mtbr member
    May 2008

Moab must do's without a bike?

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I will be heading to moab on the 13th of next month. We are bringing our bikes and we have already picked out the trails we would like to shuttle, but we don't plan on riding every day we're in town. I was just wondering what are the must does that don't include a mountain bike? Restaurants, bars, sight seeing, parks, drives(I have a Volvo not a jeep), national parks, hikes etc. Thanks!!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Arches NP, and Dead Horse Point State Park. As for food, good luck, I haven't had a decent meal in Moab. Ever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do a jeep/hummer tour. Totally worth it.
    The jet boat tour towards Canyonlands is ok, nothing hugely special. If you have an afternoon to kill and some money to spend, go for it.

For meals and bars, meh, not the point of Moab at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I agree. You can kill most of a day in Arches, and it's best to see it with a car. The scenery from the road is nice, and the trailheads to the arches are spaced some distance apart. Take something for lunch, and bring some water. There are no resources in the park itself.

Dead Horse Point is quite spectacular, but it's a bit of a drive from Moab. Not too far, though. You might want to visit Fisher Towers. It's up the river from the town. The drive is nice. Either of the roads leading downriver from the town are worth checking out. I recommended the road along the southern shore to some German friends who were doing a tour of the southwest, and they said it was their favorite part of the trip.

But yeah, the town itself has never been much fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Depending on your budget, renting a jeep or enduro motorcycles can be a really fun way to spend a day or two. If you're willing to skip the tour guide, pack a lunch and plenty of water and go explore! Drive up to Gemini Bridges then down to the White Rim or take the Klondike Bluffs trail and check out the dinosaur tracks then park at the turn around and do the short hike to the Arches viewpoint. Plenty of jeep/motorcycle trails that aren't too technical or crazy.

As for food, the Moab brewery isn't anything too special but the beer is cold and there are plenty of options on the menu. I don't know if Poplar Place is still around but if so, they make a great pizza. I can't help too much on the night life since that's not why I'm there. Have fun!

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Runner View Post
    Arches NP, and Dead Horse Point State Park. As for food, good luck, I haven't had a decent meal in Moab. Ever.
    I have had two great meals in Moab, both establishments lasted about 2 minutes.

Why is it that restaurants in Moab are spectacularly mediocre but continue to be there year after year?

Edit; The Moab Diner is awesome. I wouldeat my own foot if it was smothered in green Chili.
    Last edited by can't get right; 04-29-2012 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bullocks.

There is a fine sushi restaurant in Moab. Been there 2 seasons. Next door is a very acceptable Thai restaurant. Paradox pizza has fine healthier style pizza and Zax has good old fashioned cheese bomb variety pizza.
    Milt's is a diner with virtually gourmet burgers including buffalo and locally raised grass fed no
    feedlot burger meat.
    Eclectica still puts out great food, and the Desert Bistro is the place for fine dining, pricey but
    stellar.
    Buck's steak house and Jeffrey's both serve great food and Buck's has a martini bar.
    Moab Coffee roasters serves the best espresso, coffee and gelato in southern Utah.
    The fish tacos at Wake and Bake are excellent and the salad bar at Village Market is superb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Miguel's on main street has great food.

Do a ride at Dead Horse Point (Intrepid trails) about 6:00pm. Finish up with sunset food and drinks at the point overlook. Keep a look out for small grey foxes at dusk. We rode this on Tuesday night and had the whole park to ourselves.

Mill Creek is worth hiking up (15 min) to grab a swim in the pool below the falls. The left fork will be crowded, but its pretty much the only swimming hole in town.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

get big air...

in a plane. go for a flightseeing tour out of the Moab airport north of town. a minimal tour will get you out over Canyonlands. do it early or late in the day for good light
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I second the nomination of Sabaku Sushi. The Colorado Roll is excellent.

Another non cycling activity if you have brutal heat... rent a 10' raft from Canyon Voyages and R2 the Rocky Rapid to Take-out Beach section of the Colorado (apx. 7 miles). Of if you want more mileage, the Hittle Bottom to Take-out Beach section (13 miles). It's class 2 at best, but a nice float on a 90 degree plus days. Nice views of Fisher Towers and the entire canyon. Pack a lunch, and hitch a ride for shuttle early in the day...not in the afternoon. This will run you $70 versus the $160++ guided trips will cost. Be sure to check for head winds before you head out...they can blow hard enough to force you back upstream.

Picture Unrelated
    Hike at Fisher Towers, it's fantastic. Once you're out of the fins it's not really worth continuing, but there is a nice vista out over Onion Creek at the cost of quite a bit of vertical to get there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    [QUOTEit; The Moab Diner is awesome. I wouldeat my own foot if it was smothered in green Chili.[/QUOTE]

If you do, be sure to cancel your shuttle reservation for the next day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Love Muffin Cafe= Best coffee/breakfast/lunch in Moab. Also Milts Drive in Diner. Great post ride greasy burgers and ice cream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    I have had two great meals in Moab, both establishments lasted about 2 minutes.

Why is it that restaurants in Moab are spectacularly mediocre but continue to be there year after year?

Edit; The Moab Diner is awesome. I wouldeat my own foot if it was smothered in green Chili.
    Dude, the Moab Diner is a lesson in complete mediocrity....their green chili is mainly corn starch.

What do you guys consider to be "good" food? I mean, there's nothing gourmet in Moab, but there's decent grub to be had....especially if you consider Moab Diner to be acceptable.

Go to Paradox Pizza or Fiesta Mexicana or Milt's. Or, don't even dwell on it and go ride hard and hit the brewpub or Woody's or Frankie's for a cold beer and eat whatever comes your way.

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    [QUOTE= Woody's or Frankie's for a cold beer and eat whatever comes your way.[/QUOTE]

But take your chili covered foot out of your mouth first, or she wont even talk to you.

mtbr member
    And sorry......to reply to the original question....hit Arches (any of it, but in particular....), drive up Salt Vally Road, and hike to Tower Arch....one of the most scenic and unpopulated short hikes around.

Also see Dead Horse Point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    But take your chili covered foot out of your mouth first, or she wont even talk to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Food? who cares, go to Wendy's.

Hike to Corona Arch, the drive there is really cool too. Also, hike to Morning Glory Arch/Bridge in Negro Bill Canyon.

Bicycle Addict
    Here's another vote for renting a jeep and doing some rock crawling.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    Dude, the Moab Diner is a lesson in complete mediocrity....their green chili is mainly corn starch.
    I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about that place. Never eaten there tho.

I've lived here for just short of a year and here's my take on food. I've lived in places with "better" food but good food certainly can be found in Moab.

Breakfast-ish...
    Moab Coffee Roasters -> has great coffee.
    Love Muffin -> makes awesome breakfast burritos and has good coffee. Go early, it gets packed.
    Red Rock Bakery -> Is yummy too. They'll make you all the standard breakfast items and the Scottish fella behind the counter owns the place and is quite friendly. That and there is always soccer on if you are into that

Lunch...
    Moab's weakest department. You should be out playing and eating PB&J on a slab of slickrock

Dinner...
    Jeffery's steak house -> is awesome but spendy so I hear.
    Desert Bistro -> *is* awesome and spendy.
    Parodox Pizza -> Makes awesome east coast style thin crust "city" pizza.
    Mi Ranchito -> hole in the wall mexican south of town. Not for everyone, But I think it's the best mexican in town.

mtbr member
    If you had a full day off from the bikes, you could get up early and drive down to the Needles section of Canyonlands. It is a haul, but the drive is very scenic, and the hiking from Elephant Hill trailhead is outstanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have spent time in Moab on bike...but just came back 2 weeks ago from an "on foot" trip.

On foot.....the bike options work out remarkably well on foot, especially if you enjoy trail running. I ran Porc Rim.....sweet! Plan to spend some time up on Sand Flats Road...or just head to the LaSals. The Klonidke are works really well...too as you can end up in Arches, where bikes need to dismount anyway. If you wnat to run and feel like you want someone to show you areound, check out Chris at 360 Moab Adventures....super nice guy that knows his trails.. Full Day Running Trips | Guided Tours For Runners | 360 Moab Adventures | Running Vacations | Trail Running Vacations |

For hikes, definitly do the day in arches, hit all the major features such as Fiery furnace, the Windows, and of course, Delicate arch. If time permits, head out to Devels....nice hike. Being way more water than you think.

a day up in Canyonlands, Islands district. a hike of the Neck will be a morning amazingly well spent. Bring a cooler with food/beverages. Head out to Upheaval Dome....cool stuff.

Dead horse point.....can't miss it, at sunrise or sunset especially.

i'll second Negro Bill Canyon, fisher towers (in the am)....and a drive through castle valley on the loop road, Hidden Valley, and head up Hunter Canyon off Kane Creek Road.

use the City of Moab's Official Tourism Website - Get up-to-date vacation planning information from the only official source for the city of Moab. site for lots of info.

Food...Pasta Jays' had some tasty food, I'd second the Love Muffin, and the Brewery. It is a town where people eat because they need to, not to kill time. To much else going on for that.

have fun

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    If you have the $$$ the raft trip down Westwater Canyon is fantastic. My wife and I booked the trip for our anniversary a couple years ago and we both loved it. You leave Moab via shuttle at 7:00 AM and get back around 5:00 (just in time for that *delicious* dinner at Moab Brewery! I'm a Mormon, so I don't go for the beer, but the homemade root beer is great!). I think we paid $150 per person for the trip, and it includes food and supplies if you do it through Moab Utah Moab Vacations, Moab Hotels, Weather, Tours. The ride itself is not your mom and pop float on flat water for the kiddies. Westwater has some good class IV rapids that are fun to ride.

mtbr member
    I think only one other person metioned Delicate Arch; but, if you've never seen it... you should. Crowds or no crowds, it is spectacular. Amazing to see in person the way it stands alone on the cliff edge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've heard the rock climbing in Moab is world class. That incredible friction of the rock also lends itself to being great for climbing. Surprised that hasn't been mentioned it yet.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com