Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 302
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    141

    Moab Trail Conditions

    Any word on recent trail conditions. Bar m trails or other singletrack? Whats rideable?
    35,000+Bicycle Parts at BikePartsExpress.com, largest selection of Bike Parts on the web.

  2. #2
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Nothing is snow free right now. Bunch of tracks out on slickrock the other day but expect at least 75% snow wherever you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab Trail Conditions-737193_10152374483295710_609301951_o.jpeg  


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    538
    How has the snowfall been in Moab this year? I will visit Moab around beginning of May and hope to do as much as TWE as possible - I hope to be able to start from Hazards county

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    141
    Yeah, thats what i figured. Pretty big snow all around Utah right now. Would be nice to know when the lower stuff is open again. FYI St George is awesome right now.
    35,000+Bicycle Parts at BikePartsExpress.com, largest selection of Bike Parts on the web.

  5. #5
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    There is a few inches around. The good news is te forecast is sunny and dry. The bad news is it's not particularly warm.

    Way to early to speculate on Hazard in early May.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    538
    @Jwind - Is it possible to say when Hazard normally is accessible during a winter with a average snowfall?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28

    Snowcast in Moab

    Sure there is snow in Moab. The Fat Tire bikes have been out in the Brands. A little piece of video was shot New Years Day, Check it out on FaceBook profile visit.moab.utah

    The thing about the cold, there is no mud. I am finding that the roads outback are seldom driven this time of year and are exquisite cross country pedaling. If you have the lungs and animal integrity, keep moving and enjoy trails too, like this one pictured out in the Bartlett Region. Oh can't post pictures yet. Check it out on the facebook page for GCHS Mountain Bike Team.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

  8. #8
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    @Jwind - Is it possible to say when Hazard normally is accessible during a winter with a average snowfall?
    I rode Hazard down very late April last year after a silly dry year. I would not get your hopes up.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I rode Hazard down very late April last year after a silly dry year. I would not get your hopes up.
    Thanks :-) I will keep my fingers crossed :-)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojojojoaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    761
    Not a lot of snow fall this year but COOOOOOLD! Dang last year it was almost warm the whole winter. Even if we don't get much more snow this year than last year it wont clear off until it gets warmer. Negative temperatures all over the place right now.

  12. #12
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    Not a lot of snow fall this year but COOOOOOLD! Dang last year it was almost warm the whole winter. Even if we don't get much more snow this year than last year it wont clear off until it gets warmer. Negative temperatures all over the place right now.
    Indeed. This is longest I've been of dirt in a couple years. looks like weather pattern changing this week tho...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Indeed. This is longest I've been of dirt in a couple years. looks like weather pattern changing this week tho...
    Just for historical reference, the weather pattern didn't change in Moab last week. Still 0F or below at night, teens during the day, with winds 10-20mph. That is too cold for most.

    weather.com says it will warm into the low 30's for highs by the weekend, but with lows still in the single digits, and breezy.

    Moab usually gets a week or two of bitterly cold weather every year, but this year it is more like a month or two.

  14. #14
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Just for historical reference, the weather pattern didn't change in Moab last week. Still 0F or below at night, teens during the day, with winds 10-20mph. That is too cold for most.

    weather.com says it will warm into the low 30's for highs by the weekend, but with lows still in the single digits, and breezy.

    Moab usually gets a week or two of bitterly cold weather every year, but this year it is more like a month or two.
    Long term forecast likes to tease, then takes a nose dive :/

    It got cold a bit Before Christmas and really has not let up. iPhone tells me it's going to be much warmer NEXT week. We'll see if that comes to fruition or not. In the mean time, everything is covered in snow. Boo.

  15. #15
    More Chasmism
    Reputation: hfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    weather.com says it will warm into the low 30's for highs by the weekend, but with lows still in the single digits, and breezy.
    Never ever ever ever believe weather.com with regard to Moab winter weather, especially if there has been any moisture. They always fail to account for the inversion. Weather underground is much more reliable.

    Only another week or three and it will break. Always does by the first few weeks of February.

    hfly

  16. #16
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Inversion or not, it's been cold over the whole Western US. Over heard something about crops being lost in California on NPR tonight.

  17. #17
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,886
    Yeah California is really cold.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Loss of lettuce, orange, garlic, etc crops in CA, prices are spiking upwards.
    Link.... not looking good.

    http://www.usda.gov/oce/weather/pubs.../Wwcb/wwcb.pdf

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    256
    Still cold, barely broke 32 degrees. Snow melting really slow. Nothing worth riding. Go to St. George, it was 60 degrees yesterday and warmer this week. Lots of snow in Las Sals, expect more time to melt it off this year unless it warms up really fast. We have more snow than Colorado.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    We have more snow than Colorado.
    That is true.....60's and sunny up here on the Front Range. Trails are in great shape.....able to ride everything around Golden right now. Did a 5 hour ride right from the front door this past weekend.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    Can you give some route detail on that 5 hour ride? Thanks.
    OVER the rocks, not around

  22. #22
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    Can you give some route detail on that 5 hour ride? Thanks.
    What 5 hour drive?

    EDIT: Oh, 5 hour ride in Denver. Sorry, can't help you there.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    Can you give some route detail on that 5 hour ride? Thanks.
    Just combining a bunch of Jeffco parks.....

    Chimney>Apex>North Table Mountain (did all the new and old stuff on NTM).

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,673
    Things can change fast..(and change back fast too) this time of year.

    We were -20 to -6 F overnight, barely struggling to get out of the single digits in the daytime for a two or three weeks after Christmas here in Ely (same Latitude as Moab just higher elevation).....

    Today when I woke up it was raining and 36 degrees at 6:00am. Go figure.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    95
    In regards to snow and such. Historically what month/time does Burro Pass open for riding?

  26. #26
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by bneall View Post
    In regards to snow and such. Historically what month/time does Burro Pass open for riding?
    July-ish around 6:30am
    Last edited by JMH; 02-14-2013 at 05:54 PM.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Did you guys get more snow down low?

  28. #28
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Did you guys get more snow down low?
    I rode Amasa Sunday Mid-day. It was pretty clear considering and pretty much all ridable with intermitted ****-fights.

    Swung by BarM today. No go. Slop fest and snow. Dusting of snow tonight so far.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I rode Amasa Sunday Mid-day. It was pretty clear considering and pretty much all ridable with intermitted ****-fights.

    Swung by BarM today. No go. Slop fest and snow. Dusting of snow tonight so far.
    Thanks for the update. Looks like clear above freezing weather for the next few days. I would love to do amasa, stacker, jackson's early next week. Too early??

  30. #30
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    RS/Jacksons holds snow. North facing Canyon walls will be out for a while longer. Pipe dream is pretty much 100% covered. That being said, last couple of days have really helped. I rode Slickrock today (that's how bad I wanted to ride ) and snow was pretty much a non issue.
    Moab Trail Conditions-550065_10152476110040710_1949264110_n.jpeg

  31. #31
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,732
    Is Amasa Back clear enough to ride tomorrow?
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

  32. #32
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    I have second hand knowledge that amasa back is good to go, rockstacker and jackson probably not so much. Gonna head out there myself today to verify.
    Ride On!

  33. #33
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Yes. I rode Amasa last weekend with little interference. It's good to go.

  34. #34
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    So no go on most of the stuff up North as well? Klondike, Sovereign? Was considering sneaking across the border tomorrow morning if it was better there. It's pretty gooey in GJ, Fruita from what I'm hearing. Guess I can always just go out early here.

  35. #35
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    So no go on most of the stuff up North as well? Klondike, Sovereign? Was considering sneaking across the border tomorrow morning if it was better there. It's pretty gooey in GJ, Fruita from what I'm hearing. Guess I can always just go out early here.
    We tried Bar M this morning. Sloppy. You might be able to do something at N. Klondike. Like maybe. Seem like there is more snow just north of town as well. Amasa and SR are really the only options right now.

  36. #36
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    We tried Bar M this morning. Sloppy. You might be able to do something at N. Klondike. Like maybe. Seem like there is more snow just north of town as well. Amasa and SR are really the only options right now.
    Thanks. I'll probably just try to get an early ride in here tomorrow instead. Hate to drive over there for the same conditions. Just jonesing to ride.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    I have second hand knowledge that amasa back is good to go, rockstacker and jackson probably not so much. Gonna head out there myself today to verify.
    Did you ride RS, Jackson's?

  38. #38
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Did you ride RS, Jackson's?
    Covered in snow. Maybe not a whole lot, but enough to make it not fun IMO.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Covered in snow. Maybe not a whole lot, but enough to make it not fun IMO.
    copy that. I'm planning on riding moab this tuesday. Do you still think amasa and SR will be the only good options then?

  40. #40
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    copy that. I'm planning on riding moab this tuesday. Do you still think amasa and SR will be the only good options then?
    If I were a betting man, yes. Today is cloudy and colder wich doesn't help. It's possible that North Klondike might be ok since it's almost all rock. Maybe something like EKG and Baby Steps North but I haven't been out there to check.

  41. #41
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Did you ride RS, Jackson's?
    No, got in a time crunch, just quick ride to the false summit and down. I'm gone until middle of next week, I'm sure others will chime in as stuff opens up
    Ride On!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    No, got in a time crunch, just quick ride to the false summit and down. I'm gone until middle of next week, I'm sure others will chime in as stuff opens up
    Cool, I decided to try another area all together. I rode Poison Spider to Portal yesterday: PS is good to go, sand was the only obstacle. The exposed traverse on portal still has snow and mud. More snow than mud. Immediately after the exposure the rest of the trail is dry.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    477
    Monday morning, Feb 11th: 4+ inches of fresh in town.

    Likely to melt quick in most places but will linger on shady aspects, and ad to the mud factor.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    Looks like it's suppose to be warm down there this weekend? I was thinking of heading down for a few days from Bozeman for a little get away - would it be worth it?

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    92
    I'm going to be there this Sat-Mon and was hoping to ride the dirt bike (moto) on White Rim and then MTB Amasa Back. From the previous posts it sounds like Amasa Back would be fairly apt to be clear of snow. Any idea about White Rim?

  46. #46
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by c_t_smith View Post
    I'm going to be there this Sat-Mon and was hoping to ride the dirt bike (moto) on White Rim and then MTB Amasa Back. From the previous posts it sounds like Amasa Back would be fairly apt to be clear of snow. Any idea about White Rim?
    That plan will work fine or at least the Amasa part. Went out to Bar M today. Not ready. Muddy slopfest. It's close. Maybe a few more days... So pretty much Slickrock Amasa and & Poison Spider until further notice.

  47. #47
    Spinnin n Grinnin
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7
    thanks for posting trail conditions - will be in Moab feb 28 - mar 3 and so looking forward it!

  48. #48
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343

    Rockstacker!

    Rode Amasa Back, Pothole Arch, and Rockstacker today. The drop-in at the beginning of rockstacker was icy and mucky, but good to go past that. Only a few small patches of snow that were really of no consequence. A cursory look into Jacksons and the verdict is that it needs a few more warm days. So made the loop back down Amasa Back.

    Moab Trail Conditions-rs-drop-.jpg
    Rockstacker drop-in
    Ride On!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    My son and I rode Bar M/Circle O/Rockin A on Saturday. Stayed on the road to get to Bar M and then onto Circle O. Bar M was fine and the rock was perfect. Stay off Lazy/Deadmans/Bar B. Very muddy with snow.
    OVER the rocks, not around

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    92
    On Saturday my wife ran the Moab Red Hot 55K which covered parts of: Gemini Bridges, Metal Masher, Gold Bar Rim, and Poison Spider. Aside from a little snow heading up the road to Gemini Bridges, she felt like those trails were all good to go. I rode Amasa Back Sunday and then took the dirt bike to 7 Mile Rim and Monitor and Merrimac. All of those areas were in great shape.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Going to be in Moab march 15-19. Can anyone guess how much, if any, of porcupine will be open? Thanks for any assistance.

  52. #52
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Going to be in Moab march 15-19. Can anyone guess how much, if any, of porcupine will be open? Thanks for any assistance.
    Probably going to have to wait and see, chances may not be too good for porc rim. Got chased off of slickrock by a blizzard (by Moab standards) today. It's been a cold, snowy winter here. looks like we will get into a warming trend next week, see what happens.
    Ride On!

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well? This is baring no further significant snow and expecting normal conditions between now and then. This thread has been very helpful as we near our annual March Moab visit. Thanks to all who have contributed.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak greeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    481
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    litespeed's break

  55. #55
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well?
    UPS, LPS, Koko, hazard and Burro Will all be covered in snow as well as anything in the La Sals if PR is.

  56. #56
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    Many of the rides require a car to get to. Some rides are are totally doable from town, but you'll end up putting in a lot of pavement miles or spending just as much if not more in $$$ on shuttles.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    If you need a shuttle check out Moab Shuttle | Red Rock Express

    They are Moab local small business owners that provide great professional service and know the Moab area really well.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak greeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Many of the rides require a car to get to. Some rides are are totally doable from town, but you'll end up putting in a lot of pavement miles or spending just as much if not more in $$$ on shuttles.
    Are the rides you speak of out and backs? Or would you need to hire a shuttle to get you back to your car? Or just set up shuttles with other riders? There is a chance a buddy of mine will be joining me 5 of the 9 days I'll be there. I could end up solo also. Thanx for your input.
    litespeed's break

  59. #59
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Are the rides you speak of out and backs? Or would you need to hire a shuttle to get you back to your car? Or just set up shuttles with other riders? There is a chance a buddy of mine will be joining me 5 of the 9 days I'll be there. I could end up solo also. Thanx for your input.
    Some are and some are not. WIth the exception of Slickrock, pipedream and Amasa. All other rides would be 10+ miles on pavement. Even there, the ride up to SR has a decent little climb and isn't exactly scintillating. I do it all the time, but I live here. If I were visiting, I'd be doing my best to put as many miles in on dirt rather than pavement.

  60. #60
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.

  61. #61
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.
    JMH may have lapped Mag 7 from town but he left out upper mag. A mere 40 miles and 4K of elevation. Pffft!

    On a positive note, things are drying slowly but surely and warmer weather is forecasted for the weekend and beyond.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    I am heading out that way Friday morning for the weekend. From a previous post it sounds like most of everything in the Gemini/Gold Bar area should be good to go, but I think that was from a runners perspective. Beyond that I haven't seen any recent posts regarding trail conditions at the trails up north, Sovereign/Klondike, etc. Any insight would be helpful, praying for warm dry weather.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    477
    This one (red line; Poison Spider/Gold Bar) was almost entirely snow free. Only the gravel road descent out of the Gemini/mag7 area had a little ice.

    <iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/278088634'></iframe>

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    nice thanks for the info, that is what I planned on riding Saturday.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.
    I'll bite
    1) is/will the full mag 7 likely be ride-able (I don't mind some snow/ice) this weekend 3/1/13-3/3/13?

    2) loop option? just up 191 to 313- or is there another option? 7-up to Mag 7 down looks like the ticket. Ride-able this weekend?

    e

  66. #66
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    I looped that same ride from town as Jan and yeah, it's good to go. The road down to the hwy was sloppy but Poison Spider's infamous sand pits are already getting a little infamous.

    I tried Brand Trails last week and Deadman's was still muddy but Chuky checked it out on Monday and said it looked good.

    Last I heard (Saturday, aka 4 days ago now) there was still quite a bit of snow above Arth's on Mag 7. I bet it's better now but I would put money on parts of Bull Run being wet and muddy. Maybe try the jeep road entrance instead of the first two miles of trail that run along the north edge of the canyon? I bet it's not bad below that. If I find out I will post up.

    JMH

  67. #67
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    JMH may have lapped Mag 7 from town but he left out upper mag. A mere 40 miles and 4K of elevation. Pffft!

    On a positive note, things are drying slowly but surely and warmer weather is forecasted for the weekend and beyond.
    You want to know a horrible ride? Mag 7... the full meal deal. Start from town and ride out towards Pot Ash, head up Long Canyon, across the top of the mesa and down Mag 7, out to the highway, do some Brand Trail loops and back to town. No, seriously. Long Canyon SUCKS! It makes the Poison Spider ride seem like a romp in comparison

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for the update sounds like little canyon rim to mag 7 up gold bar and down poison spider has aa decent chance of being good to go

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dalabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21
    Anyone know how Porcupine Rim is right now? We will be there tomorrow, March 1st.
    Thanks

  70. #70
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by dalabike View Post
    Anyone know how Porcupine Rim is right now? We will be there tomorrow, March 1st.
    Thanks
    Not even close.

  71. #71
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    469
    Hows the stuff north of town looking? Brands, Sovereign and Klondike.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    81
    Rode Amasa today. Conditions were perfect. Cold this morning but warmed up to 45. I was able to ride in shorts and a jersey. Riding Mag7 tomorrow. Hopefully it's in good shape. I've never ridden it and have somewhat high expectations (it's February after all!).

  73. #73
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemorrised View Post
    Rode Amasa today. Conditions were perfect. Cold this morning but warmed up to 45. I was able to ride in shorts and a jersey. Riding Mag7 tomorrow. Hopefully it's in good shape. I've never ridden it and have somewhat high expectations (it's February after all!).
    Did you ride down RS and Jackson by any chance and if so how was it??? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    rode Klondike/babysteps to sovereign trail. it was all in good shape. some north facing stuff was snowy and muddy but they were both 95 percent dry in fact very sandy for this time of year. tomorrow is 7up mag 7 to poison spider going to be a great weekend

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    81
    Didn't ride Jackson - back down Amasa. Mag7 was a little wet/snowy up top but rideable. I didn't know you could link to spider and rode back on the bridges road. Very sandy in the beginning then wet up and over to 191. What's/where's the link to Spider? I wouldn't do Mag7 as a shuttle back to town again without it.

  76. #76
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemorrised View Post
    Didn't ride Jackson - back down Amasa. Mag7 was a little wet/snowy up top but rideable. I didn't know you could link to spider and rode back on the bridges road. Very sandy in the beginning then wet up and over to 191. What's/where's the link to Spider? I wouldn't do Mag7 as a shuttle back to town again without it.
    If you want to get technical, PS is the 7th trail in the Mag 7 line up That or the Portal would be the other option. It's just that most bail out Gemini as the ride up and over goldbar adds significant time, distance and effort to your ride.

    http://www.grandcountyutah.net/trail...Bar-Potash.pdf

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Did you ride down RS and Jackson by any chance and if so how was it??? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    I rode RS,Jackson's Tuesday. It's good to go. There was some ice and mud in shady spots on Jackson's, but nothing that caused any issues. By now it's probably perfect.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Any updates on Porcupine? Your forecast is looking decent. Will it be open in ten days? Thanks.

  79. #79
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Any updates on Porcupine? Your forecast is looking decent. Will it be open in ten days? Thanks.
    Doubt it. Snow just burnt of the West canyon wall in town. Not even sure Pipedream is ridable. That being said, Mag 7 is in great shape.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    803
    Getting warm... Porcupine opening up at all?

  81. #81
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Moab Trail Conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Getting warm... Porcupine opening up at all?
    It's been quite warm. Rumor has it this weekend.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Any of you leisurely pedalers feeling competitive? May 4th 2013 there is an Enduro Mountain Bike Race to be held on Moab's Mag 7 trails. Press Release ****************11bfT9O. Or Warning: May 7 will be occupied May 4th. The good news? The Moab Trail Mix has opened 80 miles of trail 2011-2012. Get a Moab Trail Alliance map (the latest edition) from any of Moab's Bike Shops. The money goes directly back into the funds for building trails by Moab Trail Mix. And pitch in while you are here, get to know Moab's volunteers who also are amped to mountain bike ride. (Bike Shops can advise you of work projects as well.)
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nallacious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    56
    I rode Rockstacker and upper and lower Captain Ahab one day and 7-Up, Bull Run, Arth's, Little Canyon, Great Escape, and Getaway another day. They are all in great shape.

  84. #84
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Jwind, whats the snow/ice line at now for rideable stuff near Porc?

  85. #85
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by VisitMoabUtah View Post
    Any of you leisurely pedalers feeling competitive? May 4th 2013 there is an Enduro Mountain Bike Race to be held on Moab's Mag 7 trails. Press Release ****************11bfT9O. Or Warning: May 7 will be occupied May 4th. The good news? The Moab Trail Mix has opened 80 miles of trail 2011-2012. Get a Moab Trail Alliance map (the latest edition) from any of Moab's Bike Shops. The money goes directly back into the funds for building trails by Moab Trail Mix. And pitch in while you are here, get to know Moab's volunteers who also are amped to mountain bike ride. (Bike Shops can advise you of work projects as well.)
    Only if there's points for who's gonna retire first.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,189
    Mag 7 was great yesterday, only saw 5 jeeps. Got lost towards the end but finally found some helpfull blue paint which we followed out :0

  87. #87
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Jwind, whats the snow/ice line at now for rideable stuff near Porc?
    Shuttles are headed to LPS. Near 70's all week.

  88. #88
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Did the south end of the MOAB Brand Trails, today, late this afternoon, parked right next to Ross Schnell in his new to him TDI sportwagen. Good stuff, quite impressed with how these CST Cabellero's hold up on the slick rock. Not the grippiest, but they wear pretty good on this stuff. Very nice, the new stuff put in over here since I rode it last year, mild tech stuff, nothing crazy, but fun, fun, fun, keeps you on your toes.

    The jeep crowd is thinning out now from March, still a few residual dudes in town. Get some while it's still cool, these rocks bake you when it gets close to 80F.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,234
    Shuttles are running to UPS via lower Koko.
    Trail is in good shape.
    The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized.

  90. #90
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized.
    I noticed that today, does anyone know who is doing this and why?
    Ride On!

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Shuttles are running to UPS via lower Koko.
    Trail is in good shape.
    The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized.
    That section was way too gnarly, it needed to be sanitized. I hope they put in a guard rail too because there's some exposure that not everyone is comfortable with. And how about some grip tape on the Notch so everyone can ride it.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,367
    [QUOTE=The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized[/QUOTE]
    What does that mean?

  93. #93
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What does that mean?
    Smoothing out technical or rocky sections so the average tourist on a cruiser bike can ride it, effectively ruining the character and "soul" of the trail, the reason people come from all over the world to ride it.
    Ride On!

  94. #94
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    I noticed that today, does anyone know who is doing this and why?
    WHen was the last time you rode. Or it's been sanitized since when?

  95. #95
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    WHen was the last time you rode. Or it's been sanitized since when?
    Rode it Saturday, quite a bit of sanitizing when you hit the drop into jackass canyon all the way out to the road. Doesn't make too much sense as if you've made it that far, the rest should not be a problem. If there are plans to continue this up the trail, an intervention may be needed
    Ride On!

  96. #96
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    Rode it Saturday, quite a bit of sanitizing when you hit the drop into jackass canyon all the way out to the road. Doesn't make too much sense as if you've made it that far, the rest should not be a problem. If there are plans to continue this up the trail, an intervention may be needed
    No, I mean it's been sanitized since when?

  97. #97
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    No, I mean it's been sanitized since when?
    In the last week, rode previous weekend and no "trail work" had been done
    Ride On!

  98. #98
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    In the last week, rode previous weekend and no "trail work" had been done
    Hmm, i dunno. I rode it three weeks ago and all was the same compare to the last couple of seasons anyhow.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,234
    The work took place between 3/31 and 4/6.
    New paint on rocks to show trail, rocks moved, trail widened, rockwork ramps, and several large boulders have had portions chipped off and removed to make more room on the trail.
    It is significantly easier to ride clean now than it was in the past.

  100. #100
    dead weight
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    731
    Sucks. I loved that lower section's character.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •