Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How far up lps ups.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey sorry to create zombie thread but.....

Would it be worth it to come out either this weekend or next week...I'd be coming from Colorado so I'm not worried about the cold I just don't want snow

What's good?

mtbr member
    This past week I have ridden Capt Ahab, Navajo, and Klonzo.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Formerly of Kent
    What usually stays open and clear longest around there?

I realize the likely answer is "it depends", but I'd assume that lower elevation trails are more likely to remain snow-free than the higher ones, and those with a southern aspect would as well.

Has anyone ever produced a map showing both elevation and aspect for the area? I'm a big GIS nerd and this seems like a great way to predict what is rideable.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I know this is just getting needy but do you guys think porcupine rim would be rideable and what about white rim

You guys are awesome thanks!!!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    With the exception if a little late rain forecast for Friday everything looks good with toasty temps in the low 50's there is residual snow on North facing slopes that are shaded. I would guess you would have a lot of patches on UPS but should be rideable. White Rim would be all clear but you do need a permit. It's dipping into the 20's at night but other than a little chill the riding is as good as ever.
    As for what's open..........everything if you ride a Fatbike :thumbs up
    The last couple Winters have been mild so there are very few days you wouldn't have been able to ride a skinny tired bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Some people might dislike me for this, but I'm using ArcMap 10.3 to generate a map of Moab's trails (using 10m DEM files) to predict what will most likely be dry or snow free. Generating aspect and solar radiation area files as I write this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Amasa & Rockstacker all good.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Some people might dislike me for this, but I'm using ArcMap 10.3 to generate a map of Moab's trails (using 10m DEM files) to predict what will most likely be dry or snow free. Generating aspect and solar radiation area files as I write this.

Sounds like a cool project! Why would anyone dislike you for doing that? Nevermind, rhetorical questions, just don't give them a copy....

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    Sounds like a cool project! Why would anyone dislike you for doing that? Nevermind, rhetorical questions, just don't give them a copy....
    Some people don't want additional out-of-towners on "their" trails. A map of most likely to be dry trails would be bad news.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    You can always just call a bike shop in town and ask whats rideable.

I know, I know....soooo 'first decade of the new millennium'.

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post

OMG, You sir are a GD Genius!!!!! LOL
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    [QUOTE=Le Duke;12351956]Some people don't want additional out-of-towners on "their" trails.

^^^^

Some people are *******s, I have never ran into this. Its always been with open arms!
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post

That's always a good option, too.

However, I recognize the "limitations" of any model of data collection. Most notably, if no one has actually been out on a trail, there is no way of collecting data first hand.

Given the sheer number of trails and trail miles in Moab, this is a legitimate concern. People can give you their "best guess", based on prior experience. But, more data is never a bad thing, IME. Thus, the use of remote sensing and modeling as I'm doing here.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Rode up Porcupine Rim from the river two days ago. Started seeing patches of snow in shady areas on the sandy singletrack section just below LPS. We turned around due to time but suspect you could have reached LPS.

Tigers love pepper...
    Some snowy patches up at Navajo Rocks Yesterday but fine for the most part. I only remember one or two small spots of mud in 17 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bump. I'm thinking about an impromptu quick day and a half down there Sunday. Weather looks really good.

Sure-fire good trail suggestions are welcome, please.

Thanks.

pedlr
    I saw photos of a guy riding amassa today. basically clear of snow. disregard all previous reports, it snowed heavily 2 days ago.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    ^^^^^^^

We had 6" + at our house in town, there was more at higher elevations. Most of it has melted off as of today but any trails with North facing slopes are going to have a lot of residual. Everything's a " go" on a fatbike 😊

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    ^^^^^^^

We had 6" + at our house in town, there was more at higher elevations. Most of it has melted off as of today but any trails with North facing slopes are going to have a lot of residual. Everything's a " go" on a fatbike 😊
    I'm assuming rock stacker, jackson's will still have snow this weekend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'll chime in again Saturday and see if it's worth the trip from SLC. I just want a good day and a half of miles I can put in.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Rockstacker and Jackson don't get alot of sun this time of year, they are probably still snow and ice and I'd pass on them. Klondike and Mag 7, trails North of town get more sun and I'd look to ride out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any idea how things are looking after the (little bit, from looking at the weather?) snow yesterday?

Headed down tomorrow to stay for a few days, would love to get some pedalling in if possible, if it's do-able I might even try to hit Carosel @ Klonzo w/ my 4 year old...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    We had a few more inches of snow yesterday, 3 to 4 in town, more at higher elevations. Temps are in the 20's so Im not expecting it to melt off fast. Perfect conditions on a Fat bike. Brand trails might melt off a bit but they get really muddy.

Perpetual n00b
    Last night
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    ^^ Looks like aliens are trying to abduct your bike!

Formerly of Kent
    Any updates?

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    4 to 8 inches of snow at 4500 feet, much more above that. Bar M trails have residual but I'm guessing they are very muddy even where its melted off. Klondike might be the brst bet as it gets full sun for a good part of the day.
    On a fat bike its all open........

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    4 to 8 inches of snow at 4500 feet, much more above that. Bar M trails have residual but I'm guessing they are very muddy even where its melted off. Klondike might be the brst bet as it gets full sun for a good part of the day.
    How's amasa back looking

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gleeballs View Post
    How's amasa back looking
    I haven't been down that way but I can see a good bit of snow at the Portal so I would guess there is residual snow several inches deep in spots that aren't getting sun.

Monkey Wrangler
    Sam, I am planning on bringing my fat bike to Moab this spring for my annual pilgrimage. What tires do you recommend? I'm thinking just some Vee Missions because they are cheap. I would like to save my winter tires if I can.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I've been running Hudu's year round and love the performance in dry conditions. That said, I've been riding deeper snow this year than last and am getting some slippage on climbs so I'm going to give the Vanhelgas a roll for the rest of our Winter and compare the difference. I don't weigh a lot so I think the Hudu's perform better for me than most but I'm willing to give up some rolling performance for better climb traction over obstacles.
    If this year is anything like last year our snow will be melted off and we will have full sunny days by February so I don't think you can go wrong with Hudu's.
    If conditions are dry you will want a high traction tire for steep slickrock climbs, on a fat bike you can climb anything.

If I stick with the Vanhelgas I might have a slightly used set of Hudu's for sale when you get here

Monkey Wrangler
    Thanks for the report!! Keep me posted on those Hudu's!

Tigers love pepper...
    We got about 3" of crazy wet snow in GJ last night. How bout you guys? Doesn't seem like you got hit. Anything northernly like Klondike, Klonzo or Sovereign gonna be rideable if we wanna sneak across the border this weekend for a quickie?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    We got nuthin...... It was warmer yesterday and light rain melted everything off. We were going to go skating on the slough today but it has returned to water. There are still patches around town so I would guess anything higher than the hwy 191 area trails will still have a good bit of snow. Again, Klondike looks like the best bet if your riding anything but a Fat bike.

Tigers love pepper...
    We got nuthin...... It was warmer yesterday and light rain melted everything off. We were going to go skating on the slough today but it has returned to water. There are still patches around town so I would guess anything higher than the hwy 191 area trails will still have a good bit of snow. Again, Klondike looks like the best bet if your riding anything but a Fat bike.
    Thanks Sam. Now just need to convince the wife.

Tigers love pepper...
    Klondike is not quite ready. I wouldnt recommend sending anyone else that way yet, especially if temps get over about 25 until it has a chance to dry out more. I was first tracks (other than a couple hikers) out there since your last snowfall.

Did Dinoflow, headed up Baby Steps, had to turn around a few hundred yards into Inside Step as I didn't want to destroy my bike or your trails. Came back via EKG. I turned around about 10:30 and it was getting sloppy by the time I came off EKG back onto that last tiny bit of Dino. Said it was 30 when I got back. Needs more time.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Sorry you got mudded out. I suffered the same fate driving into some hiking trails. 10 minutes of power washing to uncoat my Jeep. Trails at higher elevations have more sand and less clay and stay rideable, unfortunately right now they still have a good bit of snow. Might be time to upgrade to a fat bike, especially living in Co.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I always look at the Island in the Sky webcam to see how it's looking weather wise.

Tigers love pepper...
    Sorry you got mudded out. I suffered the same fate driving into some hiking trails. 10 minutes of power washing to uncoat my Jeep. Trails at higher elevations have more sand and less clay and stay rideable, unfortunately right now they still have a good bit of snow. Might be time to upgrade to a fat bike, especially living in Co.
    No worries, beautiful drive into Moab by myself. Sometimes just nice to go out by yourself and see nobody. Just me and the cattle out there yesterday. Besides, I still got some decent riding in. Looks like I shoulda drove a little further in and hit Amasa or something. Saw other GJ folks post pictures from there and it looked good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm here all week with fat bike in tow. What's my best bet? Thanks.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
    I'm here all week with fat bike in tow. What's my best bet? Thanks.
    I guess it's a matter of how much snow you'd like to ride in. I've been out riding the Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 areas where the upper reaches have 6-8" of snow but that was a few days ago and I suspect a bit has melted off. I'm headed to Mag 7 today.
    You could also head up into the mountains and ride up Geyser Pass, it has several incges of snow and hasn't been graded in a bit because San Juan County decided they weren't going to do it anymore......politics at work now. Looks to be a sunny day so I don't think you could go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I guess it's a matter of how much snow you'd like to ride in. I've been out riding the Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 areas where the upper reaches have 6-8" of snow but that was a few days ago and I suspect a bit has melted off. I'm headed to Mag 7 today.
    You could also head up into the mountains and ride up Geyser Pass, it has several incges of snow and hasn't been graded in a bit because San Juan County decided they weren't going to do it anymore......politics at work now. Looks to be a sunny day so I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    Please update post ride!

If I can make a loop on Mag7 or Amasa Back I'll be heading out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to have a link to helpful geyser pass info? I see a bunch if info and that it's the first section of the whole enchilada. If I'm limited to just 1.5-2 hrs late afternoon/early eve (I have lights) what do you recommend?

What about Brand trails? Mush and mud?

Thanks

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Please update post ride!

If I can make a loop on Mag7 or Amasa Back I'll be heading out this weekend.
    The snow on upper Mag 7 had 4-6 inches more powder on top of what I rode last week. It was slow going. I'm on 4" tires, 5's might have a better go of it, but there's a track down now

If you rode up from the bottom of Gemini I think a loop on the lower trails will be doable by the weekend or you can ride the upper trails and expand your expletive vocabulary as I did..........

No info on Amassa Back, I would guess the shaded areas would stilll have 4" + of snow.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to have a link to helpful geyser pass info? I see a bunch if info and that it's the first section of the whole enchilada. If I'm limited to just 1.5-2 hrs late afternoon/early eve (I have lights) what do you recommend?

What about Brand trails? Mush and mud?

Thanks
    Yes, the Brand trails will be mainly mush and mud. Its going to take you about 40 minutes to get up to the bottom of Geyser Pass Rd. It goes off the loop Rd. Just prior to Oowah Lake as you go up from the South end. You can ride up from the bottom as far as you'd like, it will be an easy evening ride with lights. The prettier part is up about five miles and then you're riding through the aspens and pines but it sounds like time may not let you get there. 4WD is probably needed too once you turn off the loop Rd.

You might try Pipe Dream, not very scenic but it should fit your time requirements and the snow shouldnt be too bad over there. I hiked it Christmas day and it would have been easily rideable. We've had some snow since but there is a parallel 4WD rd., you can always bail out to that where there should be easier pedaling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Attempted to ride Navajo Rocks tonight on my fatbike with lights. Conditions were decent -- still a fair bit of snow and also plenty of exposed slickrock. My first time up there so was fairly cautious being alone at night. From the parking lot, I made it only about 1-1.5 miles before the blazes were lost to snow and the tracks stopped. I wasn't gonna push it so ended up circling back, playing around a bit, heading up the first section of Mesa. Overall really nice and plenty fun but obviously suboptimal given that loss of the trail. Nevertheless, I was diggin the fatbike on the rock and snow.

Good idea re Pipedream. Might try that tomorrow eve. I got another suggestion for a post-work ride to pedal up Sand Flats road and turn left onto Fins-n-things then back into slickrock and the practice loop. Also might hit up Brand trails very early in the morning (like 6 am) when still frozen. TBD.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Fins and Things and the practice loop get a lot of ice under the snow on the slickrock making them a little treacherous..... You can ride up Sand Flats and cut over to Fins and Things a couple miles up and if you ride the upper portion of the trail ( North side of the road) it is more sand and rock than slickrock climbs and should be rideable. Even riding just up Sand Flats would be a nice relaxing sunset ride.
    Have a great visit

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Unexpectedly freed up this afternoon and road Amasa Back. Capital P Perfect conditions, both weather and trails! Man, that trail and the views and Ahab blow my mind every time I ride there. A bit of snow here and there, mostly on Pothole but barely any. Skipped Rockstacker and Jackson so can't comment on those.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast