Singletrack Addict!!!

Moab/Park City Suggestions for first timers

Planning a trip to Outerbike arriving thursday Oct 4 and staying maybe till Sunday afternoon. Then head out to Park City arriving sunday and leaving Tuesday 8pm. Or should we stay the whole time @ Moab? We will be arriving from the sierras, CA (Downieville/Tahoe). I've heard great things about Park City. I ride an Mojo HD 140/150mm, but probably will make it 160mm for the trip, everybody else will be mostly on the 140mm range or 100-120 29ers. Of course will have a lot of riding on our legs, so the more down the better.

Any tips? Trail suggestions?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Can you accept GPX files? If so, I'll post some rides (if I can figure out how to do that!).

Paste eater
    Can't really help you with trail selection in PC. However, expect it to be a whole lot colder or even snowy that time of year. In terms of Moab, if you get more specific with what you may be looking to ride, i'm sure you'll get all sorts of recommendations. Tons of info in the Moab trip planner sticky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Planning a trip to Outerbike arriving thursday Oct 4 and staying maybe till Sunday afternoon. Then head out to Park City arriving sunday and leaving Tuesday 8pm. Or should we stay the whole time @ Moab? We will be arriving from the sierras, CA (Downieville/Tahoe). I've heard great things about Park City. I ride an Mojo HD 140/150mm, but probably will make it 160mm for the trip, everybody else will be mostly on the 140mm range or 100-120 29ers. Of course will have a lot of riding on our legs, so the more down the better.

Any tips? Trail suggestions?
    Lots of good options still available that time of year. There is ample information on Moab's offerings. Of course, I'd recommend a trip down some or all of the Whole Enchilada; October is perfect for that. You'd certainly find enough in Moab to keep yourself entertained staying there the whole trip.

But PC is pretty awesome that time of year, provided you don't hit an early season snowstorm or something. Aspens will be in full color, and can be pretty spectacular. The Midmountain trail is a lot of fun. Good riding in Glenwild, other spots in PC as well.

But my favorite is the Wasatch Crest, starting at Guardsman Pass and down to the bottom of Mill Creek cyn (technically, more of a SLC ride than a PC ride, although you can come down the PC side if you want). There are a few shuttle operators to take you to the top. Nearly 5k feet of descent over 26 miles (with about 1000 up mixed in). One of the best rides around IMO.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Thanks for the replies! MSU, I think that I can use the GPX. You can send me a private with an attachment?? I guess, otherwise I can send you my e-mail.

Snow on early Oct, really?? Well with this hotter year, I sure hope not. We'll see, elevation @ PC is 9,000 ish max?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Paste eater
    Snow on early Oct, really?? Well with this hotter year, I sure hope not. We'll see, elevation @ PC is 9,000 ish max?
    I suspect at least some of the trails in PC are higher.

The La Sals are Just short of 13K. You'll hit 11,200 on Burro and there is a whole bunch more riding between that and 9K...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies! MSU, I think that I can use the GPX. You can send me a private with an attachment?? I guess, otherwise I can send you my e-mail.

I'll give it a try. Snow in early October is very unlikely. Nothing's impossible - I've had tree branches broken in June from snow. At most, there may be a shower that blows through, dusts the trails, and then dries out by the end of the day. But, there is an almost digital change in weather up here that typically occurs around Halloween, so you're close.

Picture Unrelated
    Check out skidmap.com and utahmountainbiking.com for some trail info. See if any of those rides are of interest and maybe report back what looks fun.

If I were that close to Moab, I would spend a day in Fruita/Grand Junction before heading up to PC. The riding in PC is fantastic for intermediates with good fitness and while there is a chance of snow with the insane weather season we've had for the past year, there will always be something to ride down low if the upper mountains are getting sloppy.

Mid mountain is a great ride, the Crest... well everyone and their mother will tell you to ride that one, and down low you have Round Valley and Glenwild (in my opinion, Flying Dog should be a do-not-miss trail for anyone, counterclockwise is best though and you need to be fairly fit) and if it's unusually cold you can always ride down in the Salt Lake valley (Corner Canyon is really fun)
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Highest points on the Wasatch Crest are 10,000 ft. We rode it last week, it was about 80* when I left my house in the valley, was 53* at the top. So you never know.

But snow is unlikely to derail your trip in early October, which is usually pretty good riding time.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    ....(in my opinion, Flying Dog should be a do-not-miss trail for anyone, counterclockwise is best though and you need to be fairly fit) and if it's unusually cold you can always ride down in the Salt Lake valley (Corner Canyon is really fun)
    I agree, must ride, especially in the fall. Funny, most people do ride it CC, but the downhill clockwise is so much fun, I greatly prefer that route....'course I'm one of those oddballs that hates Spiro and loves climbing up Sweeney's/John's...
    Why counter clockwise?
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I did a mountain bike trip to PC last year the weekend before that weekend. You never know of course, but the weather was perfect and the fall colors were amazing.

mtbr member
    Personally I would stay in Moab or add Fruita if you haven't been to either. Park City is really great riding, but coming from Tahoe I would think you ride in the mountains plenty and being a long trip for you the desert riding of Moab and Fruita/Grand Junction is really unique. Not really anywhere you can ride trails like that, specifically all the different slickrock options in Moab.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I agree, must ride, especially in the fall. Funny, most people do ride it CC, but the downhill clockwise is so much fun, I greatly prefer that route....'course I'm one of those oddballs that hates Spiro and loves climbing up Sweeney's/John's...
    Why counter clockwise?
    Really? Descending switchbacks is hardly more fun than that ripping decent all the way into the parking lot. Miles of almost exclusively sweeping downhill trail, much more fun than a thousand foot descent of switchbacks. The only drawback is the uphill traffic getting in the way of the fun!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Really? Descending switchbacks is hardly more fun than that ripping decent all the way into the parking lot. Miles of almost exclusively sweeping downhill trail, much more fun than a thousand foot descent of switchbacks. The only drawback is the uphill traffic getting in the way of the fun!
    I assume you've ridden the Avenues in the Moose Hollow area in Jeremy Ranch...another awesome swooping downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003