Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not in my experience in March and November but things may have changed? Usually the outside patio is closed in the winter but was not aware that the whole restaurant was...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great thread and also great forum for that matter. So happy I found you guys. And thanks for everyone's participation.

Regarding Moab, I am planning a trip either this October or next May. Which month would be your pick for the best weather? My camper has no air, so am trying to pick a month that would not cook me too much.

Also how is the boondocking in Moab or the local vicinity? Is boondocking allowed or do you get hassled by the rangers?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Another Satisfied Customer

This guy had a ton of Moab questions earlier this year... wasn't sure if he should come out by himself, etc. His thread received a ton of replies from peeps here, he made the trip, had a great time and wrote a brilliant thread on Passion:

My trip to Moab (Tons of Pics!)

JMH

starladear
    Feb 2004
    Get the map before you come to study trails, 2nd the big tires, add pasta jays to the menu, camp out if you can(great experience), and start drinking water NOW. Enjoy mtb heaven

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by w1000w

Also how is the boondocking in Moab or the local vicinity? Is boondocking allowed or do you get hassled by the rangers?

Boondocking?

FW

Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    Boondocking?

I can only presume this means camping for free, wherever. This is increasingly difficult, and basically impossible (legally) close to town. Up in the mountains in your best bet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great thread and also great forum for that matter. So happy I found you guys. And thanks for everyone's participation.

Regarding Moab, I am planning a trip either this October or next May. Which month would be your pick for the best weather? My camper has no air, so am trying to pick a month that would not cook me too much.

Sorry man looks like no one replied. Both are awesome times to go. I personally like the fall a little more as there is a lot of activity and 4 wheelers and such in May and less so in the fall. But both are great and you'll have a blast regardless...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

"Boondocking"

There is camping on BLM all over the place around Moab. The fees are 8-10 as I recall, but no services at all other than a pit toilet. You bring your own water. If you mean free camping, they have put fees on everything within about 10 miles of town. The closest free camping is probably out Kane Creek road at the base of Hurrah Pass. It is a graded dirt road to get to the camping. Just last year they banned the free camping down south by Ken's Lake which was a lot easier to get to (paved). I haven't been down there to see if it is still open, but just off of 191 about 10 miles south of town a lot of people used to camp by the 24 Hours of Moab course at Behind The Rocks.

Your best bet is to go to the Visitor's Center at Main and Center and ask them. I guarantee the people working in there get this question 10 times a week, and they will know the closest free camping.

mtbr member
    I just got back from a trip to Moab. The weather was great the whole time we were there. Barlett Wash was my favorite riding area. There is free camping at the trailhead and even though the riding area isn't that big, you can spend as much time as you want playing on all the slickrock. Here's a sample of the some of the awesome riding at Barlett.

Sovereign Singletrack was also lots of fun. Some good flowing sections with lots of rock features to make it interesting.

We didn't find Poison Spider to be that much fun. It had good views but I'm not a big fan of jeep roads and sand. We turned around before we got to the Portal trail since it was getting dark. The ride turned into more of an adventure on the way back when we missed a turn (which wasn't very evident). After some backtracking we found the route down and rode the last few miles in the dark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanksgiving Snow

Day after Thanksgiving, 2007. Three inches of snow in Moab. It can happen.

If you are planning on coming to Moab anytime in November through early March, be prepared for nighttime temps down to high teens and possible snow.

Singletrack Addict
    Great thread.

Commendable to have such an effort to help those of us planning trips to the "Mecca of Mountain Biking." That said, I think it's over-rated! Not really, it is a spectacular place to ride--wholly different, but I love the riding I have in my own backyard here in Oregon. The first time I came to Moab, in 1990, I was blown away by the unique quality of the riding and the other-worldly aspect of the scenery and in-your-face geology.

Problem with riding in the Pacific NorthWET is that for much of the year the riding is Slim Pickens (or how I learned to love the Mud). So every couple of years I make a pilgrimmage to Tucson and ride in circles in the Old Pueblo in February. In 2004 we came back via Moab and spent 5 days riding and had the whole place to ourselves. It was great. Except a snow storm had come through the area prior to our arrival and some of the higher stuff was inaccessible. Notably Porcupine Rim. We spent a very arduous day riding from our camp along the road to Castle Valley (yes we are hearty souls) into town and up to Slickrock and then after a loop on the "World Famous" trail, continued on up to Porc rim only to slog through heavy snow for about 6 miles until we got low enough to actually enjoy some riding. We didn't enjoy it for very long though since it got dark and we picked our way down with feeble lights. 3.2 never tasted so good at the brewery washing down burgers a couple hours later.

This year we are planning another trip to Tucson and contemplating a swing through Moab on the way there, spending at least four days. We fully understand that weather can be questionable at this time of year and have determined to make no absolute plans. We will be flexible up to the day of departure as to our destination. If Moab looks crappy, we will head directly to southern Arizona. But another caveat that was proposed (partly due to our bad experience, err . . . adventure) is that Porcupine Rim must be clear.

So my question to the wise bikers lurking on the Utah board: is Porcupine Rim high enough to be snow-bound throughout the winter? On our February '04 trip we found plenty to ride, but of the 3 times I have been to Moab I have been shut out on that ride 3 times and one of these times I've got to complete it proper!

Any other advice or admonitions concerning coming to Moab in February would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Charlie B

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl

So my question to the wise bikers lurking on the Utah board: is Porcupine Rim high enough to be snow-bound throughout the winter? On our February '04 trip we found plenty to ride, but of the 3 times I have been to Moab I have been shut out on that ride 3 times and one of these times I've got to complete it proper!

Any other advice or admonitions concerning coming to Moab in February would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Charlie B
    The simple answer is yes, Porcupine Rim is high enough to be snow bound throughout the winter.

You do realize there are other rides in Moab? Your post mentions your group having ridden Slickrock and Porcupine Rim. There are other rides which are usually open in February that offer similar terrain to Porcupine Rim. There are also other rides that are rewarding, and completely different from Porcupine Rim.

I would recommend checking weather in Moab as your dates approach, and basing your travel around that. If Porcupine Rim is the decision maker, plan between April and November for another trip.

FW

Singletrack Addict
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes I do realize there are other rides and I have ridden a few of them even. I am also aware that there are plenty of rides I haven't. I do harbor a slight level of frustration however, at having tasted Porcupine, but not getting to sup on the whole meal. Perhaps I was hasty in making the accessability of Porcupine Rim the make or break deal. That is why I posed the question. I want to know if that is reasonable expectation. Sounds like no, yet plenty of other options abound.

Three of us have been to Moab at least a couple times, three others have never been. If weather cooperates we hope to introduce them.

I also have to admit that when we attempted Porcupine Rim in February '04 we continued on up the canyon in blind determination despite heavier and heavier snow on the ground. Foolhardy and even dangerous perhaps. On the other hand we did abort an attempt on the White Rim because of uncertain conditions. A few years older and hopefully wiser, I hope to be better prepared.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Thanks for the feedback.

Three of us have been to Moab at least a couple times, three others have never been. If weather cooperates we hope to introduce them.
    I hope my previous post didn't come across with too much attitude. You're from Oregon, so you're familiar with elevation and seasons.. The high point of Porcupine Rim is almost 7000'. Obviously not the best place to be in February. This is a general thread aimed at riders planning trips to Moab, so I'm answering with that in mind.

The following rides are usually rideable year round.

Amasa Back / Jackson trail is a nice loop with similar terrain to the Porcupine Rim trail. Sovereign Trail, Flat Pass, and Gold Bar Rim would be progressively harder options if you like Porcupine style ledges. Bartlett Wash might be of interest if you like rock, but need something 'different'.

Since your group has ridden here before, you may be familiar with these options. I'm simply suggesting them as others might share your questions.

Moab can be very nice in February. That's not guaranteed though. Any of the shops in Moab can give you excellent recommendations on what rides are good seasonally. Check with them. Don't assume anything will be open at any given time during winter months.

That said, and generally speaking, Moab riding is a nice surprise during the 'off season'.

Have fun,

FW

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    I hope my previous post didn't come across with too much attitude.

. . . Since your group has ridden here before, you may be familiar with these options. I'm simply suggesting them as others might share your questions. . . .

Have fun,

FW
    Hey, no worries, FW.
    After reading this thread and browsing some others, I didn't see anything specific to the "off season" opportunities, so I figured this was the appropriate place to inquire.

This is exactly one of the great benefits of these regional forums.

I may open another thread for other questions, especially concerning weather once we get closer to February.

Thanks again,
    CB

Freeriding Feline

Trip Advice

Guys:

I've been checking out this thread and others to plan for an April Moab trip.
    We're from NY and will be flying from there (JFK, Laguardia) with our bikes.

I remember seeing something about NOT flying into the small Moab airport but I can't find the thread.

I was also wondering about places to stay. I've done the Expedia search and what not but I was wondering about real life experiences!

Any links, pics, PM's, e-mail would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    KAT
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Great Lakes Airlines, etc.

The air carrier into Moab changed just this week (again). The airport in Moab is really small, and the only scheduled commercial is now two flights per day to/from from Denver on Great Lakes Airline (flygreatlakes.com). The last few years it has been coming from SLC on another airline, and I heard some horror stories about people being stranded out there. It looks like the airfare is $99 each way. Not bad, considering. Whether you feel comfortable crossing the mountains in a prop job is your call. Also, since there are only two flights a day, if you miss your connection you can be stranded.

The next closest airport is Grand Junction, CO, 1.5 hours away, and it has regular passenger jet service, but it tends to be really expensive. SLC is about four hours away, and Denver is about seven.

You can get a shuttle from Grand Junction or SLC to Moab, or rent a car. Once in Moab, you can get shuttles to and from most trailheads, and you can ride to Slickrock, Amasa Back, Moab RIm and Poison Spider easily. Personally I would rent a car just to be able to drive around and see the sights in between rides.

As for motels, everyone has their favorites, and it depends on your budget. The Gonzo Inn is cool and has a great location, the Moab Valley Inn is nice, the Redstone Inn is cheap but the rooms are small, if you bleed money there is a high end resort about fifteen miles up the river (Sorrel River Ranch) and the Red Cliffs Lodge just down from that that is not as expensive. Then there are the usual chain suspects, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort, Super 8 and a bunch of non-chain of varying quality. Hunt around through the archives here. A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend. Even the cheap chain motels are close to $100 a night in April.

If you are planning on April, I would get reservations ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Camping spots for a travel trailer

What a great source of information. Thank you to everybody that has posted here. I have been coming to mtbr for years but just discovered the forum last night. This is awesome!

My wife and I are starting to plan a mountain bike trip and we are thinking about a week in the Moab area. Dates are not firm yet. We are thinking maybe late April early May. We will be "camping" in our travel trailer (I know we are wooses). I was just wondering about some cool spots to set up base camp. We don't need hookups, in fact we would prefer to stay away from RV parks. We would like something that feels remote and natural and riding distance to some trails would be cool. The trailer is 26' total length and we tow it with a 4wd diesel truck. We have taken it on many a dirt road and had to use the 4wd on many ocassions to make it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When we camp close to home I first go scout it out on my dual sport motorcycle. This is a little too far for a scout trip first.

Thanks alot everyone

Bored Carp
    Sand Flats campground is riding distance to Slickrock, Porcupine, Fins n Things (n things = sand pits). A, B, and C are all really great loops for RV camping. You will see coyotes, lizards and owls if your site is quiet at night, and during the day, there is a beautiful view of the LaSals.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Winter Riding Opportunities

There is certainly some great riding to be had in Moab during the winter. If you are coming from someplace REALLY cold, the sunny 35 degree days might feel like paradise to you.

Usually the lower trails (pretty much anything besides Porcupine) are ridable all winter, but there has been a lot of snow this year. Just a bit of snow or ice is enough to make the sandstone treacherous, so it's best to avoid trails with cliffs and exposure if you aren't sure. Here are some pics from a recent "no bikes" trip: Snowab, UT

But during a normal winter we usually get in at least one satisfying trip. February has been good to us in the past.

JMH

Singletrack Addict

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    There is certainly some great riding to be had in Moab during the winter. If you are coming from someplace REALLY cold, the sunny 35 degree days might feel like paradise to you.

Usually the lower trails (pretty much anything besides Porcupine) are ridable all winter, but there has been a lot of snow this year. Just a bit of snow or ice is enough to make the sandstone treacherous, so it's best to avoid trails with cliffs and exposure if you aren't sure. Here are some pics from a recent "no bikes" trip: Snowab, UT

But during a normal winter we usually get in at least one satisfying trip. February has been good to us in the past.

JMH
    I am hoping to make Moab a destination on our way to Tucson next month (just a couple weeks away!) for the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. Interesting what you say about the winter conditions this year. We won't make a final decision until right up to our departure on February 9th, so I'm hoping for some local feedback concerning current conditions.
    February '04 was the last time I got to Moab and it was pretty excellent

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Sand Flats campground is riding distance to Slickrock, Porcupine, Fins n Things (n things = sand pits). A, B, and C are all really great loops for RV camping. You will see coyotes, lizards and owls if your site is quiet at night, and during the day, there is a beautiful view of the LaSals.

Thanks a bunch for the info!

Sir Hurt Locker
    Has anyone ever stayed at Slickrock Campground? I have a site booked there for April. And also how is it camping in a tent in Moab at the end of April?
    Cheers,

Seb

Shattering Glass
    It can go either way weather wise. I've seen 90 and 30 dry and wet. Slickrock is a nice campground. My favorite spot is the last campground before porcupine. Quite serene up there and clean pristine camp site's as long as you leave them that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There are two Slickrock campgrounds. The one up there by the Slickrock trail that is a good campground, and the actual Slick Rock camp ground which is a privately owned pay/RV campground. I've stayed a both a bunch of times. The one you have the res at is the one on Main Street just north of town that is the RV camp ground. Probably the best of all of them in town. Has decent showers, it "snows" there IE the cottonwood trees produce a lot of seelings that build up on everything. It drives some people nuts but is not a bad place at all. It is nice with the showers and toilets and good for socializing. Not sure what the crowd there is like this time of year, probably a couple MTBers there. I personally prefer actually camping out in the Moab area, on Kane Creek Road, on River road up the Colorado, or north or south of town. There are some amazing natural campgrounds out there. A lot/most are BLM campgrounds that pay I think $3 a night. Either way you'll be fine but I prefer more rural.. But this time of year things should warm up a little and you can take some nice incredibly cold dips in the river and this will clean you up a little...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast