Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    This space for rent!
    Hey All,

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but planning an 8 day trip out to Moab Sept 2nd to 10th of this year. Here are my assumptions, and questions rolled up into them.

Flying into/out of SLC, renting a vehicle. Any suggestion on a vehicle type? Might have one or two bikes with us. (question below about fly/ship bikes versus rent). Planning on not only riding, but also hiking and some white water rafting.

Bringing girl friend, she's strong road rider on flats, working on hill/MTB skills this summer. She did a full Ironman a couple years ago and hikes/runs a bunch. I'm pretty strong singletrack rider, many years experience, race intermediate class cross country, and do lots of hills on both road and MTB. We're both from South Carolina, and used to 90 degrees, humid climate. Does this time of year we're going rule out any trails for being too hot for us?

Bringing 2 to 3 liter camelbacks, plus 20 oz water bottles. Should this amount of water and time of year allow all trails to be ridden? The most riding we'd be doing in a day is maybe 3 to 4 hours.

We're flying out from South Carolina. I've got a '10 Trek Fuel EX9. She's got a low end hardtail Gary Fisher. My bike should be fine out there, I could scare up a loaner full suspension for her to bring. Now, question is, would I/we be off better renting bikes, or paying to package and ship ours out? I'm figuring over the 8 days there, 5 will be riding, the others rafting or hiking. Is $45/day an average for a decent 5' travel bike out there?

After reading this thread and other reviews, it sounds like Rustic Inn will work for us, thinking the single queen bed option will work for us. The idea of full bath, air conditioning, and a pool is nice. We'll rough it during the day, but nighttime we'd like some restful sleep. Any reason to not stay at this place?

I assume the fun trails to ride are also fun to hike?

What's good to raft out there? An hour drive or so is about as far as we'd want to drive to visit anything.

I read the beer there is pretty bad, low alcohol percentage. The best is from out of state. We'll be eating out most of the time, do we need to look out of state for decent beer to keep in fridge? I love Fat Tire, of course...

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

This space for rent!
    Anyone? Would love a little feedback. It's first trip to Moab. Want it to be perfect.

Thanks - Chuck
    Last edited by ChuckChurch; 05-31-2012 at 08:45 PM.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckChurch View Post
    Hey All,

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but planning an 8 day trip out to Moab Sept 2nd to 10th of this year. Here are my assumptions, and questions rolled up into them.

Flying into/out of SLC, renting a vehicle. Any suggestion on a vehicle type? Might have one or two bikes with us. (question below about fly/ship bikes versus rent). Planning on not only riding, but also hiking and some white water rafting.

Bringing girl friend, she's strong road rider on flats, working on hill/MTB skills this summer. She did a full Ironman a couple years ago and hikes/runs a bunch. I'm pretty strong singletrack rider, many years experience, race intermediate class cross country, and do lots of hills on both road and MTB. We're both from South Carolina, and used to 90 degrees, humid climate. Does this time of year we're going rule out any trails for being too hot for us?

Bringing 2 to 3 liter camelbacks, plus 20 oz water bottles. Should this amount of water and time of year allow all trails to be ridden? The most riding we'd be doing in a day is maybe 3 to 4 hours.

We're flying out from South Carolina. I've got a '10 Trek Fuel EX9. She's got a low end hardtail Gary Fisher. My bike should be fine out there, I could scare up a loaner full suspension for her to bring. Now, question is, would I/we be off better renting bikes, or paying to package and ship ours out? I'm figuring over the 8 days there, 5 will be riding, the others rafting or hiking. Is $45/day an average for a decent 5' travel bike out there?

After reading this thread and other reviews, it sounds like Rustic Inn will work for us, thinking the single queen bed option will work for us. The idea of full bath, air conditioning, and a pool is nice. We'll rough it during the day, but nighttime we'd like some restful sleep. Any reason to not stay at this place?

What's good to raft out there? An hour drive or so is about as far as we'd want to drive to visit anything.

I read the beer there is pretty bad, low alcohol percentage. The best is from out of state. We'll be eating out most of the time, do we need to look out of state for decent beer to keep in fridge? I love Fat Tire, of course...

Thanks in advance,

Chuck
    That's a lot of questions. I can't answer all of them but I can answer a few. For the rental vs ship question, Poison Spider Bike Shop has pretty typical prices for Moab rentals, and some pretty sick bikes. Just google "poison spider bike shop moab" and it will probably be your first hit. You can get a ton of the information you are looking for there.

A typical week in September will probably be a good mix of hot and semi-hot weather. The nights will be really nice or possibly cool. Its a dry heat, so no humidity, but there are no trees and the rocks get really hot so it feels like an oven when it gets hot down there. I have had wonderful rides in September and I have been miserably hot at times. If the forecast is above 85 degrees, I would suggest you get your rides done in the morning and hang out by the river in the later afternoon before the rocks really start to bake. Most of the typical rides vary from short (3-4 miles) to medium length (8-14 miles). All of these can be done with a 2-3 liter camelback. Some longer trails, like The Whole Enchilada or Mag 7 are absolutely epic but you might want to throw an extra bottle of water or two into your camelback. There is no water along the trails once you drop out of the trees on TWE.

Don't assume the bike trails are fun to hike. Slickrock, for example, would be annoying to hike because it just goes all over the place and is designed to be fun for bikes. If you plan to hike, look up hiking trails around Moab for recommendations, not biking trails. You might even restrict your hiking to Arches and/or Canyonlands. There are plenty of excellent trails and you don't have to share them with bikes.

Westwater Canyon is an awesome raft trip, but it takes a full day. That is the shortest trip I know of down there that will get you some good rapids though. However, in September the water will probably be really low and it might not be that exciting. Call ahead. Check with the Moab Adventure Center (google it) for lots and lots of options.

I can't tell you anything about the beer. I'm a Mormon. I don't know what's good and what's not. I think there are certain places/brands that offer normal alcohol content, but you have to get it at bars (you can't buy it in stores). I might be wrong on that. Good luck!

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rpalmer View Post
    I can't tell you anything about the beer. I'm a Mormon. I don't know what's good and what's not. I think there are certain places/brands that offer normal alcohol content, but you have to get it at bars (you can't buy it in stores). I might be wrong on that. Good luck!
    There is a state run liquor store in town where you can get full strength beer, wine, and liquor. The beer is not sold cold, and are priced by the single. Gets a little pricey, but is available. If you have an opportunity to "import", it may not be a bad idea
    Ride On!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckChurch View Post
    Flying into/out of SLC, renting a vehicle. Any suggestion on a vehicle type? Might have one or two bikes with us.
    Well, it's getting really freaking expensive to ship and fly with bikes. I'd expect to spend at least 100clams each way for each bike. So you can figure it out from there. Keep in mind, Moab is particularly brutal on bikes. And personally, a week around here on a HT sounds awful to me. Again, your call there.

Bringing girl friend, she's strong road rider on flats, working on hill/MTB skills this summer. She did a full Ironman a couple years ago and hikes/runs a bunch. I'm pretty strong singletrack rider, many years experience, race intermediate class cross country, and do lots of hills on both road and MTB.
    I lived in Northern New England for a long while and also actually lived in SC for one year. I found the riding down there far, far less technical then both of the former and a whole lot less climbing. When we lived in SC we regularly rode 20 miles in a couple hours. Aside form the shuttle runs and the Bar M, you could easily find yourself on a 10 mile ride that takes 2-3 hours.

We're both from South Carolina, and used to 90 degrees, humid climate. Does this time of year we're going rule out any trails for being too hot for us?
    The dry heat does help to a point. But the big problem is there is no shade. As in pretty much zero, unless you are in the La Sals wich are quite difficult to navigate with the exception of the flagship enchilada.

No way I could personally survice without a 3liter pack. My fiance regularly drinks hers AND a large nalgene even when it's not terribly hot. She's a bit of an oddity, but we both drink far more h20 even around the house.

Seems like rentals are anywhere 45-70$ a day. You can rent a SC nickel for just over 200 bucks for the week from Moab Cyclery wich is hard to beat IMO. Or if you're a weight weenie, I suspect the same would be true for the superlight or whatever it is now..

I really know nothing about hotels.

I like the hike up Moab rim. Relatively short and you get a great view of Moab from up top. Other then that, I'd spend my hiking time in Arches personally.

No idea, though i'm sure any of the local outfits can help you out.

I read the beer there is pretty bad, low alcohol percentage. The best is from out of state. We'll be eating out most of the time, do we need to look out of state for decent beer to keep in fridge? I love Fat Tire, of course..
    There is a long list of totally bizarre alcohol laws unique to UT. Don't try to understand them or why they exist. If you are coming here to drink, you are supremley confused .

The cliff notes, that will indeed help you:
    -If it comes out of a tap, it's 3.2 beer
    -If you buy it anywhere other then the state liquor store, it's 3.2 - with one exception.
    -Restaurants will sell "high point" or something-a-rather in a bottle - which is not 3.2 beer.
    -No cold beer at the liquor store, plan accordingly
    -You buy by the bottle.
    -Yes, that's all they have.

And finally, in terms of "good beer", that's certainly a preference situation, but there really isn't a whole lot I care for around here. The local brewery is fine. Nothing there really does it for me and that's kind of the story for the limited selection of UT beers. That beings said, I was overwhelmed with the selection in SC either. Only beer I really cared for there was Sweetwater IPA out of GA - but I digress.

You can score CA and CO beer at the liquor store and if you're up near Fruita, you can get a whole lot more. I actually don't like fat tire, anything belgium or overly yeasty. If you like hops, grab some dales pale in a can or ska's Modus Hoperandi - Yum.
    [/QUOTE]

This space for rent!
    Thanks guys. That's all good info!!

Chuck

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Great thread, read through it, great info!

I already posted this on the Vacations & Destinations forums, didnt really know the regional forums existed lol

Basic questions are: What would you ride if this was the first time visiting Moab, and plan on being only 5 days there??? "Must ride trails" sort of thing...

Say one ride a day stuff, up to 30km a day should be ok considering were going to have a whole week of riding every day (visiting the grand junction as well).

Where's the cheapest place to stay?? we are going on a serious budget as all 3 of us are buying bikes for our trips to the states I'd like to consider every option. Hotels would be nice but we can camp if we have to. If so, what camping gear would we need to bring?? aside from a tent and the basic stuff off course.

Here's my post just in case you can post here or there if you like...

Moab, Grand Junction & Fruita, "absolute must" trails? tips??

Thank you so much in advance!
    Last edited by Luigiugueto; 06-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Moab

Bike: 140mm+ travel
    Lodging: Under the stars
    Eats: Good Food
    Must Ride: Porcupine

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    Hey guys,

Great thread, read through it, great info!

I already posted this on the Vacations & Destinations forums, didnt really know the regional forums existed lol

Basic questions are: What would you ride if this was the first time visiting Moab, and plan on being only 5 days there??? "Must ride trails" sort of thing...

Say one ride a day stuff, up to 30km a day should be ok considering were going to have a whole week of riding every day (visiting the grand junction as well).

Where's the cheapest place to stay?? we are going on a serious budget as all 3 of us are buying bikes for our trips to the states I'd like to consider every option. Hotels would be nice but we can camp if we have to. If so, what camping gear would we need to bring?? aside from a tent and the basic stuff off course.

Here's my post just in case you can post here or there if you like...

Moab, Grand Junction & Fruita, "absolute must" trails? tips??

Thank you so much in advance!
    As far as camping goes...

-Sandflats is popular and close to town.
    -There are commercial type places in town. Just google.
    -Up 128, out Potash there is all sorts of BLM camping along the Colorado.

Depending on when you arrive and how busy the weekend is, sandflats fills fast. Then eventually you'll find yourself going further and further out 128/potash.

If you want free and private, drive N of town on 191 15-20 miles are turn right on Dalton wells or willow springs. There is a whole bunch of designated dispersed camping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nevermind
    Last edited by Cbnoracer; 07-23-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: read it wrong

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    the cabins are the way to go for economic trips especially if you have a few friends going with you. They are like $50 and sleep 3-4

mtbr member
    Sorry If I'm not seeing it, and I'm working on reading all 11 pages here,,,,

but is there a link to the various trails at moab somewhere? with ratings of difficulty? I may be going in october with my wife who is intermediate rider (not into exposure or big drops)

neither of us have been and wondering if there are trails she will enjoy as well...

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    Sorry If I'm not seeing it, and I'm working on reading all 11 pages here,,,,

but is there a link to the various trails at moab somewhere? with ratings of difficulty? I may be going in october with my wife who is intermediate rider (not into exposure or big drops)

neither of us have been and wondering if there are trails she will enjoy as well...
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs. Navigate to the Moab section of the website and you will have more information that you can handle.

Gotta check out the Slickrock Trail, of course. There is a nice 1-mile practice loop there that your wife could try out, and if she can handle that then you could take her on the whole 13-mile loop. Sovereign is a fun ride with limited exposure and not-too-crazy drops and stuff. That should get you started.

Paste eater
    Best bet for beginners is the Brand trails. Easy to get to, never too far from the car, well marked and some of the easiest terrain in the area. Klondike Bluff and the Intrepid trails are great too.

Slickrock can be tough and certainly a workout. The practice loop is more like 2miles and the main loop is 10.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Best bet for beginners is the Brand trails. Easy to get to, never too far from the car, well marked and some of the easiest terrain in the area. Klondike Bluff and the Intrepid trails are great too.

Slickrock can be tough and certainly a workout. The practice loop is more like 2miles and the main loop is 10.
    My Cateye rang in 13.2 miles last time I rode Slickrock, but that included the Practice Loop and Main Loop together. The full loop is a good workout, for sure, so if you go up that way make sure you are comfortable on the practice loop before attempting the main loop.

Agreed that the Brand Trails are easiest. I just don't really like them very much, personally. Klondike is a decent beginner's ride, good amount of slickrock and fun downhill return for any skill level.

mtbr member
    thnaks guys. Im sure she will be fine on slickrock. she can do 15-20 miles and she can walk anyhting really technical appreciate the help!

Paste eater
    The big thing with SR is the ups are real steep. If you stall out 1/2 way, you are in a world of hurt and walking up these pitches can be almost as dangerous. So there's that.

There is a whole mess of new trails from the last 12months or so and the Brand Trails and the Klondike Bluff area have gotten the lions share of these. Dino Flow, Jaspers loop and another trail at the bottom of the bluff (name escapes me) are all super tame. Even the new UFO trail and Megasteps are squarely intermediate trails and are a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi all. First trip to Moab planned for 10/20 this fall. Need a good list of beginner trails for my wife and if you were to do a 1 day guided tour any guide or trail recommendations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    Hi all. First trip to Moab planned for 10/20 this fall. Need a good list of beginner trails for my wife and if you were to do a 1 day guided tour any guide or trail recommendations.
    Check out the intrepid trail system near canyonlands. Really nice easy loops. Few rocks and little elevation change, but pretty views. Also, go to utahmountainbiking.com, select trails, by region, moab...check out the brand trails (lazy EZ, north 40) After you guys are comfortable with that, do konldike bluffs trail and sovereign. Then there is the slickrock practice loop for a short ride and you can see if you want to do slickrock.
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Ok, so we got back from our Utah trip. It was way beyond anything we expected, in every aspect. It was harder, rockier, more technical and way more spectacular than we thought.

From what I learned, here's a few tips:

1) High volume tires, at least 2.35. Run tubeless if you have the chance, if not bring 2 tubes per person on a riding group. Pinch flats were ridiculously common.

2) Extra water, when we were there it was super hot (high 90's, the highest was 102 degrees). We were used to it (sort of) but one 70oz camelbak was just enough for me on a 16-17 mile ride, my buddies both had 100oz packs that lasted same as mine. We ran out of water approx 1hr before finishing the whole enchilada ride and ended up arriving into town BADLY dehydrated, we couldve gotten into serious trouble. So bring extra water.

We did 4 days of riding in Moab, we did Slickrock, The Whole Enchilada, Amasa Back and the Klondike Bluffs. All were amazing rides.

We camped by the Colorado river on a BLM campsite, had a table and a grill, and had primitive outhouses. Since we were planning to camp by the river we bought river-safe biodegradable soap and we took our baths there. The river was also appreciated when the day got the hottest!

Other than that, with the info gathered here you can easily plan a great trip to Moab!

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    WARNING NOTICE!!! MOST SIGNS GONE ON WHOLE ENCHILADA TRAIL SYSTEM ARE GONE!!! ....BURRO...gone, UPS -LPS... gone, NOTCH-SNOTCH....gone, PORCUPINE JCT...gone!!!

This dastardly deed of vandalism will mislead a lot of people until we can get to the trail course to put up some new signs, which of course takes time and money. Please tell your friends, clients or anyone you know who plans to ride this area for the first time about the problem.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone done the one day 84 mile white rim tour from Magpie in Moab ? Thinking about doing that trip and will mostly be riding alone so a tour would be fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    okay I have a chance to convert my wife to mountain biking this next weekend, I promised her I would never ride alone and we will be in moab this next weekend so that leaves her to ride with me. she had a bad fall once on a date with an idiot who didn't check her bike for her and the wheel fell off, she broke ribs. since I married her 14 years ago she has never gone with me.

In a nut shell I need a trail that will fit her nervous riding habits and still be fun. I figure a 4 to 5 mile for starters will be best as she has never been on a bike that long before. I have a nice soft ladies saddle she can throw on my second Jekyll so soft seat and full suspension should make it nice for her.

any help is great, I have hiked in moab but never been able to ride so I don't know the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If I show up next weekend on Saturday afternoon, will most of the good camp sites be gone? Thinking Sand Flats...but never been.

Also, if I get a shuttle to do the Whole Enchilada, is riding back to SF gonna be really tough after the 25 mile beatdown? What's the best way to get back? Would camping on the river be a better option or will it be colder with less sun down that way?

Paste eater
    Re: easy trail fro nervous wife...

I present you with two ver good options for smiles. Intrepid trails up at dead horse state park. Or ride EZ>Rusty Spur at the Brand Trails.

Re: Sandflats after Enchilada...

Plan on 30 miles. THe ride back to town isn't really that bad at all. The ride up to Sand flats, while not terrible with fresh legs is not going to be super exciting after a long day in the saddle. In the end, it really depends on your groups fitness and speed. I saw a few groups the other weekend that took 4.5 hours to get to the TOP of Porcupine. Told them should should bail down Sandflats as it was already 4:30. It gets dark now around 7:15.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast