Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Does anyone know which shuttle company offers the latest shuttle on a Sunday on Porcupine Rim (hopefully up to the Kokopeli)? Trying to get a ride with the family in the AM, and seeing what time I have to be back in town.
    Pretty much 8:30 and 10:30 give or take 30minutes across the board. You can give each shuttle a call and see if they have any shuttles booked at different times with open seats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Pretty much 8:30 and 10:30 give or take 30minutes across the board. You can give each shuttle a call and see if they have any shuttles booked at different times with open seats.
    Also, call them. I was able to get a noon shuttle up to LPS last month.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Jwind. Looking at pictures of the campsites they don't appear to be very far from the water, but maybe it's very rocky or vertical or something?

The Deschutes river here in Bend is always pretty darn freezing cold, even in August. I'm reluctant to say that i'm used to it, because i always hate how cold it is, but in any case i'm not spoiled by warm water. I'm sure the Colorado is colder than i'd like to swim in just for the pleasure of it, but i could probably stand a few quick dips just to wash off.

Glad to know about the shower options in town.
    Bend, OR

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Thanks Jwind. Looking at pictures of the campsites they don't appear to be very far from the water, but maybe it's very rocky or vertical or something?

The Deschutes river here in Bend is always pretty darn freezing cold, even in August. I'm reluctant to say that i'm used to it, because i always hate how cold it is, but in any case i'm not spoiled by warm water. I'm sure the Colorado is colder than i'd like to swim in just for the pleasure of it, but i could probably stand a few quick dips just to wash off.

Glad to know about the shower options in town.
    It's not that they are not close, you'll be tromping through the willywacks. It's just that the brush is often thick along the river or the muck is enough to eat your legs. Never showered at the bike shops, but the showers at the aquatic center are very clean and nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Need some help planning a last minute trip to Moab next week. I will be in Colorado for a wedding and will have May 13-17 free. Ive always wanted to ride Moab so this is my chance. Since this was kind of last minute I haven't had a lot of time to research so sorry for all the questions. I will be by myself and would like to ride at least 2 days as well as do some hiking/exploring around Arches and Canyonlands. I am an advanced XC intermediate downhill rider. I will be renting a bike. I know that I would like to ride as much of the Whole Enchilada that's open. Do they run shuttles during the week at this time? Any other recommended trails that I should ride? I figured I would ride SR but I am open to any other suggestions. Also I would like to camp while I am there. Any suggested areas to camp? Ive seen Sandflats mentioned on here but that's it. Finally should I bring flats or clipless shoes? Thanks

mtbr member
    Govt shutdown... Is the Sand Flat Recreation area affected? Would the Slickrock Trail be affected? Campgrounds? Argh. Thanks.

I'm a "she".
    I don't have the answers. All I know was when I tried to access the Canyonland PDF Map that I just looked at two nights ago, all I got was an error "Because of the federal government shutdown, all national parks are closed and National Park Service webpages are not operating. For more information, go to www.doi.gov." Sheesh, they even took the web pages down. Trying to save the power consumption?
    Last edited by mudworm; 10-01-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ Inch by inch, I will get there...
    reports | rides | photos
    (❁◡`❁) Zenning...

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    sand flat, slickrock are open, not closed by shutdown.

mtbr member
    Thanks dude. Phew.

I'm a "she".
    Any idea about Canyonland? It's in my plan to ride White Rim in a Day after Outerbike. Would be bummed if we couldn't get in due to the gubmints shutdown.
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ Inch by inch, I will get there...
    reports | rides | photos
    (❁◡`❁) Zenning...

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    National Park is closed.there are some other long routes in the county that could be put together pretty easily and would be comparable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How high up is TWE accessible these days?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0 View Post
    How high up is TWE accessible these days?
    Our group got the whole thing last Thursday, then it snowed Thurs night & they were only going up to Kokopelli by Fri / Saturday. Hazard may be good to go if they dont get another storm I'm guessing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any updates on TWE?

wretch

Moab Trip Planner

Headed out there this weekend. First question is there a good spot to take the dog swimming?

What's a good non bike activity / hike / check out the scenery after a ride?

Will we need a 4x4 truck? Or will we be fine in our Impreza?

How exposed is ups/lps? My wife and I are competent experienced riders - just wondering if she'll be waking "too much" if we go for TWE or as high up as we can get?

Thanks and can't wait!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm wondering too. How much snow/rain did Moab get out of this last storm system, as we've gotten a decent amount of moisture in Park City, enough so the trails aren't rideable. Definitely hoping to get as high as possible on TWE also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey anyone heading to moab Nov. 23-27th and want to meet up to ride? If so let me know. I haven't ridden much in moab, but rode a bunch in Fruita.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Update on trail conditions for the weekend of the 28th? Is everything snowed in down there?

Mostly interested in Sovereign and Amasa Back.

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    I've been told that amassa and ahab are good. I would call poison spider bike shop, they will have the facts.
    I tried sovereign today, from Willow Springs: unrideable due to mud. By the weekend it will be worse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm planning a Moab trip for the first week of April 2014, will most of the trails be open by that time? I am really hoping to do The Whole Enchilada, but I guess it depends on the weather. Are there any other fast fun downhill trails that I should include on this trip? I don't mind climbing to get there.

Tigers love pepper...
    I don't think the Whole Enchilada is fully open till like June? Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken since I've only done Porcupine down. You might be able to do UPS/LPS down but I doubt you can do the higher stuff in April.

Other stuff you might be interested in, Amassa Back, Captain Ahab, Mag 7 and lots of others. Hit Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and The Skid Map for more reading

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Awesome thanks for that info and link Cobi. I will check out those trails for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Headed to Moab this weekend. I know arriving in Moab late on a Thursday night is not ideal for finding camping, however, that's my only option for this trip. Leaving Denver around 430, figure I will be there by 11. If I want to camp somewhere that I can ride from where would you suggest? I know there is Sand Flats camping and slickrock, what are the chances of finding a spot? What about Kane Creek and Amassa Back? Open to other ideas as well.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    Headed to Moab this weekend. I know arriving in Moab late on a Thursday night is not ideal for finding camping, however, that's my only option for this trip. Leaving Denver around 430, figure I will be there by 11. If I want to camp somewhere that I can ride from where would you suggest? I know there is Sand Flats camping and slickrock, what are the chances of finding a spot? What about Kane Creek and Amassa Back? Open to other ideas as well.
    I wouldn't even mess with Sand Flats, if I were you. There is much better camping along Kane Creek Road before it turns up toward Amasa Back. The camping area is called King's Bottom, right on the Colorado River. If that's full, you could try along the Potash Road, directly across the river (to get there head north out of town, near the entrance to Arches National Park, and watch for the signed turn on the left). If you don't find anything there (you probably will - I've arrived late on Friday on Memorial Day weekend and found spots available down there), head north toward I-70, pick a dirt road to turn off onto, and help yourself. Anything not signed "Private" is pretty much open-use BLM land. Have fun in Moab!

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    I should add that you can ride from any of those camping areas. Along Kane Creek Road you can get to Amasa Back or Moab Rim. From Potash you can get to Poison Spider or the Portal (which I wouldn't recommend climbing, personally). From the BLM land north of town, you would have numerous options.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast