mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Moab: Shafer Trail to Lathrop Canyon - worth it?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has done the Lathrop Canyon ride utilizing Tag-a-Long's jet boat shuttle back to town. I realize the terrain may not be "epic" but am mostly looking for good views and a new experience for my wife and I.

I'm grateful for any opinions. Thanks!

Paste eater
    In that case, probably. I'm not super familiar with what the "bike route" is, but when we had family in town, we rented a jeep and drove much of lathrop. Certainly amazing views. I also remember a lot of vertical and it being no short distance.

alien exchange student

My experience

Howdy, I did it with my son a few years back (he was 10 at the time) and we had a really good day. The trail is entirely jeep road. The downhill section is fun with some rock-studded stuff but it is pretty easy overall. There is a fair amount of mileage but almost no climbing. The views are really spectacular, both on the bike and from the boat. The stretch through Lathrop Canyon is definitely sandy. There will be sections you'll likely walk unless you are "sand" skilled and super energetic.

I'd recommend you do it based on your post (and what you're looking for). Bring plenty of water and snacks, as well as a full lunch. Bring a good camera. Make sure you wear plenty of sunscreen as there is virtually no shade to be had through most of the route.

Have fun!

Mel
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel View Post
    Howdy, I did it with my son a few years back (he was 10 at the time) and we had a really good day. The trail is entirely jeep road. The downhill section is fun with some rock-studded stuff but it is pretty easy overall. There is a fair amount of mileage but almost no climbing. The views are really spectacular, both on the bike and from the boat. The stretch through Lathrop Canyon is definitely sandy. There will be sections you'll likely walk unless you are "sand" skilled and super energetic.

I'd recommend you do it based on your post (and what you're looking for). Bring plenty of water and snacks, as well as a full lunch. Bring a good camera. Make sure you wear plenty of sunscreen as there is virtually no shade to be had through most of the route.

Have fun!

Mel
    Thanks Mel,
    I actually learned of this ride in your book! Thanks for shipping that out so quickly. Lots of good (raucous) information in there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I did it last year (thanks Mel!). The ride was really mellow, but was fun. The views were great and the jet boat ride was really fun. Paying for the lunch from Tag-a-long is also worth it.

Two things to note:
    1. the boat ride is longer than what I thought it would be. Probably 1-2 hours.
    2. Tag along didn't have bike racks last year. They wanted to pile our bikes on top of their van with some tie downs. Not a problem if you are using a rental bike or don't really care about your bike. We made a deal with them and they drove our truck with the bikes on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the beta jaclynj,
    I didn't realize the boat ride was that long. When I hear "jet boat" I think 60+MPH.