Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @ Mostly Broken:I just came back from Moab today Do EZ/Lazy and North 40 at the Bar M trailhead, which is very well marked right off the main highway north of town. EZ/Lazy is a big loop, fast with very little tech stuff, North 40 is a 4 mile loop. If she feels up to something harder the next day try Mag 7, Get dropped off near Gemini Bridges (start of Bull run). You may want to have a shuttle pick you up at the end of Little Canyon cause otherwise the two-trackroad back to Highway 191 is uphill and pretty sandy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @ Donkey Kong..Bring atleast 100 oz of water for The Whole Enchilada..You can ride it from Burro thru Porcupine Rim and onto single track which goes beside the river..If youre scared of heights at all dont do these trails, much of the time they ride less than 10 feet from cliffs..If you get a shuttle to meet you at "negro bills" parking area your ride will be about 26 miles,,I found that due to elevation it takes about twice as long as I usually take to ride the same distance. PS- Bring lots of spare tubes, I saw one guy get 5 flats and he ran out.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    Do EZ/Lazy and North 40 at the Bar M trailhead, which is very well marked right off the main highway north of town. EZ/Lazy is a big loop, fast with very little tech stuff, North 40 is a 4 mile loop.
    Ez/Lazy loop is 3 miles and like ranger said, is not ver technical at all. I wouldn't recommend North 40 for a novice personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0 View Post
    If I show up next weekend on Saturday afternoon, will most of the good camp sites be gone? Thinking Sand Flats...but never been.

Also, if I get a shuttle to do the Whole Enchilada, is riding back to SF gonna be really tough after the 25 mile beatdown? What's the best way to get back? Would camping on the river be a better option or will it be colder with less sun down that way?

I would look to stay along the river. The Whole Enchilada ends with Porcupine Rim which leads past the river camping. You will want to just drop at this point! Sand Flats after this would be tough! Plus camping along river is nicer/quieter/less dusty etc. $8 you can't go wrong!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks everyone for the help on planning a trip, would poison spider have maps or can I download and print something myself?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Broken View Post
    thanks everyone for the help on planning a trip, would poison spider have maps or can I download and print something myself?

They have free maps for Slickrock and Whole Enchilada. I would also recommend dropping in Uranium Bike Shop and picking up the 4th edition Mountain Bike Guide to Moab. It is on sale for $8 and is a great reference in addition to the free maps from Poison Spider. Trails are extremely well marked though with the exception of a few broken signs.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Broken View Post
    Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs for maps and gpx files
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    @ Donkey Kong..Bring atleast 100 oz of water for The Whole Enchilada..You can ride it from Burro thru Porcupine Rim and onto single track which goes beside the river..If youre scared of heights at all dont do these trails, much of the time they ride less than 10 feet from cliffs..If you get a shuttle to meet you at "negro bills" parking area your ride will be about 26 miles,,I found that due to elevation it takes about twice as long as I usually take to ride the same distance. PS- Bring lots of spare tubes, I saw one guy get 5 flats and he ran out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbbs View Post
    I would look to stay along the river. The Whole Enchilada ends with Porcupine Rim which leads past the river camping. You will want to just drop at this point! Sand Flats after this would be tough! Plus camping along river is nicer/quieter/less dusty etc. $8 you can't go wrong!
    Thanks! Guy from bike shop said there could be some winter weather moving in...hopefully TWE is still rideable.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Any updates on Burro Pass? Is it still good to go? Hopefully this storm that's rolling in tomorrow doesn't get too nasty. My current plan is TWE on Saturday.

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    I can see the peaks from where I am sitting. High clouds, no snow so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm guessing there's no way Burro Pass will be rideable by Saturday with the storm coming. We have a shuttle planned with Poison Spider, but I think we'll be lucky if we get up to UPS/LPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Moabman, We are also planning on riding TWE tomorrow. Keep us posted
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

addict
    Light dusting of snow on the La Sals this morning.
    Ride On!

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    saw some snow up there about dawn, but cant see that high now, can barely see the rim. Been raining since before dawn. heavy at first, moderately at the moment.

mtbr member
    So tomorrow we are looking at Hero Dirt...or a mess.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by GageGillings View Post
    So tomorrow we are looking at Hero Dirt...or a mess.
    I've experienced nothing but hero dirt 24hours after rain here. You'll be fine. Bi-polar weather - monsoon like. La Sals are socked in. Snow wouldn't surprise me. The good news is it's rather mild down in Moab right now.

mtbr member
    Could i get an update on conditions after the storm passes through. I'm looking to come out for a few days at the end of next week, driving from cali so i want to make sure conditions are good.
    Cheers

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Haze View Post
    Could i get an update on conditions after the storm passes through. I'm looking to come out for a few days at the end of next week, driving from cali so i want to make sure conditions are good.
    Cheers
    Still foggy up there. Worst case, you won't be able to ride Burro. Everything else is Primo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    well I talked with my wife about the trails that were suggested and she just chimed in "how about slick rock" I didn't argue so we are doing it tomorrow. the rain was crazy today but we drove through the park and saw tons of water falls all over. my ten year old is coming along for the ride tomorrow as well but we are only doing the slick rock practice loop, we shall see how they feel after that for another ride somewhere else but my wife is pushing to hit goblin valley on the way home so may be a crunch for time.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    It rained off and on today, the lower trails were in good shape. I'll find out tomorrow morning how the upper stuff is. The shuttle driver wasn't sure yet on conditions above LPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Slickrock

I didnt do the practice loop at slickrock (did the 12 mile portion) but from what I understand its no easier (skills needed) than the rest of the trail. That being said,,it is very steep in some places, I personally feel like a 26 felt better than a 29 at SL,,and rent from a place that has a dropper post, you'll love it though,,

mtbr member
    Great Moab Trip. Ended up riding the Entire Whole Enchilada. The car couldn't make it all the way up to Geyser Pass so we pedaled up the road and rode/hiked/carried our bikes to the Top of Burro in 4-6 inches of snow. Burro was covered in snow at the top and Hero dirt down farther. Only place we had to walk was on parts of Kokopelli. It was a fantastic adventure ride. Ended up riding about 35 miles. Snow and 30 degrees on top, sun and 70 at the bottom.

A few Pics are on our facebook page below.
    Last edited by GageGillings; 10-16-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'll be in Moab with la-prego-wife and inlaws next weekend Friday-Sunday. I'd love to tag along on some people's rides and won't slow you down. PM me or email DanOrion at yaho dot com.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We ended up riding laz ez instead of the slick rock practice loop. my 10 yr old had fun and wants a bike now. Looking for a kids 24 inch. to have my kid like mountain biking made the trip even better. now to find a decent deal on a bike for him!

thanks for the help everyone. looking forward to going again

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Will be in Moab 10/19-10/25. Looking to join in on some afternoon rides. Any good ideas on how to connect with riders ??

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast