Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab Trail Conditions

54K views 311 replies 115 participants last post by  alexbn921 
#1 ·
Any word on recent trail conditions. Bar m trails or other singletrack? Whats rideable?

#48 ·
Rockstacker!

Rode Amasa Back, Pothole Arch, and Rockstacker today. The drop-in at the beginning of rockstacker was icy and mucky, but good to go past that. Only a few small patches of snow that were really of no consequence. A cursory look into Jacksons and the verdict is that it needs a few more warm days. So made the loop back down Amasa Back.

Nature Winter Mountainous landforms Freezing Atmosphere

Rockstacker drop-in

#50 ·
On Saturday my wife ran the Moab Red Hot 55K which covered parts of: Gemini Bridges, Metal Masher, Gold Bar Rim, and Poison Spider. Aside from a little snow heading up the road to Gemini Bridges, she felt like those trails were all good to go. I rode Amasa Back Sunday and then took the dirt bike to 7 Mile Rim and Monitor and Merrimac. All of those areas were in great shape.

#53 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well? This is baring no further significant snow and expecting normal conditions between now and then. This thread has been very helpful as we near our annual March Moab visit. Thanks to all who have contributed.

#54 ·
Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan

#62 ·
I am heading out that way Friday morning for the weekend. From a previous post it sounds like most of everything in the Gemini/Gold Bar area should be good to go, but I think that was from a runners perspective. Beyond that I haven't seen any recent posts regarding trail conditions at the trails up north, Sovereign/Klondike, etc. Any insight would be helpful, praying for warm dry weather.

#66 ·
I looped that same ride from town as Jan and yeah, it's good to go. The road down to the hwy was sloppy but Poison Spider's infamous sand pits are already getting a little infamous.

I tried Brand Trails last week and Deadman's was still muddy but Chuky checked it out on Monday and said it looked good.

Last I heard (Saturday, aka 4 days ago now) there was still quite a bit of snow above Arth's on Mag 7. I bet it's better now but I would put money on parts of Bull Run being wet and muddy. Maybe try the jeep road entrance instead of the first two miles of trail that run along the north edge of the canyon? I bet it's not bad below that. If I find out I will post up.

JMH

#75 ·
Didn't ride Jackson - back down Amasa. Mag7 was a little wet/snowy up top but rideable. I didn't know you could link to spider and rode back on the bridges road. Very sandy in the beginning then wet up and over to 191. What's/where's the link to Spider? I wouldn't do Mag7 as a shuttle back to town again without it.

#82 ·
Any of you leisurely pedalers feeling competitive? May 4th 2013 there is an Enduro Mountain Bike Race to be held on Moab's Mag 7 trails. Press Release ****************11bfT9O. Or Warning: May 7 will be occupied May 4th. The good news? The Moab Trail Mix has opened 80 miles of trail 2011-2012. Get a Moab Trail Alliance map (the latest edition) from any of Moab's Bike Shops. The money goes directly back into the funds for building trails by Moab Trail Mix. And pitch in while you are here, get to know Moab's volunteers who also are amped to mountain bike ride. (Bike Shops can advise you of work projects as well.)

#88 ·
Did the south end of the MOAB Brand Trails, today, late this afternoon, parked right next to Ross Schnell in his new to him TDI sportwagen. Good stuff, quite impressed with how these CST Cabellero's hold up on the slick rock. Not the grippiest, but they wear pretty good on this stuff. Very nice, the new stuff put in over here since I rode it last year, mild tech stuff, nothing crazy, but fun, fun, fun, keeps you on your toes.

The jeep crowd is thinning out now from March, still a few residual dudes in town. Get some while it's still cool, these rocks bake you when it gets close to 80F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.