Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
    mtbr member
    just curious if anyone has any insight on how quickly kings bottom actually fills up? I usually camp in BLM land up by sovereign, but have always wanted to try kings area (since i enjoy amasa back so much)

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    just curious if anyone has any insight on how quickly kings bottom actually fills up? I usually camp in BLM land up by sovereign, but have always wanted to try kings area (since i enjoy amasa back so much)
    I've arrived there during peak season weekends and found vacant sites. I have seen it full from time to time, and my fall-back is the Potash road sites. Between the two I have never been let down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thursday night was a zoo, everything on Kane creek was full until the ledge loop B. We stayed there and Friday morning were able to catch someone leaving hunter canyon and got their site. We got lucky, however, everything in the cane creek, sand flats, and some other areas were full all weekend. We had a number of people try and set up tents on our site in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and there was also a group that arrived at 3 am and hiked up near the arch in hunter canyon to poach a site. They were really loud and didn't seem to mind the fact that they woke up the whole campground.

mtbr member
    Do any Moab bike shops have day or night storage for bicycles..for days where you might not be biking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im planning on going on a biking trip to moab some time in the next month and was wondering if anyone one could tell me if the upper part of the whole enchilada (the burro pass section) is ride-able yet. I've rode the porcupine rim sections and want to ride the whole thing this time, but don't want to be riding in a ton of mud. so if anyone knows i would appreciate the help. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This passed weekend it was only running below the hazard trail. Apparently burro pass had opened already but the most recent snowstorm closed it back down. My guess is it should be rideable shortly bc it's already in the upper 80s in town. You can call any of the shuttle companies and they will tell you how far up is rideable as well. Id also recommend riding early bc there isn't much shade on that or most of the other trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We’re planning a west coast motorcycle/mountain bike trip and will be spending a day mountain biking in Moab. We’ll be driving a rented 25’ class C RV with an enclosed 6x12 trailer. I’m real nervous about finding places to parking it.

2 questions

1. Can anyone recommend a camp site near Moab suitable for our rig? Our wives will prefer serenity over keg-stands, so staying "a little down the road" is ok.

2. Haven’t decided on the trail yet, but do the major trail heads support parking an RV & trailer?

Thanks
    Bob

pedlr
    No problem parking a rig that size at any trailhead that I can think of off the top of my head. You'll be fine.
    Same with camping, you'll have no problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks Moabman - look forward to riding in your neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Moab cyclery claims burro pass is closed for the season, does this mean off, off limits, or ride at your own risk? I know we probably can't get a commercial shuttle up there, but we'd like to ride it, even if there's an inch or two of snow on it. anyone been up there in the last week? should we just start at hazard county?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    I rode it on Saturday. Geyser Pass road up near the top had some packed snow, and the steep switchbacks coming down Burro had some snow and mud. I would think as long as there hasn't been another storm, it would only be in better shape now.

This is at Geyser Pass on Saturday, hero dirt in the sun, snow in the shade:
    Moab Trip Planner-img_20141004_120836842small.jpg

pedlr
    coyote shuttle just told me she is running to hazard now, and will decide by tmorrow about the possibility of burro or not. worth a try.

mtbr member
    Great thread - coming to Moab with the some buddies for the first time 10/17 - 10/19. Plan is to do the Whole Enchlada on Saturday 10/18. Hope it is open all the way up to Burro pass! Anyone know the temps up there? Coming from Phoenix where we don't own jackets! haha Was thinking a light jacket and a back up rain jacket would do the job.

pedlr
    burro is 11200 ft. i think.

the weather station nearby at gold basin 10050 feet recorded 55 F high yesterday.

the station on geyser pass road which is at the same altitude as Werner Lake recorded 59 F.

Here's the link you can check for when you get here. Maybe somebody has a link for a station higher up.

MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE
    MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE

There's a handy 2 week summary tab on the left.

There can be a chill wind a blowin up on the pass that makes it seem colder

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You might need more than a light jacket up there, it can get pretty cold especially early morning. Being from PHX (so am I), it might feel even colder to you. And the weather can change in an instant.

The last two years I've had Moab trips in mid-Oct and never got dropped off higher than Koko. If there are no new storms in the next couple weeks, you might be ok but any precipitation in the area will likely fall as snow up top.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guy's, looking forward to the trip

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    How's the weather been up on Burro this week? I'm seriously considering a shotgun trip this weekend from Denver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like there is already snow in places. Anyone have first hand experience riding up there in December? Flying to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving - and was thinking of taking the next week off to head up and ride MOAB for the first time. Living back East - these opportunities are few a far between. Not sure I can handle another year looking at everyone's pictures - But if all the best trails are already snowed over I might think of another place in that area.

Paste eater
    December and January are the coldest. It CAN be warm but it can also be snow covered with zero riding. I would not bank on being able to ride and certainly would not extend a vacation.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guy's, we were able to do the whole enchilada from Burro Pass, such a awesome ride! We also did slick rock, it was a lot harder than expected, we rode from the hotel, so the street climb was a little brutal.

Awesome trails !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Whole Enchilada is primo right now! It was a bit chilly once you got out of the shuttle vans, i didn't bring a jacket or wind breaker and didn't regret it. Once i started peddling it felt great. I'm hoping to get back down there at least one more time before it's done for the season.

Moab Trip Planner-img_6887.jpg
    Moab Trip Planner-img_6884.jpg

SS in CO
    thoughts on riding over New Years? my wife and I are sans-kiddo for the week and we wanted to make it count. will be driving the Jeep out on Thursday and riding 1 day and Jeeping 1 day, then back home on Saturday.

how much snow is there right now?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

Desert Seeker
    Well, right now there is no snow at lower elevations but we had some precipitation recently and there is snow in the mountains. The desert riding will be great as long as we avoid cold/snow at the lower elevations. Precipitation on the 25th in the forecast right now but it is always spotty and hard to predict here.

pedlr

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17