mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Moab trails for kids who are decent riders

My kids (10 and 12 year old boys) and I have done Klondike Bluffs, Slickrock practice loop, Monitor and Merrimac (several times), Bar M/Circle O, Little Canyon and Arths Corner. Can anyone suggest a trail or two that would be a logical next step (small step up in difficutly or about the same in difficulty as the one's we've done already). would not want to do anything too much more tech than Little Canyon. Hard to tell from the descriptions on UtahMountainbikingcom what the next step should be--i.e. all the other Moab area trails look a LOT more technical or they are pretty much just dirt road rides. We'll be down there next week. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    We live here and my 13 year old boy's favorite trail is probably the Salt Wash/Sovereign loop of the Sovereign single track system. Definitely harder than the other ones but long stretches of moderate trail too.

You can also try them on Pipe Dream, Amasa Back and entire Slickrock trail.

Have you fully explored Klondike? A loop involving Baby Steps, Mega Steps and EKG would be a good challenge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My kids are 12 and 14. We've done all the trails you've mentioned several times. Last weekend we did Bull Run with Little Canyon and Arths. Not much more technical, but just more of it with the added distance. Dead Man's Ridge was a good challenge for them and a lot of fun for me. Had a friend ride Mega Steps and EKG with his 8 year old son (he rides like a 12 year old though). He thought Mega was great and EKG was a little too techy in a couple spots. Think next time out we'll give Sovereign a try. I keep hearing great things.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    There's a good deal of relatively easy riding on Bartlett Wash although with some consequences in the case of a crash or loss of control. Poison Spider Mesa, once you do the grind up, is reasonable.

mtbr member
    Like someone else said, Sovereign would be a good option but can get a little chewed up, sandy in places from motos.

Intredid trail up at Dead Horse Point is the other one my 12 year old enjoyed when we were there last Spring (although not a step up in difficulty).

If they're OK with a little sloping exposure (or better stated: If you're ok with having them on a trail with some exposure) you might try Pipe Dream.

pedlr
    +1 for Intrepid.

Bar M
    You didnt mention EZ and Lazy at Bar M, so if you havent, try them. All the local kids love that trail. You MUST ride Lazy in a northwest direction(descending banked turns, major fun). So basically that would be a counterclockwise loop.

The new north 40 is fun and similar to Lazy.
    Then there is rusty spur, although it's a beginners trail, as in my 5 year old could handle it.

Klondike area

Sounds like your kids might be ready for Megasteps. Park at the north Klondike lot, Megasteps starts there. It's a little steep in places, but not that much harder than Klondike or M and M. It is a first rate trail.

There is a new trail out there called Dino flow. It is the first trail you will come to on Megasteps. It is suitable for your kids, similiar to EZ. The farther south you take it the softer it gets, as it is new, I would only recommend the Northern few miles of it.

You've probably got enough suggestions, but there are a couple more routes that
    appeal to the kid in me.

The first is to go halfway up Klondike, go left on a marked road that takes you to the southernmost section of Babysteps South Singletrack(careful, it's very easy to miss) and go down that.
    It is a blast going in this direction(down), and takes you down to dinoflow on the south end, which I would blow past and come back to the car on copper ridge road.

There's one more that is one of my favorite short rides in Moab. I cant tell you what map to find it on because the Sovereign system can be very hard to map, but I will describe it for you.
    Take the Dalton wells road Northeast to the trail head parking lot. Park, then ride continuing up the Dalton Wells Road, which goes North, to the left.
    Going to the right or or northeast, would take you to a fun slickrock playground in about a mile.
    Anyway, going north, and uphill, follow Dalton Wells for 15 minutes and you will see a trail which is part of the sovereign atv system going off to the right. This is where you will return to. Keep going up(steep hill) Dalton Wells till you come to the second sovereign system trail going off to the right. It is singletrack, although it may be marked atv(?). Take this trail, stay right when you get to a T, and you will ultimately get back down to that first intersection I mentioned.
    It goes way too fast, so I usually turn around and do it again to the top in a counterclockwise direction, then come down it again. big fun!

I apologize if I'm describing routes you are already familiar with. If not, I'd be glad to clarify the directions.
    Kudos to you for being such a great dad and introducing your boys to our great sport!

pedlr
    I dont know if this will help, but here's a link:

Trail Mix