Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is the Enduro on Mag 7, or does this suggest Klondike?

2016 SCOTT Enduro Cup Moab, May 7

2016 course info: Klondike Bluffs trail system

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    OK, are you able to access the Whole Enchilada at a lower point and ride? Coming out there this weekend and looking for some of the must do rides. Even if we can only do some of the WF that sounds good.
    so, how was it?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi, Planning to ride the Whole Echilada Saturday, Ahabs Sunday, and Mag 7 Monday. Does anyone see any issue with this due to trail conditions? Last time I did this was in Jly and it was hot as balls but everything was rideable. Thx a lot.

Desert Seeker
    The top sections of TWE are not open because of snow/mud. Right now the shuttles are going to Kokopelli. Other trails you mention are not a problem.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by knightrider81 View Post
    Hi, Planning to ride the Whole Echilada Saturday, Ahabs Sunday, and Mag 7 Monday. Does anyone see any issue with this due to trail conditions? Last time I did this was in Jly and it was hot as balls but everything was rideable. Thx a lot.
    Yup. TWE will not be available due to snow. Check with local shops - you may be able to do Hazard -> down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thank you both!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey guys...heading down for memorial day, looking to do some riding...a bit more enduro oriented kinda deal...Ahabs is on the list. Basically I could care less about going up or across...dont mind doing it but just like going down.

Beyond that, any recommendations on things we should try to hit that are a bit more gravity oriented? In and outs with solid decent ,etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hothb View Post
    Hey guys...heading down for memorial day, looking to do some riding...a bit more enduro oriented kinda deal...Ahabs is on the list. Basically I could care less about going up or across...dont mind doing it but just like going down.

Beyond that, any recommendations on things we should try to hit that are a bit more gravity oriented? In and outs with solid decent ,etc...
    Ahab is great, but it's not all down, especially the upper part.... and you do have to climb to get to it. Best bet for (mostly) down is to grab a shuttle for Kokopelli->UPS->LPS->Porcupine Rim.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'll be rolling into Moab on Memorial day and staying though the next weekend. The only things on my to do list really is Ahab. The IMBA designer who did the work on it also helped us out with rock placement out here on one of the trails I maintain in the PacNW and want to see his work.

So, other than climb Hymasa/ride Ahab, and take a bike shop shuttle as far up the enchilada as conditions allow, what *really* should an experienced, loves to go fast, loves technical riding person ride.

I'm happy to pay for shuttles but I'll be visiting alone so no way to count on a friendly lift.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    I'll be rolling into Moab on Memorial day and staying though the next weekend. The only things on my to do list really is Ahab. The IMBA designer who did the work on it also helped us out with rock placement out here on one of the trails I maintain in the PacNW and want to see his work.

So, other than climb Hymasa/ride Ahab, and take a bike shop shuttle as far up the enchilada as conditions allow, what *really* should an experienced, loves to go fast, loves technical riding person ride.

I'm happy to pay for shuttles but I'll be visiting alone so no way to count on a friendly lift.
    Portal. If you like fast/tech, you'll like Portal. Either loop with Poison Spider, shuttle Mag-7 and finish with Portal (big day) or push your bike up Portal then ride down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Portal. If you like fast/tech, you'll like Portal. Either loop with Poison Spider, shuttle Mag-7 and finish with Portal (big day) or push your bike up Portal then ride down.
    Yep, Mag 7 to Gold Bar Rim ST to Portal is probably my favorite (legal) ride in Moab and I like all the stuff you listed.

While in the Ahab/Amasa area you should also do Rock Stacker to Jacksons.

Might also check out Dave's Trail for a short, fun DH off The Slick Rock area back into town.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Yep, Mag 7 to Gold Bar Rim ST to Portal is probably my favorite (legal) ride in Moab and I like all the stuff you listed.

While in the Ahab/Amasa area you should also do Rock Stacker to Jacksons.
    Pro-tip - do Ahab BEFORE Rockstacker. There is a surprising amount of climbing from the road to get to the top of Ahab and you'll be glad to have that climbing out of the way and finish with Rockstacker/Jackson's. We made the mistake of Rockstacker then back up to the saddle & Ahab to finish. I was knackered at teh top of Ahab.

mtbr member
    Does anyone knows what Hazard County looks like at the moment? Is it far from being rideable or good to be open by next week possibly?

Same for Burro Pass, anyone checked it out to see what it looks like? How far away are we from being open?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Does anyone knows what Hazard County looks like at the moment? Is it far from being rideable or good to be open by next week possibly?

Same for Burro Pass, anyone checked it out to see what it looks like? How far away are we from being open?
    Well, from town it appears that the snow level is above Warner lake do Zi would think Hazard is clear, but the road up is gated by the Forest Service and may not be open yet if it's still wet and driving it might damage the road. Burro is definitely still closed. Your best bet for accurate estimates are from the shuttle companies that have the most interest in getting as high as they can. I'd call one of them, I think your looking at late June before the enchilada opens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Well, from town it appears that the snow level is above Warner lake do Zi would think Hazard is clear, but the road up is gated by the Forest Service and may not be open yet if it's still wet and driving it might damage the road. Burro is definitely still closed. Your best bet for accurate estimates are from the shuttle companies that have the most interest in getting as high as they can. I'd call one of them, I think your looking at late June before the enchilada opens.
    Thanks! What if we park the car at the gate towards Hazard, and ride our bikes up towards the Hazard trailhead and start from there, would that be possible? Or would Hazard be still too muddy to ride down next week?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Thanks! What if we park the car at the gate towards Hazard, and ride our bikes up towards the Hazard trailhead and start from there, would that be possible? Or would Hazard be still too muddy to ride down next week?
    I can't answer that with any surety as I haven't been up there lately.I've ridden up to the lake in the snow I wouldn't hesitate to try making it on a bike, I think that's probably doable, it should still be pretty wet though. I had a friend come down from a weeks stay at that altitude and she said nighttime temps were down in the mid 20's still.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The safe way to get as much of Hazard as is practical - park where Hazard ends and hits the road. Climb hazard until conditions warrant turning around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We are headed to moab for the next week with some family members that are intermediate to upper intermediate level as far as mtb skill and fitness. They are poor college students with pretty old hand me down xc bikes, but we will rent for them if it is a big ride day. I was thinking of the TWE, Kokopelli down, but am a little worried that Porcupine Rim would be too much. Mag 7 sounds good except the Portal part, (I'm not a fan of trails with extreme exposure). We are open to riding shuttles but prefer riding loops or down hills with climbs. I'm sure they could handle trails with hard technical parts, but I want to avoid ending up on trails where they have to hike a bike more then they ride.... or worse hurt themselves. We are planning on going to a shop to get some ideas, but looking for ride ideas especially ones that might not be suggested as often as the ones I've listed.
    thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by otter12 View Post
    We are headed to moab for the next week with some family members that are intermediate to upper intermediate level as far as mtb skill and fitness. They are poor college students with pretty old hand me down xc bikes, but we will rent for them if it is a big ride day. I was thinking of the TWE, Kokopelli down, but am a little worried that Porcupine Rim would be too much. Mag 7 sounds good except the Portal part, (I'm not a fan of trails with extreme exposure). We are open to riding shuttles but prefer riding loops or down hills with climbs. I'm sure they could handle trails with hard technical parts, but I want to avoid ending up on trails where they have to hike a bike more then they ride.... or worse hurt themselves. We are planning on going to a shop to get some ideas, but looking for ride ideas especially ones that might not be suggested as often as the ones I've listed.
    thanks in advance.
    Check out MOAB brand trails, klonzo, Klondike, Navajo rocks. Mostly loops, mostly intermediate riding. You don't have to shuttle any of those. Porcupine rim is much more enjoyable on a full suspension bike. The portal can be avoided on the mag 7 trail. Most folks go out the Gemini bridges road down to hwy 191 instead of gold bar rim-portal.

mtbr member
    I'd recommend Navajo Rocks and the Intrepid Trail (at Deadhorse Point SP - you have to pay $10 to get in, and there is basically one trail only, but it's a nice area with great views) as enjoyable loop trails for intermediate riders. Not a lot of exposure but still good views, a few sections they will want to walk but mostly rideable. In particular you can construct a lot of different loops at Navajo Rocks and also connect it to the Mag7 area. Some of the Mag7 trails are friendlier than others - get a map or talk to the bike shop people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've only stayed in Moab twice, once in the early 90's and the second time more than ten years ago... It seems like there are lots of new trails. Can't wait to get some rides in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otter12 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've only stayed in Moab twice, once in the early 90's and the second time more than ten years ago... It seems like there are lots of new trails. Can't wait to get some rides in.
    I would take their advice to heart. Start at the Brand trails, Dead Horse, then see where to go from there according to skill level, but both those trails are still really awesome rides.

Every time I ride in Moab, the trails are full of people that are absolutely hating life, pushing their bikes everywhere, and just totally pissed off because someone in the group had them ride trails that are way out of their league.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode Hazzard today! It is in great shape, 2 wet spots around the creek crossing but other wise pretty darn tack! There was 1 blow down we removed. They just opened the gate, cars were parking at the trailhead. I was told shuttle companies have not been approved by the state to start shuttling to the top of it yet.

Check out my recon report I am starting with a new thread about even higher up!
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

Formerly of Kent
    Moab is an absolute hell hole right now.

I saw a moto race in a BLM campground last night, and a brush fire at another. Air quality is terrible thanks to 10,000 OHVs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Moab is an absolute hell hole right now.

I saw a moto race in a BLM campground last night, and a brush fire at another. Air quality is terrible thanks to 10,000 OHVs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Hot tip - Memorial Day weekend has become the busiest weekend in Moab, period. Even the Jeep Safari week has fewer people, because non-Jeepers schedule around it. Last Memorial Day, for the first time in history, NPS closed the entrance to Arches because it was gridlocked. Traffic on 191 backed up all the way back over the bridge and past that a ways.

The weekend BEFORE Memorial Day is awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Hot tip - Memorial Day weekend has become the busiest weekend in Moab, period. Even the Jeep Safari week has fewer people, because non-Jeepers schedule around it. Last Memorial Day, for the first time in history, NPS closed the entrance to Arches because it was gridlocked. Traffic on 191 backed up all the way back over the bridge and past that a ways.

The weekend BEFORE Memorial Day is awesome.
    Agreed. I left Moab for home on the 27th. It wasn't very busy for the few days leading up to Mem Day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Spent most of the time up in the La Sal's. I didn't think it was that busy to the point of avoiding Moab. I did find it curious all the motorcycle riders dressed up like a mad-max movie. Rather entertaining......cops thought so too.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    I heard it was going to snow in the LA SALs this week. Any sign of the white stuff down there? Was going to Twe this weekend

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    You can check the shuttle companies, I can see the North faces of the mountains and they are clear. I think you'll be good. Plan for PM thunderstorms though.

mtbr member
    You can check the shuttle companies, I can see the North faces of the mountains and they are clear. I think you'll be good. Plan for PM thunderstorms though.
    SAM313, are you a local rider? We like to ride Mag7 with someone on Friday or Sat. (Sep. 23 and 24th). We have room to shuttle if local riders like to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Rode TWE on Saturday, and Mag7 today; conditions were perfect. There is a system moving in on 9/22, definite snow possibility up high (Burro). Mag7 should be fine, even if wet.

mtbr member
    Just an update. Rode TWE on Saturday... Couldn't have asked for better weather or conditions...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Rode TWE on Saturday, and Mag7 today; conditions were perfect. There is a system moving in on 9/22, definite snow possibility up high (Burro). Mag7 should be fine, even if wet.
    Thanks for the update, booked a shuttle for Burro Pass on Wednesday and Thursday morning, hopefully the bad weather holds off until Thursday night. Plan is to do Mag7 on Friday. Maybe do some fun easier trails on Wednesday and Thursday evening if weather permits. Heard Navajo Rocks, Klondike, Bar M trails are good as well. Too many trails to ride, too little time in Moab.

mtbr member
    How does it look in Moab right now? Weather channel shows thunderstorms. Would Shuttles still go to Burro Pass Wednesday morning, still a good chance?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    How does it look in Moab right now? Weather channel shows thunderstorms. Would Shuttles still go to Burro Pass Wednesday morning, still a good chance?
    Well it's clear and warm at the moment.....l but as far as Wednesday goes the weather channel is a better forcaster than I am it says PM thunderstorms and that is common this time of year, I would imagine the shuttle would run in the AM.....you could simply call them to check. I think we will be getting the residual of that storm hitting Mexico right now.
    Thanks for the ride invite but we have company coming this weekend otherwise I'd love to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    All this talk of snow doesn't look good for me. I won't get to Moab until Oct 8th. Getting a shuttle for the TWE looks bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith1 View Post
    All this talk of snow doesn't look good for me. I won't get to Moab until Oct 8th. Getting a shuttle for the TWE looks bad.
    ?
    KSL Weather Center | KSL.com
    In Park City, we MAY get snow above 9000 feet.....now they're saying above 6500 feet, but who knows.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 1 Week Ago at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Well it's clear and warm at the moment.....l but as far as Wednesday goes the weather channel is a better forcaster than I am it says PM thunderstorms and that is common this time of year, I would imagine the shuttle would run in the AM.....you could simply call them to check. I think we will be getting the residual of that storm hitting Mexico right now.
    Thanks for the ride invite but we have company coming this weekend otherwise I'd love to go!
    Thanks for this SAM313, I've been checking the weather channel every hour but it's good to know that the shuttles may still be running with PM thunderstorms.
    I'd still like to invite you for a ride Wednesday or Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, we enjoy riding with locals.
    What would be a good local trail btw for a couple hours in the afternoon/evening? Looking for the best trail after Enchilada and Mag7. No Amasa back please

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith1 View Post
    We'll be back in Moab on Oct. 13. We'll have a car and Van so can shuttle ourselves. Hit me up if you like to tag along for a ride or shuttle.

mtbr member
    My iphone weather is just showing clouds for tomorrow Sept 21st and windy Thursday Sept 22nd with some cooler temps then back to 70s and sunny through Tuesday next week. Hope it holds out as I'll be down there next week.

I know weather channel type forecasts can be wildly inaccurate for Moab though. You really have to look at a radar map and have some local knowledge of how storms develop there (according to my local friend hfly..... and he's pretty good at it).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We'll be back in Moab on Oct. 13. We'll have a car and Van so can shuttle ourselves. Hit me up if you like to tag along for a ride or shuttle.
    That might work out well. Just to let you know,I'm old and slow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    My iphone weather is just showing clouds for tomorrow Sept 21st and windy Thursday Sept 22nd with some cooler temps then back to 70s and sunny through Tuesday next week. Hope it holds out as I'll be down there next week.

I know weather channel type forecasts can be wildly inaccurate for Moab though. You really have to look at a radar map and have some local knowledge of how storms develop there (according to my local friend hfly..... and he's pretty good at it).
    Enchilada was in excellent shape today, started riding at Burro Pass yesterday and today. Cold at the top, bring a jacket. Crazy winds today on the trail! Looks like no snow or heavy thunderstorms in the forecast. Conditions look very good for next week, I think shuttles will still be running to Burro Pass for a while.

mtbr member
    Enchilada was in excellent shape today, started riding at Burro Pass yesterday and today. Cold at the top, bring a jacket. Crazy winds today on the trail! Looks like no snow or heavy thunderstorms in the forecast. Conditions look very good for next week, I think shuttles will still be running to Burro Pass for a while.
    Snow in the LaSalls last night and closed down Burro Pass, Hazard County and Kokopelli. Should be open in a few days again, call the shuttle companies for an update.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456