Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 302
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    40
    Rode Pipe Dream tonight after dark with lights, south to north. Another fantastic Moab gem! There was snow on probably 3/4 of the trail, a crusty thin layer very rideable with fat tires and I'd say even fine with a decent sized regular tire. My first time on Pipe Dream, really really fun. I confess I dabbed.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37
    Trail update?

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    103
    This thread is exactly what TraulHUB.org was created for. If someone in Moab could maintain the account everyone could know instantly about the trail conditions and even receive alerts by email or text if the wanted to setup their account that way. Best of all it is free to organizations and to users. It has been widely accepted in Vermont for mountain biking and other sports but has not spread around to other parts of the country very much yet. PM me if anyone is interested to learn more for Moab or other areas.

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37
    Website sounds cool. But anyway. Is anything dry and riding good in Moab?
    It's crap in GJ that's for sure.

  5. #205
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Yes, Trailhub sounds a nice venture, but at this point definitely an East coast thing.

    So here in the old fashioned West......... Moab: upper trails still have a good bit of snow, mainly very crystally powder and this is over a base layer of ice across slickrock sections, fun downhill......off camber and uphill not so much

    Lower level, Klondike, Brand trails, Klonzo, still have snow on the North facing slopes intermixed with our famous brand of mud. Rideable on a fat bike, regular bikes will sink and gouge the trails.

    Some have mentioned that Amassa back is rideable, I haven't been out that way but it does get a fair amount of sun so that might be the best bet.

    Slickrock is miostly melted off but will have ice on the rock in shaded areas.

    As previously mentioned, check the Island in the Sky webcam, when no snow shows there everything below that is good to go.

  6. #206
    OMZ
    OMZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    This thread is exactly what TraulHUB.org was created for. If someone in Moab could maintain the account everyone could know instantly about the trail conditions and even receive alerts by email or text if the wanted to setup their account that way. Best of all it is free to organizations and to users. It has been widely accepted in Vermont for mountain biking and other sports but has not spread around to other parts of the country very much yet. PM me if anyone is interested to learn more for Moab or other areas.
    I think there are a lot of locals in MTB and skiing destinations who would rather not announce on the internet the minute conditions are prime, especially in the off season...

    Then again, you could probably always find some people who would be down.

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2

    Any updates on Moab trail conditions? Thinking of riding presidents weekend.

    Would at least slick rock and Amanda back be mostly snow free?
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Yes, Trailhub sounds a nice venture, but at this point definitely an East coast thing.

    So here in the old fashioned West......... Moab: upper trails still have a good bit of snow, mainly very crystally powder and this is over a base layer of ice across slickrock sections, fun downhill......off camber and uphill not so much

    Lower level, Klondike, Brand trails, Klonzo, still have snow on the North facing slopes intermixed with our famous brand of mud. Rideable on a fat bike, regular bikes will sink and gouge the trails.

    Some have mentioned that Amassa back is rideable, I haven't been out that way but it does get a fair amount of sun so that might be the best bet.

    Slickrock is miostly melted off but will have ice on the rock in shaded areas.

    As previously mentioned, check the Island in the Sky webcam, when no snow shows there everything below that is good to go.

  8. #208
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    223
    No, these trails will be mostly snowy right now. We had a good 6"+ of snow early in the week and it is cold. The sun is melting off south faces pretty well but it will be some time before the rest is mostly free of snow.

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    As an FYI, there is a big snow year in the La Sals, 200% of normal, and that means The Whole Enchilada will probably not be rideable until June. There could be a really warm spring of course, but if you are doing long range planning, as of right now, I wouldn't plan on doing TWE in May. It could even be mid-late June before it opens up.

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    474
    We have a gorgeous weather stretch coming in for Southern Utah. Hotel reservation made!

  11. #211
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    223

    Slickrock

    Took a walk out at the practice loop today. Things are like 95% clear there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab Trail Conditions-20160211_133627.jpg  

    Moab Trail Conditions-20160211_133634.jpg  

    Moab Trail Conditions-20160211_133640.jpg  


  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Took a walk out at the practice loop today. Things are like 95% clear there.
    How's hymasa and ahab?

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Took a walk out at the practice loop today. Things are like 95% clear there.


    Thank you for your post!!! Planning to be in Moab this weekend and seeing a rideable trail made my day.

  14. #214
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gleeballs View Post
    How's hymasa and ahab?
    Hiked it yesterday with the pooches, the lower part of Hymasa is fairly melted off, up higher, and Ahab still have a good bit of snow. I'm guessing another week and they should be good as our temps are rising.

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    177
    I'm headed there too. This site says certain parts of Mag 7 are ok as well as amasa back. There's even a little map here:


    Trail Conditions! | Moab Mountain Bike Association

  16. #216
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    223
    Yeah, that link leads to out of date info - posted Feb 2014. Unfortunately, it is not being kept updated. Mag 7 and upper parts of Amasa will be snowy and/or muddy right now. Poison Spider's FB page is usually pretty good with updates but nothing from them lately. Rim Tours' FB page has a current post that shows someone's mud-covered legs and bike. As with anywhere, not too brilliant messing up trails that are not ready to ride!

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    135
    Hey now..I'm headed to park city Utah next month March18-23rd for some snowboarding first time visiting. I was wondering if there might be any trail riding possibly fat biking in late March or should i just stick to the snow.

  18. #218
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    Hey now..I'm headed to park city Utah next month March18-23rd for some snowboarding first time visiting. I was wondering if there might be any trail riding possibly fat biking in late March or should i just stick to the snow.
    You posted under the " Moab trail conditions"...... Are you asking about here or Park City? Our snow is just about melted off but you can ride a fat bike year round. I would imagine given our snow levels here this year that Park City would still have plenty of snow in March, probably still too deep to ride singletrack trails that aren't regularly used but if you post separately you'll probably get better responses from people in that area.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 29ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    245
    Exciting to see some dirt! I'm going to Moab last weekend in February, and can't wait to get some more time on my 29+ instead of the fat bike. The forecast looks pretty promising.

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    627
    was there this weekend, still lots of snow on all north facing slopes and sloppy where the snow is melting, going to need at least a week or 2 of warm sunny temps for things to dry out completely...lower elevation stuff like Klondike is still a no go...everything that is south facing is dry but soon as you get on a north facing aspect it will be snow covered or sloppy.

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    999
    I may be headed there in a week or so also. Watching this thread. Thanks for updates.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    68
    Slickrock, hymasa-ahab halfway, and white rim are dry. A couple muddy sections between mineral bottom and hardscrable on WR. Not too bad though. Schafer switchbacks are closed. Gemini bridges road is dry also. Not sure about mag 7, though it looked like folks were riding it.

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    79
    brand trails good to go. rode yesterday. thinking klonzo today

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    79
    klonzo good to go

  25. #225
    pedlr
    Reputation: moabman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    123
    Navajo rocks good to go

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    627
    ^thanks! anyone been out to Klondike area as of late? Particularity UFO, Mega Steps, Alaska, EKG, Dino Flow?

  27. #227
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    ^thanks! anyone been out to Klondike area as of late? Particularity UFO, Mega Steps, Alaska, EKG, Dino Flow?
    I heard EKG and a few others were good to go even last weekend. Not sure about the highest stuff but I would be willing to bet it's good.

  28. #228
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by beerisgood1 View Post
    klonzo good to go
    Thanks for the updates guys. Thinking about Klonzo Sunday am since we are still pretty limited in GJ/Fruita (basically most of Loma/Koko is now ok but nothing else).

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 29ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    245
    Rode Klondike today- Mega steps, Alaska, Nome, EKG, Sidestep, Instep, a bit of baby steps, Miners loop, then back to the car on Dinoflow. I think I saw one piece of snow about the size of a turkey leg, and got one spot of mud on my shoe. So basically, the trails were in great condition today.

  30. #230
    yep
    Reputation: yboc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    127
    Hows the Amasa side looking?

    Also, I've never ridden Porcupine Rim any way other than the shuttle van. If I want to ride it but not shuttle, where's the best spot to park and ride up from?

    Thanks

  31. #231
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Everything below the loop road is good to go. Amassa may have a few damp spots in shaded corners but the snow is mostly melted off at that elevation.

    RE: Porky- depending on your fitness you can ride up Sand Flats Rd. From town and cut over to the trail at several locations. You can ride up it from the bottom at Negro Bill canyon but unless you do it on a weekday you'll have a lot of mad people coming the other way when they have to stop their downhill run to yield to you

    The shuttle isn't much and sounds like the way you probably want to go.

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Everything below the loop road is good to go. Amassa may have a few damp spots in shaded corners but the snow is mostly melted off at that elevation.

    RE: Porky- depending on your fitness you can ride up Sand Flats Rd. From town and cut over to the trail at several locations. You can ride up it from the bottom at Negro Bill canyon but unless you do it on a weekday you'll have a lot of mad people coming the other way when they have to stop their downhill run to yield to you

    The shuttle isn't much and sounds like the way you probably want to go.
    Just to confirm, Denverite here, wondering if Porcupine Rim is good to go? I assume from your post it is good, but I didn't see any other posts explicitly stating it was clear of snow/mud.
    Thanks!

  33. #233
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    I have not specifically ridden Porc since the snow melted off. I can not see any below the loop road from town but would assume there are still spots near the top that face North in the shade. I wouldn't hesitate to go up and ride it. Probably a little snow and mud but very dry below 6000 ft.

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    474
    LPS and above has about 2-3 ft of snow on the trail

    the 1st entrance and 2nd entrance to porcupine rim are ok, plan on walking sections, the longest might be a 1/4 mile long, still snow and mud patches all the way to where the trail tops out at the rim, first 1-2 miles of trail

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    LPS and above has about 2-3 ft of snow on the trail

    the 1st entrance and 2nd entrance to porcupine rim are ok, plan on walking sections, the longest might be a 1/4 mile long, still snow and mud patches all the way to where the trail tops out at the rim, first 1-2 miles of trail
    What do you mean by 1st and 2nd entrance? Are talking about the different entries to the trail via Sandy Flats Road? Or are their different entrances to the trail once I've turned left off Sandy Flats as I near the top of the trail?

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    What do you mean by 1st and 2nd entrance? Are talking about the different entries to the trail via Sandy Flats Road? Or are their different entrances to the trail once I've turned left off Sandy Flats as I near the top of the trail?
    Nevermind. I think I see what you mean now. Keep going past the 1st entrance to Porcupine proper, to the 2nd entrance that is named PR East Trailhead on mtbproject?

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    What do you mean by 1st and 2nd entrance? Are talking about the different entries to the trail via Sandy Flats Road? Or are their different entrances to the trail once I've turned left off Sandy Flats as I near the top of the trail?
    usually like to puff a whole joint on that ride you'll figure it out enjoy

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,296
    Any new updates? I'm going to be in Moab next week and am wondering how things are looking.

    How far up Porcupine will the shuttles be running?

    Thanks!

  39. #239
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Conditions have really deteriorated, there's no snow left and there's only packed dirt and slickrock to ride on.
    You can call one of the sjuttle companies to see ( Coyote or Poison Spider) but TWE won't be doable for several months, UPS down is probably good to go.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    589
    Hey guys, anyone want to ride?! Trying to get out there and riding wednesday the 6th and I'm free till saturday 9th. I'm bringing my all mountain rig so I'm open to shuttle and pedal. Trying to plan some shuttles with the rim tour and/or coyote shuttle. If you got a floor I could sleep on, I'd love ya forever! This will be my first time out there and bringing some camping stuff for last resort type stuff. Cheers!

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    How far is it possible to go up Porcupine? I am heading out to Moab this Friday and hoping to try and ride on this if at all possible.

  42. #242
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    You can ride it starting at the Loop Road. There may be a couple patches of snow left but nothing significant.

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    You can ride it starting at the Loop Road. There may be a couple patches of snow left but nothing significant.
    Thanks. How about the Whole Enchilada? Are you able to get very far up there and ride?

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    Thanks. How about the Whole Enchilada? Are you able to get very far up there and ride?
    there's still about a foot & a 1/2 of snow @ Warner Lake.
    breezy shade

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    there's still about a foot & a 1/2 of snow @ Warner Lake.
    OK, are you able to access the Whole Enchilada at a lower point and ride? Coming out there this weekend and looking for some of the must do rides. Even if we can only do some of the WF that sounds good.

  46. #246
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    TWE is a combination of a bunch of trails woven together. You can ride Kokopelli down to UPS from the loop road and follow that down all the way to the river. That's the lower portion of TWE. The next trail above the Loop Rd. is Hazard and that one would be closed as it starts at Warner Lake. Just check in with a shuttle cimpany and they'll take you as high as possible.

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357
    Shuttled yesterday, Dropped off at UPS.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Michal740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    81
    I'll be heading to Moab on May 5th,but just noticed that Enduro race is going to take place on May 7th and will be ridden on Mag 7.
    Will Mag 7 be closed to public? I have a feeling its not going to be enjoyable to ride that day with lot of other people racing.

  49. #249
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Yes, it will be closed the day of the race. In the past it has gone up Little Canyon, Arth's and Getaway to the top and then down Bull Run and Great Escape. The trails are only closed the day of the race and there are a lot if other places to ride nearby. Navajo Rocks is a good alternative or Seven Up and some if the Horsethief trails.

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Michal740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Yes, it will be closed the day of the race. In the past it has gone up Little Canyon, Arth's and Getaway to the top and then down Bull Run and Great Escape. The trails are only closed the day of the race and there are a lot if other places to ride nearby. Navajo Rocks is a good alternative or Seven Up and some if the Horsethief trails.
    Ok,thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking of riding Porcupine rim that day,but will check the ones you have suggested.Thanks

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7
    Is the Enduro on Mag 7, or does this suggest Klondike?

    2016 SCOTT Enduro Cup Moab, May 7

    2016 course info: Klondike Bluffs trail system

  52. #252
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    OK, are you able to access the Whole Enchilada at a lower point and ride? Coming out there this weekend and looking for some of the must do rides. Even if we can only do some of the WF that sounds good.
    so, how was it?
    breezy shade

  53. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    70
    Hi, Planning to ride the Whole Echilada Saturday, Ahabs Sunday, and Mag 7 Monday. Does anyone see any issue with this due to trail conditions? Last time I did this was in Jly and it was hot as balls but everything was rideable. Thx a lot.

  54. #254
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    223
    The top sections of TWE are not open because of snow/mud. Right now the shuttles are going to Kokopelli. Other trails you mention are not a problem.

  55. #255
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,002
    Quote Originally Posted by knightrider81 View Post
    Hi, Planning to ride the Whole Echilada Saturday, Ahabs Sunday, and Mag 7 Monday. Does anyone see any issue with this due to trail conditions? Last time I did this was in Jly and it was hot as balls but everything was rideable. Thx a lot.
    Yup. TWE will not be available due to snow. Check with local shops - you may be able to do Hazard -> down.

  56. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    70
    Thank you both!

  57. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    20
    Hey guys...heading down for memorial day, looking to do some riding...a bit more enduro oriented kinda deal...Ahabs is on the list. Basically I could care less about going up or across...dont mind doing it but just like going down.

    Beyond that, any recommendations on things we should try to hit that are a bit more gravity oriented? In and outs with solid decent ,etc...

  58. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,647
    Quote Originally Posted by hothb View Post
    Hey guys...heading down for memorial day, looking to do some riding...a bit more enduro oriented kinda deal...Ahabs is on the list. Basically I could care less about going up or across...dont mind doing it but just like going down.

    Beyond that, any recommendations on things we should try to hit that are a bit more gravity oriented? In and outs with solid decent ,etc...
    Ahab is great, but it's not all down, especially the upper part.... and you do have to climb to get to it. Best bet for (mostly) down is to grab a shuttle for Kokopelli->UPS->LPS->Porcupine Rim.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  59. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    I'll be rolling into Moab on Memorial day and staying though the next weekend. The only things on my to do list really is Ahab. The IMBA designer who did the work on it also helped us out with rock placement out here on one of the trails I maintain in the PacNW and want to see his work.

    So, other than climb Hymasa/ride Ahab, and take a bike shop shuttle as far up the enchilada as conditions allow, what *really* should an experienced, loves to go fast, loves technical riding person ride.

    I'm happy to pay for shuttles but I'll be visiting alone so no way to count on a friendly lift.

  60. #260
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    I'll be rolling into Moab on Memorial day and staying though the next weekend. The only things on my to do list really is Ahab. The IMBA designer who did the work on it also helped us out with rock placement out here on one of the trails I maintain in the PacNW and want to see his work.

    So, other than climb Hymasa/ride Ahab, and take a bike shop shuttle as far up the enchilada as conditions allow, what *really* should an experienced, loves to go fast, loves technical riding person ride.

    I'm happy to pay for shuttles but I'll be visiting alone so no way to count on a friendly lift.
    Portal. If you like fast/tech, you'll like Portal. Either loop with Poison Spider, shuttle Mag-7 and finish with Portal (big day) or push your bike up Portal then ride down.

  61. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,647
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Portal. If you like fast/tech, you'll like Portal. Either loop with Poison Spider, shuttle Mag-7 and finish with Portal (big day) or push your bike up Portal then ride down.
    Yep, Mag 7 to Gold Bar Rim ST to Portal is probably my favorite (legal) ride in Moab and I like all the stuff you listed.

    While in the Ahab/Amasa area you should also do Rock Stacker to Jacksons.

    Might also check out Dave's Trail for a short, fun DH off The Slick Rock area back into town.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  62. #262
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,002
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Yep, Mag 7 to Gold Bar Rim ST to Portal is probably my favorite (legal) ride in Moab and I like all the stuff you listed.

    While in the Ahab/Amasa area you should also do Rock Stacker to Jacksons.
    Pro-tip - do Ahab BEFORE Rockstacker. There is a surprising amount of climbing from the road to get to the top of Ahab and you'll be glad to have that climbing out of the way and finish with Rockstacker/Jackson's. We made the mistake of Rockstacker then back up to the saddle & Ahab to finish. I was knackered at teh top of Ahab.

  63. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Does anyone knows what Hazard County looks like at the moment? Is it far from being rideable or good to be open by next week possibly?

    Same for Burro Pass, anyone checked it out to see what it looks like? How far away are we from being open?

  64. #264
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Does anyone knows what Hazard County looks like at the moment? Is it far from being rideable or good to be open by next week possibly?

    Same for Burro Pass, anyone checked it out to see what it looks like? How far away are we from being open?
    Well, from town it appears that the snow level is above Warner lake do Zi would think Hazard is clear, but the road up is gated by the Forest Service and may not be open yet if it's still wet and driving it might damage the road. Burro is definitely still closed. Your best bet for accurate estimates are from the shuttle companies that have the most interest in getting as high as they can. I'd call one of them, I think your looking at late June before the enchilada opens.

  65. #265
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Well, from town it appears that the snow level is above Warner lake do Zi would think Hazard is clear, but the road up is gated by the Forest Service and may not be open yet if it's still wet and driving it might damage the road. Burro is definitely still closed. Your best bet for accurate estimates are from the shuttle companies that have the most interest in getting as high as they can. I'd call one of them, I think your looking at late June before the enchilada opens.
    Thanks! What if we park the car at the gate towards Hazard, and ride our bikes up towards the Hazard trailhead and start from there, would that be possible? Or would Hazard be still too muddy to ride down next week?

  66. #266
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Thanks! What if we park the car at the gate towards Hazard, and ride our bikes up towards the Hazard trailhead and start from there, would that be possible? Or would Hazard be still too muddy to ride down next week?
    I can't answer that with any surety as I haven't been up there lately.I've ridden up to the lake in the snow I wouldn't hesitate to try making it on a bike, I think that's probably doable, it should still be pretty wet though. I had a friend come down from a weeks stay at that altitude and she said nighttime temps were down in the mid 20's still.

  67. #267
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Thanks! What if we park the car at the gate towards Hazard, and ride our bikes up towards the Hazard trailhead and start from there, would that be possible? Or would Hazard be still too muddy to ride down next week?
    The safe way to get as much of Hazard as is practical - park where Hazard ends and hits the road. Climb hazard until conditions warrant turning around.

  68. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    We are headed to moab for the next week with some family members that are intermediate to upper intermediate level as far as mtb skill and fitness. They are poor college students with pretty old hand me down xc bikes, but we will rent for them if it is a big ride day. I was thinking of the TWE, Kokopelli down, but am a little worried that Porcupine Rim would be too much. Mag 7 sounds good except the Portal part, (I'm not a fan of trails with extreme exposure). We are open to riding shuttles but prefer riding loops or down hills with climbs. I'm sure they could handle trails with hard technical parts, but I want to avoid ending up on trails where they have to hike a bike more then they ride.... or worse hurt themselves. We are planning on going to a shop to get some ideas, but looking for ride ideas especially ones that might not be suggested as often as the ones I've listed.
    thanks in advance.

  69. #269
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by otter12 View Post
    We are headed to moab for the next week with some family members that are intermediate to upper intermediate level as far as mtb skill and fitness. They are poor college students with pretty old hand me down xc bikes, but we will rent for them if it is a big ride day. I was thinking of the TWE, Kokopelli down, but am a little worried that Porcupine Rim would be too much. Mag 7 sounds good except the Portal part, (I'm not a fan of trails with extreme exposure). We are open to riding shuttles but prefer riding loops or down hills with climbs. I'm sure they could handle trails with hard technical parts, but I want to avoid ending up on trails where they have to hike a bike more then they ride.... or worse hurt themselves. We are planning on going to a shop to get some ideas, but looking for ride ideas especially ones that might not be suggested as often as the ones I've listed.
    thanks in advance.
    Check out MOAB brand trails, klonzo, Klondike, Navajo rocks. Mostly loops, mostly intermediate riding. You don't have to shuttle any of those. Porcupine rim is much more enjoyable on a full suspension bike. The portal can be avoided on the mag 7 trail. Most folks go out the Gemini bridges road down to hwy 191 instead of gold bar rim-portal.

  70. #270
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ilanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    63
    I'd recommend Navajo Rocks and the Intrepid Trail (at Deadhorse Point SP - you have to pay $10 to get in, and there is basically one trail only, but it's a nice area with great views) as enjoyable loop trails for intermediate riders. Not a lot of exposure but still good views, a few sections they will want to walk but mostly rideable. In particular you can construct a lot of different loops at Navajo Rocks and also connect it to the Mag7 area. Some of the Mag7 trails are friendlier than others - get a map or talk to the bike shop people.

  71. #271
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've only stayed in Moab twice, once in the early 90's and the second time more than ten years ago... It seems like there are lots of new trails. Can't wait to get some rides in.

  72. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by otter12 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've only stayed in Moab twice, once in the early 90's and the second time more than ten years ago... It seems like there are lots of new trails. Can't wait to get some rides in.
    I would take their advice to heart. Start at the Brand trails, Dead Horse, then see where to go from there according to skill level, but both those trails are still really awesome rides.

    Every time I ride in Moab, the trails are full of people that are absolutely hating life, pushing their bikes everywhere, and just totally pissed off because someone in the group had them ride trails that are way out of their league.

  73. #273
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    954
    I rode Hazzard today! It is in great shape, 2 wet spots around the creek crossing but other wise pretty darn tack! There was 1 blow down we removed. They just opened the gate, cars were parking at the trailhead. I was told shuttle companies have not been approved by the state to start shuttling to the top of it yet.

    Check out my recon report I am starting with a new thread about even higher up!
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad IIII

    Moto Becane Roady

    2015 KTM 1190R

    "Trying is the first step towards failure"

  74. #274
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,205
    Moab is an absolute hell hole right now.

    I saw a moto race in a BLM campground last night, and a brush fire at another. Air quality is terrible thanks to 10,000 OHVs.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  75. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Moab is an absolute hell hole right now.

    I saw a moto race in a BLM campground last night, and a brush fire at another. Air quality is terrible thanks to 10,000 OHVs.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Hot tip - Memorial Day weekend has become the busiest weekend in Moab, period. Even the Jeep Safari week has fewer people, because non-Jeepers schedule around it. Last Memorial Day, for the first time in history, NPS closed the entrance to Arches because it was gridlocked. Traffic on 191 backed up all the way back over the bridge and past that a ways.

    The weekend BEFORE Memorial Day is awesome.

  76. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Hot tip - Memorial Day weekend has become the busiest weekend in Moab, period. Even the Jeep Safari week has fewer people, because non-Jeepers schedule around it. Last Memorial Day, for the first time in history, NPS closed the entrance to Arches because it was gridlocked. Traffic on 191 backed up all the way back over the bridge and past that a ways.

    The weekend BEFORE Memorial Day is awesome.
    Agreed. I left Moab for home on the 27th. It wasn't very busy for the few days leading up to Mem Day.

  77. #277
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    954
    Spent most of the time up in the La Sal's. I didn't think it was that busy to the point of avoiding Moab. I did find it curious all the motorcycle riders dressed up like a mad-max movie. Rather entertaining......cops thought so too.
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad IIII

    Moto Becane Roady

    2015 KTM 1190R

    "Trying is the first step towards failure"

  78. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 123ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    524
    I heard it was going to snow in the LA SALs this week. Any sign of the white stuff down there? Was going to Twe this weekend

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  79. #279
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    You can check the shuttle companies, I can see the North faces of the mountains and they are clear. I think you'll be good. Plan for PM thunderstorms though.

  80. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    You can check the shuttle companies, I can see the North faces of the mountains and they are clear. I think you'll be good. Plan for PM thunderstorms though.
    SAM313, are you a local rider? We like to ride Mag7 with someone on Friday or Sat. (Sep. 23 and 24th). We have room to shuttle if local riders like to go.

  81. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    474
    Rode TWE on Saturday, and Mag7 today; conditions were perfect. There is a system moving in on 9/22, definite snow possibility up high (Burro). Mag7 should be fine, even if wet.

  82. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 123ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    You can check the shuttle companies, I can see the North faces of the mountains and they are clear. I think you'll be good. Plan for PM thunderstorms though.
    Just an update. Rode TWE on Saturday... Couldn't have asked for better weather or conditions...

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  83. #283
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Rode TWE on Saturday, and Mag7 today; conditions were perfect. There is a system moving in on 9/22, definite snow possibility up high (Burro). Mag7 should be fine, even if wet.
    Thanks for the update, booked a shuttle for Burro Pass on Wednesday and Thursday morning, hopefully the bad weather holds off until Thursday night. Plan is to do Mag7 on Friday. Maybe do some fun easier trails on Wednesday and Thursday evening if weather permits. Heard Navajo Rocks, Klondike, Bar M trails are good as well. Too many trails to ride, too little time in Moab.

  84. #284
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    How does it look in Moab right now? Weather channel shows thunderstorms. Would Shuttles still go to Burro Pass Wednesday morning, still a good chance?

  85. #285
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    How does it look in Moab right now? Weather channel shows thunderstorms. Would Shuttles still go to Burro Pass Wednesday morning, still a good chance?
    Well it's clear and warm at the moment.....l but as far as Wednesday goes the weather channel is a better forcaster than I am it says PM thunderstorms and that is common this time of year, I would imagine the shuttle would run in the AM.....you could simply call them to check. I think we will be getting the residual of that storm hitting Mexico right now.
    Thanks for the ride invite but we have company coming this weekend otherwise I'd love to go!

  86. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    34
    All this talk of snow doesn't look good for me. I won't get to Moab until Oct 8th. Getting a shuttle for the TWE looks bad.

  87. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith1 View Post
    All this talk of snow doesn't look good for me. I won't get to Moab until Oct 8th. Getting a shuttle for the TWE looks bad.
    ?
    KSL Weather Center | KSL.com
    In Park City, we MAY get snow above 9000 feet.....now they're saying above 6500 feet, but who knows.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-20-2016 at 07:30 AM.

  88. #288
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Well it's clear and warm at the moment.....l but as far as Wednesday goes the weather channel is a better forcaster than I am it says PM thunderstorms and that is common this time of year, I would imagine the shuttle would run in the AM.....you could simply call them to check. I think we will be getting the residual of that storm hitting Mexico right now.
    Thanks for the ride invite but we have company coming this weekend otherwise I'd love to go!
    Thanks for this SAM313, I've been checking the weather channel every hour but it's good to know that the shuttles may still be running with PM thunderstorms.
    I'd still like to invite you for a ride Wednesday or Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, we enjoy riding with locals.
    What would be a good local trail btw for a couple hours in the afternoon/evening? Looking for the best trail after Enchilada and Mag7. No Amasa back please

  89. #289
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith1 View Post
    All this talk of snow doesn't look good for me. I won't get to Moab until Oct 8th. Getting a shuttle for the TWE looks bad.
    We'll be back in Moab on Oct. 13. We'll have a car and Van so can shuttle ourselves. Hit me up if you like to tag along for a ride or shuttle.

  90. #290
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,647
    My iphone weather is just showing clouds for tomorrow Sept 21st and windy Thursday Sept 22nd with some cooler temps then back to 70s and sunny through Tuesday next week. Hope it holds out as I'll be down there next week.

    I know weather channel type forecasts can be wildly inaccurate for Moab though. You really have to look at a radar map and have some local knowledge of how storms develop there (according to my local friend hfly..... and he's pretty good at it).
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  91. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    We'll be back in Moab on Oct. 13. We'll have a car and Van so can shuttle ourselves. Hit me up if you like to tag along for a ride or shuttle.
    That might work out well. Just to let you know,I'm old and slow.

  92. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    My iphone weather is just showing clouds for tomorrow Sept 21st and windy Thursday Sept 22nd with some cooler temps then back to 70s and sunny through Tuesday next week. Hope it holds out as I'll be down there next week.

    I know weather channel type forecasts can be wildly inaccurate for Moab though. You really have to look at a radar map and have some local knowledge of how storms develop there (according to my local friend hfly..... and he's pretty good at it).
    Enchilada was in excellent shape today, started riding at Burro Pass yesterday and today. Cold at the top, bring a jacket. Crazy winds today on the trail! Looks like no snow or heavy thunderstorms in the forecast. Conditions look very good for next week, I think shuttles will still be running to Burro Pass for a while.

  93. #293
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Txholland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Enchilada was in excellent shape today, started riding at Burro Pass yesterday and today. Cold at the top, bring a jacket. Crazy winds today on the trail! Looks like no snow or heavy thunderstorms in the forecast. Conditions look very good for next week, I think shuttles will still be running to Burro Pass for a while.
    Snow in the LaSalls last night and closed down Burro Pass, Hazard County and Kokopelli. Should be open in a few days again, call the shuttle companies for an update.

  94. #294
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    969
    Reading this thread really makes me want to go to Moab for a 3rd time. Last time we brought a friend who broke his big toe hiking the Fiery Furnace the on first day and spent the whole trip in the Apache Motel room unable to ride while we did. Might have to take him back there.

  95. #295
    Desert Seeker
    Reputation: glesoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    223
    Bummer about your friend! The weather is soooo nice right now!

  96. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    La Sals got snow a few days ago and a bunch more yesterday and last night. That probably closes Burro for the season but shuttles will likely be running this weekend lower down. It was hero dirt on Navajo Rocks and Mag7 system trails today. The only trails the shop steered us away from were Klondike and brand trails, lots of clay in spots. Lots of cars in the brand trails lot though. Rest of the weekend is looking great. Get some!

  97. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    I'm planning a trip to the area on April 14th and I'm hoping to ride the Kokapelli trail from Fruita to Moab. Does anyone know if it's looking like that route will be free of snow and passable by that time? I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, so any intel or advice would be greatly appreciated!

  98. #298
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    248
    It's free of snow and passable now. Even if we get snow, which could happen with this wacky weather, that route should be clear.

  99. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for the update!
    One more question: I'm planning on finishing the route over a 3 day period and carrying about 150oz of water and a filter. Do you think that there will be enough water and/or snow on the route this time of year to get by with that amount of water? I'm okay with very silty river water if that's the case, just not sure what the river access is like.

  100. #300
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltech View Post
    Thanks for the update!
    One more question: I'm planning on finishing the route over a 3 day period and carrying about 150oz of water and a filter. Do you think that there will be enough water and/or snow on the route this time of year to get by with that amount of water? I'm okay with very silty river water if that's the case, just not sure what the river access is like.
    Plan on not having any water from kokopelli TH until westwater. If you're doing it in three days that might be your entire first day. Next water would be around Dewey bridge then hideout camp near bottom of rose garden hill. Once you get up in the la sals there might be some snow or water in small creeks. Of course there might be potholes along the way but don't rely on that. Finding water is one of the big cruxes of the route if you're self supported.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •