Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab Trip Planner

255K views 1K replies 292 participants last post by  MSU Alum 
#1 ·
This thread is designed to assist the uninitiated in planning a trip to the mecca that is Moab, as well as provide the experienced with a variety of new and different views on old favorites. There is a similar thread over on the Arizona forum that has proven very useful.

Some ground "rules":

-Keep it productive and on-topic. Respectful disagreement only, please.

-Try to word your description for someone who has never been, ever. This is not as easy as it would seem.

-Strive for brevity.

-Beta on trails, link-ups, bike shops, restaurants, camping, etc. Title posts appropriately.

-Demonstrative pictures welcome.

#446 ·
What snow?

I haven't been around to that side of the mountain, there was about 6" of snow at the base of Geyser Rd. about three weeks ago but it's been sunny and warm since . From town it looks like most everything below the loop road is clear so I think riding from Kokopelli down is clear or at least rideable .

#450 ·
I saw the Poison Spider shuttle and Rim out and about in December, but......a lot of businesses take extended vacations or cut back services this time of year. Try calling Chili Pepper bikes (435-259-4688) they are open and I think they use third party shuttle services so they might have an idea whose running.

#449 ·
it heavily rained this past weekend. I didn't ride it, so I don't know what porc will look like this coming weekend, but it all looked nasty after the rain so we stayed on slickrock. Also saw it looked like most (if not all) shuttle companies closed their shuttle service for the winter. I gave up looking for a shuttle due to the rain though, so there may be one out there. Moab Cyclery and Poison Spider was a no-go...

#454 ·
Sort of the start of the season do depends on weather really. You'll find something - just depends on how far out you'll need to go. Kane Creek, potash and 128 for BLM camping. You'll find spots that range from 10 min to an hour from town.

Another option is out Dalton Wells. Plenty of dispersed camping and you'll be close to the Klonzo Network of trails if that's your bag.

#456 ·
Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.

#457 ·
Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.
Thanks, guess we'll look at other options.

#460 ·
Hi, I was considering a mtb trip to Moab next weekend (Feb 27-Mar 1), but it looks like there's been some snow recently, and snow/rain is in the forecast for Feb 28. How are the trails looking? Is there a website/forum where people post current trail conditions for Moab?

I don't mind riding in the wet/snowy/cold, but if there's enough snow accumulation that things are getting unrideable, I'd probably reschedule. I'm hoping to ride Capt Ahab and similar stuff, but plan to adapt based on conditions.

Thanks for the help!

#462 ·
How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

Thanks for any assistance!

#476 ·
Well, due to an RV fire closing 191 Saturday AM just past Klondike North, we ended up heading there despite the race going on. We parked in the far North lot and went up Homer/Alaska, and then went over and headed down Baby Steps North. We must have been late enough in the AM for most of the race to be done, because we didn't pass a single racer.

Checked out Rocky Tops and Ramblin' at Navajo in the afternoon and even did a quick lap on LazyEZ in the evening after the Thaw event closed down. Then had Hymasa/Ahab all to ourselves Sunday AM.

Look forward to checking out Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island at Navajo. Pretty fun stuff. Not to mention need to ride the rest of Klondike and Klonzo.... Thanks for sharing, you guys are getting a ton of trails built!

#478 ·
Coming out to Moab May 22d for a few days. I don't know a thing about the trails. Could someone just give me a list of good intermediate trails I could ride, preferrably close to town. I can look them up if I have a list. Not too keen on anything with a LOT of exposure, you know, I'm old. Thanks.

#479 ·
Close to town you have the Slickrock Trail and the Amasa Back area. Trails at Amasa Back are pretty advanced with the exception of the Hymasa singletrack. Pipe Dream is close and is probably considered tough, intermediate. Probably worth your while to head up to North Klondike which has a large network of singletrack trails or the newish Navajo Rocks trails. The Moab Brands trails should be thrown in there as well. Here is a link for detailed descriptions: Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. Have fun!