mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Moab during Jeep Safari week...Insane?

Haven't been to the desert in a while. a group that we usually go with in the fall has made plans to go 3/22 - 3/25. Moab events calendar says that coincides with Moab 100, Moab 50, 24 hrs of Moab (i believe all running events, not biking) and the first weekend of Jeep Safari.

Are we insane to go? it will be the first time there with our daughter at an age she can ride some of the gentler trails, and we'll probably stick to more bike specific trails than popular jeep routes. but i am concerned about 2 hour waits at Moab brewery, general mayhem in town, and nuisance at the trailheads.

We've already got lodging booked, but can back out...

thanks for any insight.

Paste eater
    Moab during Easter Jeep Safari week, are we screwed?

Cliff notes:
    Trails are fine. Stick to Singletrack. Town is a mob scene. And yes, long wait at the brewery - but there is always an unreasonable wait there.
    Last edited by Jwind; 03-14-2013 at 08:28 AM.

More Chasmism
    A lot has changed in the past ten years. Jeep Safari Week (and its bracketing weekends) no longer stand out so conspicuously from the other Spring weekends in Moab. This is due to three main trends:

(1) The free-wheeling party days of Jeep Safari have been curtailed substantially from their peak of ten or so years ago. More law enforcement, tighter restrictions, exclusive use certain trails for Safari participants, etc. All of this has sliced the top of the peak of the Jeep Safari madness.

(2) The other Spring weekends (March though May) have all gotten much busier. Moab has more events period (including more 4 X 4 events), and Jeep Safari stands out as less uniquely crowded among so many crowded weekends. Name any outdoor activity or style of outdoor race, and there is probably a Spring weekend devoted to it here.

(3) The extreme rockcrawling thing that had set itself up as a sort of Jeep Safari side show about four to five years ago has waned significantly. I'm not sure why, but people around here seem to theorize that the high cost of the pursuit and the downturn in the economy (which has NOT hurt Moab business overall) has disproportionately affected the rockcrawling thing.

As jwind said, town will be busy BUSY but that is true of any weekend in Spring.

What's more, the explosion of singletracks in Moab over the last few years, with whole networks devoted to non-motorized use, has rendered the "too many jeeps on the trail" thing nearly irrelevant, esp. for the beginner and intermediate rides that have been constructed. Couple that with the exclusive use policy of Jeep Safari, which closes the main jeep roads (such as Amasa, aka Cliffhanger) to all but a single group of registered participants -- but does NOT close the same trails to bicycles -- and you have little reason to not come.

And if you come and town is packed, and you wait an hour for a table at the Brewery, don't blame the jeeps before coming any other weekend through May and seeing the same thing.

Enjoy.

hfly
    Last edited by hfly; 03-14-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Your Best Friend
    You already have your lodging taken care of, that's the hard part. Just come and enjoy it. Plenty for singletrack to enjoy.

Paste eater
    Hfly makes a very good point. Pretty much every weekend is crazy in Moab until fall. Last weekend was the skinny tire festival, this weekend is the Canyonlands 1/2 marathon. Then 24 hours of Moab, Jeep Safari, Car Show, music festival... Etc, ect...

Honestly, it's pretty entertaining to see all the crazy OHV buzzing around and at the end of the day grab a 6 pack of near beer and roll on over to Potato Salad hill and watch a splendiferous display of red neckery.

Pay a little attention to not be rolling out Gemini Bridges rd or maybe Amasa when the planned rides are, but other than that, there is more than enough non-motorized trail to stay way form the jeeps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reassurance. i have no doubt we'll have fun on the trails and really the scene in town should be "interesting."

Thanks also for not chastising me for not searching before posting, as i see a nearly identical thread from last year with some great insight too. hfly, your 3 reasons are slightly different this year but no less true nor valuable ;-)

Thanks, it's on!

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by couteau View Post
    hfly, your 3 reasons are slightly different this year but no less true nor valuable ;-)

Thanks, it's on!
    lol. Guess I'll have to revise / refine my three reasons again for 2014.

I also forgot to mention that the first weekend and middle week pale in comparison to the jeepiness of the second (Easter) weekend.