mtbr member

Moab shuttle services : please explain

So I'm try to arrange my trip to Moab in a month from now and I still don't get what is this shuttle pickup thing.

Let me see if I got this right :

you either book a shuttle or the store you rent a bike from arrange a shuttle pick up at the store for you. The shuttle drops you at the trail of your interest and you're good to go and enjoy the ride. Is that correct ?

But let's say a shuttle drops me at Slickrock at 8 am and I'm done with riding at 12 noon. Will I find the shuttle at the end of the trail waiting for me ?
    What if I'm interested in riding the whole trail in loop,if that is the case should I go with my car instead of using a shuttle ?

thanks for your imputs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ive got a Moan Shuttle for yah..........

Sorry just had to be done!

mtbr member
    The title has been edited ^^^^^

I personally wouldn't bother with a shuttle for Slickrock unless you don't have a car. Just park at the lot, do the loop, back at car. If you REALLY want to shuttle it, it's pretty much all downhill back to Moab when you're done.

Shuttles to Porcupine etc usually pick you up in town, take you up and then you ride back to town. Mag 7 seems to be the exception, as it seems the drivers are open to following you out to the Brand trails, where they'll grab you and take you to the top, in case you're not doing the whole mag 7 and want to come out gemini. You wouldn't want to do this if you're doing all of Mag 7. Even if you don't do this it is mostly downhill on a bike path (with at least one little singletrack offshoot) back to Moab.

IME, the shuttle companies affiliate with, but are not actually employees of a bike shop. Usually best to call the shuttle company direct to make reservations.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    So basically the concept is they drop you at the trail but once you're done you have to go bach to the hotel by yourself,is that right ? Is that a big deal of a distance ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    So basically the concept is they drop you at the trail but once you're done you have to go bach to the hotel by yourself,is that right ? Is that a big deal of a distance ?
    You are correct, once they drop you at the top you are on your own to get back to town. If you do Porc Rim shuttle, however high you want to go (Kokopelli, Burro, TWE), once the ride hits the highway, you have about a 5 mile scenic ride back to town.
    Poison Spider Bicycles | PORCUPINE SHUTTLE.com - MOAB'S BEST BIKE SHUTTLE SERVICE

Here is a link to one of the bigger shuttle services in town.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's how it works with the usual shuttle companies. Moab is pretty small though, so it's pretty easy. Plus you can take your time on the trail without worrying about holding somebody up at the bottom or missing your shuttle. If I remember right, the bottom of porcupine is about 5 easy road miles into town, from the Brand trails it might be twice that but most of if free wheeling downhilll. If you come out the portal it's probably 8 or 9 miles? This is assuming you get a place central to town.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Think of all Moab shuttle services as a "drop off" service.
    They get you to the start of your ride.
    Most have a menu of trails and departure times, and the main focus is on Burro/Hazard this time of year.
    Most have a designated/usual pick up location in town at a bike shop.
    You pick the trail and time that you want depart and make a reservation.
    Bring cash +Show up, load up, and get dropped off at the start of the ride + tip your driver.
    Find your way back to town on your own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm headed to Moab next week and taking a shuttle to Hazard. What's the normal gratuity for the shuttle bus driver?

mtbr member
    My personal take is that the drivers don't get tipped often enough.
    Figure they're lifting a bunch of 30lb +/- bikes and loading them on top of the van and then climbing back up on the van and handing them back to you at the trailhead in addition to driving you there.
    The shuttles are a bargain compared to the logistics and time required to get your own vehicle to the trailhead and back again.
    I'd bet less than half of shuttle riders tip.
    Up to you, but I usually hand them an extra $5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Up to you, but I usually hand them an extra $5.
    Thanks for the "tip"

EDR

Re: Moab shuttle services : please explain

Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    I'm headed to Moab next week and taking a shuttle to Hazard. What's the normal gratuity for the shuttle bus driver?
    I think a dime bag is adequate.