Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 296
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    40
    Rode Pipe Dream tonight after dark with lights, south to north. Another fantastic Moab gem! There was snow on probably 3/4 of the trail, a crusty thin layer very rideable with fat tires and I'd say even fine with a decent sized regular tire. My first time on Pipe Dream, really really fun. I confess I dabbed.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37
    Trail update?

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    87
    This thread is exactly what TraulHUB.org was created for. If someone in Moab could maintain the account everyone could know instantly about the trail conditions and even receive alerts by email or text if the wanted to setup their account that way. Best of all it is free to organizations and to users. It has been widely accepted in Vermont for mountain biking and other sports but has not spread around to other parts of the country very much yet. PM me if anyone is interested to learn more for Moab or other areas.

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37
    Website sounds cool. But anyway. Is anything dry and riding good in Moab?
    It's crap in GJ that's for sure.

  5. #205
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    Yes, Trailhub sounds a nice venture, but at this point definitely an East coast thing.

    So here in the old fashioned West......... Moab: upper trails still have a good bit of snow, mainly very crystally powder and this is over a base layer of ice across slickrock sections, fun downhill......off camber and uphill not so much

    Lower level, Klondike, Brand trails, Klonzo, still have snow on the North facing slopes intermixed with our famous brand of mud. Rideable on a fat bike, regular bikes will sink and gouge the trails.

    Some have mentioned that Amassa back is rideable, I haven't been out that way but it does get a fair amount of sun so that might be the best bet.

    Slickrock is miostly melted off but will have ice on the rock in shaded areas.

    As previously mentioned, check the Island in the Sky webcam, when no snow shows there everything below that is good to go.

  6. #206
    OMZ
    OMZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    This thread is exactly what TraulHUB.org was created for. If someone in Moab could maintain the account everyone could know instantly about the trail conditions and even receive alerts by email or text if the wanted to setup their account that way. Best of all it is free to organizations and to users. It has been widely accepted in Vermont for mountain biking and other sports but has not spread around to other parts of the country very much yet. PM me if anyone is interested to learn more for Moab or other areas.
    I think there are a lot of locals in MTB and skiing destinations who would rather not announce on the internet the minute conditions are prime, especially in the off season...

    Then again, you could probably always find some people who would be down.

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2

    Any updates on Moab trail conditions? Thinking of riding presidents weekend.

    Would at least slick rock and Amanda back be mostly snow free?
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Yes, Trailhub sounds a nice venture, but at this point definitely an East coast thing.

    So here in the old fashioned West......... Moab: upper trails still have a good bit of snow, mainly very crystally powder and this is over a base layer of ice across slickrock sections, fun downhill......off camber and uphill not so much

    Lower level, Klondike, Brand trails, Klonzo, still have snow on the North facing slopes intermixed with our famous brand of mud. Rideable on a fat bike, regular bikes will sink and gouge the trails.

    Some have mentioned that Amassa back is rideable, I haven't been out that way but it does get a fair amount of sun so that might be the best bet.

    Slickrock is miostly melted off but will have ice on the rock in shaded areas.

    As previously mentioned, check the Island in the Sky webcam, when no snow shows there everything below that is good to go.

  8. #208
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    215
    No, these trails will be mostly snowy right now. We had a good 6"+ of snow early in the week and it is cold. The sun is melting off south faces pretty well but it will be some time before the rest is mostly free of snow.

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,395
    As an FYI, there is a big snow year in the La Sals, 200% of normal, and that means The Whole Enchilada will probably not be rideable until June. There could be a really warm spring of course, but if you are doing long range planning, as of right now, I wouldn't plan on doing TWE in May. It could even be mid-late June before it opens up.

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    394
    We have a gorgeous weather stretch coming in for Southern Utah. Hotel reservation made!

  11. #211
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    215

    Slickrock

    Took a walk out at the practice loop today. Things are like 95% clear there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab Trail Conditions-20160211_133627.jpg  

    Moab Trail Conditions-20160211_133634.jpg  

    Moab Trail Conditions-20160211_133640.jpg  


  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Took a walk out at the practice loop today. Things are like 95% clear there.
    How's hymasa and ahab?

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Took a walk out at the practice loop today. Things are like 95% clear there.


    Thank you for your post!!! Planning to be in Moab this weekend and seeing a rideable trail made my day.

  14. #214
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gleeballs View Post
    How's hymasa and ahab?
    Hiked it yesterday with the pooches, the lower part of Hymasa is fairly melted off, up higher, and Ahab still have a good bit of snow. I'm guessing another week and they should be good as our temps are rising.

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    177
    I'm headed there too. This site says certain parts of Mag 7 are ok as well as amasa back. There's even a little map here:


    Trail Conditions! | Moab Mountain Bike Association

  16. #216
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    215
    Yeah, that link leads to out of date info - posted Feb 2014. Unfortunately, it is not being kept updated. Mag 7 and upper parts of Amasa will be snowy and/or muddy right now. Poison Spider's FB page is usually pretty good with updates but nothing from them lately. Rim Tours' FB page has a current post that shows someone's mud-covered legs and bike. As with anywhere, not too brilliant messing up trails that are not ready to ride!

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    115
    Hey now..I'm headed to park city Utah next month March18-23rd for some snowboarding first time visiting. I was wondering if there might be any trail riding possibly fat biking in late March or should i just stick to the snow.

  18. #218
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    Hey now..I'm headed to park city Utah next month March18-23rd for some snowboarding first time visiting. I was wondering if there might be any trail riding possibly fat biking in late March or should i just stick to the snow.
    You posted under the " Moab trail conditions"...... Are you asking about here or Park City? Our snow is just about melted off but you can ride a fat bike year round. I would imagine given our snow levels here this year that Park City would still have plenty of snow in March, probably still too deep to ride singletrack trails that aren't regularly used but if you post separately you'll probably get better responses from people in that area.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 29ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241
    Exciting to see some dirt! I'm going to Moab last weekend in February, and can't wait to get some more time on my 29+ instead of the fat bike. The forecast looks pretty promising.

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    489
    was there this weekend, still lots of snow on all north facing slopes and sloppy where the snow is melting, going to need at least a week or 2 of warm sunny temps for things to dry out completely...lower elevation stuff like Klondike is still a no go...everything that is south facing is dry but soon as you get on a north facing aspect it will be snow covered or sloppy.

  21. #221
    Team Livemedium
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    926
    I may be headed there in a week or so also. Watching this thread. Thanks for updates.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    62
    Slickrock, hymasa-ahab halfway, and white rim are dry. A couple muddy sections between mineral bottom and hardscrable on WR. Not too bad though. Schafer switchbacks are closed. Gemini bridges road is dry also. Not sure about mag 7, though it looked like folks were riding it.

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    78
    brand trails good to go. rode yesterday. thinking klonzo today

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    78
    klonzo good to go

  25. #225
    pedlr
    Reputation: moabman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    114
    Navajo rocks good to go

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    489
    ^thanks! anyone been out to Klondike area as of late? Particularity UFO, Mega Steps, Alaska, EKG, Dino Flow?

  27. #227
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    ^thanks! anyone been out to Klondike area as of late? Particularity UFO, Mega Steps, Alaska, EKG, Dino Flow?
    I heard EKG and a few others were good to go even last weekend. Not sure about the highest stuff but I would be willing to bet it's good.

  28. #228
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by beerisgood1 View Post
    klonzo good to go
    Thanks for the updates guys. Thinking about Klonzo Sunday am since we are still pretty limited in GJ/Fruita (basically most of Loma/Koko is now ok but nothing else).

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 29ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241
    Rode Klondike today- Mega steps, Alaska, Nome, EKG, Sidestep, Instep, a bit of baby steps, Miners loop, then back to the car on Dinoflow. I think I saw one piece of snow about the size of a turkey leg, and got one spot of mud on my shoe. So basically, the trails were in great condition today.

  30. #230
    yep
    Reputation: yboc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    126
    Hows the Amasa side looking?

    Also, I've never ridden Porcupine Rim any way other than the shuttle van. If I want to ride it but not shuttle, where's the best spot to park and ride up from?

    Thanks

  31. #231
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    Everything below the loop road is good to go. Amassa may have a few damp spots in shaded corners but the snow is mostly melted off at that elevation.

    RE: Porky- depending on your fitness you can ride up Sand Flats Rd. From town and cut over to the trail at several locations. You can ride up it from the bottom at Negro Bill canyon but unless you do it on a weekday you'll have a lot of mad people coming the other way when they have to stop their downhill run to yield to you

    The shuttle isn't much and sounds like the way you probably want to go.

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Everything below the loop road is good to go. Amassa may have a few damp spots in shaded corners but the snow is mostly melted off at that elevation.

    RE: Porky- depending on your fitness you can ride up Sand Flats Rd. From town and cut over to the trail at several locations. You can ride up it from the bottom at Negro Bill canyon but unless you do it on a weekday you'll have a lot of mad people coming the other way when they have to stop their downhill run to yield to you

    The shuttle isn't much and sounds like the way you probably want to go.
    Just to confirm, Denverite here, wondering if Porcupine Rim is good to go? I assume from your post it is good, but I didn't see any other posts explicitly stating it was clear of snow/mud.
    Thanks!

  33. #233
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    I have not specifically ridden Porc since the snow melted off. I can not see any below the loop road from town but would assume there are still spots near the top that face North in the shade. I wouldn't hesitate to go up and ride it. Probably a little snow and mud but very dry below 6000 ft.

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    437
    LPS and above has about 2-3 ft of snow on the trail

    the 1st entrance and 2nd entrance to porcupine rim are ok, plan on walking sections, the longest might be a 1/4 mile long, still snow and mud patches all the way to where the trail tops out at the rim, first 1-2 miles of trail

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    LPS and above has about 2-3 ft of snow on the trail

    the 1st entrance and 2nd entrance to porcupine rim are ok, plan on walking sections, the longest might be a 1/4 mile long, still snow and mud patches all the way to where the trail tops out at the rim, first 1-2 miles of trail
    What do you mean by 1st and 2nd entrance? Are talking about the different entries to the trail via Sandy Flats Road? Or are their different entrances to the trail once I've turned left off Sandy Flats as I near the top of the trail?

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    What do you mean by 1st and 2nd entrance? Are talking about the different entries to the trail via Sandy Flats Road? Or are their different entrances to the trail once I've turned left off Sandy Flats as I near the top of the trail?
    Nevermind. I think I see what you mean now. Keep going past the 1st entrance to Porcupine proper, to the 2nd entrance that is named PR East Trailhead on mtbproject?

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    What do you mean by 1st and 2nd entrance? Are talking about the different entries to the trail via Sandy Flats Road? Or are their different entrances to the trail once I've turned left off Sandy Flats as I near the top of the trail?
    usually like to puff a whole joint on that ride you'll figure it out enjoy

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,006
    Any new updates? I'm going to be in Moab next week and am wondering how things are looking.

    How far up Porcupine will the shuttles be running?

    Thanks!

  39. #239
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    Conditions have really deteriorated, there's no snow left and there's only packed dirt and slickrock to ride on.
    You can call one of the sjuttle companies to see ( Coyote or Poison Spider) but TWE won't be doable for several months, UPS down is probably good to go.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    493
    Hey guys, anyone want to ride?! Trying to get out there and riding wednesday the 6th and I'm free till saturday 9th. I'm bringing my all mountain rig so I'm open to shuttle and pedal. Trying to plan some shuttles with the rim tour and/or coyote shuttle. If you got a floor I could sleep on, I'd love ya forever! This will be my first time out there and bringing some camping stuff for last resort type stuff. Cheers!

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    How far is it possible to go up Porcupine? I am heading out to Moab this Friday and hoping to try and ride on this if at all possible.

  42. #242
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    You can ride it starting at the Loop Road. There may be a couple patches of snow left but nothing significant.

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    You can ride it starting at the Loop Road. There may be a couple patches of snow left but nothing significant.
    Thanks. How about the Whole Enchilada? Are you able to get very far up there and ride?

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    Thanks. How about the Whole Enchilada? Are you able to get very far up there and ride?
    there's still about a foot & a 1/2 of snow @ Warner Lake.
    breezy shade

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    there's still about a foot & a 1/2 of snow @ Warner Lake.
    OK, are you able to access the Whole Enchilada at a lower point and ride? Coming out there this weekend and looking for some of the must do rides. Even if we can only do some of the WF that sounds good.

  46. #246
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    TWE is a combination of a bunch of trails woven together. You can ride Kokopelli down to UPS from the loop road and follow that down all the way to the river. That's the lower portion of TWE. The next trail above the Loop Rd. is Hazard and that one would be closed as it starts at Warner Lake. Just check in with a shuttle cimpany and they'll take you as high as possible.

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    321
    Shuttled yesterday, Dropped off at UPS.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Michal740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    81
    I'll be heading to Moab on May 5th,but just noticed that Enduro race is going to take place on May 7th and will be ridden on Mag 7.
    Will Mag 7 be closed to public? I have a feeling its not going to be enjoyable to ride that day with lot of other people racing.

  49. #249
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206
    Yes, it will be closed the day of the race. In the past it has gone up Little Canyon, Arth's and Getaway to the top and then down Bull Run and Great Escape. The trails are only closed the day of the race and there are a lot if other places to ride nearby. Navajo Rocks is a good alternative or Seven Up and some if the Horsethief trails.

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Michal740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Yes, it will be closed the day of the race. In the past it has gone up Little Canyon, Arth's and Getaway to the top and then down Bull Run and Great Escape. The trails are only closed the day of the race and there are a lot if other places to ride nearby. Navajo Rocks is a good alternative or Seven Up and some if the Horsethief trails.
    Ok,thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking of riding Porcupine rim that day,but will check the ones you have suggested.Thanks

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •