Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    mtbr member
    Here are my suggestions for you:

Day 1 - Drive to Moab (arrive late afternoon)
    Ride slickrock practice loop. Good PM ride and honestly, the practice loop gives you full feel for the whole slickrock trail, it's just less mileage. I would suggest counter clockwise. Family not riding can walk out on the area leading to the trail and practice loop and have fun there too for a little bit while you ride.

Day 2 - Stay another day in Moab
    AM or PM ride, I would suggest Navajo Rocks trail system. It's scenic, fun, has some challenges but nothing too crazy, and again, family could do a little hiking on the same trail(s) and enjoy it if needed, or they are only a few miles from Dead Horse Point park area so you could be dropped off and they could continue on and pick you up on the way back.
    My suggestion here would be to start at the trailhead nearest where Ramblin meets Big Mesa. Ride Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island. Where Rocky Tops starts you can assess your energy and decide if you take the bailout back to the road or continue for the next two trails to loop back to where you started. These trails are tons of fun!

Day 3 - Drive to Bryce Canyon for the day
    No brainer here, you have people to shuttle you to the top of Thunder Mountain. Fun, flowy downhill with amazing scenery. Most ridden and liked trail near Bryce, and won't take too much time from family.

Day 4 - Drive to Zion for the day
    Lots of options in both Hurricane very near Zion and St George just a short drive away.
    Many love the classic desert feel of the JEM trail system, and if you would have someone to shuttle you to the top, (not that it's truly needed here, but save you some time and get some good flow in), suggest starting up with a loop around more cowbell, down dead ringer to Crypto and JEM proper where you could meet your family. For a little more distance but a little more techincal and climbing as well, you could ride the Hurricane wash area to end at the parking near the hill out of Hurricane.

Day 5 - Drive home
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Here are my suggestions for you:

Day 1 - Drive to Moab (arrive late afternoon)
    Ride slickrock practice loop. Good PM ride and honestly, the practice loop gives you full feel for the whole slickrock trail, it's just less mileage. I would suggest counter clockwise. Family not riding can walk out on the area leading to the trail and practice loop and have fun there too for a little bit while you ride.

Day 2 - Stay another day in Moab
    AM or PM ride, I would suggest Navajo Rocks trail system. It's scenic, fun, has some challenges but nothing too crazy, and again, family could do a little hiking on the same trail(s) and enjoy it if needed, or they are only a few miles from Dead Horse Point park area so you could be dropped off and they could continue on and pick you up on the way back.
    My suggestion here would be to start at the trailhead nearest where Ramblin meets Big Mesa. Ride Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island. Where Rocky Tops starts you can assess your energy and decide if you take the bailout back to the road or continue for the next two trails to loop back to where you started. These trails are tons of fun!

Day 3 - Drive to Bryce Canyon for the day
    No brainer here, you have people to shuttle you to the top of Thunder Mountain. Fun, flowy downhill with amazing scenery. Most ridden and liked trail near Bryce, and won't take too much time from family.

Day 4 - Drive to Zion for the day
    Lots of options in both Hurricane very near Zion and St George just a short drive away.
    Many love the classic desert feel of the JEM trail system, and if you would have someone to shuttle you to the top, (not that it's truly needed here, but save you some time and get some good flow in), suggest starting up with a loop around more cowbell, down dead ringer to Crypto and JEM proper where you could meet your family. For a little more distance but a little more techincal and climbing as well, you could ride the Hurricane wash area to end at the parking near the hill out of Hurricane.

Day 5 - Drive home
    Thank you very much - that is all VERY helpful information. Looking forward to getting out there and riding something other than Colorado Front Range trails.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Any trail updates for the area...?

We are hoping to come down for Memorial day...would love to ride TWE and Captain Ahab...nothing else on the bucket list really - anything we should add, do instead?

6" enduro bike riding is what we are looking for...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was there on Wed/Thurs this past week.

For ME, Amasa Back is one of the best areas to ride in Moab. To do this, make sure you have enough energy to climb another 500', simply continue up Amasa Back then exit via Jackson's, it's rowdy and the vistas are unreal. You will also almost never come across anyone else, which is NOT the case like the way in with all the Razors and 4x4s.

Just know that the Jackson's exit is often sketchy (not dangerous, just risk of getting very wet).

At the bottom of Jackson's there is a creek, when the water is low (Dry season), you'll be able to cross on a makeshift branch bridge. But on Thursday the water completely covered that, and we BARELY got out. There is a 4" wide shelf you have to shimmy across, holding the bike in your left hand and carefully balancing and hugging the wall. But I made it, even with my love handles and gut, so skinny folks should have an easier go of it. :-P

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    TWE still not open, mucho Snow. Hazard down is probably doable. Call a shuttle company to make sure. Everything else is good, just really crowded😳

mtbr member
    How are the bugs in Moab right now? Heading to the White Rim tomorrow.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Shouldn't be a problem at that altitude and dryer environment, worse the closer to the river you get. We camped in the Cedar Mesa area ( Butler Wash) last weekend and I got over 50 bites in ten minutes setting up camp until I could spray myself 😳
    Take repellent and you should be fine.

Formerly of Kent
    Heading down to Moab from Fort Collins on Friday morning. Planning on doing some dispersed camping on BLM or USFS land.

If anyone has any suggestions on general areas that might offer good views, some trees to break up the wind, etc, that would be great. We'd be fine with parking and riding in to any proposed sites.

Otherwise we'll take a look at the many BLM camgrounds on UT313 or 128.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...dsMoabArea.pdf
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Heading down to Moab from Fort Collins on Friday morning. Planning on doing some dispersed camping on BLM or USFS land.

If anyone has any suggestions on general areas that might offer good views, some trees to break up the wind, etc, that would be great. We'd be fine with parking and riding in to any proposed sites.

Good question.

Returned from a week in Moab - it was the best trail riding and the high desert was so cool I want to plan a trip back out, but to camp instead of staying at a hotel.

While my Moab camping research is in its infancy camping at Canyonlands looks good as the views are amazing, and there would be close access to Mag 7. You'd be out in the open however.

Keep on Rockin...
    For the poster riding Memorial Day, How many days of riding?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

If you get here early enough you may be able yo get a spot in close to town. The campgrounds along the river are usually full by Thursday night. Every year this gets worse. There are some nice BLM camping spots out Willow Springs Rd. North of town and they are near the Klonzo trails. There are nice sites out HWY 313 about ten miles at Horsethief Mesa but even these were packed Monday afternoon when I drove by. If you bypass the camgrounds and further out there is dispersed camping.
    Looks to be a windy weekend though and the mesa will get more than the Willow Springs area.

Good luck on your trip

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    For the poster riding Memorial Day, How many days of riding?
    3 days riding.

mtbr member
    Just got back yesterday, for anyone curious there are some gnats but they're not bad. A few bites around my hairline, that's all. Probably the howling wind kept them from landing on me...

mtbr member
    I was camping off 313 and doing our riding up in that area as well all last week. Guess I was lucky, no bites, just LOTS of wind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Good question.

While my Moab camping research is in its infancy camping at Canyonlands looks good as the views are amazing, and there would be close access to Mag 7. You'd be out in the open however.
    FYI, the only camping in Canyonlands NP Island In The Sky section near Mag 7 is on the White Rim Trail, and those sites are booked far, far in advance. There are BLM campgrounds off of Hwy 313 on the way to the Island In The Sky visitor center and on Dubinky Well road that forks off from 313. If you are not in an official campground, you must have a porta-potti or other approved waste container. No digging holes. Dispersed camping is only allowed north of 313 in that area.

You can also try Dead Horse Point State Park, which has 21 campsites, but they are generally reserved in advance, and are RV sites so might not be all that great for tenting.

On a holiday weekend, if you aren't slotted in by Thursday night, you are going to have a very tough time finding a spot.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    FYI, the only camping in Canyonlands NP Island In The Sky section near Mag 7 is on the White Rim Trail, and those sites are booked far, far in advance. There are BLM campgrounds off of Hwy 313 on the way to the Island In The Sky visitor center and on Dubinky Well road that forks off from 313. If you are not in an official campground, you must have a porta-potti or other approved waste container. No digging holes. Dispersed camping is only allowed north of 313 in that area.

You can also try Dead Horse Point State Park, which has 21 campsites, but they are generally reserved in advance, and are RV sites so might not be all that great for tenting.

On a holiday weekend, if you aren't slotted in by Thursday night, you are going to have a very tough time finding a spot.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, first post here. Located in Park City. Pumped to put in some days this summer.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Heading down to Moab in September and the group wants to ride TWE. I was contemplating this for a few years just nervous about the Porcupine Rim part of it - I am intermediate level rider and figure can walk the parts that are hairy but my concern is will I find myself walking more than riding? Watched several videos of it and read up on the trails - seems the 2 hardest parts from reading are Burro Pass and Porc Rim but if I can ride the 401 in Crested Butte, would that be much different than Burro?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Heading down to Moab in September and the group wants to ride TWE. I was contemplating this for a few years just nervous about the Porcupine Rim part of it - I am intermediate level rider and figure can walk the parts that are hairy but my concern is will I find myself walking more than riding? Watched several videos of it and read up on the trails - seems the 2 hardest parts from reading are Burro Pass and Porc Rim but if I can ride the 401 in Crested Butte, would that be much different than Burro?
    FWIW - we are also intermediate riders and did TWE in the spring, so Kokopelli down. On Porc Rim we rode the vast majority of it. There are some techie spots that were beyond our skill range, but had a blast anyway. Note: I'm use to exposure, so didn't notice it too much. My wife who was behind me most of the way said she was nervous and walked a few short sections...

mtbr member
    I would classify myself as an intermediate rider and did TWE from UPS down (or add I call it, the partial enchilada). There was only two spots on Porcupine Rim that I didn't try because of my skill level or exposure. Of the 18 miles we rode, there were really just a couple of spots where I ejected to walk (though plenty I didn't quite clean). One of the best trails I have ridden, partially because I felt like I was able to choose lines that matches and pushed my abilities. I felt like a better rider when I got to the bottom of the trail.

The other trail I would rate as a must do is captain ahab. One of the best techy flow trails I have ever been on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Watched several videos of it and read up on the trails - seems the 2 hardest parts from reading are Burro Pass and Porc Rim but if I can ride the 401 in Crested Butte, would that be much different than Burro?
    Have been waiting for someone who has ridden the 401 to chime in as I have not. Fruita/GJ, Monarch Crest and some Salida trails, yes, but not Crested Butte (yet.....)

So, with that said, and to add to the earlier replies, after riding TWE a couple times and UPS down a few times more, I would absolutely say that the upper section from Burro Pass down to where you begin climbing back up to Warner campground and Hazard is the most demanding, more so than Porcupine single-track (with the exception of one or two short features.)
    As an intermediate, you could ride it, but plan on taking your time and likely walking a few spots through that area. Most of that is very ride able by an intermediate, but there are rooty and rocky drop sections as well as some very steep and tight switchbacks at the top.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Have been waiting for someone who has ridden the 401 to chime in as I have not.
    The 401 trail is really easy. The only danger on it is what you create for yourself with speed. There is one part that a lot of people will dismount for because you will peel your skin off if you do not clear the obstacle, but the rest is all really rideable for lower intermediates unless you have a fear of heights. You aren't really on a steep edge, but you get the impression that you are on a lot of the trail. Still fun as hell and I am a blasphemer and think it is a lot better than Dr. Park.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Yeah the 401 is a real easy trail - if I didn't have to dismount anywhere on that trail it is definitely easy LOL. It is up there a bit - I remember going up Gothic Rd towards Schofield Pass looking up and see the small specks that were riders on the 401 riding along and like whoa I am going to be way up there! LOL. It was great fun and going to hit it again this year.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Going down to moab middle of september. We were there in april and rode Klondike bluff, deadhorse, moab brands, navajo rocks. Thinking of doing the shuttle for gemini bridges and have seen different descriptions of the best routes. My buddy and I are intermediate riders, don't need to have the crap scared out of us by big exposure but would enjoy some scenery as well. Need an honest opinion of the best route down to the highway. Don't plan on doing the last part including portal. Want to come out at moab brands where we will catch the shuttle. Thanks.

Desert Seeker
    You can take Getaway down to Great Escape or you can take Getaway until you see signs for Bull Run and take Bull Run for a more rugged/technical option, but also very scenic. Either way, continue on Great Escape to Little Canyon and go right. Before taking the Gold Bar climb, look for signs to exit to Highway 191. You will take Gemini Bridges Road for 5 miles to the highway and entrance to the Brands trails. Pick up a map of the system at any bike shop - proceeds support trail building efforts.

mtbr member
    If you were comfortable with Navajo Rocks but don't want much harder than that, I'd say Getaway to Arth's Corner and then part of Little Canyon and then switch to the jeep road that exits past Gooney Bird Rock and will take you to the highway, as glesoine suggests. Bull Run's exposure and difficulty scared the crap out of me (I was trail running at the time and thought no way would I do it on a bike), and I thought Great Escape was a little hard, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Don't do Gemini, but what the above posts have said. Start is same as Gemini but go down Mag-7 trails too bottom of cyn. Then take the jeep road past goony Bird and out to Hwy. If you did Navajo rocks then Bull run is fine, maybe 1 or 2 walk spots but not that much exposer. Really we take intermediate riders this way a lot.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I don't think you'll have any problem with Bull Run all the way down Start at hwy 313, ride down Getaway 1.5 miles and cut over to Bull Run, ride that to Great Escape, follow that to the bottom, stay right at the Luttle Canyon intersection and ride to the gully. I would strongly suggest you do an out and back on the Gold Bar climb as it is on slickrock and the downhill makes the uphill worthwhile. Once back in the gully just brave the sand and follow Gemini Bridges rd.out to the Brand trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey guys, the gf and I are headed to Moab for the first time next weekend. We plan on riding TWE sometime towards the end of the first week of September. Most of the shuttles don't drop you off at the trailhead until around 9AM, which feels really late for us. We'd prefer to start our ride around 6-7AM. Has anyone gone up to the trailhead the night before and camped out to get a super early start the next day?

The plan is to camp the night before, ride TWE into town, stay in a hotel, and grab the shuttle the next morning to retrieve our car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm no expert as I've always done the standard shuttle but I think your plan is great. Just remember to stash some clean clothes in town...and don't accidentally leave your money & credit cards in your car at the top.
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We're not the fastest riders so the couple extra hours earlier would hopefully save us from having to ride too long in the midday heat! We're going to be leaving most of our stuff at the hotel the day before so we won't be storing any valuables in the car.

Regarding water... is Warner Lake the last point where we could collect water? We will have some CLO2 tablets to purify the water.

how heavy are you ??
    Is Willow Springs still a open camping. I haven't been in 6ish years.

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 😜
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150 View Post

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 
    Yes, but it fills up very fast. An early arrival is best.

how heavy are you ??

Thanks, any improvements like toilets?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Thanks, any improvements like toilets?

Nope, it's BYOT and please do. The crowding out there is already leading to a shabby area. I pick up trash every time I go out riding that way. 😬

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Nope, it's BYOT and please do. The crowding out there is already leading to a shabby area. I pick up trash every time I go out riding that way. 
    I camped out at the Willow Springs area for the first time last weekend (99% certain I was pretty close to this "Willow Springs Trail three rocks" location on google: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...4d-109.6745396), and there was definitely a permanent pit toilet there (much to my surprise). Nothing else along the main Willow Springs road though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any recent info on trail conditions? Heading out this weekend, and hoping to get as high as possible up Enchilada, and do some rides with the family too. Thanks for any info - BS

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Clear, cooling and snow melted off. Looks good through the weekend.

how heavy are you ??
    Odd question. Any place to charge electronics in Moab where they won't walk?

how heavy are you ??
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Clear, cooling and snow melted off. Looks good through the weekend.
    WhooHoo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just got back from first Moab trip. What a fantastic playground. Hiking, biking, canyoneering......

I was curious about the Goblin Valley/San Rafael Swell area. Very beautiful, but I don't see much biking there. (mostly double track....Temple Mount and Black Dragon Canyon).
    The area seems ripe for some MTB single track.

Is there more there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    check out the "Little Grand Canyon" ride
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurf2xs View Post
    Just got back from first Moab trip. What a fantastic playground. Hiking, biking, canyoneering......

I was curious about the Goblin Valley/San Rafael Swell area. Very beautiful, but I don't see much biking there. (mostly double track....Temple Mount and Black Dragon Canyon).

Is there more there?
    Here's a little info on mountain biking there.

Mountain Biking | Utah State Parks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the map of Goblin....Its on the list for next trip.

Couldn't find anything about "little grand canyon".....is that up by Dead Horse Point?
    (I checked MTBR trails in Utah near Green River, and MTB project)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the map of Goblin....Its on the list for next trip.

Couldn't find anything about "little grand canyon".....is that up by Dead Horse Point?
    (I checked MTBR trails in Utah near Green River, and MTB project)
    no, it's in the Swell area. try UtahMountainBiking.com

look under "the Wedge" in the San Rafael. there's plenty more in the same area
    breezy shade

pedlr
    Do you mean Good Water Rim trail? Ive ridden this, enjoyed it.
    Good Water Rim Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Do you mean Good Water Rim trail? Ive ridden this, enjoyed it.
    Good Water Rim Trail
    yes, the single track "inside" the Wedge route. thanks
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Is there more there?
    Just rode the Wildhorse trail system at Goblin Valley a week ago. Mostly easy trails but great scenery! A very well laid out system of loops. Highly recommend.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112