Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    gdv
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So it's fairly easy to find trailheads? Are most trails well marked/signed? Ie. what is the out-of-towner likely to get lost factor?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gdv View Post
    Planning my first trip to Moab and need some advice. My girlfriend and I will be passing through for a few days at the end of May and want to do some riding. We will have a rental car and the bikes will be at home unfortunately. What should we be looking into:

Should we rent bikes, buy a trail map and explore on our own?
    Look into combined rentals & shuttle service?
    Guided trips/rides?

We're fit and ride often, but are probably not looking for 8 hour plus all day rides.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Renting bikes is a good idea. I've only rented and taken shuttle services from Moab Cyclery. Good guys and decent prices and bikes. My wheel blew up the last time I was out there and they were renting C'dale Rize 3's. The price was $45 a day. They also had some premium rentals, I think SC Nomads for $65. As far as buying a map and exploring, I would suggest picking trails before you get there as there are soooo many options. Slickrock is closest to town and is fun, unique and full of photo ops, 2 hours or less of riding. Porcupine rocks, and can be done in 3 hours or less, with the shuttle, but this is a world class downhill trail and it's not like anything you have back home, wherever home is. Bring your A game. It's 99% rideable, you just need to know when to get off and walk down something. If the upper portion from Hazard County or UPS is running try that option as it adds miles, scenery and is not much more difficult. Do some research on other trails and pick out ones that sound interesting to you. Sovereign is good, but definitely figure out what sections you plan to ride. Gemini bridges, the ride is not amazing as it's mostly fireroad, but the payoff of riding over bridges is cool.

Check this link for trails and maps: Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by gdv View Post
    So it's fairly easy to find trailheads? Are most trails well marked/signed? Ie. what is the out-of-towner likely to get lost factor?
    It really varies widely. Places like Slickrock, Brand trails, intrepid pipedream it's impossible to get lost. Ok, nothing is impossible, but if you are een remotely familiar with maps or trails systems, these are all real well marked and really don't venture to far.

Places like Klondike area, Sovereign, Porcupine rim and extras are all marked well, but leave a little more room for confusion. Amasa is similar but some of the extra stuff can get a little confusing for someone not familiar with the area. Even the Mag 7 to Gemini has seen great improvements with sinage.

As far as getting lost. Be smart. Carry a map and when in doubt, backtrack. THere really endless info one these forums about trail recommendations, route finding.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerider2 View Post
    Gemini bridges, the ride is not amazing as it's mostly fireroad, but the payoff of riding over bridges is cool.]
    A portion of the Mag 7 trails are in the same area, cross the gemini road numerous times, and would be highly recommended. There are a variety routes that you can shuttle, loop, or turn into an all day epic. Unfortunately the actual gemini bridges are now closed to bike traffic, but is a short hike from the parking area if you want to do some sightseeing
    Ride On!

gdv
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So are there many trails that can be ridden to from town? We will have a rental car, but I'm having trouble finding a rental company in SLC that will provide a rack.

Desert Seeker
    Personally, I'd swap the car for a van and take the middle seats out. That's worked for my buddy and me whenever we have flown into SLC. It would be a bit of a drag without a vehicle unless you are willing to pony up for shuttle service. Slickrock, Pipe Dream & Moab Rim are pretty convenient from town. Amasa Back is less so and Poison Spider even less so yet. Brands Trails, Sovereign, Klondike & Mag 7 from Highway 191 are all a long uphill ride on the rec path from town. Traditional Porc Rim loop is about a 30 mile loop from town, including 10 miles of steady up hill on Sand Flats Rd. Hope this helps with your planning!

Paste eater
    Moab actually isn't' a great ride-from-town destination. You'll get a whole lot more out of it if you have wheels to get you to the trail heads.

I know some of the shops rent racks!

mtbr member
    my wife and I spent 3 days in Moab during this past september as on of the stops on our cross country trip. We rented bikes and a rack(for a '11 outback) from Poision Spyder. Spent a day riding the Moab Brands trail area and had a blast! This is a place I will come back to!

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for new trails in the area; our school (Idaho State University) takes a trip down to Moab every spring break; we rock climb and mountain bike, with the trails that we ride typically being: klondike bluffs, amasa back, slick rock and porcupine rim. We try to encourage all of our participants to have previous mountain biking experience, but the experience range usually varies. Are there any new trails that we should be aware of before coming down that are exciting and should be ridden? Any info would be great; we're all super excited to be coming down again (especially those of us that aren't really skiers and like to mountain bike more).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any updates on trail conditions on UPS, Porcupine? Does anyone know if the trail off the back side of Amasa back to the river is passable? (Not sure of the name) Anybody been down the Portal lately? Any other new trails to try beside gold bar, sovereign, poison Spider that you would be willing to share. :') THANKS.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This is also a great guide to riding in Moab and it will fit in your camelback!

5th EDITION PROMO - ridermel

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm heading to Moab in a week I have the fourth edition of that book. Did the fifth edition change much? I know there are a lot of new trails and I'm hoping to ride them (Mag 7, Pipe ?). Are they in this edition Eric?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the 3rd or 4th edition myself and the Mag 7 complex is not in there. I would assume that it is in the new 5th edition, but am not certain on that one. I would e-mail Mel from his site to ask him

-E

gdv
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Aside from this:

5th EDITION PROMO - ridermel
    and this
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

Are there any other good resources for picking trails and planning rides for the first-timer that people would recommend?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    MAG 7 is in the 5th edition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This may have been mentioned already, but if you are camping for more than a few days there are showers at the (fairly) new rec center. It costs $3 for unlimited time and the locker rooms are clean. There aren't any soap dispensers, so you need to bring your own. Also, the rec center is pretty nice, especially the pools (indoor and outdoor).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just got back, rec center is great for showers! Lost the urge to be dirty for long periods a while back
    Also, there is free filtered water at Gearheads in the middle of town- we used them quite a bit and bought a few things to say "thanks".
    As of 4/5/12 we were able to get up to the top of UPS with the shuttle, could be even better now.
    Also, were there during Jeep Safari, and I think it added to the experience. Not overcrowded in my opinion, just more fun stuff to do! Man, I love Moab!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Florida / Moab exchange rate

Alright, so I'm an intermediate weekend rider in Florida (87' above sea level) who has decided to make Moab my 1st real MTB trip with a couple of friends, 1 of sim experience, 1 with years more road and off-road riding and fitness. None of us have ridden big stuff, up or down. The trip is May 14-19 and planes and vans and stuff are booked. We are all completely stoked about the trip, and I want to try to make it a winner, since it was my crazy idea.
    Obviously the elevation of 4000-10,000' is going to be interesting. And I don't like heights. More than a dislike, actually - more like a 'curl into the fetal position and freeze' and 'my palms sweat when looking at some of the trail pics on the edge of a 5000' chasm' sort of reaction. Yeah, Moab might have been overshooting it a bit. Oh, and rider #3 has booked a shuttle to the Whole Enchilada for our last day of riding, for which Rider Mel practically ensures my demise from a crash, actual or imagined.
    Florida obviously doesn't have mountains - trails tend to be flat and tight, with some surprisingly rocky and tech stuff from phosphate digging. 20-30' is about the limit of ledge drop.
    So, getting to the title: there is going to be a 'riding rate of exchange' from Florida to Moab, and I want to do whatever I can to have the correct currency. Thinking about guides, or at least skills clinics or something for the fist day or two to acclimate to the area a bit. Suggestions there?
    I was liking the looks (on paper) of Rider Mel's 'North Beaver Mesa to Onion Creek' - a decent day ride, mostly mellow downs with limited exposure. Thoughts on this ride and suggestions for something similar? I know myself well enough to know the Enchilada is a freakin' pipe dream and maybe I'll be jet boating that day instead, and this trip is about RIDING trails, not WALKING them.
    Oh, and my buddies are renting, but I'm bringing my bike: Stumpjumper 29er which is finally my perfect bike and should be able to handle most anything I have nerve enough to ride.
    I have a month to prepare and schedule... Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Start with easy trails progress to harder ones.

check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail descriptions, also. They are almost up to date on even the newest trails. I usually consider their evaluations and opinions spot on, on trails I ride every day and know like the back of my hand, so I'm a discriminating critic.(disclaimer:no affiliation of any sort).

You didnt mention if your stumpy 29er was FSR

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I saw that link a couple of times and am checking it out - thanks.

Yeah, it's a '12 FSR Carbon Expert. Couple of other tweaks to suit me (carbon Roval wheels, Syntace bars, different stem, grips, saddle - the norm) I'm fortunate in my abilities to play with the nice stuff. Still, equipment doesn't make up for lack of fitness or ability, despite my best efforts.

Quick Q: Tires? I'm running Nobby Nics on Stumpy and have Geax Saguaro's on my HT 'goof-off' bike - suggestions one way or another, or something altogether different?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    I saw that link a couple of times and am checking it out - thanks.

Yeah, it's a '12 FSR Carbon Expert. Couple of other tweaks to suit me (carbon Roval wheels, Syntace bars, different stem, grips, saddle - the norm) I'm fortunate in my abilities to play with the nice stuff. Still, equipment doesn't make up for lack of fitness or ability, despite my best efforts.

Quick Q: Tires? I'm running Nobby Nics on Stumpy and have Geax Saguaro's on my HT 'goof-off' bike - suggestions one way or another, or something altogether different?
    I ride in Moab quite often and a good way to get acclimated to the different terrain, I would check out the trail networks off of Klondike bluffs (Klondike, EKG etc) and the Moab brand trails on utahmountainbiking.com ( my suggestions: LAZY EZ, Deadmans ridge, circle O, bar B, and rockin A, DO NOT just ride BAR M it is a dirt road) These trails are not too crazy, but will help you get used to the area and the different type of riding with pretty much no heights and zero cliff edges My roadie friend liked them a lot and was challenging enough to keep him on his toes, so it should be good for everyone to get used to. Klondike is an out n' back, UP then DOWN, but fun. There is a hike on the end if you choose to do it that over looks arches national park.

You could spend a day riding those networks if you like that type of riding. If you are comfortable with that, check out slick rock and Amasa back. Super fun, more tech. You will probably want to walk the first part, but after that it will be fun. If you want another good full day ride, check out the Mag 7. Not as crazy as the whole enchildada, but will still challenge you and LOTS of fun.

The whole enchilada = amazing.
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks, ggilings, that is looking like a great plan.

Talking to the other guys, looks like we'll do Dead Horse Point's big loop on the first morn. Get some sight-seeing in, a mild ride to try to acclimate a bit. After that we'll do North 40 and some of the other Brand trails based on time and how we feel.

2nd morning we'll do the Slickrock test loop and kind of play it by ear with other Brand trails and maybe Bull Run.

Day 3 - my pals are still planning as much of THE as is ridable. More Youtube time has me thoroughly convinced otherwise. So, since they're shuttling, and I have the van, anyone want to hitch a ride into Cortez CO and ride Phil's World trails? I've heard great things, it seems more my speed (no cliffs to plummet off) and it's only about 40 minutes longer to get there than to shuttle to Burro Pass. Otherwise I'll ride some easy stuff again or catch a boat ride or something else tourist-y.

Takers? This will be on Thurs May 17 - morning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wogster,
    If you are out riding slickrock, don't just do the test loop, do the whole loop. It is really a lot of fun and stunningly scenic and if you take it at a mellow pace can be done in well under 2 hours.

I rode Phils World last year and it is a fun dedicated mtb trail system. That said, if you are traveling from FL to ride in Moab, ride in Moab! Seriously, Moab is hard to get to for most of us and deserves to be explored. The Sovereign trail system is just north of town and doesn't have the exposure of TWE. It has lots of options, so make sure you do a little research on the sections you want to ride (same if you decide to go to Phil's World). Also if you want some interesting reading on the area, pick up a copy of Desert Solitary, by Edward Abbey, great read and will make the area even more interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Thanks, ggilings, that is looking like a great plan.

Talking to the other guys, looks like we'll do Dead Horse Point's big loop on the first morn. Get some sight-seeing in, a mild ride to try to acclimate a bit. After that we'll do North 40 and some of the other Brand trails based on time and how we feel.

2nd morning we'll do the Slickrock test loop and kind of play it by ear with other Brand trails and maybe Bull Run.

Day 3 - my pals are still planning as much of THE as is ridable. More Youtube time has me thoroughly convinced otherwise. So, since they're shuttling, and I have the van, anyone want to hitch a ride into Cortez CO and ride Phil's World trails? I've heard great things, it seems more my speed (no cliffs to plummet off) and it's only about 40 minutes longer to get there than to shuttle to Burro Pass. Otherwise I'll ride some easy stuff again or catch a boat ride or something else tourist-y.

Takers? This will be on Thurs May 17 - morning.
    The trails near dead horse point is fun, fast, more flat and pretty flowy. I think it is the intrepid system.

However, I agree with the post above. Don't just do the test loop on Slickrock. Being from FL it will seem like another planet and a must ride. You don't really ever ride on a cliff or anything unless you really want to. Also, Sovereign is a great suggestion! Super fun
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

The Whole Enchilada

Going to be in Moab May 11th for a week and wondered if anyone can tell me how the snow pack on Burro Pass is? Can we get up there or start from a lower section to do the Whole Enchilada?

thanks

hyknbykaz

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast