Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab Trip Planner

255K views 1K replies 292 participants last post by  MSU Alum 
#1 ·
This thread is designed to assist the uninitiated in planning a trip to the mecca that is Moab, as well as provide the experienced with a variety of new and different views on old favorites. There is a similar thread over on the Arizona forum that has proven very useful.

Some ground "rules":

-Keep it productive and on-topic. Respectful disagreement only, please.

-Try to word your description for someone who has never been, ever. This is not as easy as it would seem.

-Strive for brevity.

-Beta on trails, link-ups, bike shops, restaurants, camping, etc. Title posts appropriately.

-Demonstrative pictures welcome.

#382 · (Edited)
I don't have the answers. All I know was when I tried to access the Canyonland PDF Map that I just looked at two nights ago, all I got was an error "Because of the federal government shutdown, all national parks are closed and National Park Service webpages are not operating. For more information, go to www.doi.gov." Sheesh, they even took the web pages down. Trying to save the power consumption?

#390 ·
Headed out there this weekend. First question is there a good spot to take the dog swimming?

What's a good non bike activity / hike / check out the scenery after a ride?

Will we need a 4x4 truck? Or will we be fine in our Impreza?

How exposed is ups/lps? My wife and I are competent experienced riders - just wondering if she'll be waking "too much" if we go for TWE or as high up as we can get?

Thanks and can't wait!

#395 ·
I'm planning a Moab trip for the first week of April 2014, will most of the trails be open by that time? I am really hoping to do The Whole Enchilada, but I guess it depends on the weather. Are there any other fast fun downhill trails that I should include on this trip? I don't mind climbing to get there.

#396 ·
I don't think the Whole Enchilada is fully open till like June? Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken since I've only done Porcupine down. You might be able to do UPS/LPS down but I doubt you can do the higher stuff in April.

Other stuff you might be interested in, Amassa Back, Captain Ahab, Mag 7 and lots of others. Hit Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and The Skid Map for more reading

#398 ·
Headed to Moab this weekend. I know arriving in Moab late on a Thursday night is not ideal for finding camping, however, that's my only option for this trip. Leaving Denver around 430, figure I will be there by 11. If I want to camp somewhere that I can ride from where would you suggest? I know there is Sand Flats camping and slickrock, what are the chances of finding a spot? What about Kane Creek and Amassa Back? Open to other ideas as well.

#399 ·
I wouldn't even mess with Sand Flats, if I were you. There is much better camping along Kane Creek Road before it turns up toward Amasa Back. The camping area is called King's Bottom, right on the Colorado River. If that's full, you could try along the Potash Road, directly across the river (to get there head north out of town, near the entrance to Arches National Park, and watch for the signed turn on the left). If you don't find anything there (you probably will - I've arrived late on Friday on Memorial Day weekend and found spots available down there), head north toward I-70, pick a dirt road to turn off onto, and help yourself. Anything not signed "Private" is pretty much open-use BLM land. Have fun in Moab!

#400 ·
I should add that you can ride from any of those camping areas. Along Kane Creek Road you can get to Amasa Back or Moab Rim. From Potash you can get to Poison Spider or the Portal (which I wouldn't recommend climbing, personally). From the BLM land north of town, you would have numerous options.

#403 ·
Thursday night was a zoo, everything on Kane creek was full until the ledge loop B. We stayed there and Friday morning were able to catch someone leaving hunter canyon and got their site. We got lucky, however, everything in the cane creek, sand flats, and some other areas were full all weekend. We had a number of people try and set up tents on our site in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and there was also a group that arrived at 3 am and hiked up near the arch in hunter canyon to poach a site. They were really loud and didn't seem to mind the fact that they woke up the whole campground.

#405 ·
Im planning on going on a biking trip to moab some time in the next month and was wondering if anyone one could tell me if the upper part of the whole enchilada (the burro pass section) is ride-able yet. I've rode the porcupine rim sections and want to ride the whole thing this time, but don't want to be riding in a ton of mud. so if anyone knows i would appreciate the help. thanks!

#406 ·
This passed weekend it was only running below the hazard trail. Apparently burro pass had opened already but the most recent snowstorm closed it back down. My guess is it should be rideable shortly bc it's already in the upper 80s in town. You can call any of the shuttle companies and they will tell you how far up is rideable as well. Id also recommend riding early bc there isn't much shade on that or most of the other trails!

#407 ·
We’re planning a west coast motorcycle/mountain bike trip and will be spending a day mountain biking in Moab. We’ll be driving a rented 25’ class C RV with an enclosed 6x12 trailer. I’m real nervous about finding places to parking it.

2 questions

1. Can anyone recommend a camp site near Moab suitable for our rig? Our wives will prefer serenity over keg-stands, so staying "a little down the road" is ok.

2. Haven’t decided on the trail yet, but do the major trail heads support parking an RV & trailer?

Thanks
Bob