Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Tigers love pepper...
    March 24th we were kicking around doing Koko/UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. I think I've got that right.... (starting at La Sal Loop Road)

I know anything can happen, even though it's been a dry year. But is it generally dry that high in late March?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Heading to Moab the weekend of March 21-22nd. We plan on tent camping so primitive is fine. How hard will it be to find an open site at blm campgrounds will it be if we show up Friday afternoon? Also any campground recommendations? No showers, etc are fine. Thanks!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    March 24th we were kicking around doing Koko/UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. I think I've got that right.... (starting at La Sal Loop Road)

I know anything can happen, even though it's been a dry year. But is it generally dry that high in late March?
    Not generally no.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross View Post
    Heading to Moab the weekend of March 21-22nd. We plan on tent camping so primitive is fine. How hard will it be to find an open site at blm campgrounds will it be if we show up Friday afternoon? Also any campground recommendations? No showers, etc are fine. Thanks!
    Sort of the start of the season do depends on weather really. You'll find something - just depends on how far out you'll need to go. Kane Creek, potash and 128 for BLM camping. You'll find spots that range from 10 min to an hour from town.

Another option is out Dalton Wells. Plenty of dispersed camping and you'll be close to the Klonzo Network of trails if that's your bag.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Not generally no.
    Thanks Justin. If you had to guess, what's the highest that's generally possible in late March?

Paste eater
    Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.
    Thanks, guess we'll look at other options.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything below the loop road is dry already except for patches of snow in shaded areas. Unless we get some significant snowfall, which is possible this weekend apparently, I would guess March would be dry. I think you're safe planning for Koko down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross View Post
    Someone from Moab might know more but Park Creek campground is the one I booked for March. Free showers and only $20 a night. Also if anyone in your group is military you can get the first 3 days free. So for my 4 nights it cost me 23$ total.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, I was considering a mtb trip to Moab next weekend (Feb 27-Mar 1), but it looks like there's been some snow recently, and snow/rain is in the forecast for Feb 28. How are the trails looking? Is there a website/forum where people post current trail conditions for Moab?

I don't mind riding in the wet/snowy/cold, but if there's enough snow accumulation that things are getting unrideable, I'd probably reschedule. I'm hoping to ride Capt Ahab and similar stuff, but plan to adapt based on conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I was just there yesterday and today, and trails were dry. We didn't do any of the higher elevation rides, but Amasa Back and Poison Spider were in perfect shape. We left as the storm was rolling in, but if the accumulation was low, the trails should still be good.

mtbr member
    How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

Thanks for any assistance!

Perpetual n00b

Moab Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

http://www.alltravelcams.com/moab_ut...in_the_sky.php
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post

Most of the snow is melted off already, still residual above say 6000 feet but we are supposed to get several more systems over the next week. I think you will be fine planning for any ride below the loop road, may still have snow in the shadows but nothing unrideable.

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any trail condition updates durning this weekend would be great. Slick rock ? Amasa ? Lps?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99 View Post
    Any trail condition updates durning this weekend would be great. Slick rock ? Amasa ? Lps?
    They were all clear today. UPS has snow but is rideable, that being said, we have snow forecast for the morning

mtbr member
    How the Thaw as events go? Gonna be out there next weekend and realized that was going on.

Desert Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    How the Thaw as events go? Gonna be out there next weekend and realized that was going on.
    Its a good time. Check it out if you can. The schedule of events is here: Event Schedule For The Moab Thaw Bike Event In Moab, UT

Resident Gear Head
    I'll be in Moab the 20th-22nd. My research shows that the whole enchilada will probably not be doable in its entirety. Sounds like shuttles will probably only drop off at UPS? Sound accurate?
    Any advice on a fun and fairly short trail to ride on our last day of the trip before the drive home?
    Last edited by provin1327; 03-03-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Tigers love pepper...
    Didn't see a trail conditions sticky........ Coming over this weekend from GJ. Wanted to hit Navajo and maybe Klondike Saturday, then Hymasa/Ahab Sunday am. Any concerns with any of those trail conditions?

Desert Seeker
    Should be a great weekend and excellent conditions (was just on Ahab yesterday). Poison Spider Spring Thaw event Saturday/Sunday at the Brands trails. There is also a running/biking race event at N Klondike on Saturday.

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm assuming even if the event is at North Klondkie it may be best to stay away from the regular Klondike stuff as well?

Desert Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I'm assuming even if the event is at North Klondkie it may be best to stay away from the regular Klondike stuff as well?
    I'm not entirely clear on the route. Here is an article: Racers to converge on duathlon, trail run - Moab Sun News: Get Out & Go
    I would think that the regular jeep route and hike out to the Bluffs would be fine, but I'm not sure what single-track routes will be affected.

Tigers love pepper...
    Found the route:
    Moab Trip Planner-duathlon-spring-run-course-map-2015.jpg

Tigers love pepper...
    Well, due to an RV fire closing 191 Saturday AM just past Klondike North, we ended up heading there despite the race going on. We parked in the far North lot and went up Homer/Alaska, and then went over and headed down Baby Steps North. We must have been late enough in the AM for most of the race to be done, because we didn't pass a single racer.

Checked out Rocky Tops and Ramblin' at Navajo in the afternoon and even did a quick lap on LazyEZ in the evening after the Thaw event closed down. Then had Hymasa/Ahab all to ourselves Sunday AM.

Look forward to checking out Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island at Navajo. Pretty fun stuff. Not to mention need to ride the rest of Klondike and Klonzo.... Thanks for sharing, you guys are getting a ton of trails built!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Navajo Rocks is flowing

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YOGhMxZjOd...0/PA220007.JPG

Glad you covered so much terrain!
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Coming out to Moab May 22d for a few days. I don't know a thing about the trails. Could someone just give me a list of good intermediate trails I could ride, preferrably close to town. I can look them up if I have a list. Not too keen on anything with a LOT of exposure, you know, I'm old. Thanks.

Desert Seeker
    Close to town you have the Slickrock Trail and the Amasa Back area. Trails at Amasa Back are pretty advanced with the exception of the Hymasa singletrack. Pipe Dream is close and is probably considered tough, intermediate. Probably worth your while to head up to North Klondike which has a large network of singletrack trails or the newish Navajo Rocks trails. The Moab Brands trails should be thrown in there as well. Here is a link for detailed descriptions: Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the information.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone know how high the commercial companies are shuttling TWE? Coming to Moab April 5th and want to start forming our itinerary. TIA

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Google Chile Pepper bikes, Poison Spider bikes and Coyote Shuttle, those are the three main shuttles so that should give you an idea. I'm guessing they are going to the top of UPS/ Kokopelli at the loop Rd.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    shuttles are presently going to bottom of koko (ups down). koko down might be happening by the 5th, it's been pretty warm and things are drying out quick up high. hazard is still covered in snow.

Desert Seeker
    As of yesterday (3/29), shuttles were going up to Kokopelli.

Warrior of Weekends
    Hey all, not sure if this is the right thread but I will be riding solo in Moab 4/17 & 4/18 (and maybe 4/19) and am looking for someone to ride with.

I've never been, but was considering the typical must-do's, probably Slickrock on 4/17 and Porcupine Rim 4/18.

I will be doing some OR (White Rim trail) with a buddy in the days prior, and he is going to shuttle me to Porcupine on 4/18 if anyone wants a ride.

Open to other trails as well (Amasa Back, Bartlett Wash, Ahab, etc)

I'll be coming from the Front Range. PM me if you want to ride!
    2015 Yeti SB5c

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi folks, I'm wondering if the new Jimmy Keen section is open now (between Hazard County and UPS, as an alternate to the Kokopelli section) ?

pedlr
    yep, open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    Does anyone know how high the commercial companies are shuttling TWE? Coming to Moab April 5th and want to start forming our itinerary. TIA
    I'm pretty sure that the shuttle companies start TWE on June 1. But, if you call, you can confirm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a reservation set for April 2nd. You will want to give Bryan with Porcupine Shuttle a call. He can be reached at 435-260-0896 and will set up the reservation time.
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Heading to Grand Jct at the end of next week where my 13 YO son just bought a bike and then on to Moab for the week with him and my wife. From the sounds of it the winter has been pretty dry so everything we are looking for should be open. Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    Hi folks, I'm wondering if the new Jimmy Keen section is open now (between Hazard County and UPS, as an alternate to the Kokopelli section) ?
    It's open, but signage and trailwork is not quite complete.
    It's easy to miss the bottom section of singletrack and turn right on 2 track to connect with Koko just above UPS instead of connecting with the final section of Jimmy Keen.

Jimmy Keen is XC pedally with a fair amount of very easy/casual uphill. It takes you to some great vistas. It is not in the same spirit/speed as Hazard and Koko.

I'll be skipping Jimmy Keen as part of Burro/Hazard/TWE. Why kill all the speed of Hazard and Koko?

Koko is way faster and I think far more fun with opportunity for lots of cheap air.

However, Jimmy Keen makes for a good loop when just combined with Hazard or UPS. Use Koko and Sand flats as the connector if you want to pedal a loop when temps down below are too hot.

mtbr member
    planning a visit may 22nd and 23rd if any other rides going down. My wife knows my tendencies and "suggested" I better not be out flying reckless through the desert alone.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi ctchopper!

I'm coming to Moab on May 10 for a few days.
    I Booked at Rim tours for Porcupine, but up untill now it seems that I'm the only rider for that ride.

Can I book Brians Porcupine Shuttle and ride this trail along with other riders?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any word on how the conditions in Moab have fared over the past couple of days? We are in Fruita today and were planning to hang here for a couple of days before heading to Moab but might mixup our plans if the riding is better in UT over the next couple of days.

Desert Seeker
    Moab received a soaking rain yesterday. It is misty and cloudy this morning. Supposed to clear up later and Sunday looks sunny. Best riding areas right now would be Slickrock, Pipe Dream, the Amasa Back area and I guess Mag 7. There will be standing water and wet sand of course. Definitely avoid the Klondike area with its clay. Some of the Brands Trails are subject to rutting. The new Navajo Rocks would probably be good. Porc double track would be good but I'd give the singletrack a day to dry out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hello. I'm going to participate in the Moab Enduro Cup at Klondike Bluffs on 9 May. Any guidance on the best place to camp nearby? Ive looked at the map and it looks like the Devils Backbone campsite would be quite a ways from the event from a driving perspective. Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be in Moab next week for 3 1/2 days and wanted to see what you guys think of this for a ride plan.

Day 1: HyMasa/Capt Ahab
    Day 2: Whole Enchilada (not sure how high up we will be able to start this time of year)
    Day 3: Mag 7 to Portal
    Day 4: ?? We will only have the first half of the day to ride, any ideas? Did slick rock last year, and Klondike, both great rides but looking for something new.

Desert Seeker
    If you are winding down, Navajo Rocks is a good area. Basically, two loops to choose from - do one or both. If you are feeling like something more aggressive, you could do Hymasa/Jeep Road to Roackstacker/Jacksons or skip Jacksons and do Ahab again. A third option would be to go out to Bartlett Wash and play around on the slickrock.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't aware of Navajo Rocks. Bartlett Wash looks like a nice way to end the trip as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    See the maps for Moab's trails on Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.. You will find Navajo Rocks there and the most up to date for the Klondikes and KLONZO. print and bring along or buy each network of trails from a moab bike shop for $2-$3. That money goes to the Moab Trail Mix, the group building our trails. New trails in Gemini too, but discovermoab doesn't have those up yet, waiting for the Trail Mix to provide trail descriptions for Wildcat, Mustang and Hildago. in Dead Horse Point another loop of trail opened November 2014 too.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast