Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfoot_mt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    131

    Moab or Hurricane in the Rain?

    Been planning a trip for a while with some buddies. We are heading down to UT tomorrow and hoping to ride 2 days in Utah before heading to Sedona. Looks like we can expect rain on Friday and Sat. I had been leaning toward Hurricane, but Jem is no good in the rain, and cant get up the road to Goose in the rain.
    In Moab I have ridden sovereign when it was muddy and dont want to repeat that. Seems like Amasa back and slick rock should be good. What about the Bar-M trails?
    If you could help us decide that would be sweet. Also looks like Hurricane is 90% chance rain and Moab is 50% chance rain/snow.

  2. #2
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Typically, here in Moab, you can ride shortly after rain with no issues and often it's BETTER. Probs is we are just drying out. Depending on the amount of precip, it could certainly make things sloppy again. Amasa and slickrock are certainly the best in the rain. Bar M really gets sloppy. I know it's low and fairly sunny but it's also less rocky comparably.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot_mt View Post
    Been planning a trip for a while with some buddies. We are heading down to UT tomorrow and hoping to ride 2 days in Utah before heading to Sedona. Looks like we can expect rain on Friday and Sat. I had been leaning toward Hurricane, but Jem is no good in the rain, and cant get up the road to Goose in the rain.
    In Moab I have ridden sovereign when it was muddy and dont want to repeat that. Seems like Amasa back and slick rock should be good. What about the Bar-M trails?
    If you could help us decide that would be sweet. Also looks like Hurricane is 90% chance rain and Moab is 50% chance rain/snow.
    I rode in Hurricane/St. George last month in the rain. Jem, Goulds, & Hurricane were a no go after heavy rain. We got stuck on the road to Gooseberry too but this was after pretty heavy rain for 2 days straight. My friends rode Gooseberry last weekend and the road was dry. My guess is if it doesn't rain hard on friday and saturday you might be ok to go to Gooseberry. Check with the bike shop in Hurricane before you go out. Little Creek Mesa is another option that is close to Gooseberry if the Gooseberry road is mudded out. The road going up to little creek is much much better in wet conditions. The zen trail in St. George is good to go in the rain. I'm not sure about the others in the area (barrel roll, sidewinder, suicidal tendencies, bear claw poppy) after heavy rain. My friends said that those trails were quite dry this last weekend though and could use a little water to make hero dirt. St. George is also warmer than Moab...

  4. #4
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,803
    You'll get murdered by the locals if you ride Little Creek when it's muddy. Just a public service announcement.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You'll get murdered by the locals if you ride Little Creek when it's muddy. Just a public service announcement.
    And I will supply the rope for the lynching. Seriously though, riding in the wet destroys the flow on Little Creek and Jem. A rut put in the mud will still be there the next year unless somebody physically digs it up and packs it back in with fill dirt. Your best bets for wet riding in this area are Zen and Prospector / Church Rocks / Dino Cliffs. They are all sand and slickrock; you won't hurt anything.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    86
    Too bad the locals didn't lynch all the ATV riders that nearly destroyed the Little Creek Trails before they left their mark up there...

  7. #7
    YRG
    YRG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    269
    Last time riding goose, we ran into a bunch of atv'rs. Funnest, coolest people I think I've ever met on the trail. Completely hilarious! Way nicer that some of what is going on in this thread. Part of passionate riding is cleaning up other folks mistakes, it's not a big deal.

  8. #8
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Moab or Hurricane in the Rain?

    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Last time riding goose, we ran into a bunch of atv'rs. Funnest, coolest people I think I've ever met on the trail. Completely hilarious! Way nicer that some of what is going on in this thread. Part of passionate riding is cleaning up other folks mistakes, it's not a big deal.
    Nothing unkind going on here. We're just trying to correct erroneous information that some particular trails are ok to ride when wet.

    Fixing other peoples mistakes is a big deal. Have you done trail work? It's a real pita trying to smooth out huge ruts from atvs and post holes from horses.

  9. #9
    YRG
    YRG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Nothing unkind going on here. We're just trying to correct erroneous information that some particular trails are ok to ride when wet.

    Fixing other peoples mistakes is a big deal. Have you done trail work? It's a real pita trying to smooth out huge ruts from atvs and post holes from horses.
    yep,
    try to do at least a couple hundred hours a year. Given a choice, I would rather work on some new feature than fix something broken. I understand the intent of correcting bad info. "Lynching" just sounds like something other than helping others to understand they might not know. And the people who don't know, probably don't read this thread.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Nothing unkind going on here. We're just trying to correct erroneous information that some particular trails are ok to ride when wet.

    Fixing other peoples mistakes is a big deal. Have you done trail work? It's a real pita trying to smooth out huge ruts from atvs and post holes from horses.
    Happy Riding!!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
  2. Rain bike or rain diversions?
    By francois in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM
  3. Rain in Moab?
    By onobed in forum Utah
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 09:49 AM
  4. Thank God for Moab (rain in salt lake)
    By ilovemtnbiking in forum Utah
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 02:26 PM
  5. Let it rain..let it rain, Marin Stoke!
    By Guitarzan415 in forum Turner
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •