Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How far up lps ups.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey sorry to create zombie thread but.....

Would it be worth it to come out either this weekend or next week...I'd be coming from Colorado so I'm not worried about the cold I just don't want snow

What's good?

mtbr member
    This past week I have ridden Capt Ahab, Navajo, and Klonzo.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Formerly of Kent
    What usually stays open and clear longest around there?

I realize the likely answer is "it depends", but I'd assume that lower elevation trails are more likely to remain snow-free than the higher ones, and those with a southern aspect would as well.

Has anyone ever produced a map showing both elevation and aspect for the area? I'm a big GIS nerd and this seems like a great way to predict what is rideable.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I know this is just getting needy but do you guys think porcupine rim would be rideable and what about white rim

You guys are awesome thanks!!!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    With the exception if a little late rain forecast for Friday everything looks good with toasty temps in the low 50's there is residual snow on North facing slopes that are shaded. I would guess you would have a lot of patches on UPS but should be rideable. White Rim would be all clear but you do need a permit. It's dipping into the 20's at night but other than a little chill the riding is as good as ever.
    As for what's open..........everything if you ride a Fatbike :thumbs up
    The last couple Winters have been mild so there are very few days you wouldn't have been able to ride a skinny tired bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Some people might dislike me for this, but I'm using ArcMap 10.3 to generate a map of Moab's trails (using 10m DEM files) to predict what will most likely be dry or snow free. Generating aspect and solar radiation area files as I write this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Amasa & Rockstacker all good.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Some people might dislike me for this, but I'm using ArcMap 10.3 to generate a map of Moab's trails (using 10m DEM files) to predict what will most likely be dry or snow free. Generating aspect and solar radiation area files as I write this.

Sounds like a cool project! Why would anyone dislike you for doing that? Nevermind, rhetorical questions, just don't give them a copy....

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    Sounds like a cool project! Why would anyone dislike you for doing that? Nevermind, rhetorical questions, just don't give them a copy....
    Some people don't want additional out-of-towners on "their" trails. A map of most likely to be dry trails would be bad news.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    You can always just call a bike shop in town and ask whats rideable.

I know, I know....soooo 'first decade of the new millennium'.

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post

OMG, You sir are a GD Genius!!!!! LOL
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    [QUOTE=Le Duke;12351956]Some people don't want additional out-of-towners on "their" trails.

^^^^

Some people are *******s, I have never ran into this. Its always been with open arms!
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post

That's always a good option, too.

However, I recognize the "limitations" of any model of data collection. Most notably, if no one has actually been out on a trail, there is no way of collecting data first hand.

Given the sheer number of trails and trail miles in Moab, this is a legitimate concern. People can give you their "best guess", based on prior experience. But, more data is never a bad thing, IME. Thus, the use of remote sensing and modeling as I'm doing here.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Rode up Porcupine Rim from the river two days ago. Started seeing patches of snow in shady areas on the sandy singletrack section just below LPS. We turned around due to time but suspect you could have reached LPS.

Tigers love pepper...
    Some snowy patches up at Navajo Rocks Yesterday but fine for the most part. I only remember one or two small spots of mud in 17 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bump. I'm thinking about an impromptu quick day and a half down there Sunday. Weather looks really good.

Sure-fire good trail suggestions are welcome, please.

Thanks.

pedlr
    I saw photos of a guy riding amassa today. basically clear of snow. disregard all previous reports, it snowed heavily 2 days ago.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    ^^^^^^^

We had 6" + at our house in town, there was more at higher elevations. Most of it has melted off as of today but any trails with North facing slopes are going to have a lot of residual. Everything's a " go" on a fatbike 😊

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    ^^^^^^^

We had 6" + at our house in town, there was more at higher elevations. Most of it has melted off as of today but any trails with North facing slopes are going to have a lot of residual. Everything's a " go" on a fatbike 😊
    I'm assuming rock stacker, jackson's will still have snow this weekend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'll chime in again Saturday and see if it's worth the trip from SLC. I just want a good day and a half of miles I can put in.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Rockstacker and Jackson don't get alot of sun this time of year, they are probably still snow and ice and I'd pass on them. Klondike and Mag 7, trails North of town get more sun and I'd look to ride out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any idea how things are looking after the (little bit, from looking at the weather?) snow yesterday?

Headed down tomorrow to stay for a few days, would love to get some pedalling in if possible, if it's do-able I might even try to hit Carosel @ Klonzo w/ my 4 year old...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    We had a few more inches of snow yesterday, 3 to 4 in town, more at higher elevations. Temps are in the 20's so Im not expecting it to melt off fast. Perfect conditions on a Fat bike. Brand trails might melt off a bit but they get really muddy.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast