Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Deere Rider
    Going to be in Moab march 15-19. Can anyone guess how much, if any, of porcupine will be open? Thanks for any assistance.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Going to be in Moab march 15-19. Can anyone guess how much, if any, of porcupine will be open? Thanks for any assistance.
    Probably going to have to wait and see, chances may not be too good for porc rim. Got chased off of slickrock by a blizzard (by Moab standards) today. It's been a cold, snowy winter here. looks like we will get into a warming trend next week, see what happens.
    Ride On!

Deere Rider
    Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well? This is baring no further significant snow and expecting normal conditions between now and then. This thread has been very helpful as we near our annual March Moab visit. Thanks to all who have contributed.

mtbr member
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    litespeed's break

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well?
    UPS, LPS, Koko, hazard and Burro Will all be covered in snow as well as anything in the La Sals if PR is.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    Many of the rides require a car to get to. Some rides are are totally doable from town, but you'll end up putting in a lot of pavement miles or spending just as much if not more in $$$ on shuttles.

mtbr member
    If you need a shuttle check out Moab Shuttle | Red Rock Express

They are Moab local small business owners that provide great professional service and know the Moab area really well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Many of the rides require a car to get to. Some rides are are totally doable from town, but you'll end up putting in a lot of pavement miles or spending just as much if not more in $$$ on shuttles.
    Are the rides you speak of out and backs? Or would you need to hire a shuttle to get you back to your car? Or just set up shuttles with other riders? There is a chance a buddy of mine will be joining me 5 of the 9 days I'll be there. I could end up solo also. Thanx for your input.
    litespeed's break

Paste eater
    Are the rides you speak of out and backs? Or would you need to hire a shuttle to get you back to your car? Or just set up shuttles with other riders? There is a chance a buddy of mine will be joining me 5 of the 9 days I'll be there. I could end up solo also. Thanx for your input.
    Some are and some are not. WIth the exception of Slickrock, pipedream and Amasa. All other rides would be 10+ miles on pavement. Even there, the ride up to SR has a decent little climb and isn't exactly scintillating. I do it all the time, but I live here. If I were visiting, I'd be doing my best to put as many miles in on dirt rather than pavement.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    JMH may have lapped Mag 7 from town but he left out upper mag. A mere 40 miles and 4K of elevation. Pffft!

On a positive note, things are drying slowly but surely and warmer weather is forecasted for the weekend and beyond.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am heading out that way Friday morning for the weekend. From a previous post it sounds like most of everything in the Gemini/Gold Bar area should be good to go, but I think that was from a runners perspective. Beyond that I haven't seen any recent posts regarding trail conditions at the trails up north, Sovereign/Klondike, etc. Any insight would be helpful, praying for warm dry weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This one (red line; Poison Spider/Gold Bar) was almost entirely snow free. Only the gravel road descent out of the Gemini/mag7 area had a little ice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    nice thanks for the info, that is what I planned on riding Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I'll bite
    1) is/will the full mag 7 likely be ride-able (I don't mind some snow/ice) this weekend 3/1/13-3/3/13?

2) loop option? just up 191 to 313- or is there another option? 7-up to Mag 7 down looks like the ticket. Ride-able this weekend?

e

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I looped that same ride from town as Jan and yeah, it's good to go. The road down to the hwy was sloppy but Poison Spider's infamous sand pits are already getting a little infamous.

I tried Brand Trails last week and Deadman's was still muddy but Chuky checked it out on Monday and said it looked good.

Last I heard (Saturday, aka 4 days ago now) there was still quite a bit of snow above Arth's on Mag 7. I bet it's better now but I would put money on parts of Bull Run being wet and muddy. Maybe try the jeep road entrance instead of the first two miles of trail that run along the north edge of the canyon? I bet it's not bad below that. If I find out I will post up.

JMH

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    JMH may have lapped Mag 7 from town but he left out upper mag. A mere 40 miles and 4K of elevation. Pffft!

On a positive note, things are drying slowly but surely and warmer weather is forecasted for the weekend and beyond.
    You want to know a horrible ride? Mag 7... the full meal deal. Start from town and ride out towards Pot Ash, head up Long Canyon, across the top of the mesa and down Mag 7, out to the highway, do some Brand Trail loops and back to town. No, seriously. Long Canyon SUCKS! It makes the Poison Spider ride seem like a romp in comparison

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the update sounds like little canyon rim to mag 7 up gold bar and down poison spider has aa decent chance of being good to go

mtbr member
    Anyone know how Porcupine Rim is right now? We will be there tomorrow, March 1st.
    Thanks

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by dalabike View Post
    Anyone know how Porcupine Rim is right now? We will be there tomorrow, March 1st.
    Thanks
    Not even close.

Diggity Dog
    Hows the stuff north of town looking? Brands, Sovereign and Klondike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Rode Amasa today. Conditions were perfect. Cold this morning but warmed up to 45. I was able to ride in shorts and a jersey. Riding Mag7 tomorrow. Hopefully it's in good shape. I've never ridden it and have somewhat high expectations (it's February after all!).

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemorrised View Post
    Rode Amasa today. Conditions were perfect. Cold this morning but warmed up to 45. I was able to ride in shorts and a jersey. Riding Mag7 tomorrow. Hopefully it's in good shape. I've never ridden it and have somewhat high expectations (it's February after all!).
    Did you ride down RS and Jackson by any chance and if so how was it??? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    rode Klondike/babysteps to sovereign trail. it was all in good shape. some north facing stuff was snowy and muddy but they were both 95 percent dry in fact very sandy for this time of year. tomorrow is 7up mag 7 to poison spider going to be a great weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Didn't ride Jackson - back down Amasa. Mag7 was a little wet/snowy up top but rideable. I didn't know you could link to spider and rode back on the bridges road. Very sandy in the beginning then wet up and over to 191. What's/where's the link to Spider? I wouldn't do Mag7 as a shuttle back to town again without it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast