Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does anyone know how much of the Whole Enchilada is snowed in? Ill be out there next week(March 18-22) I want to try to ride at least UPS, LPS and Porcupine. Also, any snow on Amasa Back?

addict
    Amasa back is good to go, lower Captain Ahab is sick, check it out. The whole enchilada is not even close. The only option that may be viable with the warm temps coming up would be porcupine rim proper, but I haven't checked it out myself or heard anything about current conditions. Anyone?
    Ride On!

Paste eater

Moab Trip Planner

Maybe porcupine. Maybe.

Flaccid Member
    An update on current snow conditions or lack thereof? Jwind?
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My wife, son and I are from VT and have just lined up a trip out west for next month so we are looking for some advice on what to so while there. I did a boys trip about 10 years back which was all about hard MTB riding, but this will be different with my wife and son being less experienced riders but pretty active hikers. We have 4 nights lined in Moab so are hoping to make a day trip to Canyon Lands and possibly Capital Reef (I am actually leaning away from this since it looks like a long drive and there is more to see closer to Moab than we will be able to take in anyways). We have a week to work with and will be flying in/out of Denver so suggestions on a route and things to possibly do on the way there and back will be appreciated - I am guessing the high elevations will be pretty well snow / mudded out that time of year but it is a long distance with a lot of different terrain. Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    My wife, son and I are from VT and have just lined up a trip out west for next month so we are looking for some advice on what to so while there. I did a boys trip about 10 years back which was all about hard MTB riding, but this will be different with my wife and son being less experienced riders but pretty active hikers. We have 4 nights lined in Moab so are hoping to make a day trip to Canyon Lands and possibly Capital Reef (I am actually leaning away from this since it looks like a long drive and there is more to see closer to Moab than we will be able to take in anyways). We have a week to work with and will be flying in/out of Denver so suggestions on a route and things to possibly do on the way there and back will be appreciated - I am guessing the high elevations will be pretty well snow / mudded out that time of year but it is a long distance with a lot of different terrain. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Well, you are going to burn most of two days driving between Denver and Moab, so that leaves five days for fun.

Assuming you are driving Denver->Moab during daylight hours, there is a great hike to Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon right on the way. You can follow that with a trip to the Glenwood Hot Springs pool, which is awesome. There are also some really cool caves (commercial) right in Glenwood Springs. Glenwood Springs is almost exactly half way between Denver and Moab.

The Colorado National Monument just outside Grand Junction is a cool place to hike. Also, the Grand Mesa just east of GJ, but that is a huge area that takes a lot of driving. You can also hit the MTB trails in Fruita.

It all depends on what time you get in to Denver. Assuming you are flying, and renting a car, the Denver Airport is a bit of a cluster, and is way NE of the city. Allow 1.5 hours between your landing time and the time you finally hit the highway. It takes 30 minutes to get your bags, then another 30 to get the bus to the rental car agency. Another 30 to get the car, load it and get your bearings, and now you are 4 hours from Glenwood and another 3 from Moab. I would personally set up the first night in Glenwood and go on to Moab the next day.

Also realize that if you plan on returning to Denver on a Sunday, the traffic is generally jacked up on I-70 through the mountains from about 2 PM - 8 PM on Sunday afternoons, and from 4-6PM through Denver on any weekday. Don't try to squeeze your return trip, allow plenty of time. The airport is 20 minutes NE of Denver, and returning a rental can be a cluster during busy periods.

mtbr member
    Airport options to Moab Moab Utah Airport, Flights & Airlines - AllTrips Salt Lake City is closer and easier than Denver for getting to Moab. Grand Junction even better. Several carriers fly into GJ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Re: Moab Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Airport options to Moab Moab Utah Airport, Flights & Airlines - AllTrips Salt Lake City is closer and easier than Denver for getting to Moab. Grand Junction even better. Several carriers fly into GJ.
    definitely do not fly into Denver if you can help it. SLC is WAY better. half the drive time and none of the traffic. GJ is best but probably more expensive

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the replies and I don't want to turn this into a discussion about airlines and logistics but the whole reason this trip is even happening is because we will be in Denver on one of the weekends so that is finished. Under different circumstances I agree that I would try to travel differently but this time this is how it will be happening.
    Thanks again for the advice and please keep the ideas coming!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Suggestions

Just my 2 cents from the time I spent there last year at Outerbike. If your family is not very experienced I would do the "Brand Trails" on day 1, these are just north of town and are out-back type trails (no shuttle). It will allow for some small downhill experiences without exhausting you on the first day. Day 2 I would then do "Mag 7" which will require you to be dropped off by a shuttle service, but they are cheap and plentiful. Mag 7 is a blast as that it is mainly downhill with jumps that can be taken/or avoided if you wish. The only bad part of Mag 7 is the ride back out to the highway which is on a somewhat sandy 2 track (you could arrange for a shuttle just past "Gemini Bridges" if you want to avoid ride out, I heard there is a local guy who will "taxi" you out).

Day 3 I would do Slickrock, if nothing else for bragging rights. I did it on a 29'r and found my center of gravity too high and was unsteady on some steeper downhill runs, next time I would do it on a short travel 26 (again my 2 cents).

Day 4 depending on how your legs feel you could do "The whole enchilada" (if you have energy) or do something like sovereign. I will say if you do Whole Enchilada bring lots of water, several tubes and a repair kits. A break down or group seperation can be deadly as that no help is nearby (sorry dont mean to be dramatic but people have died on this one due to exposure)

I have put a link below that has all the Moab area trails on it. Enjoy

Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

mtbr member
    Given the stated experience level of your family, I think you can skip The Whole Enchilada, or just about any section that makes up that ride! Jackson and Portal would be two more "must not do's".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Going to be doing some camping in Sand Flats starting next Wednesday for the weekend. Weather is looking iffy with the cold front and Wednesday is supposed to be chilly with the rest of the days in mid 60's. Think it will be too chilly at night for those tent camping it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher88 View Post
    Going to be doing some camping in Sand Flats starting next Wednesday for the weekend. Weather is looking iffy with the cold front and Wednesday is supposed to be chilly with the rest of the days in mid 60's. Think it will be too chilly at night for those tent camping it?
    If it's mid 60s it will probably be in the 30s at night, pretty chilly, but totally fine with the right stuff. As long as you have a decent 0-20 degree sleeping bag and wear a decent base layer/socks you'll be comfy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks, may be a little chilly for the others in a tent. Looks like all the other bikers in my group bailed out on this one. Are there a lot of group rides being put together on Porcupine? I'll likely hit Slickrock by myself but Porcupine having never done it before may not be the greatest idea. Looking to ride it this coming Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Captain Ahab is one not to miss. Very fun. If you ride at a good pace, combined with Rockstedder and out Jackson (if the creek is low). Check Moab lbs...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm looking for some more family (i.e. easier) trails for Moab this coming weekend. We were down in Moab two weeks ago for a couple of days, but this time we are there for four days, and I would like to ride four different areas if possible. We rode the Agate and Jasper loops last time, and had a good time, along with the Lazy, EZ and Rusty Spur (did those twice).

So how about Borderline, Cross Canyon and Snippet off of Willow Springs Rd north of town?

How much of a step up is Dino-Flow compared to Agate / Jasper?

Any other trail recommendations for easier trails? I'm looking for singletrack, because even though my kids are young, they know the good stuff.

Thanks - BS

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    So how about Borderline, Cross Canyon and Snippet off of Willow Springs Rd north of town?
    Some of the easiest trail in Moab. Wahoo is a bit harder but still no more than intermediate.

How much of a step up is Dino-Flow compared to Agate / Jasper?
    If you liked Lazy, you should be fine.
    Any other trail recommendations for easier trails? I'm looking for singletrack, because even though my kids are young, they know the good stuff.
    Intrepid up at Dead Horse state park.

mtbr member
    Planning a trip to Moab and Fruita later this year. I can either go Sept.5-12 or Oct. 10-17. I'm thinking Oct. would be better weather for both these locations(especially Moab). So would the Oct. date be better?
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Some of the easiest trail in Moab. Wahoo is a bit harder but still no more than intermediate.

If you liked Lazy, you should be fine.

Intrepid up at Dead Horse state park.
    Thanks for the trail info Jwind. How does Intrepid rate in terms of difficulty compared to Lazy / EZ?

Also I get a couple family-free rides too, and was going to try Ahab for the first time. Can you recommend the best way to get all the good parts of Amasa? I have done Amasa several times, going down Rockstacker to Jackson, but have never done the Jackson loop either. Was thinking of going up Amasa and do the Jackson Hole loop (is it better to do CW or CCW) and then down Ahab , possibly doing an out and back on the spur back to Amasa down (is it worth it?) back down to the the TH.

Also any idea how far the shuttles are going up Porcupine? I did LPS for the first time two weeks ago, and would like to get higher if possible.

Thanks again - BS

Paste eater
    Thanks for the trail info Jwind. How does Intrepid rate in terms of difficulty compared to Lazy / EZ?
    Even easier I'd say.
    Also I get a couple family-free rides too, and was going to try Ahab for the first time. Can you recommend the best way to get all the good parts of Amasa? I have done Amasa several times, going down Rockstacker to Jackson, but have never done the Jackson loop either. Was thinking of going up Amasa and do the Jackson Hole loop (is it better to do CW or CCW) and then down Ahab , possibly doing an out and back on the spur back to Amasa down (is it worth it?) back down to the the TH.
    The Jackson's Hole loop is totally different than Jackson's. It's long and most of it is a dirt road grind with nasty hike-a-bike up Jacob's latter and then down Amasa. If the dirt road thing blow your skirt up, then by all means, but personally I'd save your saddle time for singletrack.

With the addition of Ahab, one can really put together a long ride in the Amasa area. If you want to do it all:

Amasa>Ahab>back up Amasa>Pothole Arch>Rockstacker>Jacksons

Or a figure 8:

Amasa>Pothole>Rockstacker>Ahab

Both are long rides. Especially for the non technically inclined.

Also any idea how far the shuttles are going up Porcupine? I did LPS for the first time two weeks ago, and would like to get higher if possible.
    Currently to the top of Koko.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    Planning a trip to Moab and Fruita later this year. I can either go Sept.5-12 or Oct. 10-17. I'm thinking Oct. would be better weather for both these locations(especially Moab). So would the Oct. date be better?
    Well, early September can still be hot and Burro+ can be snowed in Mid October. Other than that, 6 of 1 1/2 dozen of another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post

The Jackson's Hole loop is totally different than Jackson's. It's long and most of it is a dirt road grind with nasty hike-a-bike up Jacob's latter and then down Amasa. If the dirt road thing blow your skirt up, then by all means, but personally I'd save your saddle time for singletrack.

With the addition of Ahab, one can really put together a long ride in the Amasa area. If you want to do it all:

Amasa>Ahab>back up Amasa>Pothole Arch>Rockstacker>Jacksons

Or a figure 8:

Amasa>Pothole>Rockstacker>Ahab

Currently to the top of Koko.
    Thanks, you saved me from dirt road hell, as Jackson HOle doesn't sound that fun, so I think I'll go for the Figure 8, as I remember Jacksons being kind of a lock up your brakes and steer the skid kind of trail (it's been 7 years since I have ridden it, so maybe it has changed).

Thanks again and really do appreciate the trail info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So I'm heading to Moab in a few days. Will any of the BLM sites along the colorado river on HWY 128 be a good idea? Seems like there's a bunch of em, so i have a good shot at finding an available site. Being alongside the river is nice, i'm assuming it's good for jumping into with a bar of (biodegradable) soap at the end of a hot, sweaty day. I can bring 10 gallons of water for drinking/cooking and they have some sort of toilet in all those campgrounds, right?

I had been thinking i'd want a campground with shower facilities, but if the river is tolerable to jump in, then that will be an acceptable (or even preferable) substitute. Is the water freezing cold snowmelt or has it had sufficient time to warm up coming through the canyons?
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does anyone know which shuttle company offers the latest shuttle on a Sunday on Porcupine Rim (hopefully up to the Kokopeli)? Trying to get a ride with the family in the AM, and seeing what time I have to be back in town.

And regarding water temperatures, I'm not sure about down in Moab, but I have done quite a few kayak / raft trips in Westwater Canyon and Ruby / Horsethief (30-40 miles up river of Moab) this time of the year, and the water wasn't anything that I would want to hang out in. The campgrounds with showers are filling up, and as of 3PM today, the only one that I found that had a Saturday night opening was the KOA. Best of luck.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    So I'm heading to Moab in a few days. Will any of the BLM sites along the colorado river on HWY 128 be a good idea? Seems like there's a bunch of em, so i have a good shot at finding an available site. Being alongside the river is nice, i'm assuming it's good for jumping into with a bar of (biodegradable) soap at the end of a hot, sweaty day. I can bring 10 gallons of water for drinking/cooking and they have some sort of toilet in all those campgrounds, right?

I had been thinking i'd want a campground with shower facilities, but if the river is tolerable to jump in, then that will be an acceptable (or even preferable) substitute. Is the water freezing cold snowmelt or has it had sufficient time to warm up coming through the canyons?
    It's tough getting down to the Colorado in most of the campsites best bet is the boat launches and adjoining 'beaches'. Water is a bit nipply right now but depending on what you are used to it may be tolerable. Better yet, Moab Cyclery and Poison Spider both sell showers as does the aquatic center.

Most of the sites along 128 and Pot Ash are of the pit variety. Same for sand flats.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast