, pedals (since you're bringing your shoes anyway), and hydration pack at least.

8. It's easy to find your way around in Moab.

9. You don't 'need' a guide. Guided rides are much more rewarding than you'll often hear in this forum though. It sounds to me like you might benefit from a guided ride to get your Moab bearings.

11. Tough to say what cell reception you'll get. A road ride in Arches would keep you feeling closer to 'civilization' perhaps.

Have fun with your trip.

FW

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    1. 3 days seems short, especially with all the traveling time just to get to Moab. Are you coming from Quebec?
    What would you suggest? Is 4 days enough? Or should one go for a week? I'm a freelancer, so any day I miss at work makes my trip double expensive. I'm already trying to fit this into a long weekend.

Yes, I'm coming from Quebec.

3. It sounds like you're renting bikes in Moab. Bike shops in Moab do have bike racks available. It will be up to you to make sure the rental vehicle can fit them. Receiver hitch? Ability to fit a trunk rack?
    Yeah, well, obviously I should rent my bike rack in Moab...not Vegas. Thanks for that obvious tip...lol

Btw, is the drive from Vegas as long as Google.Maps put it? 7 hours is kinda of a long drive. Do you know if the road is worth it? Or shoudl I land in Salt Lake City instead? (more $$$ though).

4. Most popular trails in Moab have parking available at trailheads. Shuttle companies are popular for many one-way routes.
    K thanks. I assumed it was. Anytime I go to the US, I'm amazed how easy it is to go around. I was so nervous before going to Hawaii but it was ridiculously simple to get around once over there (compared to say...Europe)

9. You don't 'need' a guide. Guided rides are much more rewarding than you'll often hear in this forum though. It sounds to me like you might benefit from a guided ride to get your Moab bearings.
    Yeah, I like guides too because they usually talk a lot and provide a lot of random info. Feels like reading Wiki. But my brothers are not exactly the listener types, plus, I don't assume they come for cheap.

11. Tough to say what cell reception you'll get. A road ride in Arches would keep you feeling closer to 'civilization' perhaps.
    I don't really care about civilization. As long as no one is never alone. Though thinking of it, I'll be the only one on my own and I'll be on the road so no worries.

Which brings me to another question...is slick rock hazardous? Like can you get injured easily? My only fear of this entire trip is that my brothers are kinda reckless when they get excited and it would really suck to have our trip ruined because of an injury. I plan to tell them that the only condition is that they don't act crazy, but accidents still happen. Are they frequent for peole who has never rode slick rock?

frejwilk
    What would you suggest? ....
    Most of these questions are too personal for easy answers. Pretty much you're looking at how dollars vs days compare for you. You'll save 3hrs driving each way by flying into Salt Lake City. Flying time - who knows? Or dollars? And maybe the flying negates the driving anyway.

It's hard for me to imagine you're going to fly out of Montreal, Burlington, or anywhere else close by, and get to Moab very easily in a day no matter what you plan. Two (full) days travel vs three days riding seems like a tight ratio to me.

With regard to injuries on Slickrock (or any other trail). Some people hurt themselves, but the percentages are astronomically against you being seriously injured there. You're probably in more danger driving into town on the highway. Of course, you know your own brothers better than random folks on the internet...

It seems like you need to focus more on what you can afford as far as time away from work, flights, vehicle rentals, and accommodations are concerned. I think the rest of your planning will be a lot easier to figure out once you actually arrive in Moab.

As I posted before, you might get more answers to some of your specific questions in new threads rather than this one.

FW

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Like I said, I already picked my flight, vehicle and even hotel. The rest is details about biking. I wouldn't want to go in the middle of nowhere, not knowing what to do.

banned
    Like I said, I already picked my flight, vehicle and even hotel. The rest is details about biking. I wouldn't want to go in the middle of nowhere, not knowing what to do.
    RK:

I am a mountain biker who is coming to Canada in July to ride with my three roadie brothers. I want to do several 80 plus mile days and was looking for some rides that you would suggest we try. My normal ride is 12 miles and I climb about 1,500 feet.

What kind ao a car do you suggest I rent for the bikes and do they come with racks?

I also freelance and my budget is pretty tight these days. How many days will it take me to work up to the 80 mile distance so I won't hold my brother up on the rides. They normally ride over a 100 milles, and I am looking for rides that we all can do and really enjoy?

Should I rent a bike with a triple or double and can I ride with my normal flat pedals or do I need to buy new shoes and pedals just for this trip? Do bike shops in Canada rent road shoes and what pedals do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 03-05-2011 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    RK:

I am a mountain biker who is coming to Canada in July to ride with my three roadie brothers. I want to do several 80 plus mile days and was looking for some rides that you would suggest we try. My normal ride is 12 miles and I climb about 1,500 feet.

What kind ao a car do you suggest I rent for the bikes and do they come with racks?

I also freelance and my budget is pretty tight these days. How many days will it take me to work up to the 80 mile distance so I won't hold my brother up on the rides. They normally ride over a 100 milles, and I am looking for rides that we all can do and really enjoy?

Should I rent a bike with a triple or double and can I ride with my normal flat pedals or do I need to buy new shoes and pedals just for this trip? Do bike shops in Canada rent road shoes and what pedals do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

TD
    Hi traildoc,

I'm sure you know that Canada is pretty large. You should narrow down what area you would want to visit. As I mentionned, I'm a noob in moutain biking so I don't know much about this. Besides, you'd have better luck asking these questions in the Canada forums.

Good luck.

banned
    Hi traildoc,

I'm sure you know that Canada is pretty large. You should narrow down what area you would want to visit. As I mentionned, I'm a noob in moutain biking so I don't know much about this. Besides, you'd have better luck asking these questions in the Canada forums.

Good luck.
    You mentioned that your brothers are good mountain bikers and you are a roadie. That means either your brothers are going to have to go on a beginner ride with you or you are going to have to walk a lot of the trails they might want to ride. There is no way a beginner mountain biker is going to be able to hang with good mountain bikers in Moab unless they are willing to go on a beginner trail because you are paying for the trip.

What kind of shoes and pedals are you planning to ride with? What king of leg and arm protection are you going to wear? What kind of bike shorts are you planning to ride with? What kind of gloves do you plan on wearing? At least look like a mountain biker, so if you crash you will be able to get up and continue to ride. If you don't wear arm protection you might consider a long sleeved poly shirt to give you some arm and sun protection.

If you ride down Hazard watch your speed and be careful of the rut. I have seen many beginner riders eat it about 200 yards into the ride.

Please give a report how your trip went.

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It looks like a bunch of us North Vancouverites will be landing in Moab right after Jeep week, around the 25th of April. We usually camp out in the Slickrock area, do you think it will be tough finding a camping spot?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi all! I am like everyone else on this forum...planing a trip to Moab for some mountain biking. I am coming from Boulder, CO which is only a 6 hour hop in a car, so me, my wife, and some friends are heading out to ride for a few days. I have been reading through these forums and I have some good ideas about which trails I may want to try, but I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some input about camping and more trails. (NOTE: Skill levels range from beginner to expert)

We do NOT want to stay in a hotel or too close to town, we would like to be a little further away from town and civilization What I am looking for (and hoping exists out there) is a place I can toss up some tents (for free), and hit a different trail that is relatively close to camp without having to drive. I am thinking we are going to have 3 full days of biking and maybe some hiking.

So the million dollar question, does such a place exists in Moab? Or might it be better to head to canyonlands? I am a noob on the Moab/Utah biking scene, as I have never been there, so I am looking for some people to help mold my knowledge of the place and give me some great ideas.

We are looking to head out the in mid-late May. Hope to hear some great ideas from ya guys!

Thanks!
    ~Nick

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by nbitzer
    Hi all! I am like everyone else on this forum...planing a trip to Moab for some mountain biking. I am coming from Boulder, CO which is only a 6 hour hop in a car, so me, my wife, and some friends are heading out to ride for a few days. I have been reading through these forums and I have some good ideas about which trails I may want to try, but I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some input about camping and more trails. (NOTE: Skill levels range from beginner to expert)

We do NOT want to stay in a hotel or too close to town, we would like to be a little further away from town and civilization What I am looking for (and hoping exists out there) is a place I can toss up some tents (for free), and hit a different trail that is relatively close to camp without having to drive. I am thinking we are going to have 3 full days of biking and maybe some hiking.

So the million dollar question, does such a place exists in Moab? Or might it be better to head to canyonlands? I am a noob on the Moab/Utah biking scene, as I have never been there, so I am looking for some people to help mold my knowledge of the place and give me some great ideas.

We are looking to head out the in mid-late May. Hope to hear some great ideas from ya guys!

Thanks!
    ~Nick
    Sand Flats is pretty nice and offers easy access to several classics, but it is not free to camp there and if it's a busy weekend it can be difficult to find a spot. Same goes with spots on Kane Creek road. Remote free camping can be had further from town but it's not likely to be close to more than one trailhead. My advice for SF and KC areas? If you are coming in April or May, plan to show up mid-week and grab whatever you can. Next morning when people are packing up, go nab something sweet.

It's kind of like trying to get the line on the elusive free condo in Whistler next to the Garbo lift. It might happen once in a while but it's darned unlikely.

I certainly roll snake eyes every once in a while... I have ended up squeezing into the ghetto overflow dirt lot at Sand Flats after checking all my favorite spots in a 10 mile radius of town and finding them occupied.

Oh, and off topic but not really:

NEW TRAIL right in Moab. PIPE DREAM runs from the Hidden Valley Trailhead back into town. It's techy but not over-the-top and is a great way to sample the local goods without a long drive. It's new this spring so there are still a very small number few soft spots and sandy turns. It's 100% rideable as an out-and-back from town, but it flows noticeably better when ridden South to North. Credit the folks at Trail Mix for finally putting a trail in Moab that dumps you out right next to beer!

http://www.moabtimes.com/view/full_s...nds-Day-events

JMH

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nbitzer

Thanks!
    ~Nick
    There's camping along the willow springs road, near a sovereign trailhead, along dalton wells road, near another sovereign trailhead, camping on the road to Klondike, and camping on the road to monitor and merrimac and bartlett wash, just off the top of my head. On a busy weekend you'd want to go farther back these roads to avoid much
    Winnabegos and travel trailers with attendent atv's and motos, but with a little patience some privacy could be found even on the busiest weekend.
    My favorite hidden spot for potential camping would be a little loop of the copper ridge road, just south east of Klondike Trail head. This little loop goes right up against the park,
    (arches), and I believe the camp spots are legal. It would require high clearance to get started, and 4 wheel to get back to the hinter part of it. This little loop is also a fine mtn bike ride, although short, and virtually unknown. It is probably in 4 wheel guidebooks.

I see camping spots on Garden Mesa, dont know if they're legal, and even inside the bar m loop on the northern mesa, which must be legal, cause they're damn visable.

Of all of these, I might start with willow springs road, if I were new, there will be spots, and if you are diligent you can find some dang fine ones, on side spurs behind rock outcroppings.

mtbr member

Memorial Weekend Trip

I just got back from a few days in Moab and wanted to post my experience for anyone needing some reference.

Bike- Ran my '09 Titus El Guapo, but we also had a '07 Enduro and '08 Stumpy FSR Pro and a 2010 Ibis Mojo SL. Our tires ranged from Tioga Psycho Genius 2.1/2.3 combo to a Maxxis Highroller and HolyRoller combo. All tires hooked p well in the loose over hardpack and slickrock. The wider tires performed better in the sand sections and the 2.1 WTB Motoraptor was the best of the narrow tires.

Trails- We ran the shuttle (Moab Bike Shop) up in the morning to do Kokopelli to UPS to LPS to Porcupine Rim. This was an awesome run with a little of everything in terms of terrain. No flats among the 4 of us, but a couple minor mechanicals (broken chain, loose bolts, bent levers and bruises) and helped someone else with a spare tube. My 100oz. hydration pack was sufficient water in the 92 deg heat. I usually consume a lot of water and I still had plenty left after the ride into town. 25 miles total.

In the afternoon we ran a loop out at Bar-M and paid the $5 parking fee. This was a nice cool down in the evening kept the muscles loose. We strung together a couple of loops out there to make about a dozen miles. It was ok, but still some nice single track out there and some nice views way off in the distance.

Morning in Moab had severe wind warning in excess of 45mph. Out at Slick Rock it was closer to 50-60mph gusts through the saddles between the hills. It made a challenging trail even more so. This was a great trail and due to the wind and heat we did not see a ton of people or vehicles on the trails. All tires and even slicks hooked up well on the rock.

Bike Shops- We had great luck at the following. All had competitive retails (with some items a little higher) and lots of logo'd apparel and accessories if you want souvenirs. All did everything they could to repair crash damage and supply parts to get us out on the trails ASAP.

Moab Bike Shop - Bought some gear and supplies as well as booked out shuttle run in the morning. Thanks to Meric (sp?) for hooking us up!

Poison Spider on - Helped with some mechanicals and were reasonably priced and good service. Sent us to a competitor after tracking down some parts they did not have in stock.

Rim Cyclery- Great service and a good selection of bikes and parts. Really helped us out on some repairs to get us out on the next ride quickly.

These LBS rock to save your vacations. We can't thank them enough. You always bring parts and supplies, but it never fails that something is damaged enough to require a pro or need additional parts.

Food- We ate at the following and had good and adequate experience.

Blue Pig ? (BBQ)- Located next to La Quinta. Pretty good and authentic southern bbq. I've had better, but it was good and filling. Price was about $25 + tip for a dinner and a couple of beers. Service was great.

Moab Diner (diner fare)- Good food and reasonably prices. Service was great. Cost was about $10 for dinner and a soda (what no beer).

Pasta Jay's (Italian) - Good food and reasonable prices. Service was good. Cost was about $15 for a meal.

Fiesta Mexicana (Mexican)- Food was adequate and a little overpriced. Service was good, but I wouldn't waste your money. Lunch was about $20 + tip with a $5 beer.

Hogi Yogi/Teriyaki Stix (sandwiches and Asian) - Food was ok. Service was ok. Typical fast food Asian food and sandwiches.

Lodging - La Quinta was a good place to crash. Price was reasonable for 2 beds and the rooms were clean and quite. $150/ night for 2 double beds. Rooms were big enough to bring all the gear and bikes up. They never batted an eye at the bikes coming through the lobby. The staff was very courteous and the breakfast was pretty extensive compared to the continental's I have had at competing brands.

Hope this helps anyone planning a trip. I know this thread was very valuable to me in planning my trip.

N8!
    mtbr member
    Hi all!

I am planning a trip to Moab in a couple wks and am wondering what is a good tire for the trails? I currently run ExiWolfs on my Pivot 429.

Would my Exi's be a good choice, or should I consider something else?

Assistance greatly appreciated!

pedlr

tires

Some of us use Nevegals. I run 2.35. They are as good as or better than anything else I have tried over the years.
    I just mounted a Cedric Garcia 2.1 on the rear wheel, just to check it out( and rode the Magnificent 7), and it's ok,
    but the Nevegal has a little more bite climbing up ledges out of the loose stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    meh... moab has such a wide variety of terrain I'm not sure it matters too much. I've been using a maxxis high roller in the back for years, and my front switches between maxxis minion dhf, intense dh and intense 909, depending on what jenson has for sale. treats me nice and works well in Colorado where I do most of my riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Howdy to all my singletrack brethren west of the Mississippi,

I am new to the forum and will be heading out the Moab area the dates of September 9th through the 17th. Any suggestions for must do rides ?

Also if anyone out there will be around those dates and needs a riding partner feel free to drop me a line. I do not get out to Utah much so I am all about getting some long days in the saddle.

Hope to see you on the trail.

Cheers,

Zach

mtbr member
    If you find yourself looking at Porcupine Rim, do yourself a favor and start higher up at Burro Pass. You can do a 35 mile ride through several different linked trails dropping 7000' of elevation and ending with Porcupine Rim. They call it the Whole Enchilada and it's amazing. You can get a shuttle ride up to the top - ask at the Chile Pepper Bike Shop and they'll help you get in touch with a shuttle company. You can also rent some sweet demo bikes there.

I rode the Whole Enchilada on my first Moab trip a couple years ago and it was a life-changingly awesome experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    great info, planing to go there soon

fan of maple syrup
    Hi there. Just wondering if anything is going on in town around 14-17 Sept? Having trouble finding a com this far out. Admittedly I'm using what appears to be pretty generic reservation pages for the hotels/inns I'm looking at as opposed to calling, maybe that's it?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great thread! I'm glad to here the 4 wheelin' types are friendly, because I'm one myself...

I'm headed to Moab 9/18-9/23 with my Jeep club, but wanted to get at least a couple of good rides in. I've been to Moab a few times before, but this will be my first time with my MTB and the first time with my Jeep. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any recent White Rim news? I know the road has been closed from Mineral Bottom to Hardscrabble to cars, but open to bikes and foot traffic. Can anyone comment on the current condition on how that section is? Sandy? Muddy? I plan to ride clockwise, starting at Mineral and ending with the closed section. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Ride Partner wanted 10/14 or 10/15/11

I would like to do the whole enchilada or Poison Spider. They are on the bucket list. The family will be with me but my husband doesn't ride so he will be hanging with the kids. I have been riding 15 yrs and should be able to handle both rides, I just like to have a partner just in case. I also like to shuttle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well finally getting out to Moab next week. A group of 5 of us has turned into a group of two. Our biggest concern is finding that great mountain biking campsite. I have searched through this forum and hear a lot about Sand Flats. Our biggest concern is going early November, and want to make sure we get the most sun possible. I hear spots near the river dont get much early morning sun do to the big cliffs. Is Sand Flats a good spot or should i look for another place? Where would a local go to camp in early Nov?

Thanks for any help?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sand Flats will get lots of sun, go to site C which is just up the hill past the Slickrock trailhead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thats great help, thanks. How about firewood? I do realize that Moab is in the midddle of the stinking desert. Im driving there from Tahoe, and am wondering if i should bring wood. dont really want to go to a grocery store and buy a small bundle for $5. I am happy to bring it if needed. Thanks again

Oh, and is finding Sand Flats difficult? Ive been to Moab, but not to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You'll need to bring firewood or get the bundle at a gas station/grocery store, there is none at the camp site.

Just follow the signs in town for the Sand Flats Recreation area or Slickrock trail. You'll pay a fee to use the campsite ($10 per night per car). Go past the Slickrock trailhead parking lot, up a hill. Road will go from paved to improved dirt. Right at this spot is where sites C (left of the road) and D (right of the road) are.

Sand Flats Recreation Area | Utah.com
    Slickrock Bike Trail & Sand Flats Recreation Area - Complete trip planning information.

PNW DH
    Aug 2011
    Ill be in Moab wednesday the 2nd-8th. Looking to ride DH terrian/trails. Been to moab but never for biking so can anyone recommend DH trails? Ive talked with some shops and they reccomended "the portal trail"...difficult? Porqupine rim and whole enchilada, are these dh or xc?
    I'll be climbing as well so if anyone climbs and rides give me a shout. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Any advice on more downhill-style rides?

Quote Originally Posted by PNW DH View Post
    Ill be in Moab wednesday the 2nd-8th. Looking to ride DH terrian/trails. Been to moab but never for biking so can anyone recommend DH trails? Ive talked with some shops and they reccomended "the portal trail"...difficult? Porqupine rim and whole enchilada, are these dh or xc?
    I'll be climbing as well so if anyone climbs and rides give me a shout. Thanks for the help!
    I'm also planning a trip for my 35th birthday with a group of more downhill-style riders. We're not afraid to pedal, but are downhillers. Thanks ahead!

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Hi all!

This thread is great. I'm planning on being in Moab in early January.

Weather-wise... what should I look out for? Am I going to get hit with a monster snow storm that will bury my tent? Or is it usually pretty mild?

Trail-wise... what should I look out for? Can I ride all the trails in the area this time of year?

Ride-wise... where should I look for people who are going on rides? Is there a local forum I could look at? I'm going to be solo, and don't want to spend money on a full guided tour. Would rather hook up with others who are going out the days when I'll be in town.

Thanks and I can't wait to ride Moab!!
    Something with wheels and brakes.

92Fifty' Race Team

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030 View Post
    Hi all!

This thread is great. I'm planning on being in Moab in early January.

Weather-wise... what should I look out for? Am I going to get hit with a monster snow storm that will bury my tent? Or is it usually pretty mild?

Trail-wise... what should I look out for? Can I ride all the trails in the area this time of year?

Ride-wise... where should I look for people who are going on rides? Is there a local forum I could look at? I'm going to be solo, and don't want to spend money on a full guided tour. Would rather hook up with others who are going out the days when I'll be in town.

Thanks and I can't wait to ride Moab!!
    Anything can happen in January, you could be riding in shorts or buried in snow. Down low snow usually goes away quickly and trails open. Nights are cold. Bike shops and this forum are good places to look for people to ride with.

mtbr member
    I am trying to coordinate a couple of groups meeting in Moab in May 2012. Last year when we were there April 30-May 1 the shuttles said they needed a few more weeks and the Whole Enchilada would be open.

I have heard many others say that it isn't open till June or July. What's typical? Thanks Mark
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    I am trying to coordinate a couple of groups meeting in Moab in May 2012. Last year when we were there April 30-May 1 the shuttles said they needed a few more weeks and the Whole Enchilada would be open.

I have heard many others say that it isn't open till June or July. What's typical? Thanks Mark
    Typical is that it depends on many things. Typical is that fall is the best time to ride it. Also typical is that when it opens in the late spring or summer, it's usually very hot which is difficult for many and dangerous for some.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

As my username tells i'm a french biker.
    i'm planning my bike/road trip to Utah/Colorado area to ride the trails with my 575 on September.
    i have not yet found the trails i'll ride but for first i'm wondering if September is the right season to go.
    it's not cold yet ? not too much rain and about trails conditions ?

Thanks for your help, think i'll have other questions later.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchi rider View Post
    Hi guys,

As my username tells i'm a french biker.
    i'm planning my bike/road trip to Utah/Colorado area to ride the trails with my 575 on September.
    i have not yet found the trails i'll ride but for first i'm wondering if September is the right season to go.
    it's not cold yet ? not too much rain and about trails conditions ?

Thanks for your help, think i'll have other questions later.
    Southern Utah is a desert. September is usually great. High in the mountains can be very different. It really depends on where you are. September is a great time to ride the Burro trail all the way down to the colorado river. Think about adding that ride to your list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A couple of us midwesterners are planning a trip to Moab over memorial day weekend. Any must do trail suggestions, I just watched a video of the whole enchilada over at bike rags site and was very impressed but bummed it wont be open most likely when we are there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast