Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab/Fruita - coming from Texas

828 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  KThaxton 
#1 ·
Hey Riders,

I'm coming up there from Galveston, TX @ Aug26-Sep 7. Originally we planned a fruita trip, but realized we couldn't be that close to Moab without going. So now we've scheduled 3 days in Moab after Fruita. I've seen some trail suggestions and were pretty decent XC/Technical riders and climbers but as you can imagine not a lot of long descents/rocks here in South Texas. So any good intermediate trails for XC/AM riders? We want Downhill, but we don't have the experience for anything Epic.
The bikes we are bringing are Blur XCc (100 mm), Jamis Parker 1(120mm) and a Tallboy(100mm). We are definitely looking for a challenge, scenery, experience but nothing that could kill us(3 dudes with with excellent stamina). We ride on SB8's (32-35psi) any suggestion for tires/PSI on the slick rock? Is it mostly all slick rock/windy/cold? We ride thru trees and dense woods so how's the wind in those open spaces.

Thanks

#4 ·
Small part if...

KThaxton said:
Well, you won't have to worry about cold, you'll probably welcome any wind that may be there. Unless you hit the Whole Enchilada, you may be chilly for a small part of the ride.
your skinning up to Burro Pass. The Whole Enchilada is under an immense amount of snow. Pay attention people, this is a record setting year for snow.

#7 ·
Idiot Boy 1 said:
I am an idiot. In that case bring an air conditioner cause it's a tad toasty that time of year;)
I'm from Texas, we've got heat AND humidyt. A little dry heats not gonna bother me. Any suggestions on the tires for that terrain? I ride Small Block 8's 2.10 for the hardpack clay here. What's good on slick rock? I was thinking Hutcison Cobra Air Light maybe 2.25 or 2.10

#9 ·
Texas is...

Mozzer said:
I'm from Texas, we've got heat AND humidyt. A little dry heats not gonna bother me. Any suggestions on the tires for that terrain? I ride Small Block 8's 2.10 for the hardpack clay here. What's good on slick rock? I was thinking Hutcison Cobra Air Light maybe 2.25 or 2.10
where the Bible belt meets the sun belt. Southern fried freakishness. The hottest week I've ever spent was a week in east Texas summer heat. Thought I would die. In Moab if your camping find a nice shady spot down by the river near the exit of porcupine, a swim after riding is always nice. It's the sun that gets too you in Utah.

Old tires you don't care about are the best tires on slick rock. You will eat up a set of tires in no time. The traction is so good that you could ride a lot of Moab on slicks. Personally I've been riding 2.35 small blocks and find them to be just dandy. For Burro pass on down I bring a bigger bike with big a@# tires. What I would do is bring a couple sets of tires, old ones for slick rock and big tires (over 2.25) for everything else.

Enjoy, it really is all that its cracked up to be:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.