mtbr member
    May 2012

Moab/Fruita or St. George?

Planning a trip to Utah next week. Trying to decide between 1/2 Moab and 1/2 Fruita or all St. George. Have 7 nights total, 3 intermediate girls (from Fernie BC) and 2 dogs (that we would like to bring on trails where possible).

I have been to Moab only, others have not been to any of it. We can get cheaper/better accoms in St. George. Plus the weather looks warmer further south

I know that we will not be having the dogs on trails in Moab because of the slickrock and their paws. Fruita and St. George we have been told is fine for dogs on the trails.

How do you compare the areas? Do you recommend one over the other? We are used to all mountain riding, but understand that all these areas are more XC with a couple downhill options (Whole Enchilada etc).

thanks!

Picture Unrelated
    This is why "all mountain" is a meaningless term; if the riding in Moab isn't "all mountain" then I don't know what is. I think most would agree that Amasa to Jacksons or the Lunch Loops in GJ are pretty all mountain, but then again most people's opinion of what XC means is pretty far from what XC racing actually is.

It's really hard to say that one is better than another; if I were taking some riders who haven't been to the region before then I might give the edge to Moab based solely on the Mecca-esque mystique it carries. Both are beautiful, both have good riding, Moab is a better town, St George will likely be a bit warmer... really it's hard to go wrong.

What type of riding do you like to do? Tech rocks? Sweeping singletrack? Little bit of everything? If you're looking for a particular experience it might help the suggestions you get.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

I'd rather be biking...
    I am a STG resident and ride fruita and moab often. You have a tough decision to make.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here in Fernie we have long technical ups and downs with lots of roots and some rock. I found Moab very XC in comparison, even though it was technical in many areas, it did not have that long up then long down that I think of as all mountain.

Terms aside, we are looking for a fun getaway with good moderately technical downhills, my companions are fairly big downhillers (will shuttle and ride at the ski hill often), I am not, I prefer a good workout to an adrenaline rush. That being said I LOVE a good flowy, buff trail that I can go fast on. We have very little in the way of Buff trails here, and they are a real treat. So I would say, a little bit of everything would be ideal!

We don't want to have to drive too far to hit the trails either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Whichever area you choose, your riding companions will be experiencing a whole new world of riding: no shuttles except TWE which I bet is snowed in on top by now anyway. The rest, pedal up ride down. Hope they bring appropriate pedaling bikes.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Paste eater
    The desert SW is inherently more technical than many other places. Moab even more so. Same could be said for SW UT. Many of the rides are not 'a long climb followed by a descent'. That being said, some are and most every ride is 1K+ climbing. 6inch bikes are certainly the bike of choice amongst locals...

Conditions are going to be similar on your dogs paws in all aforementioned locations. Truth is, doggy rides abound, it just takes a while for their pads to adjust. Our border/pointer mix has very tough pads now and we've never had to clip her toenails :P. In fact, we have to watch her hind outside nails as those can wear down to the point where the bleed. While GJ/Fruita can be a bit more gravel like, we've found this to actually be MORE irritating to the paws as the gravel can work it's way between pads.

In regards Moab & Fruita Vs SW UT, there's plenty to ride in both areas. It may be a little easier to find your way in Moab/Fruita.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for all the input looks like I will have to make SG a trip for another time. One of our group is adamant about going to Moab, I don't blame her, you have to go once right??!!

We are going to try and shuttle part of TWE, starting at Hazard county, as I agree that Burro pass will be snowed in. We all have 5.5 to 6 inch bikes for this trip, that can pedal just fine.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    We are going to try and shuttle part of TWE, starting at Hazard county, as I agree that Burro pass will be snowed in.

Burro IS snowed in. So is Hazard, KoKo and UPS. Getting up to Hazard isn't out of the question as there is warming trend, but I wouldn't count on it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    that is too bad about Hazard and lower. Oh well, lots of other fantastic trails to hit!

Bike Snob
    If the TWE is off the table because of snow I would go to the StG.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Unfortunately we had to pull St. George off the list as one of the people coming really wants to go to Moab.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A fun shuttle ride in Fruita/GJ is the ribbon trail. It can be ridden too, but we rode it as a shuttle and then ended up in the lunch loops area. Look up Desert Rat tours for a ride. Sara and the guy (sorry man forgot your name) led the ride we were on and we had a great time. Not sure, but I think the top was pretty high up so it might be a weather permitting ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Based on the type of riding it looks like you're after, I'd do the Moab/fruita route anyway. You know what Moab has to offer and Fruita has the Lunch Loops area (Ribbon Trail) that is as AM'ish as it gets from the top. Then the 18 Road area in Fruita has some of the stuff you're used to as it relates to the climb up/ride down theory BUT the key is all that down is the buffest singletrack collection I've ever ridden....Kessels, Zippety do dah, Chutes & Ladders and now PBR as well.

The StG area is definitely more XC than Fruita or Moab IMO but I love the area and it's the closest to us in SoCal. Just went back 2 weeks ago and rode Little Creek Mesa for my 1st time...my new fave out that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's something new and exciting that no one's mentioned (and I've done a few times). Just park at the bottom of the Porc singletrack and ride UP till the snow gets to be too deep, turn around and bomb back down. Really, it's a great out and back.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    If the TWE is off the table because of snow I would go to the StG.
    Meh, whatever. Even with the only the 1/2 enchilada available to ride, there is so much more great riding.

If you go to Fruita I highly recommend the Ribbon shuttle. Super easy shuttle and easy to navigate...

I prefer more technical riding. In order of preference I'd ride...

1) Lunch Loops (ribbon)
    2) Kokopelli (loma)
    3) 18rd (north frutia desert)

Bike Snob
    [QUOTE=Jwind;9820945]Meh, whatever. Even with the only the 1/2 enchilada available to ride, there is so much more great ri

I say that as a resident of St.George. I go to Moab to ride TWE and then some other stuff because we are already ther
    I prefer the riding in StG, that its why I live here.

Fruita on the other hand..........