Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Paste eater

mtbr member
    We were down there last weekend and rode Mag 7 to Blue dot and down the Portal. (a technical treat if you like adventure) They were shuttling the Whole Enchilada to the top of Kokopelli. Beyond that is still snowbound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A question for the locals/regulars. We just booked our memorial day trip. we got 2 1/2 days riding planned. Room is booked, rental bikes reserved. Now my question is for shuttle service, and especially to the mag 7 trail. Is a shuttle required we will have a car with a rack, but is the mag 7 a loop or a point to point trail. We are planning to also ride the whole enchilada from Hazard down thinking that is all that will be open. and I understand that is a shuttle service.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^^ Deffo get a shuttle for the mag 7 if you want to do the whole thing. Ours was $20.00 from coyote shuttles and they will let you drop your car off closer to the trail head instead of riding back into town..
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    ^^ Deffo get a shuttle for the mag 7 if you want to do the whole thing. Ours was $20.00 from coyote shuttles and they will let you drop your car off closer to the trail head instead of riding back into town..
    Thanks

Paste eater
    Are you planning on riding the whole thing over to Portal or out Gemini?

If it's the latter, you *can* drive in (or ride in) Gemini and then do an out and back. The catch here is I can't with good conscious recommend doing it on a weekend with as much DH traffic I've seen lately. Even the week days have been busy lately!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Kind of an odd question, I live in the midwest so all we have is crosscountry mtb basically. I have never ridden in the terrain of Moab. My question is pedals? Now I have ridden clipless for about 17 years, do most ride platforms or clipless. I will be renting a bike, while I am totally confident in my abilities with clipless pedals, just wonderig what the norm is considering the conditions and trail types, this will be my first real Mt Biking experience, we are trail riders here int he midwest

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post
    Kind of an odd question, I live in the midwest so all we have is crosscountry mtb basically. I have never ridden in the terrain of Moab. My question is pedals? Now I have ridden clipless for about 17 years, do most ride platforms or clipless. I will be renting a bike, while I am totally confident in my abilities with clipless pedals, just wonderig what the norm is considering the conditions and trail types, this will be my first real Mt Biking experience, we are trail riders here int he midwest
    If you're comfortable using clipless, use clipless. Learning to ride flats in Moab would not be fun.. On really rocky trails, you will not worry about your feet as much as you would using flats.
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    If you're comfortable using clipless, use clipless. Learning to ride flats in Moab would not be fun.. On really rocky trails, you will not worry about your feet as much as you would using flats.
    I mostly agree, although I often alternate between clipless and flats depending on the trail and I've never had trouble getting used to flats again after going clipless for a long stretch. Getting used to clipless on the other hand...

I pretty much always ride clipless in Moab though. My Dad, on the other hand (in his 50s), usually uses his flats. The riding in Moab varies from very mellow, flat, easy stuff to crazy stuff meant only for the insane. I feel more comfortable knowing my feet are going to stay on the pedals, while my Dad feel more comfortable being able to put a foot out to steady himself if he needs to. I recommend keeping your clipless pedals on your bike and riding a medium intensity trail like Sovereign or Klondike Bluffs and see how you do. If you have doubts, bring along some flats and a pedal wrench and swap them out before your next ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Tech question: air pressure changes?

Coming from FL to Moab - shipping the bike ground. Should I pull the air from the fork/shock and recharge up there? Since it's a pressurized system how much, if any, effect will local elevation have on my normal settings?

Paste eater
    Your fork will be stiffer . I take the air out for more room and to protect the stanchions.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?f4cnuv

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Coming from FL to Moab - shipping the bike ground. Should I pull the air from the fork/shock and recharge up there? Since it's a pressurized system how much, if any, effect will local elevation have on my normal settings?
    Don't worry about it even a little.

On that topic though - once you are in Moab you might try adjusting a bit. I usually run 2-3psi higher in my suspension in Moab simply because it is a lot rougher there than my local trails. It's nice down there on the ledges to have a little higher ride with less dive.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks - hadn't considered that. Letting out air will allow for a more compact package. As a 29er, I'm already having to ship wheels/tires separately - not even close to fitting in the bike box.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ok we need 1 more trail suggestion for our trip

Memorial Day weekend, Friday we are riding Hazard county down, then Saturday Mag 7. We need something for Sunday's ride. Another not to be missed trail for a couple of midwestern flatlanders. We have a car with a rack, or shuttle if we need to.

Thanks in advance.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008

Memorial Day weekend, Friday we are riding Hazard county down, then Saturday Mag 7. We need something for Sunday's ride. Another not to be missed trail for a couple of midwestern flatlanders. We have a car with a rack, or shuttle if we need to.

Thanks in advance.
    Unless you guys are really tough you will be pretty tired at this point, so I wouldn't push it too hard with this ride. The Slickrock Trail is a classic and not exactly easy, but nothing compared to the dramatic climb up to Gold Bar Rim on Mag 7. I would also have a plan to deal with the heat. Coming from the midwest you might not mind the dry heat, but it looks like temps might get into the 90s (that is the 10-day trend right now). There isn't a lot of shade down in Moab and the rocks like to bake. Hit the trails in the morning though and chill out in the later afternoon and you should be fine.

mtbr member

Thanks in advance.
    A few suggestions:
    1- Amassa Back - Sweet technical 5ish mile climb with various Down hill options; Out-n-back, Rockstacker 9Super Tech) or Jackson's. We usually do it as an out-n-back or jacksons.
    2- EKG - Newly formed Sweet Trail linked to the Klondike bluffs area. Shortish ride: Dino flow out, link to EKG, then down EKG to the trailhead.
    3- Sovereign Singletrack - Little climbing- sweet singletrack. up to 15ish miles.

Check out utah moutain biking. com it has a lot of great information, look at the Trail section under Moab.
    To Escape the Heat;
    Two places are great; Mill Canyon swimming hole (15-20 minute hike) to a water fall and swimming hole. Professor Creek (9-10 ish mile hike) a semi-slot canyon hike through a small creek that ends in a waterfall. Both are fantastic.
    You can find directions on the blog "adventures in Utah" under Moab directions.

Whatever you do, You're in Moab. You can't go wrong.

Sorry about the links, I haven't posted enough to put them in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the help, yes tiredness and the heat are all things we are considering. But this maybe a once in a lifetime trip for us, so I don't want to say Dam we should of hit that if you know what I mean. We will be riding at a casual pace and stopping to enjoy the surroundings and what not. Thanks again for the suggestions and the next week cannot go by quick enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I would say Amasa Back or Klondike/EKG. But if you haven't done Slickrock I would do that instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ok this maybe a stupid question, but never being out in that area of the country and being from the midwest. Are there any specific things to be aware of the moab trails, ie. snakes, and what not. Not that I am afraid or anything just was wondering if there was some things to keep an eye for and such.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Heading up there tonight. Have reservations for a shuttle at 7:30am tomorrow morning for the whole enchilada. Beyond excited. Going to be there sunday too, thinking about riding porc rim then hitting fruita on our way home.

Anyone else going to be out there riding this weekend?

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NJTransplant View Post
    Heading up there tonight. Have reservations for a shuttle at 7:30am tomorrow morning for the whole enchilada. Beyond excited. Going to be there sunday too, thinking about riding porc rim then hitting fruita on our way home.

Anyone else going to be out there riding this weekend?
    Dress warm -- its gonna be cold at 11,000 feet. I guess Burro must be open now, then? I'm headed down there next month.

You'll ride Porcupine Rim as part of TWE. If I were you I'd plan to ride something else on Sunday. Do Slickrock or Amasa Back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpalmer View Post
    Dress warm -- its gonna be cold at 11,000 feet. I guess Burro must be open now, then? I'm headed down there next month.

You'll ride Porcupine Rim as part of TWE. If I were you I'd plan to ride something else on Sunday. Do Slickrock or Amasa Back.
    I just called Chile Pepper a couple days ago and asked about TWE...they said Burro Pass doesn't open to shuttles until July 1st, so I'm guessing he's only going as high as Hazard, which is open now. I'm probably going to leave TWE for early fall and stick to lower altitudes when I go out there next weekend.

I'll second Amasa Back - that was a blast when I rode it last fall, and Slickrock is really cool too if you're looking for something wildly different from the front range.

mtbr member
    Yea we're just going up to Hazard. I would have loved to wait to go the entire way but since i'm going to be out there I wanted to get in what I could.

I didn't realize rim was part of TWE. Sounds like Amasa Back is the way to go then since i rode slickrock last year.

mtbr member

TWE in October and sandflats road

I did a quick search in this forum but I have a few questions. A friend and I are planning a mid-October trip.

We are looking to camp on sandflats with a small pop up camper-what are the rates and are there spaces for that size of camper or are they just tent sites?
    Any recommendations for a place to get a shower?

We really want to hit the whole enchilada-how will the weather be holding up way up there?
    Will also hit slickrock and Mag-7 but I can't see those having any issues other than the unpredictable rain storms.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    just returned from a quick memorial day weekend in Moab. coming from the midwest, you guys/girls are lucky to have such awesome trails. I was impressed with everything about the town, from the food to the bike shops and general atmosphere of the town. our first day we rode hazard down and wow what a fun day. I think it took us about 5.5 hours and it was very windy all weekend. We stopped for a few breaks and lots of pics, the ride back to town sucked though... On day 2 we rode amasa back cliffhanger, another 60+ mph winds and blowing sand everywhere. it was a very tough climb up, but the ride downhill was worth it. On sunday we did the practice loop of slickrock park, just to say we did it, and then shot over to the brand trails and rode the north 40 trail which was a very fun nice flow trail, wanted to continue on but had to get bikes back and prepare for the 19 hour ride back home.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast