Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 296
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,012
    Going to be in Moab march 15-19. Can anyone guess how much, if any, of porcupine will be open? Thanks for any assistance.

  2. #52
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Going to be in Moab march 15-19. Can anyone guess how much, if any, of porcupine will be open? Thanks for any assistance.
    Probably going to have to wait and see, chances may not be too good for porc rim. Got chased off of slickrock by a blizzard (by Moab standards) today. It's been a cold, snowy winter here. looks like we will get into a warming trend next week, see what happens.
    Ride On!

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well? This is baring no further significant snow and expecting normal conditions between now and then. This thread has been very helpful as we near our annual March Moab visit. Thanks to all who have contributed.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak greeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    481
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    litespeed's break

  5. #55
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I will let my group know so we can start planning for the possible let down from no Porcupine! If Porcupine is an issue, are there other rides that could be as well?
    UPS, LPS, Koko, hazard and Burro Will all be covered in snow as well as anything in the La Sals if PR is.

  6. #56
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    Many of the rides require a car to get to. Some rides are are totally doable from town, but you'll end up putting in a lot of pavement miles or spending just as much if not more in $$$ on shuttles.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Anyone traveling to Moab via grand junction on Saturday, March 2? I'm flying into GJ at 11:30am. Headed to Moab for a week of biking. I'm not apposed to renting a car, but not sure how much I would use it once there. A shuttle service could work well also. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanx - Ryan
    If you need a shuttle check out Moab Shuttle | Red Rock Express

    They are Moab local small business owners that provide great professional service and know the Moab area really well.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak greeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Many of the rides require a car to get to. Some rides are are totally doable from town, but you'll end up putting in a lot of pavement miles or spending just as much if not more in $$$ on shuttles.
    Are the rides you speak of out and backs? Or would you need to hire a shuttle to get you back to your car? Or just set up shuttles with other riders? There is a chance a buddy of mine will be joining me 5 of the 9 days I'll be there. I could end up solo also. Thanx for your input.
    litespeed's break

  9. #59
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Are the rides you speak of out and backs? Or would you need to hire a shuttle to get you back to your car? Or just set up shuttles with other riders? There is a chance a buddy of mine will be joining me 5 of the 9 days I'll be there. I could end up solo also. Thanx for your input.
    Some are and some are not. WIth the exception of Slickrock, pipedream and Amasa. All other rides would be 10+ miles on pavement. Even there, the ride up to SR has a decent little climb and isn't exactly scintillating. I do it all the time, but I live here. If I were visiting, I'd be doing my best to put as many miles in on dirt rather than pavement.

  10. #60
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.

  11. #61
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.
    JMH may have lapped Mag 7 from town but he left out upper mag. A mere 40 miles and 4K of elevation. Pffft!

    On a positive note, things are drying slowly but surely and warmer weather is forecasted for the weekend and beyond.

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    I am heading out that way Friday morning for the weekend. From a previous post it sounds like most of everything in the Gemini/Gold Bar area should be good to go, but I think that was from a runners perspective. Beyond that I haven't seen any recent posts regarding trail conditions at the trails up north, Sovereign/Klondike, etc. Any insight would be helpful, praying for warm dry weather.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    476
    This one (red line; Poison Spider/Gold Bar) was almost entirely snow free. Only the gravel road descent out of the Gemini/mag7 area had a little ice.

    <iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/278088634'></iframe>

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    nice thanks for the info, that is what I planned on riding Saturday.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I will gladly show anyone the most arduous routes to the trails.
    I'll bite
    1) is/will the full mag 7 likely be ride-able (I don't mind some snow/ice) this weekend 3/1/13-3/3/13?

    2) loop option? just up 191 to 313- or is there another option? 7-up to Mag 7 down looks like the ticket. Ride-able this weekend?

    e

  16. #66
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    I looped that same ride from town as Jan and yeah, it's good to go. The road down to the hwy was sloppy but Poison Spider's infamous sand pits are already getting a little infamous.

    I tried Brand Trails last week and Deadman's was still muddy but Chuky checked it out on Monday and said it looked good.

    Last I heard (Saturday, aka 4 days ago now) there was still quite a bit of snow above Arth's on Mag 7. I bet it's better now but I would put money on parts of Bull Run being wet and muddy. Maybe try the jeep road entrance instead of the first two miles of trail that run along the north edge of the canyon? I bet it's not bad below that. If I find out I will post up.

    JMH

  17. #67
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    JMH may have lapped Mag 7 from town but he left out upper mag. A mere 40 miles and 4K of elevation. Pffft!

    On a positive note, things are drying slowly but surely and warmer weather is forecasted for the weekend and beyond.
    You want to know a horrible ride? Mag 7... the full meal deal. Start from town and ride out towards Pot Ash, head up Long Canyon, across the top of the mesa and down Mag 7, out to the highway, do some Brand Trail loops and back to town. No, seriously. Long Canyon SUCKS! It makes the Poison Spider ride seem like a romp in comparison

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for the update sounds like little canyon rim to mag 7 up gold bar and down poison spider has aa decent chance of being good to go

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dalabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21
    Anyone know how Porcupine Rim is right now? We will be there tomorrow, March 1st.
    Thanks

  20. #70
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by dalabike View Post
    Anyone know how Porcupine Rim is right now? We will be there tomorrow, March 1st.
    Thanks
    Not even close.

  21. #71
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Hows the stuff north of town looking? Brands, Sovereign and Klondike.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    81
    Rode Amasa today. Conditions were perfect. Cold this morning but warmed up to 45. I was able to ride in shorts and a jersey. Riding Mag7 tomorrow. Hopefully it's in good shape. I've never ridden it and have somewhat high expectations (it's February after all!).

  23. #73
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,524
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemorrised View Post
    Rode Amasa today. Conditions were perfect. Cold this morning but warmed up to 45. I was able to ride in shorts and a jersey. Riding Mag7 tomorrow. Hopefully it's in good shape. I've never ridden it and have somewhat high expectations (it's February after all!).
    Did you ride down RS and Jackson by any chance and if so how was it??? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    rode Klondike/babysteps to sovereign trail. it was all in good shape. some north facing stuff was snowy and muddy but they were both 95 percent dry in fact very sandy for this time of year. tomorrow is 7up mag 7 to poison spider going to be a great weekend

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    81
    Didn't ride Jackson - back down Amasa. Mag7 was a little wet/snowy up top but rideable. I didn't know you could link to spider and rode back on the bridges road. Very sandy in the beginning then wet up and over to 191. What's/where's the link to Spider? I wouldn't do Mag7 as a shuttle back to town again without it.

  26. #76
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemorrised View Post
    Didn't ride Jackson - back down Amasa. Mag7 was a little wet/snowy up top but rideable. I didn't know you could link to spider and rode back on the bridges road. Very sandy in the beginning then wet up and over to 191. What's/where's the link to Spider? I wouldn't do Mag7 as a shuttle back to town again without it.
    If you want to get technical, PS is the 7th trail in the Mag 7 line up That or the Portal would be the other option. It's just that most bail out Gemini as the ride up and over goldbar adds significant time, distance and effort to your ride.

    http://www.grandcountyutah.net/trail...Bar-Potash.pdf

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Did you ride down RS and Jackson by any chance and if so how was it??? thanks in advance.
    RCC
    I rode RS,Jackson's Tuesday. It's good to go. There was some ice and mud in shady spots on Jackson's, but nothing that caused any issues. By now it's probably perfect.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,012
    Any updates on Porcupine? Your forecast is looking decent. Will it be open in ten days? Thanks.

  29. #79
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Any updates on Porcupine? Your forecast is looking decent. Will it be open in ten days? Thanks.
    Doubt it. Snow just burnt of the West canyon wall in town. Not even sure Pipedream is ridable. That being said, Mag 7 is in great shape.

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    683
    Getting warm... Porcupine opening up at all?

  31. #81
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557

    Moab Trail Conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Getting warm... Porcupine opening up at all?
    It's been quite warm. Rumor has it this weekend.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Any of you leisurely pedalers feeling competitive? May 4th 2013 there is an Enduro Mountain Bike Race to be held on Moab's Mag 7 trails. Press Release ****************11bfT9O. Or Warning: May 7 will be occupied May 4th. The good news? The Moab Trail Mix has opened 80 miles of trail 2011-2012. Get a Moab Trail Alliance map (the latest edition) from any of Moab's Bike Shops. The money goes directly back into the funds for building trails by Moab Trail Mix. And pitch in while you are here, get to know Moab's volunteers who also are amped to mountain bike ride. (Bike Shops can advise you of work projects as well.)
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nallacious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    8
    I rode Rockstacker and upper and lower Captain Ahab one day and 7-Up, Bull Run, Arth's, Little Canyon, Great Escape, and Getaway another day. They are all in great shape.

  34. #84
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Jwind, whats the snow/ice line at now for rideable stuff near Porc?

  35. #85
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by VisitMoabUtah View Post
    Any of you leisurely pedalers feeling competitive? May 4th 2013 there is an Enduro Mountain Bike Race to be held on Moab's Mag 7 trails. Press Release ****************11bfT9O. Or Warning: May 7 will be occupied May 4th. The good news? The Moab Trail Mix has opened 80 miles of trail 2011-2012. Get a Moab Trail Alliance map (the latest edition) from any of Moab's Bike Shops. The money goes directly back into the funds for building trails by Moab Trail Mix. And pitch in while you are here, get to know Moab's volunteers who also are amped to mountain bike ride. (Bike Shops can advise you of work projects as well.)
    Only if there's points for who's gonna retire first.

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,082
    Mag 7 was great yesterday, only saw 5 jeeps. Got lost towards the end but finally found some helpfull blue paint which we followed out :0

  37. #87
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Jwind, whats the snow/ice line at now for rideable stuff near Porc?
    Shuttles are headed to LPS. Near 70's all week.

  38. #88
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Did the south end of the MOAB Brand Trails, today, late this afternoon, parked right next to Ross Schnell in his new to him TDI sportwagen. Good stuff, quite impressed with how these CST Cabellero's hold up on the slick rock. Not the grippiest, but they wear pretty good on this stuff. Very nice, the new stuff put in over here since I rode it last year, mild tech stuff, nothing crazy, but fun, fun, fun, keeps you on your toes.

    The jeep crowd is thinning out now from March, still a few residual dudes in town. Get some while it's still cool, these rocks bake you when it gets close to 80F.

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,158
    Shuttles are running to UPS via lower Koko.
    Trail is in good shape.
    The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized.

  40. #90
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized.
    I noticed that today, does anyone know who is doing this and why?
    Ride On!

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Shuttles are running to UPS via lower Koko.
    Trail is in good shape.
    The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized.
    That section was way too gnarly, it needed to be sanitized. I hope they put in a guard rail too because there's some exposure that not everyone is comfortable with. And how about some grip tape on the Notch so everyone can ride it.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,680
    [QUOTE=The last section of Porcupine singletrack has been heavily sanitized[/QUOTE]
    What does that mean?

  43. #93
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What does that mean?
    Smoothing out technical or rocky sections so the average tourist on a cruiser bike can ride it, effectively ruining the character and "soul" of the trail, the reason people come from all over the world to ride it.
    Ride On!

  44. #94
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    I noticed that today, does anyone know who is doing this and why?
    WHen was the last time you rode. Or it's been sanitized since when?

  45. #95
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    WHen was the last time you rode. Or it's been sanitized since when?
    Rode it Saturday, quite a bit of sanitizing when you hit the drop into jackass canyon all the way out to the road. Doesn't make too much sense as if you've made it that far, the rest should not be a problem. If there are plans to continue this up the trail, an intervention may be needed
    Ride On!

  46. #96
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    Rode it Saturday, quite a bit of sanitizing when you hit the drop into jackass canyon all the way out to the road. Doesn't make too much sense as if you've made it that far, the rest should not be a problem. If there are plans to continue this up the trail, an intervention may be needed
    No, I mean it's been sanitized since when?

  47. #97
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    No, I mean it's been sanitized since when?
    In the last week, rode previous weekend and no "trail work" had been done
    Ride On!

  48. #98
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    In the last week, rode previous weekend and no "trail work" had been done
    Hmm, i dunno. I rode it three weeks ago and all was the same compare to the last couple of seasons anyhow.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,158
    The work took place between 3/31 and 4/6.
    New paint on rocks to show trail, rocks moved, trail widened, rockwork ramps, and several large boulders have had portions chipped off and removed to make more room on the trail.
    It is significantly easier to ride clean now than it was in the past.

  50. #100
    dead weight
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    731
    Sucks. I loved that lower section's character.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •