mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab trail closures threatened

Moab Times-Independent - USFS to regulate non motorized recreation in La Sal Mountains

It looks like some of the mountain trails might be closed to mountain bikes.

Stay tuned.

Paste eater
    This is preposterous.

Regulations are needed to alleviate conflicts between fast-moving downhill mountain bikers and hikers or equestrians traveling the opposite direction on the same trails, according to Forest Service officials.
    With the exception of Burro & Hazard. I'm up there all the time in the Summer and often in the shoulder seasons and I can count on one hand the number of times I've run into a single other trail user of any kind in a given Spring-Summer-Fall stretch. Sounds to me someone has an axe to grind.

The REAL user conflict is between humans and COWS. Those things are out-of-control up there.
    Last edited by Jwind; 03-01-2013 at 07:35 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I know right? When was the last time you heard someone talking about their "sick Boren Mesa ride?" Also the mention of La Sal pass and Shuttle Companies makes me think the info is wrong and they're really talking about Geyser Pass, but then the locations they discuss are different.

Either way, construction of more trails could be a good thing.

JMH

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I know right? When was the last time you heard someone talking about their "sick Boren Mesa ride?" Also the mention of La Sal pass and Shuttle Companies makes me think the info is wrong and they're really talking about Geyser Pass, but then the locations they discuss are different.

Either way, construction of more trails could be a good thing.

JMH
    The whole article is a little confusing. More trails, trail closures and La Sal Pass? It's not entirely clear to me what exactly is in jeopardy.

And like you said, more trails are always welcomed by just about an mountain biker. The truth is, it's really fricken' hard to string together rides up there despite all the space - particularly the ascending part. There is very little trail up there that climbs well. Even 'traversing' trails like Boren Mesa require dismount.

While in Park City this past Summer, I was blown away how relatively easy it was to pedal my 1X Nomad up DV/PC/Canyons. Everyone seems to get along just fine there with traffic everywhere?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    The whole article is a little confusing. More trails, trail closures and La Sal Pass? It's not entirely clear to me what exactly is in jeopardy.

And like you said, more trails are always welcomed by just about an mountain biker. The truth is, it's really fricken' hard to string together rides up there despite all the space - particularly the ascending part. There is very little trail up there that climbs well. Even 'traversing' trails like Boren Mesa require dismount.

While in Park City this past Summer, I was blown away how relatively easy it was to pedal my 1X Nomad up DV/PC/Canyons. Everyone seems to get along just fine there with traffic everywhere?
    Trails designed for uphill bike traffic from Oowah to both Boren Mesa and Warner would be welcome, esp. if there was a connector to the top of Moonlight that avoided the road. A Schumann (sp?) option that went back up to Warner or towards Hazzard would be nice too, especially through those amazing giant Aspen trees. I agree that the network of trails as it exists is fun but arduous.

adamant
    Sep 2006

We the people ...

Source documents are at Manti-La Sal National Forest - Home

On map of "alternative 3 northern area" i cannot make out Burro Pass, but the map clearly shows Werner Lake. What appears to me to be the Burro Pass trail (climb from typical shuttle-drop to pass, and bulk of descent to Werner lake-- is coded YELLOW.

Maybe some Moab locals can drop by the FS office and look at maps to clarify! Sure looks like Burro Pass is on the list to remove bike access.

Map legend:

yellow = "designation change"
    dark green = "existing non-motorized system trails"

As i read "Draft Purpose and Need", the primary objection is the high number of bikes riding downhill from Burro Pass to Werner Lake. And the Forest Service recently put in Hazard County (v2) trail. Build it they will come, then shut it down. Huh?

Curious how the comments are from 07/2011.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    Source documents are at Manti-La Sal National Forest - Home

On map of "alternative 3 northern area" i cannot make out Burro Pass, but the map clearly shows Werner Lake. What appears to me to be the Burro Pass trail (climb from typical shuttle-drop to pass, and bulk of descent to Werner lake-- is coded YELLOW.

Maybe some Moab locals can drop by the FS office and look at maps to clarify! Sure looks like Burro Pass is on the list to remove bike access.

Map legend:

yellow = "designation change"
    dark green = "existing non-motorized system trails"

As i read "Draft Purpose and Need", the primary objection is the high number of bikes riding downhill from Burro Pass to Werner Lake. And the Forest Service recently put in Hazard County (v2) trail. Build it they will come, then shut it down. Huh?

Curious how the comments are from 07/2011.
    Nah, that yellow is Miners basin. Not really loosing much of anything there. That's a hike-a-bike at the very least. Burro is green. The comments are from 2011 b/c there has been talk abou this for quite some time.

Also, from this map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5405687.jpg there seems to be quite a bit to GAIN from the trail development. Looking at the comments, it appears Megladon is even back on the table.

Paste eater
    This article is a much better summary. Debate over trail use in La Sals - Moab Sun News: News

1 bike to ride them all
    Hadn't seen this post. Sorry to hear about the proposed changes there. It seems as though many popular mtb destinations are all facing similar issues in a relatively short space of time. I wonder if the usual environmental groups have put forth a concerted effort now because so many areas are suffering due to the weak economy?

Anyhow, best of luck. We're pulling for ya.

If you think it will help have a look the petition that was posted on this board.

CB

mtbr member
    May 2007

Write to the FS

Here is my post from utahmountainbiking.com:

My brother is active in the Moab MB community and has pointed me to the actual proposal here:

Forest Service ... rdb5405750

In addition, here is a FB post for the Chili Pepper Bike Shop:

We need letters written to Manti LaSal National Forest right now!
    Mountain bikers could lose access!
    We need riders to support Alternative 3 and that we DO NOT support Moab Trails Alliance letter - since they are collaborating with SUWA and Grand Canyon Trust.

Write a letter to - Brian Murdock, Manti LaSal National Forest,
    PO Box 386, Moab, UT 84532 or email letters to:
    bmurdock@fs.fed.us

Here is the email I just sent, feel free to cannibalize:
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    Brian,

I am not a Moab native as I live in SLC, so I only recently found out about the planned proposals for changes in the La Sal National Forrest and its potential effect to access for mountain bikers. But I have enjoyed the area on multiple occasions and am very worried about my future access to these trails.

I am very frustrated with Alternatives #1 and #2 and feel they do not address the problems that non MB'ers and attempt to solve things broadly restricting access.

I am an avid hiker and outdoorsman as well as a biker and know first hand the frustrations some face with multiple groups accessing the same trail system. But outright restrictions of access to groups is not the right solution. Alternative #3 at least intelligently attempts to approach the issue and strives to find solutions to provide access to all users.

Please do not restrict access and find a way to allow all non motorized users to access and enjoy the La Sal NF.

Thank you.