mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Moab Intel por favor

Heading that way in a couple of weeks from Santa Cruz to explore some of the great Moab trails (and Fruita and St George).
    I have a few questions if anyone cares to indulge:

#1 Bike: Nomad or Tallboy?
    #2 Rides: Will be with a buddy but wondering if any locals would mind showing what the locals ride (can compensate with beer!)
    or trail recommendations or any rides out of the bike shops? My first time, buddy has been (we ride all mountain stuff where we live)
    #3 Camping: Any recommendations on camping spots? Reservations necessary?

Thanks!

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    #1 Nomad (but you will also get the TB answer from others but bring the nomad)
    #2 depends, probably not but doesn't matter. Shops will point you in very fun directions just ask
    #3 Camping is harder these days. Free camping is 20min outside of town in either direction that isn't along river. 4wd helps for finding good spots. If it is hot, the La Sals are nice.

mtbr member
    #1 Nomad
    #2 The Classics - they're classics for a reason.
    #3 Here I can't help you. I always get a condo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    #1: The Nomad unless your Tallboy is the LTc.
    #2: St-George: Zen, Santa Clara rideable from Snow Canyon State park (camping), Gould's to Jem to Hurricane rim. (Tallboy faster, Nomad fun)
    Gooseberry Mesa, ALL the loops combo. Don't bother with Broken Mesa, save it for another year.
    Fruita: Horsetheif Canyon and Fun more, the Bookcliffs (check out Over the Edge in Fruita and Hurricane)
    Moab: UPS, LPS, Porcumine as well as Captain Ahab a must. The rest, ask locally (Nomad there for sure or a Tallboy LTc)

All in all, the lbs were always useful to me. The maps are great too. Most ride are easy to set up to ride by yourself too. Nomad is bit overkill in places but the better bike to bring along. That's one reason my bike is a Tallboy LTc... A true all-mountain...

Picture Unrelated
    #1 Nomad. Either will be fine, but the Nomad will shine on a few trails and you'll probably be glad you brought it.
    #2 Shops in any of the towns will be able to point you in the right direction. I wouldn't miss Amasa/Rockstacker/Jacksons or Ahab if I were in Moab though.
    #3 If you're planning on going during a weekend, try to arrive early on Friday to beat the crowds and you'll have the pick of the litter of camp sites. I think the sticky has some more information in it about camping.

To be honest about the bike, bring whichever one you like riding the most. Either would be fine, I just generally prefer a long travel bike especially when the going gets rough. And the going does get rough in Moab.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Regarding Rockstacker, just be aware, it's a truly advanced ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The Moab Trail Mix has been VERY busy building single track in Moab. 40.4 miles were completed in 2011, 42 miles in 2012, Ahab was just completed this 2013 and prospector has much in place. The Moab bike shops are selling the most up to date trail maps for a a few dollars and the money goes directly to the Moab Trail Mix to keep working on trails in Moab. KLONZO is pretty awesome in addition to the other post mentions.
    be safe! stay on the trails.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rwdbkr View Post
    Heading that way in a couple of weeks from Santa Cruz to explore some of the great Moab trails (and Fruita and St George).
    I have a few questions if anyone cares to indulge:

#1 Bike: Nomad or Tallboy?
    #2 Rides: Will be with a buddy but wondering if any locals would mind showing what the locals ride (can compensate with beer!)
    or trail recommendations or any rides out of the bike shops? My first time, buddy has been (we ride all mountain stuff where we live)
    #3 Camping: Any recommendations on camping spots? Reservations necessary?

Thanks!
    Ha! I just finished four days in Moab on my C'Dale F29 Carbon HT! Go with the Tallboy, you'll appreciate it on the climbs, of which there are many if you don't shuttle. BTW, shuttling is for softies.

Rides, like other said, the classics.

Camping??? Yuk! You're dirty, dusty and hot from the trail. What a great way to unwind at a miserable campsite. I highly recommend the Apache Hotel in Moab. Hey, if it was good enough for the Duke, it should be good enough for you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride my Tallboy all the time in Moab, go with the Tallboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Camping??? Yuk! You're dirty, dusty and hot from the trail. What a great way to unwind at a miserable campsite. I highly recommend the Apache Hotel in Moab. Hey, if it was good enough for the Duke, it should be good enough for you!
    Couldn't agree with this any less. The last place I want to be is in a sterile box isolated from the world. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Showers are nice though, and the Lazy Lizard Hostel at the south end of town has them for relatively cheap. The Aarchway campground at the intersection of hyw 313, about 9 miles north of Moab, used to have showers too, but I haven't used them in a number of years so that may have changed.

If you try to ride from any of the bike shops in town you severely limit yourself because many of the trailheads are 10-15 miles from town. I much prefer driving to trailheads, and doing multiple rides in a day instead of adding 25 miles of road grinding.

The campgrounds near town are very popular this time of year, but you can often snag a spot in the late am when the folks that are moving on hit the road. Once you have a spot it's good to hang onto it until you leave town. One place you may want to look is down the Willow Springs road, about 12 miles north of Moab (my friends say it's within beer range of town). No official campgrounds, but the BLM allows what they call dispersed camping, they just ask that you use existing campsites. Some of them are dusty and sandy but others have good bits of slickrock and they tend to stay cleaner. You will usually find a few dozen folks camped along the road. Two good trailheads are down this road as well; the southern terminus of the Sovereign trail system, and the new Klonzo trail. You could ride either of these from your tent door, and the Bar M trails are only a couple miles away as well. Have a fun trip.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by senorjax View Post
    Couldn't agree with this any less. The last place I want to be is in a sterile box isolated from the world.
    This. I'd rather be here:

In fact... tomorrow I *will* be.