Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ran in to the trail crew today.
    TrailMix, so it's sanctioned trail work.
    The crew has worked on the entirety of the last section of Porcupine singletrack now.
    It is now significantly easier, smoother, wider.
    Rock ramps everywhere, lots of boulders chiseled or moved.
    Crew member said that the work is being done in order to keep people on the trail and to stop the trail braiding and alternate lines from springing up around the formerly tech sections.
    The work is pretty in places, but the majority of what used to be tech and challenging for many riders is now much easier for all riders.
    Crew member said that they left the hard sections in place and didn't alter the harder tech lines, but I did not find that to be the case.
    Some people will likely love the new trail, others will certainly be bummed.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Taking the trail down to the lowest common denominator. We can't have nice stuff because others won't stay on the trail. Sheesh.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Natural technical terrain can't be built, it's either there or it's not. Moab needs to realize this and protect what they have.

addict
    WTF?!?! This is not ok, as well intentioned as it may be.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Ideally, the trail crews would leave the hard lines alone and create an easy alternate, so people aren't making a mess of trying to find an easier way down. Must be tough to make those decisions and lots of compromises end up being made.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nallacious View Post
    Ideally, the trail crews would leave the hard lines alone and create an easy alternate, so people aren't making a mess of trying to find an easier way down. Must be tough to make those decisions and lots of compromises end up being made.

It's more than that though. There's a dumb it down trend in Moab I've noticed over the past few years that has nothing to do with leaving hard lines while providing easier options. The Notch/Snotch is a good example. Even with another trail option all together, trail crews felt the need to dumb down the Notch?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Man this sux! Jackass canyon was the best. I know a lot like the UPS/LPS the most but I always favored the last couple of miles.

Come on guys, stop fouling up a trail everyone loves and use that energy for a new trail or two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    blah, this sucks...I've always looked forward to the technical finish, there are plenty of easy trails in Moab, stop messing with the classics

So when we start riding around the easy sections to find harder stuff are they going to build a technical trail?

why not just line the technical sections with logs and boulders to keep people on the trail...if you cant ride it get off your bike and walk!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've ridden Porc a few times from the Kokopelli drop, but never been able to get any higher on the count of snow. Me a few riding buds will be there the last week of May. What is the likelyhood upper elevations would be open?

I'm not familiar with the trails or drops above kokopelli.

mtbr member
    Trailbrain, I'm guessing Hazard should be open by then. It was last year. Get as high up as you can!

Paste eater

Moab Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Trailbrain, I'm guessing Hazard should be open by then. It was last year. Get as high up as you can!
    You might be right. Last year was an exceptionally dry year. This year was pretty average. That being said, we've had a fair amount of precip this spring. Very well could have snow up there today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Heading to Moab (Fri/Sat/Sun) to escape the snow here in Denver.
    The ski areas are basically all closed :-(
    Do we take the MTBs or the road bikes?
    Have you been getting much precip there this week?
    With a dry Wed & Thurs, should the trails be OK for the weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looking like i might be in moab may 4th/5th to ride. Will i be able to ride the whole enchilada? Is there a page that lists current trail conditions/status? I found tons of pages with general trail info/descriptions, but nothing regarding current conditions. I'm guessing the top isn't rideable until late summer. Even our "high" trails around here, at ~7,000' elevation are often not rideable until july or august. I'm hoping though! *fingers crossed*

Assuming it's not all open, how high will I be able to start?
    Last edited by TroyS600; 04-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Is there a page that lists current trail conditions/status?
    I'll be there about a week after you. I've been checking this: The Skid Map

I can't vouch for how accurate the information is and some of it is a couple of weeks old. Your best bet would be calling a shop (and buy a map from them when you get there).
    I'm hungry

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post

Assuming it's not all open, how high will I be able to start?
    Shuttles just started going to Kokopelli. It's possible that you might get Hazard. I have't been up to Koko yet, but to be honest looking up that way from town Hazard looks a ways off. Warmer weather is in the forecast for the rest of the week.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We're planning to climb Hazard for and out-n-back this weekend... anybody know how high we'll be able to climb?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    We're planning to climb Hazard for and out-n-back this weekend... anybody know how high we'll be able to climb?
    Then hazard bench still looks pretty white so I'd suspect not very far before you hit mud at least...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    How high were you able to get? I might do the same this weekend, and figuring with another week of sun and mid 80s for the next couple of days, I should get higher.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    How high were you able to get? I might do the same this weekend, and figuring with another week of sun and mid 80s for the next couple of days, I should get higher.
    As of 4/29 the mud/snow line is La Sal Mtn Road. Water was flowing down the Hazard trail at the highway (early AM). Give it a few weeks....dont trash the trail or your drivetrain. Koko down is dry, dusty, and fun.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    A quick note to all those who are terrified that they will absolutely slay the singletrack that Trail Mix worked on - You Won't. It's still challenging, in fact it looks as though they avoided the test pieces all together in favor of working on braided areas. I did notice two or three spots that were easier to ride but they were secondary features that weren't too difficult to begin with. Some of the sandy, grunty little ups have been reinforced to stop erosion. Noticable, but again, not the hardest spots to clean in the first place. The wash is still the wash, I couldn't detect any changes. Ride it tomorrow and be just as proud as if you rode it last year, it's still a neat trick.

In all, I would rate the work as A: Well Done (when I even noticed it) and B: Definitely keeps the rugged spirit and technical challenge of the trail intact.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    A quick note to all those who are terrified that they will absolutely slay the singletrack that Trail Mix worked on - You Won't. It's still challenging, in fact it looks as though they avoided the test pieces all together in favor of working on braided areas. I did notice two or three spots that were easier to ride but they were secondary features that weren't too difficult to begin with. Some of the sandy, grunty little ups have been reinforced to stop erosion. Noticable, but again, not the hardest spots to clean in the first place. The wash is still the wash, I couldn't detect any changes. Ride it tomorrow and be just as proud as if you rode it last year, it's still a neat trick.

In all, I would rate the work as A: Well Done (when I even noticed it) and B: Definitely keeps the rugged spirit and technical challenge of the trail intact.
    I'm with this guy. The reports of the death of Porcupine Singletrack were greatly exaggerated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Any news about the condition of Hazard? I will arrive at Moab tomorrow and hope to be able to start from Hazard when I go riding Porcupine during this week :-)

More Chasmism

No Hazard or Burro Soon

For anyone still nursing ideas of an early run down Hazard, or an earlier than normal opening of Burro, the following map will be a downer. SE Utah's mountains are now the highest percent above normal snowpack of any place in the entire western US.

Sure is great for the desert, though. Hero dirt abounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab Trail Conditions-snotswen.gif  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm back from my trip. Had a great time despite cool and showery weather during most of the visit. Not really wanting to start a ride in a thunder storm and rain meant pretty late starts on at least a couple of mornings. Didn't get as much riding in as i hoped but did get to witness some pretty neat weather.

While hiking in Negro Bill Canyon, a thunder storm let loose a deluge of skittle sized hail and then rain for 10 minutes or so. That led to a bunch of temporary waterfalls and streams cascading down the canyon walls and through the canyon floor to the main creek. The trail was flooded in many spots and we ended up hiking barefoot. It was a lot of fun.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It is really cool when the waterfalls pop up. Imagine your 10 minte shower lasting several hours - that is when people get into real trouble in the canyons. You can find some video of flash floods in the canyons on YouTube - you can't outrun them, and if you are in a place where you can't climb to safety = bad. The other weirdness that catches people who aren't familiar with the canyons is that some of the canyons are miles long, and you can get flooded even if it isn't raining where you are...I know a very experienced outdoorsman who had that happen - he knew better, but he didn't think there was any risk. He parked his truck in a bad spot for convenience while he hiked, and a few hours later it was up to the doors in a raging torrent full of rocks and trees, even though he didn't even get rained on.

Know the risks out there...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast