Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'll be out to ride kokopelli next week. I'm having a difficult time finding a spot to drop my car in Moab though. If anyone has a space then I'll gladly provide beer. Also, I'll pay gas and beer for anyone that can give me a ride from Moab to Fruita on Friday morning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You might also try the Moab Classifieds on Facebook > https://www.facebook.com/groups/moabclassifieds/, or add a PSA to KZMU - Moab Community Radio 90.1 FM and 106.7 FM - Home Page too. Good Luck!
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi there,
    I am planning a trip to Moab for the week of 9/26-10/4. My riding level is intermediate/advanced. This thread has been very helpful to get a really good idea of what the place and riding looks like. I just found out that the Outerbike festival is happening on my second weekend so I will consider it.
    I will be driving from Baja, Mex taking two driving days each way from my week, leaving riding from Sunday afternoon to Friday maybe Saturday. I would prefer to camp.
    So far what I have is:
    Camp at Sand Flats and ride Slick Rock (one day) and the Whole Enchilada (one day).

This would be my first time there so any info and recommendations will be very appreciated on what trails not to miss, camping or lodging options, etc.
    Thanks before hand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Whole Enchilada is tough. If you ride tough, check out amasa Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. and camp BLM Campgrounds surrounding Moab, Utah Kane Creek. However, my favorite is Highway 313, Cowboy Camp for tents, otherwise Horsethief Campground, which puts you in place to ride the Intrepid Trails in Dead Horse Point State Park, Everything in the Gemini Bridges area (so much single track! Horsethief Is new now) and close to the Navajo Rocks.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    one thing I don't think is mentioned is that you have to understand that "trail ratings" are like ski trail difficulty, they are local to the area. And Moab trails are an order of magnitude more difficult than many folks from out of the area are expecting.

I did TWE on Sunday, and it was not an easy ride by any means. I personally didn't care for Porcupine Rim Double Track, but you have to endure that to get the single track reward at the end.

The views are amazing, but I think there is better riding elsewhere in Moab, but that's my opinion. Amasa Back is top drawer though, no question.

mtbr member
    I went to Moab fot the first time last October, In my opinion TWE is a must do, but I dont think I would do slickrock again. They have a 2-3 mile test loop if you just want to check it out. After a couple of miles it is all the same petrifed dunes. I would hit up what some of the other suggested. Amasa back, captain ahab etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ecaos View Post
    Hi there,
    I am planning a trip to Moab for the week of 9/26-10/4. My riding level is intermediate/advanced. This thread has been very helpful to get a really good idea of what the place and riding looks like. I just found out that the Outerbike festival is happening on my second weekend so I will consider it.
    I will be driving from Baja, Mex taking two driving days each way from my week, leaving riding from Sunday afternoon to Friday maybe Saturday. I would prefer to camp.
    So far what I have is:
    Camp at Sand Flats and ride Slick Rock (one day) and the Whole Enchilada (one day).

This would be my first time there so any info and recommendations will be very appreciated on what trails not to miss, camping or lodging options, etc.
    Thanks before hand.

mtbr member
    I go to Moab every October and camp at Sands Flat. Bring your own water and be prepared to do trips for ice and firewood. Hopefully you won't have to deal with noisy neighbors (my experience has been hit or miss). I always ride the Slickrock trail (it's right down the road after all) and Porcupine Rim (as a loop from/to Sands Flat with a last little stinger of a paved climb at the end to get back to the camp site). Amasa Back is a fantastic trail, Poison Spider is kind of a one and done ride (too much sand), and the Portal trail is an experience you'll never forget whether you ride some or none of it (it is extremely dangerous and actually strongly discouraged by the BLM to ride some sections). Moab Rim is a grunt but pretty rewarding once you're on the Mesa.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you all for your valuable input, I'm taking notes.
    Hopefully I'll find other bikers in Moab to go ride with and have a couple of post-ride beers.
    Last edited by ecaos; 08-26-2015 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone know how my wife and I can get a shuttle to Hazard Sept 16 in the AM rather than Burro Pass?

mtbr member
    Pretty sure you won't have an option... The shuttles take you as far up on TWE as they can. You might be able to pay extra to have them drop you somewhere else, or maybe you could find a local willing to help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Pretty sure you won't have an option... The shuttles take you as far up on TWE as they can. You might be able to pay extra to have them drop you somewhere else, or maybe you could find a local willing to help.
    Any idea on how to find a local to help?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How do people get help if injured bad enough on TWE that they can't ride out? SPOT?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    The shuttles do not only go up Geyser Rd. for the TWE shuttle, there are a variety of rides throughout the area that they will drive you on. Just call one of the shuttle companies and I'm sure they will accommodate you. Hazard is past the Geyser Rd. turnoff so you might have to endure a longer shuttle ride if they are taking others into the mountains but that would be the worst of it. They have a minimum number of riders to justify a trip so you will probably have to share.
    There is sporadic reception at best in the mountains. Don't count on a cell phone for rescue. SPOT would be more reliable. Mainly bring water, lots! I have heard from several people how they have had to offer up their water because people are bailing off the trail dehydrated , that said, things are cooling down a bit now.
    If you haven't ridden out here before you might try some stuff closer to town to get used to the trail conditions, altitude and temps.

Have a good trip

Tigers love pepper...
    Is Moonlight Meadows the main shuttle drop off point if you plan to do Burro?

Village Dirtbag
    My GF and I will be showing up around midnight Friday night. Any hopes of finding a spot at sand flat? If not, where do you recommend? I don't mind unimproved, but somewhere I can meet other riders is preferred.

Nat
    mtbr member
    How far out does one need to book a shuttle for TWE this time of year? Plan on riding it 9/14/15.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    How far out does one need to book a shuttle for TWE this time of year? Plan on riding it 9/14/15.
    Just call up any of the shuttles and reserve a spot.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's been a few years since my last fall visit (i.e. when Burro is an option), but all the major shuttle companies offered both. Those drop-offs are on different roads and the Hazard shuttle is considerably shorter than Burro. And starting from Hazard is plenty for a lot of riders.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I called both Coyote and Whole Ench. yesterday. Both still had spots for Sat the 12th. Can't imagine a monday is going to be super busy.

Village Dirtbag
    No camping suggestions?

Also, I'm on a Tallboy LT with XT clip less pedals. I have some platform pedals that I've never used. No protective gear except an XC helmet. Should I just leave my normal pedals on and walk the drops, or do you recommend platforms and some running shoes or chuck Taylor's. How many people clip in on whole enchilada and Slickrock trails?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Just call up any of the shuttles and reserve a spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I called both Coyote and Whole Ench. yesterday. Both still had spots for Sat the 12th. Can't imagine a monday is going to be super busy.
    I called Whole Enchilada a couple of weeks ago and then again this morning but got their voicemail and I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll give them a couple more days then will call someone else if I haven't heard back. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    No camping suggestions?

Also, I'm on a Tallboy LT with XT clip less pedals. I have some platform pedals that I've never used. No protective gear except an XC helmet. Should I just leave my normal pedals on and walk the drops, or do you recommend platforms and some running shoes or chuck Taylor's. How many people clip in on whole enchilada and Slickrock trails?
    Ride what you ride, I don't recommend changing pedals of you are comfortable in clippless. I live in Arkansas and ride the same pedals as you. I rode the whole enchilada on them and it was great.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm not from UT and am just a tourist on this forum but I've ridden in Moab dozens of times.

I'd use the pedals and shoes you're used to (unless they're plastic-soled road shoes). I wouldn't want to be learning how to use platforms on a trip like this.

beater
    ^agreed
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpwsafety View Post
    Anyone know how my wife and I can get a shuttle to Hazard Sept 16 in the AM rather than Burro Pass?
    You could talk to the shuttle driver/company to see if they could drop you at hazard on the way back down after dropping everyone else off up at Burro pass.

Tigers love pepper...
    Where is the shuttle dropoff for Burro? Moonlight Meadows?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Porcupine Shuttle out of poison spider is running direct to Hazard sept. 16 at 8:30am per request. Apparently others had interest in that as well.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Are the aspens up in the La Sals turning yet?

Tigers love pepper...
    Planning to do TWE Saturday. Planning to bring the usual stuff: chain link, hanger, tools, tube(s), pump & co2, tire boot, lots of water, map, etc....

How long does it take to ride into town from the end of Porc? Considering leaving our vehicle there and riding into town to start in the am instead of when it's hot and we're tired later. We'd need to be to Rim Cyclery before 7:30.

Any additional advice is welcome. Doesn't look like rain is in the forecast, but bring long sleeves for the high country?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Planning to do TWE Saturday. Planning to bring the usual stuff: chain link, hanger, tools, tube(s), pump & co2, tire boot, lots of water, map, etc....

How long does it take to ride into town from the end of Porc? Considering leaving our vehicle there and riding into town to start in the am instead of when it's hot and we're tired later. We'd need to be to Rim Cyclery before 7:30.

Any additional advice is welcome. Doesn't look like rain is in the forecast, but bring long sleeves for the high country?
    If it were me, I would give myself around 1/2 hour or more to get to town from the end of the trail. You can also park at Lions Park, which makes for a good central drop off location.

I rode the Whole Enchilada last Friday and the temperature was perfect. The sky was overcast so the sun wasn't beating down on me. At Burro Pass the temperature was still pretty close to Moab so I didn't need to layer at all. However, the temps seem cooler since then so I'd still double check.

When I first drove into Moab the sky was threatening rain and while driving up to Burro Pass rain was falling on the shuttle windshield and you could see puddles from a previous rainstorm. Luckily that was all the rain I saw, but every time I have gone before that I have been rained on, so plan accordingly.

Even though I had a mechanical I am still trying to figure how soon I can get back to ride the trail. The Burro descent and the last section by the river are the type of trails you dream about.

In response to the other question, if the leaves were changing colors it wasn't that noticeable.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks for the advice. We ended up not dropping a truck at the end of Porc despite having plenty of time to do so...... For some reason nobody liked my idea. Oh well, 2 guys rode back and got the truck, the other two of us hung out in the shade and waited. I think it was 98 or so when we finished at 2PM?

Great trail. Favorites were definitely Burro & UPS/LPS. Man, that thing beats you up on the last half (Porc down) my hands & arms etc were feeling it for sure! Been a few years since I rode Porc..... you forget how rocky that is over time I think.

No mechanicals, just a leaky Camelbak that had 1 guy out of water by the time we summited Burro! But we had enough between the rest of us to get him down.

FYI, Aspens aren't really turning yet. Maybe a few here and there but hard to notice when concentrating on the trail anyway.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm in Moab right now. We rode TWE yesterday and it was epic (not hipster-epic but genuinely epic). We got a little cold drizzle to start the day and ended with hot and muggy. We also ran across a mama bear with two cubs on the climb up Burro pass. Somehow we ended up in between one cub and mama, so it was a little sketchy. Seven riders grouped up and passed through banking on safety in numbers. The aspens are starting to turn. I think in about two weeks they'll be at their most golden. Awesome ride!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I am moving from Texas to Idaho next week, and the route I am taking will take me through Moab on Wednesday the 11th. Since it will be Veterans Day and I am a Navy veteran, would someone in the area be nice enough to possibly give me an afternoon tour of Slickrock? I will pay your way into the park!
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Desert Seeker
    I'd probably be up for showing you around the Slickrock Trail if the timing works out. Shoot me a PM.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    I'd probably be up for showing you around the Slickrock Trail if the timing works out. Shoot me a PM.
    I apologize, I ended up leaving a few days too late and rolled through there on Friday. I do appreciate it though.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey guys! My buddy and I are thinking about heading over to Moab for a day or two for the Thanksgiving weekend. Was curious about which trails were open / trail conditions. Would love to get some recommendations for a ~25 mile ride. Would be open to shuttle (if they are still running). Thanks!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Several of the bike shops are closing for the holiday, The independent shuttles like Coyote may be operating but you'd have to give them a call. TWE is closed till the snow melts , UPS down will have snow on the upper part and North facing slopes. I would plan on riding areas such as Klondike or Mag 7 where you can weave your own loops. 25 miles is doable at either or the Navajo Rocks loop is about 17 miles and you could combine it with something else in that area.
    Enjoy, weather looks to be great

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Update on the trail conditions down there? How are Amasa and Mag 7 specifically?

Desert Seeker
    Amasa and Mag 7 are dry and good to go. Actually, that would go for other trail systems as well with the exception of the La Sals. Not sure how high up before you'd hit mud/snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Amasa and Mag 7 are dry and good to go. Actually, that would go for other trail systems as well with the exception of the La Sals. Not sure how high up before you'd hit mud/snow.
    Thanks buddy! would love to hit TWE but figured up top had snow. LPS and Porc rim still good to go I assume?

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks... Was hoping to hit Mag 7 Sunday possibly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi there, thanks all of you for the advise given. Here is a quick trip report on my vacation:
    After asking and looking for info about which trails to ride on our first trip to Moab, I decided to just get there and play it by ear, see what other riders where doing and what they recommended, which worked pretty well. For this, I think her name is Nancy, a blond girl from Chilli Pepper bikes, was pretty helpful and spot on on the trail beta. On 9/26, we crossed the border and started our drive at Calexico, Ca., we split the drive in two, camping at the Grand Canyon on our way north. Arrived to Moab at night the next day and set up camp for the whole week at Sand Flats. The only thing set was that we rode Slick Rock on our first day. There we found quite an international variety of riders: Switzerland, Canada, Peru and us from Mexico. We bumped into some of those riders in other trails later in the week. The second day we did Amasa and Captain Ahab, a little bit over our skill level, we just had to get off of our bikes at some spots and continue riding. On Wednesday we rode at the Ramblin and Big Mesa area. On Thursday we got on the Coyote shuttle to Burro Pass for the TWE and on Friday we went to the Moab Brands area, the Outerbike was going on that day there.
    We set off south on Saturday morning, stopped to camp at Sedona. It was a pretty awesome trip, great riding, awesome rider atmosphere and pretty chill town. Definitely would come back for more.

Keep on Rockin...

Grand Junction to Moab. Best way?

What is the best way to get to Moab from Grand Junction? Is there a bus or some type of shuttle? Cost?

Coming to Moab this April/May.

Will be flying from the NE to Grand Junction as I assume that's the best route.

I'll stay about a week, but don't want to rent a vehicle as others I know will be there. Will need to get back to GJ at the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know of a shuttle bus from GJ to Moab there could be a commercial one though. When you get to Moab and GJ for that matter you will need transportation to get to the trails. The trails are out aways sometimes 15 miles from town so figure that in.

Thin Man on a Fat bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Guide to mountain biking Moab

Guide to mountain biking Moab via Park City Mountain Biking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab Trip Planner-moab-mag-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Two oldish guys going to Moab in couple weeks. Never been before. I suck at google. Could someone just give me the best intermediate trails in the area for about a day and half of riding. Thanks in advance.

Desert Seeker
    Klondike area, Navajo Rocks and The Moab Brands Trails are three solid choices. Another option to consider is a shuttle ride to the top of Mag 7 and bike out the bottom of Gemini Bridges Rd for an intermediate, pedal-ly downhill day (well, half day). Pick up cheap maps at Chile Pepper Bikes. Proceeds support local trail building.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Our family is taking a trip to finally see all the great sites in we can in Utah in a short amount of time.

Being an avid mountain biker at 48 years old Im hoping to get in some time on the bike but not take away too much time from the family site seeing wed like to do.

Im hoping to bike in the morning or afternoon/evening either before we go out somewhere together or after we have done our site seeing. In addition my son (not as experienced mountain biking but 18 years old and in good shape) would like to bike once or twice with me on easier trails.

Our plan is this:
    Day 1 - Drive to Moab (arrive late afternoon)
    Day 2 - Stay another day in Moab
    Day 3 - Drive to Bryce Canyon for the day
    Day 4 - Drive to Zion for the day
    Day 5 - Drive home

Never being to these areas I will definitely do some research on trails, sites, etc. but was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions both for trails to do in a short amount of time and (if possible) matching time activities for the rest of the family to do while Im gone.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like to ride Big Chief at Dead Horse pt. state park when there are mixed abilities and you want great scenery. Some of the easiest trails in the area. Again, very scenic ride.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast