mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Moab riding for kids?

Just curious if there is really anywhere to take young kids to ride a little (7-10 yrs old). Obviously something relatively flat, not more than a few miles long. Maybe even just an area of reasonably flat slick rock area for the kids to play on while the parents hang out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Trail Rat
    There are a few beginner trails at the Moab Brand trails North of town, Lazy EZ is easily navigated by my 7 yr old and there are a variety of new beginner trails off Willow Springs Rd. . There is a Moab trails APP that shows most of the beginner trails in the area including a few at Klondike bluffs that are relatively flat.
    If you are camping there are several areas up in Sand a Flats where the kids can ride on slick rock around the campground while the adults enjoy a beverage. Definitely better than a few years ago.
    Good luck!

pedlr
    I have a 9 and an eleven year old. They have been riding here a few years. The trails they do include:

barm m double track
    ez lazy
    rusty spur
    first loop of north 40(challenging but fun)
    redhot
    rollercoster
    all of the intrepid trails
    pumptrack at bike park
    jurassic and agate
    dynaflow(a little more challenging)
    Rusty spur or jurassic would be a good place to start.
    my kids are not particularly enthusiastic, the more gung ho kids ride harder trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great! Thanks for the replies, that should give us plenty to give the kids a taste of Moab.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Great advice in the posts above. Bar M is at the Moab Brand Trails about 6 miles north of Moab and I taught an 11 year old how to ride a bike there. From the parking lot ride the road over the low ridge to the east and drop down to Bar M. I favor going right with newbies but also just to the left is the top of Circle O and a great place for them to experience slick rock! My 11 YO niece rode around there for about an hour gaining confidence. She never rode a bike before.

Once they are confident there then take Bar M south and connect with Lazy and return to the parking area. They will probably walk a few place but 95% is just dirt single track with some flow. Somewhere near the parking lot like at the end of Lazy then everyone can decide what to do next. Burgers at Moab Brewery may be on the immediate wish list or the kids ride EZ and Lazy and the adults do a loop on North 40.

The Brand Trails have something for everyone! I explain the trails there a bit in my Moab Mountain Biking - Trail Analysis for Intermediates video on YouTube but I really need to produce a video just for the Brand Trails. Probably next Sept. Next week I'm shooting the trails near the west side of Zion NP.

Start at the Brand Trails and run those trails several times. After that take them on the other trails suggested above. Also, all the bike shops will help you figure out what to do next.

Maps are available in all the bike shops and they are on all trail intersections. Impossible to get lost although there is a maze of trails.

As always this is the place to go for detailed UT trail info:
    Moab Brand Trails

The new bike park is near the new hospital. Ask anyone for directions.

At some point take them to the Slick Rock Bike Trail. If they enjoy the short ride out to the "Practice Trail" then take them on that 2 mile trail. Yes, it is over their head but they can walk the weird stuff. I've seen 4 year old girls on it but for them it is mostly a hike. Still, it sets the bar high for the future. After that Bar M will be boring. They will never want to ride it again.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Great advice in the posts above. Bar M is at the Moab Brand Trails about 6 miles north of Moab and I taught an 11 year old how to ride a bike there. From the parking lot ride the road over the low ridge to the east and drop down to Bar M. I favor going right with newbies but also just to the left is the top of Circle O and a great place for them to experience slick rock! My 11 YO niece rode around there for about an hour gaining confidence. She never rode a bike before.

Once they are confident there then take Bar M south and connect with Lazy and return to the parking area. They will probably walk a few place but 95% is just dirt single track with some flow. Somewhere near the parking lot like at the end of Lazy then everyone can decide what to do next. Burgers at Moab Brewery may be on the immediate wish list or the kids ride EZ and Lazy and the adults do a loop on North 40.

The Brand Trails have something for everyone! I explain the trails there a bit in my Moab Mountain Biking - Trail Analysis for Intermediates video on YouTube but I really need to produce a video just for the Brand Trails. Probably next Sept. Next week I'm shooting the trails near the west side of Zion NP.

Start at the Brand Trails and run those trails several times. After that take them on the other trails suggested above. Also, all the bike shops will help you figure out what to do next.

Maps are available in all the bike shops and they are on all trail intersections. Impossible to get lost although there is a maze of trails.

As always this is the place to go for detailed UT trail info:
    Moab Brand Trails

The new bike park is near the new hospital. Ask anyone for directions.

At some point take them to the Slick Rock Bike Trail. If they enjoy the short ride out to the "Practice Trail" then take them on that 2 mile trail. Yes, it is over their head but they can walk the weird stuff. I've seen 4 year old girls on it but for them it is mostly a hike. Still, it sets the bar high for the future. After that Bar M will be boring. They will never want to ride it again.

Jim
    Thanks Jim that is perfect! That will make it easy to find some good stuff for the kids. Unfortunatly now we have decided that Moab might be a bad idea over spring break so we might change our plans and maybe look at somewhere a little more under the radar this time, any ideas? We will be back in late sept for sure so your info will come in handy.

mtbr member
    Klonzo and Intrepid trail systems are our top family picks.