Thread: Moab in March?

What Penguin???

Moab in March?

Can anyone tell me what the weather is usually like in Moab in March? Thinking about going for spring break and am wondering whether it'll be too cold.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Ah, Queen Bee, your an Alaskan.........

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Can anyone tell me what the weather is usually like in Moab in March? Thinking about going for spring break and am wondering whether it'll be too cold.
    How could Moab be too cold........How are you.....man I miss riding in Alaska.

Dave (could'nt resist robbing this thread)
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rain forecast?

Also planning a 3-day trip in early March and worried a bit about rain. Basically trying to figure out the odds of getting rained on to the point where we wouldn't be able to ride due to muddy trail conditions. 50%? 20%? 0%?

mtbr member

Options

Some of the best trails in Moab are best ridden after some moisture (Poison Spider for example). Of course, there is always slickrock (which isn't really that slick when wet). We've been to Moab for a few spring breaks (along with some XMas and TGiving vacations as well) and have been very lucky with the weather. If you get unlucky and it rains a LOT, you can always do the Arches and Canyonlands thing..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We've done a few spring break trips to moab and usually the weather is perfect for biking. You might get a cold windy rainy day where its in the 40's but generally it's in the 50-70 range. It's generally not too windy, we haven't seen much rain out there for spring break. Last year was crazy though I hear, it was pretty cold/wet with some snow in the area for spring break, had some friends go to Zion and it was ugly. It still gets cold at night camping though anywhere in the 15-30 range once the sun goes down. During the day though the temps are perfect for biking.

Check when the Jeep Jamboree is though (I think it's usually in April) because moab is a madhouse during that. To me the best months to ride moab are April and October for Tshirt weather. However people ride there year round and I've rode there in August when it's been 114 by mid day. You just have to be out on the trail early, and done by 11-noon at the latest.

I'd say your chances of loosing a day to rain are probably 20% but the trails dry out there so quick and it's so much sand, that by the next day the riding will be fine. I'd say the chances of hitting 3 days in a row in march with no riding possible are very very small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ToddM - great info, thanks!

i drink shower water
    im going to Moab in Feb for the 3 day weekend. some sources tell you just have to dress warm and it will be all good. being from Alaska i dont mind riding in the cold as long as it is dry.

mtbr member
    I'll be making my first ever trip to Moab from March 1st - 7th with a few friends. I will be leaving from Calgary, Alberta which is a bit cold at the moment. Anyone have any ideas how the weather usually is around the 1st of March in Moab. Just wondering why kinda of riding gear I'll be needing up there. 3 weeks away and I can hardly wait. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First time to Moab--you're gonna love it

Quote Originally Posted by DC6*
    I'll be making my first ever trip to Moab from March 1st - 7th with a few friends. I will be leaving from Calgary, Alberta which is a bit cold at the moment. Anyone have any ideas how the weather usually is around the 1st of March in Moab. Just wondering why kinda of riding gear I'll be needing up there. 3 weeks away and I can hardly wait. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather!
    Could be in the 40s could be in the low 70s. Could be raining, could be cloudless blue sky the whole time. Maybe windy, maybe not. Doubt if it would be raining the whole time, maybe off and on if at all. Don't let the worries of bad weather stop you. You have to go, that's all there is to it. Some of the best times I've had were just after huge rains when the waterfalls were coming down off the canyon walls, or seeing actual rivers on Slickrock trail that then shoot off some ledge. Some roads get too slick during a rain, but there are other roads that don't. February marks the last of real winter in Moab. March warms into the 70s, April into the 80s, May into the 90s, June into the 100s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Could be in the 40s could be in the low 70s. Could be raining, could be cloudless blue sky the whole time. Maybe windy, maybe not. Doubt if it would be raining the whole time, maybe off and on if at all. Don't let the worries of bad weather stop you. You have to go, that's all there is to it. Some of the best times I've had were just after huge rains when the waterfalls were coming down off the canyon walls, or seeing actual rivers on Slickrock trail that then shoot off some ledge. Some roads get too slick during a rain, but there are other roads that don't. February marks the last of real winter in Moab. March warms into the 70s, April into the 80s, May into the 90s, June into the 100s.
    Thanks for the info. No worries about bad weather at all for me! Trip is already booked so I'll be going for sure. Its hard going to work everyday knowing that I'll be in Moab at the end of the month! Since the riding season here in Calgary is almost at a halt due to the weather, this trip is exactly what I need to tide me over until spring hits down here

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

There's always a first time to Moab

Quote Originally Posted by DC6*
    Thanks for the info. No worries about bad weather at all for me! Trip is already booked so I'll be going for sure. Its hard going to work everyday knowing that I'll be in Moab at the end of the month! Since the riding season here in Calgary is almost at a halt due to the weather, this trip is exactly what I need to tide me over until spring hits down here
    I've been going to Moab since forever but it's always cool to see the looks on the faces of first-timers. When I first started heading down there the town was a lot smaller and a whole lot less busy. It's grown to accompany the hordes of visitors who have to pack their trips there into mid--March through end of May, and mid-September through mid-November.

Don' try to hit all the rides this trip. For one thing your riding fitness is probably not at peak form (!) and there's a lot to see there. If you feel all ridden out there's plenty of short hikes (like Corona Arch or Negro Bill Canyon off 128) or driving around Island in The Sky. Check out anthonys' thread "One More Year of Passion" on the Passion forum to get yourself even more psyched up. And check in here after you get back.

banned
    This should help you out.

http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/...mate/moab.html

I just spent 2 days there. It was 60 all day and about 20 at night.

Also, riding the Slickrock trial when it is wet is not advisable. Sure, it is fine for riding around in circles when it is wet, but the trail isn't flat circles. It has some serious terrain that can hurt a rider bad. There are a lot of quick and steep climbs that need all of a rider's skills. Most riders will attempt many of them, and then leap from the bike at their limit.... half way up. Dismount is required, or you crash on stone. Leaping from the bike to wet Slickrock, with riding shoes on, while on a very steep, rock hill, is not a good time for anyone.

That being said, I ride it when it is wet and in the rain for that matter. It isn't the same though as when it is nice and dry.

Have a great time! Just bring enough clothes to deal with the weather.

Temps should be good. March is one of the most unstable weather periods in SoUt, so you could have a week of bluebird or rain and wind. However, things tend to dry very quick (slickrock is VERY slick when wet, it just dries fast) so rain in the AM can mean fine riding in the PM.

Not coincidentally, March is also when things start to get crowded......

PS: Motion for a sticky Guide to Moab thread.