Thread: Moab guide book

I need a new name
    Jun 2004

Moab guide book

Anybody got a recommendation for a Moab guide book? Also, what's the word on beer in Utah. I've heard buy in Colorado since Utah doesn't allow the good stuff but then I've also heard there is a good chance of getting a ticket for hauling beer across the state line. What's the official word?

mtbr member
    Just about every store in town sells a guide book. Bring alcahol across state line and risk a ticket, or stop by the state liquor store in town and load up. Two breweries in town also. You won't have any trouble getting drunk in Utah, if that is your pleasure.

Also, a quick search here will lead you to a few threads on these subjects.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    +1 for Rider Mel's. They are $15.00 at any Moab bike shop, but you really don't need a guidebook. There are beaucoup bikers around. If you need directions-just ask.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I was mainly interested in the guide book for some reading material between now and then. I have a map of the area from visiting in 1999. I suppose an updated one is probably a good idea.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Lee Bridger's "Mountain Biking Moab" is another option to satisfy "reading material". He includes several essays from his POV of Moab, mountain biking, and the world. His 1st edition stirred up some controversy with his less than diplomatic reviews of local restaurants...but hey, colorful people are a part of Moab!

Canuck on this Rock

Rider Mel

One more vote for Rider Mel's book. I have ridden Moab before and got the book anyway. It was informative, and really liked the 'yellow pages' section in the back with all the numbers and addresses of all the businesses.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    OT: Username Rider Mel replied to one of my posts about four weeks ago. I wonder if he is the auther of Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Moab?

alien exchange student

Hi, that's me!

Howdy and thanks for recommending my book. I'm glad it worked for you. I try not to get involved in promoting my products online but it was nice to see others providing positive reviews. I'm happy to help out by answering questions.

Cheers!

Mel

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel
    Howdy and thanks for recommending my book. I'm glad it worked for you. I try not to get involved in promoting my products online but it was nice to see others providing positive reviews. I'm happy to help out by answering questions.

Cheers!

Mel

Oh please! You are always on here whoring out your book several times a day! Just look at your post count!

Just kidding of course.

We have used Rider Mel's book for years. Never steered us wrong. Well written and easy to follow.

Well, 'cept for that one time we got lost on Flat Pass and ended up on Steelbender which is NOT a bike trail. No big deal though, it was a cool 95 degrees that day.
    This may or may not (probably not) have been Mel's fault.
    [SIZE=2]
    Slow and steady gets you...7th place.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Hey! Where is everybody going??"[/SIZE]