Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys,

Do you think spending 5 days at Moab for thanksgiving is a good idea ?
    Is there snow up there by this time of year ?

I'm desperately looking for a good ride location

Thanks

Paste eater
    At this point any sort of weather will likely cover Burro untill Spring. Quite possible more. Aside from that, it would be pretty unlikely to be skunked around that time of year.
    Last edited by Jwind; 10-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what's the word on Burro Pass now? muddy?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    what's the word on Burro Pass now? muddy?
    More like frozen. Clear and rideable but ice on some of the corners near the top.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Conditions updates

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    More like frozen. Clear and rideable but ice on some of the corners near the top.
    Guy at Poison Spider I just talked to was no bueno on burro... but I like a bit of adventure. Couldn't get more details but he was pretty adamant that LPS was "as high as you can ride" right now.

anyone have any first hand confirmation/ride reports of burro/hazard?

Paste eater
    When I wrote that, Burro was indeed open. System has since passed through. LPS is indeed as high as you can go. Warming trend is coming our way. That being siad, if we see Hazard again this year, i'll be surprised.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    When I wrote that, Burro was indeed open. System has since passed through. LPS is indeed as high as you can go. Warming trend is coming our way. That being siad, if we see Hazard again this year, i'll be surprised.
    I hiked up to Burro Pass on Saturday- snowy, but looked ok. I looped the entire enchilada on Sunday:

Geyser Pass Rd: Snow packed starting around 9,000' - good riding. not too sloppy but that could change if the warm weather continues

Burro Pass Trail: 90% snow- deep just over the pass. 70% rideable. Snow-bound adventure-fest

Hazard: Some snow- but mostly snow-free- nothing deep, tacky dirt- no mud, will only get better till next storm

Once you hit the end of Hazard there's no more snow anywhere.

Get it while you can

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Any current updates on UPS status? Hoping you guys dodged the recent snow storm. I was thinking about riding up Kokopelli and hopefully getting in UPS/LPS PR.

Thanks for the help

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Foote30 View Post
    Any current updates on UPS status? Hoping you guys dodged the recent snow storm. I was thinking about riding up Kokopelli and hopefully getting in UPS/LPS PR.

Thanks for the help
    Nope. Porcupine proper had snow this last weekend. LPS if you are lucky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Bummer. You guys must have had more snow than we got in Colorado. Looks like I will have to find something lower in the valleys to ride, maybe check out that new 7up to Mag 7 loop.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Foote30 View Post
    Bummer. You guys must have had more snow than we got in Colorado. Looks like I will have to find something lower in the valleys to ride, maybe check out that new 7up to Mag 7 loop.
    Haven't been up to the LaSals but it does indeed look like they got a decent dumping this past weekend.

I have not ridden 7up yet. Evidently most of it is double track. Getaway, however, is all singletrack, creates a great loop with arths, getaway and bull run and has been getting rave reviews... Have fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I haven't ridden 7up either. Just learned of it. Write up on UMB.com looks good, plus anyway to avoid the shuttle up 313 will be awesome and should shape up to be a great loop ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    what trails are going to be rideable for this weekend? has most the snow melted?

looking at possibly doing a couple different rides:

1.fisher mesa and 2.top of the world, I know fisher mesa is higher elevation so maybe a no go?

are the classics clear like soverign, slickrock and amassa back?

thanks!!

-d

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    what trails are going to be rideable for this weekend? has most the snow melted?

looking at possibly doing a couple different rides:

1.fisher mesa and 2.top of the world, I know fisher mesa is higher elevation so maybe a no go?

are the classics clear like soverign, slickrock and amassa back?

thanks!!

-d
    Anything in the La Sals is unrideable. Everything else is ridable. Fisher mesa trail head is at like 8500 feet. I'm sure there is at least some snow, if not unridable at higher elvevations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Rode 7UP and Mag 7 yesterday, no snow at all and the trails were good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Porcupine Rim on Sunday-- awesome and tacky.
    Last edited by Mothra; 11-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    If you are hotelling it, and you plan on actually being there across Thanksgiving, you might want to make reservations, as half of Denver now shows up for one last ride before breaking out the skis.
    LMFAO

Dude that's me, old lady and I are here for the weekend from the Denver area!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm going with a class from school to Moab for spring break. Am i crazy to take my SS rigid niner? What am I in for as far as terrain, and what would be more important, suspension or gears?

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstevo View Post
    I'm going with a class from school to Moab for spring break. Am i crazy to take my SS rigid niner? What am I in for as far as terrain, and what would be more important, suspension or gears?
    I think it all depends on where you're going to be riding, and how much riding you'll be doing. I think you'd be just fine on the SS Rigid Niner at the places I rode over Turkey day with my GF. Which were the Dead horse State park and the Bar-M/Moab Brands Trails. Both of those places had very little climbing and would be fine a SS. That's the cool thing about Moab, is there's so many trails that you can find terrain to suit every bike and rider.

If you're going to do The Slick Rock Trail or some technical trails, rent a bike for the day. My GF rented a SantaCruz Superlight 29'r from Moab Cyclery and I believe it was ~$50/day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well I ride a SS niner hardtail, although I do have a REBA up front. I have ridden pretty much every trail I am familiar with in Moab on my bike since it is the only bike I ride and I have always been happy. Truthfully on longer rides all of those slabby rock sections that Moab is so famous for can get a little abusive but heck thats half the fun of riding a rigid right? As far as climbing and such that really depends on what you define is a lot of climbing. Most Moab trails tend to have some climbing although not an insane amount in my opinion at least.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the help. I don't mind climbing, or walking that is. If we plan on doing some crazy slick rock sections I'll probably go with the rental idea. Prices seem fair for decent equipment. I guess it just comes down to trail selection once I get down there. Good to hear at least one other lunatic has ridden a ss in Moab, gives me a better feeling about it.

Paste eater
    People ride them all the time. That being said, I used to ride a whole lot more before I moved here. I totally miss it. There is all sorts of climbing around here to be had, however a lot of the desert stuff is say 1K - 1.5K of climbing on a ~10mile ride with the ex exception of Bar M and Intrepid. I have a 100mm fork on my SS and after a day of riding it, I can't wait to get back on the squish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

26 FS for Slickrock

If you havent been there before you will find that Slick Rock feels steeper that what the pics show. So just my opinion, but I rode a 29 on slickrock and felt I was way to high (center of gravity), I swapped to my friends 26 fs and felt much better, I was able to hit more of the steep rides with confidence.

I did do Whole Enchilada on a 26 and loved it for the first mile or so (steep switchbacks), Then I wanted a 29 as it got rocky and bumpy. Again in my opinion I would do a FS for everything but the Bar M trails which are mainly flat. Again my opinion, If you do WH on a HT it will rattle the crap out of you and you will be exhausted halfway thru.

My favorite trail there was Mag 7, you could build up some good speed and the trail had nice flow. There is a cut-off ride out part that was a leg burner but I would hit Mag 7 before any other trail.

Remember bring lots of tubes (and repair kits) many of these trails have no help anywhere close and a broken bike could mean a 15 mile walk
    Last edited by lpranger467; 12-14-2012 at 05:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Hello all, been thinking of going to Moab the second week of Feb for some riding. I've been there for Easter Jeep Safari with my Jeep in April, however have not been there in Feb.

How's the weather for riding? Too cold? I don't like below 35 or so for l day riding. Thanks!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast